Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITALY

"Estimated mean R0 was 2.3-3.1 during the exponential phase of the epidemic.
A slightly decreasing trend since February 20! The authors suggest that quarantine around the epicentre of the outbreak in Codogno appears to have played a critical role in controlling the infection."
dr muge cevik on Twitter

My interpretation......with an R0 of 2 to 3, (one person transmits to 2 or 3 other people), the US has not even begun to see the results of this kind of transmission...and when we do, quarantine is our only solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_162902.png
    IMG_20200324_162902.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 0
My DD is in banking. Most branches can't legally close during this. The past couple of days the traffic has slowed down. She was really getting fed up with people coming in to do things they can do online. Like open up a savings account for Christmas. Not exactly essential.
That's awful if they can't protect their workers. Omaha has a social distancing order in place. Our credit union closed the lobbies of all their branches and only the drive up window or ATM is open.

Some Los Angeles, CA updates:

42% of L.A. County’s coronavirus cases are people between the ages of 18 and 40

"... As of Monday, 415 of the 516 cases confirmed by the agency — about 80% — were between the ages of 18 and 65.

And 217 of the total cases — approximately 42% — are people between the ages of 18 and 40. ..."

In other articles at that source

- LA County total cases are 536
- LA County deaths are 11 including a child under age 18 in Lancaster
- up north in Santa Clara County, heart of Silicon Valley, leads the state with 13 deaths

New study suggests how long coronavirus can stay on surfaces
UYX2CIWESRCLVNKHMH66FWQAXI.png

A new study suggests how long the new coronavirus can stay on surfaces. (Source: Gray News)

New study suggests how long coronavirus can stay on surfaces

Dr. Fauci was interviewed yesterday afternoon. Nobody has "silenced" him.

Dr. Fauci gives behind-the-scenes look at coronavirus press briefings

The original interview was posted Sunday in “Science Magazine.” That doesn’t mean he’s been silenced, but the interview was not yesterday. So two days without Dr Fauci is a long time. But I expect he’s getting some rest.

‘I’m going to keep pushing.’ Anthony Fauci tries to make the White House listen to facts of the pandemic | Science | AAAS

Respectfully, he just said that there are 25,000 Cases here versus much lower numbers elsewhere
Perhaps if he had shut down some business' and entered a "work from home " order earlier than when he did, they wouldn't have more cases.
But then again, there are a lot more people living and working there so the number would be up anyway just due to more population.
IDK-- hard to determine yet if the timing of certain govt orders did or did not make a difference.
I would like to think it will show that it did make a difference but with so much outbreak of the virus, I don't think it will.
Carry on--I am just thinking out loud here and my mind is spinning with trying to keep up with all the updates.

Me and my husband will continue to isolate.

I am seriously not seeing enough self isolation or social distancing to affect the curve. People around here are pretty much flaunting the rules whenever possible. I see a ton of large groups of parents and kids hitting up the parks and skate parks. I see no social distancing going on.

Imo, they all might as well be at work and school.
Well then they could infect other people at work and at school. People not privileged to be able to isolate.

Trump claimed they were approved by FDA to treat covid. They weren't. He made the sound like a real cure while the evidence is still not clear on that at all.
There has been some evidence recently that he was on the right track, by telling the country we have some viable options of effective treatment.

There has been some evidence recently that he was on the right track, by telling the country we have some viable options of effective treatment.
A lot of drugs that go into clinical trials don't pan out. It's far from clear if this drug is going to be an effective treatment. It also has side effects, including cardiovascular. Which is presumably the last thing you want if you are on a ventilator.

You’ve Got Mail. Will You Get the Coronavirus?

Quotes from article:

Some government agencies seem concerned that all of that circulating paper might be a potential vector. In early February, when COVID-19 was still just “the coronavirus” — and, for most Americans, still someone else’s problem — China’s central bank announced that it would quarantine the country’s cash, to prevent the disease from spreading from one person to another on money. The government collected bank notes from Hubei, the worst-hit province, and then sanitized the stacks of bills, either by baking them at a high temperature or bathing them in ultraviolet rays. The newly laundered cash was then kept in isolation for seven to 14 days before being rereleased into the banking system.

A few weeks later, the U.S. Federal Reserve began quarantining dollar bills repatriated from Asia, holding them for seven to 10 days before allowing them to re-enter the domestic financial system. Bank notes are made of cotton pulp, not wood fiber, but still: Why sanitize money and not mail?

Representatives of the big three package deliverers in the United States — U.P.S., FedEx and the Postal Service — insisted there is no need. “The C.D.C. has advised that there is a low risk of transmission on packages,” said Matthew O’Conner, a spokesman for U.P.S. FedEx, in a statement, said. “The guidance from the W.H.O. is that the likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low, and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, traveled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.”

David Partenheimer, a spokesman for the Postal Service, noted that the surgeon general, Dr. Jerome M. Adams, along with the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization, has “indicated that there is currently no evidence that COVID-19 is being spread through the mail.”

This is because many scientists think it is quite unlikely that you can catch the coronavirus by touching a surface that has the virus on it and subsequently touching your own mouth or nose. (One review of scientific publications on the subject concluded that hand washing seems to cut the risk of respiratory infection by a mere 16 percent — but added that the studies examined were of poor quality and more research was urgently needed.)

The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment — Germany’s equivalent of the F.D.A. — advises that while the virus could, theoretically, be transmitted through this kind of “smear” infection, as opposed to the standard “droplet” infection, there have been no known cases in which individuals have caught the coronavirus by touching a contaminated surface and then transferring the virus to their mouth or nose. Then again, contact transmission is notoriously difficult to study and document.

A paper published in the New England Journal of Medicine last week shed more light on the subject. A group of researchers from the National Institutes of Health, the C.D.C., Princeton University and the University of California, Los Angeles, misted virus particles into a rotating drum and studied how long the floating particles survived on various surfaces. They found that the SARS-CoV-2 virus survived for up to 24 hours on cardboard — three times longer than its cousin, the original SARS.

“In that light, you might expect the virus to remain viable for hours but probably not days on mail,” said James Lloyd-Smith, one of the study’s authors. “But there are important caveats.”

Among these: The study specifically looked at aerosolized virus particles, rather than the fine droplets that infected people emit with each cough or sneeze. The line between aerosols and droplets is fuzzy, but, broadly, droplets are bigger and settle more quickly, while aerosols are smaller and float for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen