Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who posted on FB a couple days ago that she "got her eyebrows done, mani/pedi, and got her hair done" and she was helping support small businesses. I was floored. I went back later to reply (I needed to calm down first) and people must have gone BANANAS on her because she had deleted the post.
My Stylist is shut down. I had an appt. today but did not intend to go if they were still open. He contacted all clientele by email. They are working on a plan to mix your glaze and have you pick it up at the door and apply yourself if you choose. I'll decide when the time comes and see what their plan is. One can buy gift cards online from their establishment. If you purchase a 100.00 card they will add 15.00 to it. I have done so to support their business as it is also full service spa, clothing, home goods as well. So if your able to support your community thru online gift cards do so.

RESPONSE FROM FRANCOIS BALLOUX, computational biologist

What do you make of the claim that the virus has likely been in circulation months longer than is commonly assumed?

John Overstreet on Twitter

Not much ... The estimate of the age of the ancestor based on the ~900 #SARSCoV2 genomes available to date - which is by far the reliable approach - points to a 'host jump' into humans of #COVID19 around mid-December.
Francois Balloux on Twitter

I have a friend who posted on FB a couple days ago that she "got her eyebrows done, mani/pedi, and got her hair done" and she was helping support small businesses. I was floored. I went back later to reply (I needed to calm down first) and people must have gone BANANAS on her because she had deleted the post.

A lot of people I know have been doing things like sending someone they know that works in a restaurant/bar some money that they would have spent going out that night. A lot of people on instagram and reddit stating what job they do and have set up donation pages where someone will reply "got you" and send over $5 or $10. When you reply "got you" then others know to look for another person in the thread in need. Things like that. Very cool.

LA COUNTY, CA

In L.A. County, 119 people have been hospitalized to date with COVID-19. That number has gone up A LOT since just Friday, when officials reported that 48 people had been hospitalized. I wrote about this steep climb in today's paper: Coronavirus hospitalizations climbing sharply in L.A., likely the approaching wave
Soumya on Twitter

L.A. County officials announced four additional deaths, bringing the total to 11 so far. One of the people who died was a person under the age of 18, "a devastating reminder that COVID-19 infects people of all ages."
Soumya on Twitter

Dr. Fauci is NOT at the town hall meeting. Per President, "he's in a meeting". Hum..... It's like the pressers. They all in the Rose garden, sitting on tall chairs.

Has Dr. Fauci spoken to the media in the last few days? I keep thinking about the doctors in China who were silenced.

Moo....
Here is an interview of Dr Fauci, published today, where he describes his relationship with the President.

Dr. Fauci explains why he doesn’t correct Trump during press conferences

In an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, Fauci said he doesn't want to embarrass Trump but that he must get accurate information to the public.

"I've been telling the president things he doesn't want to hear," Fauci said. "I have publicly had to say something different with what he states... I say it the way it is, and if he's gonna get pissed off, he's gonna get pissed off. Thankfully, he is not. Interestingly."

Instead of telling Trump directly that "you're wrong," Fauci said his approach is to "continually talk about what the data are and what the evidence is." Trump, Fauci continued, "doesn't take it in a way that I'm confronting him in any way. He takes it in a good way."

Omg! Don't get me started on Social media. I didn't know I had so many reckless friends and family.

I wonder what the percentage of Websleuthers fall within the category of expendable when it comes to triage. With the exception of an underactive thyroid, I'm pretty healthy but I'm over 65.

A lot of us. They're counting childhood asthma as a pre-existing condition.

The more important risk factors are high blood pressure and diabetes, both of which correlate with the third (obesity).

Merely using age is not great medicine, but they don't have time to figure out anything else. If your area still has low rates of CV19, I'm sure you'd get treatment. Many of us live in such places and if we can all discipline ourselves and stay home, that will help. I'm waiting for all the Spring Break Kids to hit those hospital beds next week and mess up all the algorithms for everyone else.

Here is an interview of Dr Fauci, published today, where he describes his relationship with the President.

In an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, Fauci said he doesn't want to embarrass Trump but that he must get accurate information to the public.

"I've been telling the president things he doesn't want to hear," Fauci said. "I have publicly had to say something different with what he states... I say it the way it is, and if he's gonna get pissed off, he's gonna get pissed off. Thankfully, he is not. Interestingly."

Instead of telling Trump directly that "you're wrong," Fauci said his approach is to "continually talk about what the data are and what the evidence is." Trump, Fauci continued, "doesn't take it in a way that I'm confronting him in any way. He takes it in a good way."
BBM

The interview with Dr Fauci that is quoted in this article published today in your link was published yesterday in a “Science Magazine” interview FWIW.

‘I’m going to keep pushing.’ Anthony Fauci tries to make the White House listen to facts of the pandemic | Science | AAAS

Fauci has cajones (can I say that?). I like it. Hopefully he is allowed to continually display them.

That interview was a couple of days ago at the same time as the science interview. We haven't seen him since....he's always "busy"....

I thought the same thing. Tom Hanks isn’t actually a good example of being treated equally. JMO
I believe he was referring to the "Coronavirus" treats us all equally --meaning it doesn't matter what walk of life you are from or how famous you are.
We are all equally open to getting this virus.

quote --
"1. It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should to. "

I don’t believe for one moment he wrote this himself. In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, ‘what a marroon’

The ACME market in Brigantine has a new addition to the checkout stand: a Plexiglas divider between the cashier and customer at the checkout, as well as at the pharmacy and customer service desks. Acme said it plans to install the glass in all of its 164 stores.

This supermarket chain is installing Plexiglas barriers, social distancing floor markings to combat coronavirus

Two of our supermarket chains here in the UK are doing this. Such a good idea. I have nothing but respect for retail staff, particularly at times like this.

I believe he was referring to the "Coronavirus" treats us all equally --meaning it doesn't matter what walk of life you are from or how famous you are.
We are all equally open to getting this virus.

quote --
"1. It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should to. "

Health officials confirm 4 new deaths, 128 new cases in LA County

Well, except that people like Hanks can have medical equipment moved into their home, hire round-the-clock care and their personal doctors are very likely to make extensive house calls. No way do Tom and Rita have to sit in a hospital waiting room, hoping to be triaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member