Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing for the virus particles by Molecular Testing is ramping up quickly thanks to the FDA clearing several testing systems that can be performed by hospitals, rather than requiring transport to large private clinical laboratories.

I'm thinking two weeks will show a huge difference in testing volumes.

Yeah that

Sudden Cardiac Death

side effect kinda gets your attention
Sure does. That's what probably that guy who overdosed died from (at least that would be my guess). It can cause cardiovascular problems. Which is presumably the last thing you want in someone who already can't breathe and is on ventilator.

20 days from now, hopefully, we will have done a lot more testing.

Hopefully after 20 more days of testing and treatment and quarantine, there will be people that are disease free, that can go back to work and school.

Maybe not by 2o days, but maybe 30 or 45 days?
I think we will be seeing a lot more testing in 14 days or so

I called around to a bunch of pharmacies and found some hydroxychloroquine at a little hole in the wall pharmacy I forgot existed. All the big pharmacies are out with no idea when they'll be getting more. I got 20 tablets, which is enough for 10 days so now I'm good for a little more than three weeks. I'm conflicted because without it I'll be in a lot of pain and not knowing if I'll get my next refill has me stressed, but if it's working on COVID 19I want others to have access to it too.
My bet most people who are taking it right now don't even have covid, they are thinking it's going to protect them.

I think molecular virologists can determine the number of mitoses the virus goes through
My understanding is that it's certainly possible, but difficult to determine mutation rate, since thousands of viruses can be produced within an infected cell.
That's right the Salk polio vaccine was just a single needle. The big circle in the left shoulder (for right-handers) was for smallpox.

Smallpox Vaccine Scar: Why It Happens

smallpox vaccination scar - بحث Google

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I always wondered, but never thought to look it up :)

Also, at the risk of entering the realm political, it's pretty interesting that the same drugs the President was decried as an idiot for speaking of; are among the drugs the WHO is currently trialing as the cure for COVID-19.

I don't condone people going out and putting their hands on homegrown versions, as that's just stupid; but the drugs themselves aren't stupid, and are currently deemed fit for testing purposes by several medical authorities.

WHO had said weeks ago that these drugs were being looked at as a way to combat COVID but they said "looked at". They weren't telling people to go and take them. Personally, I think it is negligent to put information out about drugs and why or how to take them when you aren't a doctor. People may have complications or interactions with drugs they are already taking. Some people implicitly trust people in power and might harm themselves. It's downright dangerous. Some people may say that you can't hold one person at fault for others actions but to that I say this: If your mother was terrified and I tell her that she'll be ok if she just does X, Y & Z - if she does and she is harmed a lot of people would be mad at me.

Arizona Man Dies After Taking Chemical in Coronavirus Treatment Touted by President Trump

A lot of drugs that go into clinical trials don't pan out. It's far from clear if this drug is going to be an effective treatment. It also has side effects, including cardiovascular. Which is presumably the last thing you want if you are on a ventilator.
My aunt has taken this drug for years for her RA. She has not experienced any bad side effects.

Thousands take it daily, with no bad effects.

Many people used it in China, and reported it helped them recover. The truth of that remains to be seen.

Perhaps if he had shut down some business' and entered a "work from home " order earlier than when he did, they wouldn't have more cases.
But then again, there are a lot more people living and working there so the number would be up anyway just due to more population.
IDK-- hard to determine yet if the timing of certain govt orders did or did not make a difference.
I would like to think it will show that it did make a difference but with so much outbreak of the virus, I don't think it will.
Carry on--I am just thinking out loud here and my mind is spinning with trying to keep up with all the updates.

The NYC subway system was/is a factor in the rapid spreading of COVID in NYC and surrounding areas due to the metal surfaces all over the system, as well as due to the average ridership per week (3rd column) and the system's length in miles (4th column). (2nd column - annual ridership):

Wiki: List of US Rapid Transit System By Ridership (2018 figures)

Compare the ridership in the cities:

1. NYC 2,629,594,200 / 8,764,700 / 245

2. Wash Metro 226,349,600 / 764,300 / 117

3. Chicago L 225,895,100 / 719,700 / 102.8

Last edited:
Coronavirus in Ohio Tuesday update: 564 cases reported, 8 deaths

According to the ODH, as of Tuesday. 564 people have tested positive for the virus. There are eight deaths, 145 are hospitalized.

Dr. Amy Acton says the testing data does not tell the full story, since there is a shortage of tests and those available are being conserved for the most high-risk and hospitalized front-line workers. The actual number of cases in Ohio is believed to be much higher.
I think our governors (NY) should get together to make sure Ohio and CA get what they can. None of this "competing" stuff that was discussed in the beginning.

[URL='https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/arizona-coronavirus-chloroquine-death/index.html' said:
"jje[/URL]nny, post: 15971936, member: 47725"]Sure does. That's what probably that guy who overdosed died from (at least that would be my guess). It can cause cardiovascular problems. Which is presumably the last thing you want in someone who already can't breathe and is on ventilator.

This guy?

A Phoenix-area man is dead and his wife is under critical care after the two took chloroquine phosphate in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for the novel coronavirus, according to hospital system Banner Health.

It does not appear they took the pharmaceutical version of the drug, but rather "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks," Banner Health said in a statement. . . .

Fearing coronavirus, Arizona man dies after taking a form of chloroquine used in aquariums - CNN

Last edited:
WHO had said weeks ago that these drugs were being looked at as a way to combat COVID but they said "looked at". They weren't telling people to go and take them. Personally, I think it is negligent to put information out about drugs and why or how to take them when you aren't a doctor. People may have complications or interactions with drugs they are already taking. Some people implicitly trust people in power and might harm themselves. It's downright dangerous. Some people may say that you can't hold one person at fault for others actions but to that I say this: If your mother was terrified and I tell her that she'll be ok if she just does X, Y & Z - if she does and she is harmed a lot of people would be mad at me.

Arizona Man Dies After Taking Chemical in Coronavirus Treatment Touted by President Trump
The headline in that article is highly misleading. The man took chemicals used for cleaning aquariums, not prescription drugs.

The president never 'touted' the use of chemicals used for cleaning aquariums as medicine.

People need to use some common sense, FGS.

"chloroquine phosphate, an additive used to clean fish tanks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member