Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is having trouble getting through to someone that is normally very scientific and reasonable ask them to take 15 minutes and watch this video by Dr Campbell explaining how the virus spreads:

I have a family member who works long hours and barely pays attention to the news. The last this person heard the news was saying this was no worse than the flu and they have tuned out everything since then, thinking the world is overreacting to cancel events and shut things down. This person thought I was over reacting in telling them to wear a mask and gloves to go to the grocery store and to avoid crowded areas.

I sent a birthday gift to another family member recently and told them to leave it on their porch for a few days or wear gloves, open outside and leave the box outside and wipe down the contents with disinfectant wipes before bringing back inside. Said family member thought I was crazy and said they would open my gift as soon as it came so they could thank me.

My family members are both scientific minded people but in their minds the precautions I was advising were too much and they thought I had turned into a germ-a-phobe over this Corona Virus. I sent both these people the above video last night and asked them to please take 15 minutes to watch. I'm not sure if it got through to the first one but the 2nd one watched and now understands. All boxes and mail will be left (hidden) on their enclosed porch for at least 24 hours before opening and they are telling their neighbors to do the same.

In Seattle, It Started With Panic. Then the Deeper Anxiety Set In.

“Since she lives in a state where cannabis is legal, she visited her local dispensary this week, hoping to buy some relief. Even that backfired. There were seven people in a small shop and “no one was gloving-up or masked or practicing true social distance,” she said. “I was extra panicky.””

[...]

“But in Washington State, where the U.S. outbreak began and where there have been more than 1,600 confirmed cases and more than 90 deaths, the initial shock has given way to complicated philosophical questions about survival, humanity and the future.

“This is such a unique and rare circumstance in history and in our lives,” said Andrew Fleming, a psychologist who also runs, with his wife, a wedding venue on their farm on San Juan Island, north of Seattle. “In 10 years, in 20 years, in 30 years, we will be asking each other, ‘What did you do during the coronavirus?’ and we will be asking ourselves, ‘How did you respond?’”

-more at link

NY....

One of my coworkers died today from #COVID19. Not much older, great guy. We were just sitting together a couple weeks ago, talking about whatever. The next time I saw him, he was admitted to the ICU. And that was the last time I saw him.
My whole body feels numb.
B. Bobby Chiong, MD on Twitter

At a meeting two weeks ago, before we started working remotely, the dean of our medical school said soberly "we are going to lose colleagues."
Now it is happening.

DONT GIVE UP TONY....WE NEED YOU

"I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down." Top U.S. scientist Anthony Fauci about his almost-daily press conferences with @realDonaldTrump. And lots more in this candid Q&A by @sciencecohen: 'I’m going to keep pushing.' Anthony Fauci tries to make the White House listen to facts of the pandemic | Science | AAAS
Martin Enserink on Twitter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/23/coronavirus-trump-anthony-fauci/

Thank you. Yes, I will tell her to contact the health department. I think she is feeling alone, run down, and confused by the lack of support/friends she really has out there. Guidance like the health department is helpful. Because she has no health coverage I imagine she is also feeling helpless.
Thank you for the kindness and words of support sunshine~
jmo

I believe the bill the House passed indicated hospital care for diagnosed patients that insurance doesn’t cover would be covered by the government. Which means those of us without insurance it would cover all. Not sure once it gets through the senate but the federal government knows many won’t be able to pay for it. Please let her know not to worry about that and if she has chest pressure like being sat on by a cat, or difficulty breathing she should immediately get medical care because respiratory distress can come on quickly

Kudos to you. I have no desire to cook or eat. Zero appetite. I have everything to make a pound cake, but just no motivation to bake.

I was like that last week. Can’t say I really want to eat, I’m just finding comfort in cooking and baking...I suppose because they’re such normal activities compared to the scary reality around us.

Attachments

• 200323002623-03-california-beach-coronavirus-0321-super-169.jpg
    200323002623-03-california-beach-coronavirus-0321-super-169.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 16
Should China count recovered coronavirus patients who test positive again?

Those who retest positive have already been reported as confirmed cases in their initial test, so they will not be repeatedly counted as new cases,” he said.

While there are no national numbers for those who retest positive, health authorities in Guangdong province, in the country’s south, said late last month that about 14 per cent of patients – more than a hundred at the time – who recovered from the coronavirus tested positive again after being discharged.

Wang Xinhua, president of Guangzhou Medical University, said there were usually two reasons discharged patients tested positive again for coronavirus.

“One is because they were only carrying a small amount of virus when they were discharged. More tests will need to be conducted on such patients for accuracy,” Wang said.

“The other possible situation is that the patients get reinfected. It’s not clear if they have acquired a strong immunity after recovery. [Reinfection] is not a high possibility but it is still possible.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3076484/should-china-count-recovered-coronavirus-patients-who-test

#StayHomeSaveLives

Colombia prison riot: 23 dead in incident prompted by coronavirus fears, Ministry of Justice says - CNN

A prison riots in Colombia prompted by coronavirus fears has left at least 23 inmates dead and 83 injured, the country's Ministry of Justice said on Sunday.

There was a "massive and criminal escape attempt" at the Bogota's La Modelo prison, one of the country's largest and most overpopulated prisons, Justice Minister Margarita Cabello said in a video address. That incident resulted in the deaths and injuries. Cabello said there also were "revolts at different penitentiary centers in the country."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288