Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Henry2326 , do you remember the very early report from China? I haven’t seen any confirmation since then, but I haven’t seen anything to the contrary.

Even if that isn’t the case, I just can’t see the whole world shutting down for a mortality rate of 1%.

I may totally be missing a perspective I haven’t thought of, which is why I’m throwing it out there for discussion. Would love to have my mind changed, and I’m very open to other theories based on observation and facts.
Yes....that was an L and S strain that was later found to not be different.

Where's the vent thread? Omg. So many are just sooooo extra! Everyone stay home. Great. Call the retailers of non-essential items and expect them to lose money because you're entitled. Forget about the people who have to come to work to deal with y'all, etc. Forget your manners, expect businesses to ki$$ your tail, stomp your feet and act a fool. We can hear your kids in the background: we hear your priorities. I bailed for the rest of the day. I simply cannot empathize with 1st world entitlement today

I hate to say I 'like' your thread. I understand what you are venting about.

A little patience and kindness during this very uncertain time can go a long way.

This AM was our trash collection day ~ got me to think about the workers. They have no idea what they are touching. Could be any kind of nasty stuff in those bags. I sure as heck appreciate those guy taking my trash away. I once put out five bottles of beer next to the bags ~ DH didn't like the one he drank. Maybe I'll do something like that. Random appreciation.

IMO, not true. NY was declared a federal emergency and thereby got way more tests (which they need). AFAIK, CA has only received 20,000 kits but given that our curve is way flatter than NY's, we're not complaining - we're rooting for NY.

NO state has enough kits to test randos who simply want to know if they have the virus (even drive through testing is using rules most places).

Going to the hospital is a bad idea, unless a person needs to be hospitalized - and that is true regardless of number of test kits. If we gave as many test kits to Georgia or Louisiana, per capita, we'd see a big jump in cases.

I haven't check CA test kit numbers in 24 hours or so, but no state has received the number of kits that NY has (and CA has more people than NY state). About twice as many.

I agree with you. There was a person earlier who said it's not fair that NY is requesting more tests when other places need them just as much. They said NYers can already get tests if they want. Thats just not true.

Edited to add: I live in NYC. Also adding: California population isn't as condensed and the rate of infection is lower.

Last edited:
Or one of my friends, who was told to drive 2.5 hours away to nearest testing site. This is with flu. She decided to just roll over in bed.

What happened to Trump’s idea to have testing in Walmart parking lots?

Thankfully testing is popping up all over here in venue and community college parking lots.

Why aren’t other governors being pro-active?

"We are not willing to sacrifice 1-2% of New Yorkers.
That’s not who we are.

We will fight to save every life we can.
I am not giving up."

"My mother is not expendable. Your mother is not expendable.
We will not put a dollar figure on human life.
We can have a public health strategy that is consistent with an economic one.
No one should be talking about social darwinism for the sake of the stock market."

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter

I totally agree with you. There was a person earlier who said it's not fair that NY is requesting more tests when other places need them just as much. They said NYers can already get tests if they want. Thats just not true.

Edited to add: I live in NYC.

Yes. Same for New Jersey. The people taking tests in NY and NJ are those that have seen a doctor who noted that the next step is testing. You cannot get tested in NY or NJ unless you are showing symptoms. The large testing location in Central New Jersey closed 15-30 minutes after it opened 2 days in a row because of the amount of people who require testing. And that is not the only site offering testing in NJ.

Last edited:
BBM

This article I posted about an antibodies study states that they did find antibodies and even checked against other viruses where the antibodies could be similar.

Why a Tiny Colorado County Can Offer COVID-19 Tests to Every Resident

According to data that Hu said the company has filed with the FDA, its serological test was validated using 47 samples from coronavirus patients and began to detect antibodies 10 days after infection. The company also ran the test against hundreds of COVID-19–free samples from blood banks to confirm that it does not mistakenly pick up antibodies for related viruses that cause the common cold.

Awesome! Thank you!

Thankfully testing is popping up all over here in venue and community college parking lots.

Some of them are but are being out bid. Actually many of the governors have been pro-active.

Only 38 years old and no underlying health conditions.

This is JMO and I could be way off base.

For some of the deaths for the relatively young people like this 38 year old, I have to wonder if some people's system cannot handle the overload of whatever medicines are being used to treat the symptoms of the virus.

I know hospitals are doing what they think is best but I have to wonder sometimes if they are overloading a sick person's ability to handle all the medicines on top of being sick. Things like kidney function may be overloaded with large doses of a variety of medicines. Which could be contributing to some of the deaths. Not all of course because the Virus itself is the main cause of being in the hospital to begin with.

The reason I am wondering this is from a long time ago where a relative was sick and I remember how we joked at the time that if the sickness didnt kill my relative, then the huge amounts of medcine they were shooting through IVs and needles would.

It was incredible to us how about every 1/2 hour or so, a doctor or nurse would come in to give medicine or treatments. And a lot of the times, they were different people and different medicines coming in all the time. My relative ended up having a separate complication from a bad reaction to one of the medicines. A severe skin rash breakout occurred for one of the medicines.

We could not believe how many different medicines and the volume of the medicines that were being adminstered. We thought to ourselves how even for a healthy person it would be tough for our bodies to handle the amount of different medicines we saw get administered.

It got so bad we really wanted to check out ourselves and just walk out because we felt they were going to kill my relative. And we finally did leave for them to recover at home after we convinced the Doctor that the patient is ready to go home and continue oral medicines at home.

Anyway with this virus being so new, I have to wonder if some of the places are going a little overboard with volumes of treatments and maybe because the patient is in a weakened sick state to begin with, some of the volume of medicines may be too much for the patient to survive.

I may be way off base but my thoughts are going here because of our last hospital experience.

I just had a thought...are any of you sanitizing you hair brush, come, hair ties etc?

We are doing our best to stay home, but have been going out for me necessities because we can't afford to buy a few weeks of food for 5 people and 11 animals.

Yes, maybe that works great when you live by a Walmart. The closest Walmart is 2.5 hours away.

Which is the difference between living in a large rural area, and DC.

We once had a guy come from DC here, he had scheduled to see 6 VA clinics in 3 days. He managed to see three. People from back East, just don't understand the concept of distance in Montana.

Coronavirus: Biggest daily rise in UK deaths - including 21 at one hospital trust
Coronavirus: Biggest daily rise in UK deaths - including 21 in one hospital trust
The UK has begun a three-week lockdown in a bid to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Twenty-one coronavirus patients have died at a single London NHS Trust as the UK recorded its highest daily number of deaths from the disease.

The Department for Health and Social Care announced another 87 deaths across the country on the first day of a nationwide lockdown to counter COVID-19, taking the total to 422.

London North University Healthcare NHS Trust recorded 21 deaths across its four hospitals, which includes one - Northwick Park hospital in Harrow - that declared a critical incident last week after a surge in coronavirus patients saw it run out of intensive care beds.

Eighty-three of the 87 total deaths came in England, with two in Scotland, one in Wales, and one in Northern Ireland, which is up from 55 deaths across the whole of the UK on Monday.

The number of confirmed cases in the UK now stands at 8,077, which is up 1,427 from 6,650 on Monday, and 90,436 people have now been tested for the disease.

Iowa mayors urge Reynolds to issue a coronavirus stay-at-home order Mayors in Iowa are concerned that the governor won't order stay at home.
March 24: 19 more positive COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 124 total 19 new postive results over night

That’s sad for Iowa. New Jersey later coordinated with New York for a complete shut down after people from NY were coming to NJ to eat and drink in restaurants.

The mayors in towns like Iowa will just see the same thing and the virus will spread.

If it is not a national shut down then it needs to be a state shut down. Town-wide shut downs will not work and will only continue the spread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member