Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing a lot of reading (unfortunately) about human decomposition to try to nail down an idea in my head about when, or if Gannon was placed in a suitcase and whether anyone would have noticed. If he was kept in a storage trailer for any amount of time, and there was ANYONE accessing the inside to help LS “move”, I HIGHLY doubt that after being deceased 3-4 day, nobody noticed.
Here are two sources. One goes extremely in depth and gives incredibly unpleasant details, while the other is more friendly and has less details, but elaborates on the stages using days deceased.

5 Stages of Human Decomposition | Bio Socal

Stage 1 – Initial Breakdown

As soon as death occurs, the body temperature starts cooling to match the surrounding temperature around it. Without blood and oxygen flow, muscular tissues become rigid and the blood pools into the lower extremities. Then, as the bacteria in the intestines devour the intestinal walls, cells lose their structural integrity and cellular enzymes are released to begin breaking down the cells themselves and surrounding tissues. Microbes also start breaking down carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids. Most of this breakdown occurs inside the body and is not visible from the outside. At the end of this stage, blowflies and flesh flies arrive to lay eggs.

Stage 2 – Bloating
As bacteria multiply and process bodily materials, they produce gasses such as methane, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and hydrogen sulfide which bloat the body. These gasses build up pressure in the body and push fluids out through natural openings including the mouth, nose, and anus. If insects are present, maggots begin to hatch and feed on body tissues causing the skin to slip, the hair to detach, and the surface to rupture. These additional openings provide even more surface area for insects and bacteria, thereby quickening the decaying process. This emitting of gasses and fluids is what causes the greatest amount of odor during the decaying process.

Stage 3 – Active Decay
It’s during the active decaying process the most body mass is lost due to bacteria and insects processing the body material along with liquids being released into the surrounding environment. During this stage, the area of decomposition expands into the surroundings and the most insects are present while they feed on bodily fluids. This stage ends when the maggots leave the body.

Stage 4 – Advanced Decay
By this stage, most soft tissues have already decomposed and only bones, hair, cartilage, ligaments, and sticky byproducts of decomposition are left. Insects with chewing mouthparts such as beetles and certain types of flies are attracted at this stage and arrive to chew on and process this tougher material.

Stage 5 – Dry Remains
The last stage is when all byproducts of decomposition have dried up and only the skeleton and perhaps some hair are left. Beetles and flies eat anything softer that remains, and mites and moth larvae digest the hair. Exposed to the elements, the bones lighten in color and are eventually reclaimed by the earth.

Speed of Decomposition
How quickly a body decomposes depends on several factors: surrounding temperature, whether the body is buried or exposed to air or water, and the number of bacteria present. A body that is exposed to the elements such as air and water will decompose faster and have more insect activity than a body buried or confined in a sealed space. In similar fashion, a body decomposing in warm temperatures will break down faster than if it is left in a cold environment. The exception to this is if the temperature is so hot that moisture, a needed component in decay, isn’t present. In that case, the body mummifies and dries out.

However fast or slow a body decomposes and goes through these five stages, it is nature’s way of releasing the materials back into the earth so new life can be born again.

https://www.aftermath.com/content/human-decomposition/

• 24-72 hours after death — the internal organs decompose.
  • 3-5 days after death — the body starts to bloat and [URL='http://www.enkivillage.com/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-body-to-decompose.html']blood-containing foam
  • leaks from the mouth and nose.
  • 8-10 days after death — the body turns from green to red as the blood decomposes and the organs in the abdomen accumulate gas.
  • Several weeks after death — nails and teeth fall out.
  • 1 month after death — the body starts to liquify.

[/URL]

Other end of that spectrum - preserved wooly mammoth with blood samples available. Woolly mammoth found frozen in Siberia after 39,000 YEARS goes on display in Tokyo (and it's still woolly!) | Daily Mail Online

Started getting above refrigerator temp on January 31 (though freezing temps at night)
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/colorado-springs/80903/january-weather/327351

Good post. You see, I find it very difficult to believe, within my extensive reading on this case, in some circles, the blatant, aggressive, and at times threatening emergence of support and defense of LS, along with some of your postulations herein, coupled with some common sense, there just HAS to be more charges coming in this case.

I have big shoulders. I'll surely admit that I was absolutely wrong should it NOT play out in that manner, but to be settled in the belief that she did ALL of this alone, without ANYONE having knowledge of her actions, is difficult for this ole boy.

To clarify: my belief that T had help with her written statement to the world was not to imply that said assistant did so with any knowledge of crime(s).

Having said that, those of us who witnessed (EARLY!!!) SM posts which we cannot link would be hard-pressed not to conclude that at least ONE of those whose character was so obviously T-like were not in some way complicit (if only after the fact). I'll say no more on the subject--supremely confident in LE. Let the chips fall... JUSTICE for sweet Gannon!

I've considered this exact thing. The 'official' story being his remains were found just by a stroke of luck....which, is DEFINITELY possible.

However, there's a little voice inside telling me there may be more to his discovery than happenstance.

The fact there were able to sit on it for a couple of days while they waited on a confirmation tells me the same. The plus the pictures with all the agencies that showed up to the scene.

They knew.

In this link there’s an embedded Nancy Grace interview with audio of RD:
‘He could barely walk’: Gannon Stauch neighbor confirms security footage dates after stepmother’s murder arrest [EXCLUSIVE UPDATE]
RD’s exact words to the media were: “I went over to his house and I was like, ‘hey I have a camera that I can see if anyone came by and picked him up’ and first thing SHE said was ‘no, he went the other way, he didn’t come toward the house’ so I didn’t think anything of it.”
Since he knew his video camera showed the front of their house, including driveway, where someone would come and pick up Gannon, she had to understand what he meant as well for her to say “no, he went the other way.” (Thru gate in back?) She was trying to make it seem futile to search the video because she knew what it would show — and she’d be screwed if they saw her come home alone.

ETA: No wonder AS cried and said “she lied” when the video showed her leave with Gannon and come back alone. I bet AS was standing right next to her (since RD says “I went to HIS house”...) when RD made the offer and she pooh-poohed it, saying he left the other way. Suddenly realizing his boy wasn’t coming back, and she not only did it but brazenly lies to keep him from finding out. The betrayal must have hit him hard.
What exactly was that supposed to mean, he didnt come towards the house? Who's he?

As to if she had help or not. For most of this, she needed absolutely no help at all.

What I think she did have help with, is crafting her alibi. I think we will learn that she encouraged her older daughter to lie for her, and this may have included initial law enforcement interviews and the coaching we saw during that infamous tv interview.

She abused Gannon herself, traveled to the murder scene herself, committed the murder herself, and moved/dumped the body herself. She needed no help with any of these things.

In order for my opinion to change, I need to know the logistics here (where Gannon’s body was during transport, and who if anyone had a reasonable expectation of knowing what was going on).

But on the face of it, I don’t think anyone else committed major crimes (knowingly aided her in the body tampering).

BBM:

I'm not so sure about that.

I think that someone in TS's circle may in fact have contributed in one or more of the following ways:
  • Making false statements
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Accessory after the fact
If anyone lied to investigators at her behest, that's a serious crime.

I'm sure DDA Allen will make that fact abundantly clear to those close to TS.

"Truth or Consequences."

JMO.

Last edited:
Other end of that spectrum - preserved wooly mammoth with blood samples available. Woolly mammoth found frozen in Siberia after 39,000 YEARS goes on display in Tokyo (and it's still woolly!) | Daily Mail Online

Started getting above refrigerator temp on January 31 (though freezing temps at night)

It is absolutely amazing that an animal can be preserved that long! It is also amazing that scientists are able to know the relative time since the beginning of preservation.

My thoughts on the suitcase is that I’d imagine it would be extremely difficult to place a body in a suitcase after the initial 3-6 hours due to the fact that it would need to be folded:( And then there’s a whole succession of horrible things that ensues. So if I had to take a guess, I’d say this was done almost immediately after that monster took poor Gannon's last breath away from him.

IMOO

COLOR ADDED BY ME
Appreciated this post and Stattlich's response immensely. While I respect those who opine that T was absolutely not the poster, I find stark similarities in the sentence structure you bolded--as compared with the known writing by T: "Saturday Night, G was helping me unload in the garage and cut his foot because there are a lot of tools because Albert does woodworking." I would love to see linguistic analysis of the stilted speech. I DO believe T had assistance to clean up her ramblings; that is apparent after listening to her live interview with Spencer.

Another possibility concerning T's meaning of "main players went outside the bounds of the law despite their, mostly, good intentions"...could well have been T's attempt to reinforce that LH sent someone to get Gannon because she desperately missed him. (T states as much in the DWAP telephone conversation--implicating LH, with the stipulation that although T believed Landen had GS taken from the home, T did NOT THINK LH would EVER harm him.) How utterly diabolical, any way she twists it.

Difficulties with producing organized (normal) speech patterns are hallmark of certain personality disorders and some mental illnesses, as well. As soon as I tried to follow her during some of her recorded "conversations" I was wondering what a psychiatrist would conclude after an LS study. Something is very wrong with how she speaks; considering she is supposed to an educated person.

The fact there were able to sit on it for a couple of days while they waited on a confirmation tells me the same. The plus the pictures with all the agencies that showed up to the scene.

They knew.

I think they had her route to SC nailed down and knew she had likely dumped him somewhere along the way. It's relatively easy for LE to figure that out with various surveillance/traffic cameras, financial transactions, etc. They often hardly even need geolocation data from a cell phone or car GPS to follow someone's tracks, but I'd bet they also have that in this case. I'm willing to bet that they alerted LE agencies along the route, and requested searches of any particular points of interest.

In a suitcase in the trunk or back of moving van.

https://www.hunker.com/12233266/what-are-normal-refrigerator-and-freezer-temps

GS family and LE may not be the only thing getting warm when TS decided it was time to leave Colorado

Didn’t LE look inside of this moving van she was blatantly driving around town!? I saw about 10 officers searching garage. Why not search any rentals or moving van? Could they not get the search warrants until after she fled/left town? She may have driven the body 450 miles away on the 28th with that rental and stashed it in another state. But you’d think someone there would have noticed the smell.

What exactly was that supposed to mean, he didnt come towards the house? Who's he?

I believe she was implying that next-door neighbor RD’s camera couldn’t have possibly caught Gannon walking to his friends house, because he walked in the other direction down the street: i.e, towards the left of Gannon’s home if you were facing it head-on. RD lives on the right side.

Nothing in my post assigned HH as a perpetrator. After listening to Trish's 2 hour podcast, I became cautious. I am glad to answer for or explain my statements that actually appear in my posts, but I am unwilling to answer a call for adversary that is based on perceptions.

And I state that with all due respect.
I responded to the statement that she’s “accountable”. I cannot go there. I’m sorry if this poses a problem.

I think they had her route to SC nailed down and knew she had likely dumped him somewhere along the way. It's relatively easy for LE to figure that out with various surveillance/traffic cameras, financial transactions, etc. They often hardly even need geolocation data from a cell phone or car GPS to follow someone's tracks, but I'd bet they also have that in this case. I'm willing to bet that they alerted LE agencies along the route, and requested searches of any particular points of interest.
There were four other peeps with her when she left CO with moving van. LE has likely asked for and received their cell records right? If any of them joined her on the Florida trip LE could see that. But what if she was smart enough to send phones on to SC so it would not appear she was in Florida?

Sure hope she wore her Apple watch though. I'm giggling at the thought!!

They knew.
I take the circumstances of Gannon’s body being found at face value. For anything else to have happened, would mean that law enforcement is lying to the public. This would obviously come out, and damage their credibility. They don’t do that.

This past Tuesday, a work crew from the Florida Department of Transportation was working Highway 90, near the Escambia River Bridge. They found a body and contacted us,” Sgt. Rich Aloy of the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office, in Florida, tells PEOPLE.

“It is a long bridge — [the body] was along the side of the bridge, but not in the water. We don’t know when the body was placed there,” Aloy says.

The remains were found approximately between 9 and 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Aloy says, and the cause of death is still undetermined.

Remains Tentatively Identified as Missing Colorado Boy Gannon Stauch's Are Found in Florida

Good post. You see, I find it very difficult to believe, within my extensive reading on this case, in some circles, the blatant, aggressive, and at times threatening emergence of support and defense of LS, along with some of your postulations herein, coupled with some common sense, there just HAS to be more charges coming in this case.

I have big shoulders. I'll surely admit that I was absolutely wrong should it NOT play out in that manner, but to be settled in the belief that she did ALL of this alone, without ANYONE having knowledge of her actions, is difficult for this ole boy.
bbm
Strong words.
I agree.
I shudder to think if the family of TS have ever threatened family or friends of Gannon.
Hopefully not.
But if anyone involved in the prosecution or even Gannon's own family receive any threatening texts/calls-- they need to save them so they know the source.

They knew.
I think you mean a tip from someone ?
If so-- maybe someone was granted immunity for testifying ?

Eta. Never mind.
Hadn't read MassGuy's post yet.
So just lucky ?
I'm willing to admit LE knew she may have been in FL but not sure which highway/interstate.

I don't care about how he was found as much as the fact he was found.
Hope that makes sense.
This case might have been more difficult without Gannon's remains.

Didn’t LE look inside of this moving van she was blatantly driving around town!? I saw about 10 officers searching garage. Why not search any rentals or moving van? Could they not get the search warrants until after she fled/left town? She may have driven the body 450 miles away on the 28th with that rental and stashed it in another state. But you’d think someone there would have noticed the smell.

They didn't need her permission to search the house but they would've needed her permission or a search warrant to search anything else. If the moving van was pulled over in a traffic stop and the officer found probable cause, like blood on it or something like that, they could search it, but with an investigation like this they would be VERY careful about that and unlikely to search without a warrant, her permission, or glaringly obvious PC with the vehicle.

If they did try a PC search like that on the moving van or any other vehicle, they'd be risking the search being determined improper at trial and having everything they found thrown out, which would jeopardize the whole case.

The podcast is over two hours, but its worth the listen. Leigh is interviewed and offers the details about the suicidal ideation, pregnancy and hospitalization of TS. This deception caused her worry enough to seek a wellness check on TS. Trish's points caused me to reserve my position on HH.
SleuthBee,
While we don’t know if HH is a victim and we have to assume she was,
there are a couple of things Leigh said in this video that could change my mind.

First, HH told Leigh that LE harassed her in the store. I doubt that. I understood LE asked for her car keys and that LS had the keys and maybe LS talked her into “feeling” it was harassment.

Second, Leigh stated that HH told her that her mom, LS, was pregnant and in the hospital.

It is only my opinion, but I think LS taught her daughter to lie and manipulate at a young age. So although she may be a victim of her mother, I hope she is now willing to cooperate with LE on Gannon’s behalf. If not, she may be a warped individual her entire life.

And while 17 is a minor in most States, in my State 17 is of legal age. In any case, I believe a person knows between right and wrong at a fairly early age.

She can certainly be forgiven for being manipulated into assisting her mom, and she may be a victim if her mother threatened her in any way. But making those statements to the reporter tells me she was at least compliant in her moms schemes. So sad.

It’s best for me to wait until we hear evidence in the case to make a judgment either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member