Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #37

ME TOO....ORDERED MASK, GLOVES, AND TYVEC SUITS FOR MY PARAMEDIC HUSBAND. GRADY HEALTH SAYS TYVEC SUITS ON BACKORDER AND HAS NONE FOR HIM..

NYT: "At the Department of Veterans Affairs, workers are scrambling to order medical supplies on Amazon after its leaders, lacking experience in disaster responses, failed to prepare for the onslaught of patients at its medical centers." Job Vacancies and Inexperience Mar Federal Response to Coronavirus
Geoff Bennett on Twitter

Coronavirus: 'Frailty score' plan angers special needs parents Coronavirus: 'Frailty score' plan angers parents

This just broke my heart. As a carer for someone who falls into this category we knew he wouldn’t have much chance if he gets it, but reading this just made me sick.
Broke my heart too. :( My little grandson is not quite a year old, but he will always be special needs, totally dependent on others. :( His life has already been so hard.

I don't know whether to share this article with my daughter or not. :(

This is ridiculous...my paramedic husband has been issued 1 N95....gotta make it last.....ATLANTA

Health workers in US hospitals are reusing surgical masks for a week or two. Reusing N95s. Figuring out ways to try to clean N95s without destroying them.

They need the masks. I'll do my part by practising physical distancing.

Helen Branswell on Twitter

"Ah crap, I put the zeroes in the wrong place again. Dammit!" - Neil Ferguson yesterday.

Don't sweat it, bud. We all make trillion dollar mistakes.

March 17th- The Imperial College London group led by Neil Ferguson reported that if nothing was done by governments and individuals and the pandemic remained uncontrolled, 510,000 would die in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States over the course of the outbreak.

March 25th-
Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson’s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

Ferguson now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K. — more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case [because] they were so old and sick.

Ferguson is presenting drastically downgraded estimates, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments, as reported by New Scientist Wednesday.

Ferguson thus dropped his prediction from 500,000 dead to 20,000.

Epidemiologist Behind Highly-Cited Coronavirus Model Drastically Revises Model

From the article, Ferguson believes that half the UK population already has Covid. What's not clear then, is why the test results are not lining up with this number.

As COVID-19 Spreads, Calls Grow To Protect Inmates In Federal Prisons
March 24, 2020 | 12:38 PM ET
[...]
As COVID-19 begins to hit jails and lockups around the country, the Trump administration is coming under growing pressure to release elderly and other particularly vulnerable inmates in the federal prison system to mitigate the risk of the virus' spread.

Already, three inmates and three staff at federal correctional facilities across the United States have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
[...]
In a letter to the White House, nine advocacy groups on both sides of the political spectrum urge President Trump to use his clemency power to commute the federal sentences of people eligible for compassionate release and other inmates at high-risk from the virus.
[...]

Coalition Letter Presidential Clemency COVID-19 — Justice Action Network

Imo a county with only one confirmed case is scary as hell. We can assume if one has the virus, he’s not the sole positive person in his county. Even if he contracted it outside the counting county, he has likely transmitted it.
Moo

They waited too long to put restrictions in place, IMO. I was shocked today to hear parks and playgrounds are still open. :( jmo

It is absolute insanity. Bozeman MT has been literally doubling cases this week. They just decided to close down nail salons, hairdressers, barbers, starting tomorrow! WTH? They should have been closed a week ago!

That isn't "Social Distancing"!

SOUTH CAROLINA HOSPITAL ASKING FOR DONATIONS...SEE LIST BELOW....NOT KIDDING...

Roper St. Francis Healthcare has created a donation center so that the community can donate critical supplies
that providers will need during the coronavirus outbreak.
Click the link to find out how and what you can donate.
Roper St. Francis Healthcare launches donation center for necessary supplies
ABC News 4 on Twitter

Items that considered acceptable are as followed:
  • Faceshields
  • N95 Masks (small and regular)
  • Gowns
  • Gloves
  • Sani Wipes
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Bleach Wipes
  • Goggles
  • Surgical masks/Isolation Masks
  • Bouffant caps

China hasn't told the truth about Covid-19 since the beginning. They initially denied human-to-human transmission was even possible. I take their stats with a heavy grain of salt.

JMO

I think we can stop accusing China . Does anyone think it would have made any difference in how quickly our own countries put protocols in place if China had said they had 100,000 cases, or 500,000 cases? Good grief, we still have places in the US that haven't locked down and the beast is on their doorstep!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back