Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liquor store boarded up in Luzerne County

With Fine Wine & Spirits stores now closed in Pennsylvania, the Liquor Control Board is boarding several of them up.

fine-wine-and-good-spirits-store-2-1.png

Liquor Control Board work crews are first tackling what are considered high-risk locations vulnerable to break-ins.​

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson warns of tougher action if advice ignored

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson warns of tougher action if advice ignored

• Govt will impose tougher restrictions if Britons ignore advice
  • PM does not want to close down access to parks and playground due to mental and physical benefits
  • NHS to begin sending out letters to 1.5 million people considered at high risk
  • Nicola Sturgeon says a few pubs have remained open in Scotland, and emergency powers will force closure
  • Coronavirus deaths continue to rise in UK
  • Crime gangs are seeking to exploit the pandemic, investigators warn
  • Self-isolators escaping to countryside branded 'irresponsible'

Just heard that on CNN. It was followed by discussion of whether or not everyone in Congress should/would be tested. I hope not. Doesn't seem fair that regular citizens can only be tested if they have specific symptoms.
Actually, I think we do need to monitor and keep track of our top tier politicians right now. In this time of severe crisis, we need Congress and the White House to carry out very important policies to help safeguard our nation's very survival.

If our top politicians began dropping like flies, it could end in a total disaster, even a military coup or something like that. I may not have explained it well, but my point is, we need to keep our Democratic Government strong and healthy right now, because our nation's future depends upon it. JMO

CT - Update a/o 3/22/2020:

View from the Ground: Testing remains an ongoing issue in the underprepared State of CT unfortunately. Mobile testing locations have been set up but waiting times for results are uncertain and criteria to qualify for testing mean that unless you are showing symptoms you cannot be tested. State Lab capacity remains static and is being used for hospitalised patients only as promised increased capacity hasn't materialized. Hospital workers appear to have necessary gear at present but inventory is low going into uptick in cases in coming days. Sadly, many people are choosing to not follow closure and social distancing guidelines and police are having to use their resources to shut down basketball and baseball games along with parties in parks. Very disappointing to see this level of response in many locations throughout the State.

223 Cases of Coronavirus Now in Connecticut; State Announces Fifth Death

223 Cases of Coronavirus Now in Connecticut; State Announces Fifth Death

223 people in Connecticut have now tested positive or are presumptive positive for COVID-19, according to the most recent testing data released by the state on Saturday.

Of those cases, most are in Fairfield County (roughly 40-50 miles from NYC).

The state also announced the fifth death of a Connecticut resident from coronavirus.

This is the first death of a Connecticut resident in Tolland County and outside of Fairfield County.

The complete breakdown of coronavirus cases across the state is as follows:

• 140 are in Fairfield County
  • 35 are in Hartford County
  • 11 are in Litchfield County
  • 6 are in Middlesex County
  • 24 are in New Haven County
  • 1 are in New London County
  • 5 are in Tolland County
  • 1 are in Windham County
Earlier on Saturday, NBC Connecticut learned about new cases across the state, including ones in the Uncas Health District and in Fairfield.

Governor Ned Lamont has ordered all non-essential businesses to close by 8 p.m. on Monday, March 23.

More details on what is considered an essential business is expected to release on Sunday, but the state did provide some early guidance.

Lamont's latest executive order, his tenth since the coronavirus crisis began, was signed on Saturday and included modifications to DSS benefits to copayments on some state health insurance plans.

Lamont said the state has received more than 100 responses to individuals, businesses and organizations looking to donate personal protective equipment to the state.

Items being requested by the state at this time include:

• N95 respirators
  • Face masks/surgical masks
  • Face shields
  • Surgical gowns
  • Gloves (nitrile, or non-latex)
  • Thermometers
  • Thermometer Covers
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Other medical items
If you have items you can donate, you are asked to fill out the online form at www.211ct.org/DonationsCOVID19.

Coronavirus News From Around The World

Mozambique has also confirmed its first case to be a patient who had recently travelled from the UK, according to Reuters.

Grenada has reported its first case of coronavirus, local sources report. The patient is said to have recently travelled from the UK.

A 95-year-old Czech man infected with the new coronavirus has died, the country’s first victim of the pandemic, the chief of the Czech crisis committee said.

The Costa Rican government has announced 17 more Covid-19 cases, bringing the total to 134. President Carlos Alvarado said the virus how now spread to all parts of the country and urged Costa Ricans not to drop their guard against the virus.

Coronavirus live news: Angela Merkel in quarantine; Spain set to extend state of emergency

#StayHomeSaveLives

“Colorado saw its coronavirus cases on Saturday make the largest single-day jump for the third straight day, with 112 new confirmed cases reported, bringing the total to 475. Two additional deaths were reported, bringing the total to six.

As case numbers rise, so does the number of disruptions in the lives of Coloradans. Life as we knew it has come to a halt. Across the state, many are working from home, kitchen tables have transformed into school desks, churches are going virtual and the working class wonders how bills will be paid.”

Coronavirus in Colorado: March 22 updates from The Denver Post

Last edited:
I am so torn on this. I scheduled for cleaning people to come tomorrow as usual and now I don't know whether to just pay them and not have them clean. I have gloves for them in case they don't have them. I suppose that I could wipe down the faucets, door knobs etc.. after they leave. I am so spoiled and have never been much of a housekeeper. What to do, What to do, What to do...

They need masks and goggles more than gloves. Viral shedding is from mucous membranes. Something that keeps them from touching nose or eyes, which people do naturally all day long, because we get stuff in our eyes or whatever.

Of course you must wipe down door knobs and such if they aren't wearing gloves when they leave - but even if they have gloves, if they don't have goggles and masks (and probably hair covering too), their gloves will be contaminated with whatever they have.

Keep in mind that this particular virus survives and multiplies on door knobs and similar.

It survives on hard surfaces like laminate as well. Doesn't survive so well on granite (not porous) or even on paper (but can persist on cardboard for 3-5 hours). At least, that was what they were saying a few days ago.

You'd want to go outside and also air the house afterward, because if they are shedding virus (asymptomatic carriers), your house would now contain it.

We are paying people but not having them work for certain personal services. A lot depends on where you live and where they live and how many cases there are. If there are no cases at all in your city, I'd feel a little easier about it. However, I've been on the wrong side of "dumb luck" in medical issues, so that I no longer rely on it.

President Trump approves major disaster declaration for Washington state
44 min ago

“FEMA announced Sunday that federal emergency aid has been made available for the state of Washington to supplement the state, tribes and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

President Donald Trump approved the major disaster declaration for Washington, making federal funding available for crisis counseling for affected individuals in the state.”

-more at link

There are some fascinating documentaries on youtube.

I just watched one done by Penn Museum on the 1918 Spanish flu. google Spanish flu Philadelphia and look for it. It is an hour long.

We were never taught about 1918 in school, and they just about said so in the presentation. Pandemics were kept secret. This is a topic that should not have been passed over or kept secret. No wonder many of us don't even know what is going on, except for crisis learning in the last week. I encourage you to watch these old flicks.

Actually, I think we do need to monitor and keep track of our top tier politicians right now. In this time of severe crisis, we need Congress and the White House to carry out very important policies to help safeguard our nation's very survival.

If our top politicians began dropping like flies, it could end in a total disaster, even a military coup or something like that. I may not have explained it well, but my point is, we need to keep our Democratic Government strong and healthy right now, because our nation's future depends upon it. JMO
Absolutely. Just imagine our president falling ill. I can't even envision what type of panic all over the country will ensue from that.

I completely agree with you.

View attachment 239876

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic

The Tucson Police Department released images of a man who was allegedly disguised as a delivery driver when he entered the El Rio Health Center on Friday just before 8pm.

Surveillance video shows the suspect leaving in what appears to be a reddish colored Dodge Charger or similar style vehicle.

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic | Daily Mail Online

I really hope they catch him.

What is he even going to do with them? Useless without the proper lab. Sell them on the black market?

If he's connected with a medical lab in anyway, he's going to jail and will never work in that industry again. I can't believe that's the case.

So what does he think he's going to do with them?

A dear friend and her DH went mushroom picking yesterday for outdoor recreation away from people. While there, they found what looks like a human ulna bone deep in the woods!

They brought it out with them, and drove to the police substation. It was closed due to COVID19. They were able to get hold of someone at the Medical Examiner's office, and the ME is going to come pick it up from them tomorrow.

Here's a picture of the bone, with ketchup bottle for size comparison.

60652544261__8953B722-398C-46AE-B919-610A08174A15.JPG

This was found in Eastern King County, Washington

Better than nothing - if snuggly fitted. I've got tons of Washi tape, never thought I'd use it all.

I keep yelling at the TV because so many mask wearers have them on loosely (which is one reason why some people shouldn't wear them - virus gets in and then is trapped closer to the nose). It takes some experimentation (and masking tape or washi tape?) to get a good luck.

Washi tape is more fashionable. :cool:

Not a political post

I noticed that, during the WH press conference yesterday, VP Pence had no symptoms, yet both he and his wife were tested because his staffer was positive for COVID19.

Would a test even be needed? And if "Negative", that is sort of wasteful, because he had no symptoms at all. According to their own guidelines, he should be in quarantine for 2 weeks.
When you are the Vice President of a nation, you have key, important responsibilities, especially in the time of a national crisis. He is the head of our CV Task force.

Certainly the man who is in charge of our CV task Force should be routinely tested and monitored, so he can fulfill his important duties at this critical time. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member