Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you on the rabbit holes, if he’s not from Baton Rouge I wasted a good 10 hours look at yearbook photos.

Lol I can relate to this all too well. I spent a lottttt of time down rabbit holes in a couple cases.

I didn’t mean to be negative or discouraging, I apologize if I came off that way. You’re doing a great job. Plus, if there was ever a time to dive into rabbit holes, it’s now while we are stuck at home. I don’t know anything about code otherwise I’d be all up in it.

I hear you on the rabbit holes, if he’s not from Baton Rouge I wasted a good 10 hours look at yearbook photos.

And I spent a good week's work in Baton Rouge and LSU newspaper archives looking for references to missing people, then poking in people-finding apps looking for names...

Yes, here's another example. A lot of the notebook looks like this.

Just throwing some ideas out.
Numbers seem to restart in each new “numbered” row and increase until they restart again. Going across. Money earned or money spent for that chunk of trail and the letters are abbreviations for what or where spent/earned? The WC with in arrow at the top could be a part of the trail?

Just throwing some ideas out.
Numbers seem to restart in each new “numbered” row and increase until they restart again. Going across. Money earned or money spent for that chunk of trail and the letters are abbreviations for what or where spent/earned? The WC with in arrow at the top could be a part of the trail?

Or not. They fluctuate sometimes within a section. I think it’s too organized to not mean anything.

There’s also a dot after the first 4 groups in each section. So every other row. Quite sure this means something. I still don’t recognize it as anything I’m familiar with but I think it is his shorthand for something.

Some of the pages have what could be dates on the upper left. Like 4-1 and 4-4. The last one is 7-7. When I interviewed Obsidian, who spent the most time with him, she couldn’t ever recall seeing him write anything, ever. If the dates are from 2018, they would really fall into those “lost months” where we don’t know where he was.
Could he have possibly had computer access during those months and gotten interested in gaming again? Did he visit the sister? Or, are these dense notebooks just an example of a deteriorating mind?

Some of the pages have what could be dates on the upper left. Like 4-1 and 4-4. The last one is 7-7. When I interviewed Obsidian, who spent the most time with him, she couldn’t ever recall seeing him write anything, ever. If the dates are from 2018, they would really fall into those “lost months” where we don’t know where he was.
Could he have possibly had computer access during those months and gotten interested in gaming again? Did he visit the sister? Or, are these dense notebooks just an example of a deteriorating mind?

It would make sense to me if he wrote it during his lost months.
Because I can't find the original source of this information are you able to confirm that his notes do contain words like "spawn," creep" and "algae pond"?

They're not dates. Looks like someone saw him writing in these notebooks in late 2017.

I think whatever it is he wrote does mean something. Someday maybe someone will figure it out. I believe he was trying to get somewhere using a formula he was very familiar with and probably knew like the back of his hand. However, for some unknown reason, his brain was short circuiting and he likely didn’t generate enough of or the correct code to build anything. In other words, I doubt that even if somewhere were to decipher this it would/could lead to the end product; an actual game or app.

This almost confirms for me that whatever happened to him physically, if anything, his demise was due largely in part to his mental state. I wonder if being out in the elements got to him. His body would have gone into panic mode shortly after he began if he wasn’t used to those conditions, I think his brain would have done the same thing. Combined with whatever reason he was on the trail to begin with. It must have been hell for him if this is the case. Extremely heartbreaking.

JMOO

So, for the heck of it, I asked one of my "adopted" sons about this. I sent him those 2 pages. He's a major tech nerd, literally genius level (mensa member). He works with coding, programming and script. His opinion is that it has something to do with chemistry or biochemistry.
Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as he is, so have no idea how this would help us in getting him identified.

Yes, here's another example. A lot of the notebook looks like this.
Ok finally! Anyone on here ever learned BASIC (there were a few flavors, but I learned on Apples)? This is how you used to code in the 1980s, a simple program would be:
10: GOTO 20
20: PRINT "X"

I don't recall much, i'll have to do some more research after work. Anyhow, those line #s were a common syntax. No idea yet what comes after - perhaps ASCII character references? but then would only expect numbers between 1-255...

I don't know about writing indentations. Does anyone know if he was ever spotted in Tennessee, North Carolina or the Florida panhandle? I recall one FB comment mention he hitched a ride with "some girls" instead of doing the Alambama Road Walk on the Pinhoti

His hike through Tennessee and North Carolina has long been a mystery to us. I have not seen anyone say they met him in these states. However, he still could have hiked through them and perhaps stayed alone in shelters on the AT and had very little interaction with people. He would have been there during off seasons for hiking (Mid to Late Oct to Late Nov). Many of the hiking hostels in NC close in the late fall/winter season. At one point I plotted out the distance between AT shelters in NC and TN and figured out that the dates between when we know he was in Virgina and when he shows up again in Georgia give him enough time to have hiked from one AT shelter to the next one each day in NC & TN. The AT shelters in TN and NC are mostly close to each other (6 to 12 miles in most sections) and he said he hiked an average of 10 miles a day. It's only when he got to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park that he would have needed to get a back country hiking permit. IIRC, there is also a time limit for that permit- hikers have to finish the GSMNP portion of the AT within a certain number of days. I think he could have skipped it. If you talk to LE again, please ask them if they have ever checked the permits for GSMNP (He would have been there in Oct or Nov 2017). I'm very curious if he could have used his real name or if he used an alias to get a permit too.

As to your question on the panhandle of Florida, yes we have photos of him walking along the HWY near Crestview, FL in Jan 2018. A Trail Angel stopped to give him some water and snacks. It's the photo where he is holding up the "Thru Hike" sticker and there is another one from that same stop where he has a Ziploc bag of items in his hand. After that some campers encountered him at the Sand Pond Campground in Pine Log State Forest, near Ebro, FL in Feb 2018. Nothing concrete on this, but I have always had the impression he got his "Mostly Harmless" trail name while in the Sand Pond Campground. The story told on the CCSO podcast was that he was camping in Florida and some other campers/hikers invited him to join them around their camp fire "as long as he didn't bite" to which he replied "I'm mostly harmless". The others thought he was giving his trail name so they gave their trail names. That is how he got the trail name Mostly Harmless. He was called Denim before that for all of the AT and the majority of hikers who met him knew him as Denim.

I've never seen that about him hitching a ride with girls in AL although it's possible he did that when he reached the end of the Pinhoti or when he didn't want to hike it anymore. We have a photo of him taken Dec 29, 2017 near the start of the Pinhoti Trail. So he definitely began hiking it. It's the photo that has the white truck in the background. There's a main road that crosses the trail a few miles in and that's where some Trail Angels met him and took that picture before he continued on the trail. He had his tent by that time- he purchased it in GA. So he could have hiked the entire Pinhoti camping in his tent without running into very many people. But I think he would have needed a way to get from AL to the FL Trail so that may be when he got the ride.

Thank you so much for getting sections of his coding language from LE. I haven't been able to keep up with all the threads here lately but Denim is a case I think about a lot.

Last edited:
My opinion - he was
Ok finally! Anyone on here ever learned BASIC (there were a few flavors, but I learned on Apples)? This is how you used to code in the 1980s, a simple program would be:
10: GOTO 20
20: PRINT "X"

I don't recall much, i'll have to do some more research after work. Anyhow, those line #s were a common syntax. No idea yet what comes after - perhaps ASCII character references? but then would only expect numbers between 1-255...
I used BASIC, but nothing there, except possibly the line numbers remind me of BASIC.

What this looks like to me is "flow charting" (though it's not a flow chart per se) or the design before programming starts.

Sorry if I've missed it, was an autopsy performed to determine what may have been the cause of death (ingesting some kind of poisonous mushroom, waterborne illness etc.)? I recall previous comments suggesting that he had told a fellow hiker he had a health condition. If that's the case, perhaps he also has medical records that could be found via DNA?

His hike through Tennessee and North Carolina has long been a mystery to us. I have not seen anyone say they met him in these states. However, he still could have hiked through them and perhaps stayed alone in shelters on the AT and had very little interaction with people. He would have been there during off seasons for hiking (Mid to Late Oct to Late Nov). Many of the hiking hostels in NC close in the late fall/winter season. At one point I plotted out the distance between AT shelters in NC and TN and figured out that the dates between when we know he was in Virgina and when he shows up again in Georgia give him enough time to have hiked from one AT shelter to the next one each day in NC & TN. The AT shelters in TN and NC are mostly close to each other (6 to 12 miles in most sections) and he said he hiked an average of 10 miles a day. It's only when he got to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park that he would have needed to get a back country hiking permit. IIRC, there is also a time limit for that permit- hikers have to finish the GSMNP portion of the AT within a certain number of days. I think he could have skipped it. If you talk to LE again, please ask them if they have ever checked the permits for GSMNP (He would have been there in Oct or Nov 2017). I'm very curious if he could have used his real name or if he used an alias to get a permit too.

As to your question on the panhandle of Florida, yes we have photos of him walking along the HWY near Crestview, FL in Jan 2018. A Trail Angel stopped to give him some water and snacks. It's the photo where he is holding up the "Thru Hike" sticker and there is another one from that same stop where he has a Ziploc bag of items in his hand. After that some campers encountered him at the Sand Pond Campground in Pine Log State Forest, near Ebro, FL in Feb 2018. Nothing concrete on this, but I have always had the impression he got his "Mostly Harmless" trail name while in the Sand Pond Campground. The story told on the CCSO podcast was that he was camping in Florida and some other campers/hikers invited him to join them around their camp fire "as long as he didn't bite" to which he replied "I'm mostly harmless". The others thought he was giving his trail name so they gave their trail names. That is how he got the trail name Mostly Harmless. He was called Denim before that for all of the AT and the majority of hikers who met him knew him as Denim.

I've never seen that about him hitching a ride with girls in AL although it's possible he did that when he reached the end of the Pinhoti or when he didn't want to hike it anymore. We have a photo of him taken Dec 29, 2017 near the start of the Pinhoti Trail. So he definitely began hiking it. It's the photo that has the white truck in the background. There's a main road that crosses the trail a few miles in and that's where some Trail Angels met him and took that picture before he continued on the trail. He had his tent by that time- he purchased it in GA. So he could have hiked the entire Pinhoti camping in his tent without running into very many people. But I think he would have needed a way to get from AL to the FL Trail so that may be when he got the ride.

Thank you so much for getting sections of his coding language from LE. I haven't been able to keep up with all the threads here lately but Denim is a case I think about a lot.
As always, an excellent and thorough synopsis! :)

I wanted to add another possible reason he may not have encountered as many people as he did on other parts of the trail(s); Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria. Both Atlantic storms and both impacting the southeastern United States in August/Sept/October. I know at least one of them held up Denim for a few days, along with several other hikers. Although TN and NC weren’t the most effected by the storm, it would have likely caused otherwise off-season hikers to maybe stay home. It brought a lot of rainfall to those areas of the trail(s) that lasted well into October and November.

It really does make you wonder what he was up to during that time.

Just looking through all the stuff I’ve saved on Denim. Maybe this person who posted on Facebook was on to something? With econometrics. Again, I personally have no clue, but thought it looked somewhat similar when I googled it.

Attachments

• 184FADD2-D460-41A2-923B-15B5A6ED203F.jpeg
    184FADD2-D460-41A2-923B-15B5A6ED203F.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics