Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why the Kennedy center for the arts should be on the list. Or the post office should have their loans to the US Treasury forgiven.

One of my fears is that the US mail will stop if we don't do something. It's a real possibility. It would not be good in this crisis. Loan forgiveness is easier and quicker than other methods of supporting them.

If people need ventilators but don't get them, their death is virtually guaranteed.

So do we know what percentage of those hospitalized are needing respirators to survive? Because of the ventilators are having that large of an impact on the recovered stats, then that’s the actual mortality percentage once we run out of respirators. And that would bring the scales closer to balance.

Virtual Town Hall with WH Pandemic Task Force on now from 12 noon to 2 pm ET. VP Pence, task force chair, speaking now and taking virtual questions, President will be on also, and some other members of the Task Force also, one at a time as it is virtual. I think I heard them say that Fauci will also participate, not sure, I am in another room working remotely and the television is on in the next room and I can hear but not perfect.

just to show that NY is the same as everywhere else regarding tests (not having enough tests just like everyone else) , this is a text I received from our Notify NY Covid response system...
1pATToT.jpg

Last edited:
So do we know what percentage of those hospitalized are needing respirators to survive? Because of the ventilators are having that large of an impact on the recovered stats, then that’s the actual mortality percentage once we run out of respirators. And that would bring the scales closer to balance.

Cuomo said 20% in New York of hospitalized patients need ventilators.

Just my opinion here, but the more I look at the data, I really do believe we’re dealing with at least two different strains - which is leading to a lot of uncertainty about what to expect. Italy is currently running at over 8% mortality rate. If true and accurate, it would be several million deaths in US if that’s the strain we’re dealing with.

Two strains would confuse all the data - they may have separate R0’s, different ways of transmission, present differently, different incubation periods, etc....

It would be an absolute nightmare for tracking and projection models.

I think they’re trying to untangle a big mess to see just where we do stand.

I’d also love to see any information that specifically states they have identified antibodies. If no antibodies present, then all recovered may still have the virus, but virus goes into remission.
Too many unknowns, and being fought based on too many ASSUMPTIONS!!

I also have to wonder what threshold is being used to determine acceptable collateral damage. Unfortunately, I believe the reality is that a fairly high percentage of deaths would have to be imminent in order for World Governments to willingly tank the world economy.

I truly believe the US would willingly absorb a certain percentage deaths in order to keep our economy going. I have no idea what that percentage would be, but I would think it would have to be pretty high. China would be even more willing to sacrifice human life for the economy.

With these considerations in mind, it’s still my opinion that there’s more to the story than meets the eye.

Thoughts???

BBM

This article I posted about an antibodies study states that they did find antibodies and even checked against other viruses where the antibodies could be similar.

Why a Tiny Colorado County Can Offer COVID-19 Tests to Every Resident

According to data that Hu said the company has filed with the FDA, its serological test was validated using 47 samples from coronavirus patients and began to detect antibodies 10 days after infection. The company also ran the test against hundreds of COVID-19–free samples from blood banks to confirm that it does not mistakenly pick up antibodies for related viruses that cause the common cold.

Californians using T-shirts in place of toilet paper, leading to sewer blockages
''Northern Californians are going to extreme measures amidst a growing shortage of toilet paper.

Some residents are cutting up T-shirts to use as toilet paper and then flushing the scraps down into the sewer system causing mass blockages, the Daily Mail reported.

A public warning was issued to the residents of Redding, Calif., not to flush anything down the toilet other than toilet paper because doing so can lead to problematic blockages that result in fecal matter backing up into people’s showers, toilets, and sinks.

A crew was dispatched to deal with a sewer blockage that resulted from a cut-up T-shirt that had been flushed down the toilet Wednesday, Redding Searchlight reported.''

Redding, oh Redding. SMH. Again in the news for the wrong reasons.

Where's the vent thread? Omg. So many are just sooooo extra! Everyone stay home. Great. Call the retailers of non-essential items and expect them to lose money because you're entitled. Forget about the people who have to come to work to deal with y'all, etc. Forget your manners, expect businesses to ki$$ your tail, stomp your feet and act a fool. We can hear your kids in the background: we hear your priorities. I bailed for the rest of the day. I simply cannot empathize with 1st world entitlement today

Perhaps the research just isn't there yet?

Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) | Johns Hopkins ABX Guide

"Preliminary evidence suggests two strains of SARS-2-CoV circulating: one associated with milder illness (~30%), the other with severe illness (70%)."

UpToDate

"In a phylogenetic analysis of 103 strains of SARS-CoV-2 from China, two different types of SARS-CoV-2 were identified, designated type L (accounting for 70 percent of the strains) and type S (accounting for 30 percent) [25]. The L type predominated during the early days of the epidemic in China, but accounted for a lower proportion of strains outside of Wuhan than in Wuhan. The clinical implications of these findings are uncertain."

Thank you for finding this!

Where's the vent thread? Omg. So many are just sooooo extra! Everyone stay home. Great. Call the retailers of non-essential items and expect them to lose money because you're entitled. Forget about the people who have to come to work to deal with y'all, etc. Forget your manners, expect businesses to ki$$ your tail, stomp your feet and act a fool. We can hear your kids in the background: we hear your priorities. I bailed for the rest of the day. I simply cannot empathize with 1st world entitlement today

i am not sure what you are saying- please clarify--- are you saying people who are socially isolating ( staying home) or distancing feel entitled? i don't get your message.

I do agree with this, but with no cure or treatment, I wonder how much difference the medical care actually makes. I assume a lot, but I really don’t know.

Not sure what the right answer is....

I do know that it has to be a balancing act, and to me, the reaction is greater than the perceived threat if the mortality rate is truly around 1%

In 1918 the world population was pegged at around 1.8 billion. The lower estimate of 17.4 million deaths for the Spanish Flu was around 1%; higher estimations of deaths (which have been considered more accurate by some experts) put the death rate well over 1% closer to 4%.

Currently, there are 7.5 billion people world wide. One percent of that is 75 million deaths. One thing we must remember is that the world is a lot more connected than it was 100 years ago. Someone can be in Miami in the morning and be in Australia in 24 hours. Whole planeloads of them.

Last edited:
Well, that and the fact that they already have it in nearly every big city in China (and in nearly every province).

Even if they could truly lock their borders, they would still have the potential for large clusters of the virus.

FYI the Chi Com's are NEVER honest, EVER. They would be elated to tell the world they have everything under control whilst the western nations seem to be on fire.

That being said,

Why, in the epicenter, right in the heart of the fire, is China only showing 3,200+ deaths?

And if the answer is they are lying, or deceiving, or otherwise engaged in coverup, then why is the WHO, or CDC, or noone else calling them out?

By what I've read here, on this website, just this morning, the death toll in China should be a million or more? Or at least in the 10's of thousands?

What gives?

just to show that NY is the same as everywhere else regarding tests, this is a text I received from our Notify NY Covid response system...
1pATToT.jpg

IMO, not true. NY was declared a federal emergency and thereby got way more tests (which they need). AFAIK, CA has only received 20,000 kits but given that our curve is way flatter than NY's, we're not complaining - we're rooting for NY.

NO state has enough kits to test randos who simply want to know if they have the virus (even drive through testing is using rules most places).

Going to the hospital is a bad idea, unless a person needs to be hospitalized - and that is true regardless of number of test kits. If we gave as many test kits to Georgia or Louisiana, per capita, we'd see a big jump in cases.

I haven't check CA test kit numbers in 24 hours or so, but no state has received the number of kits that NY has (and CA has more people than NY state). About twice as many.

Are you in retail? Whatever you do, thank you for putting up with it for as long as you can. Anyone working a job providing a service to the general public - thank you. I know you are getting slammed both physically and mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member