Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So grateful for the man. It affects me personally- my kids and grandkids live in NY. And kids all work in NYC. So glad he’s in charge there. Eases my worried mind. JMO

Yes! My youngest lives in Brooklyn and works in NYC. I told her to stay put, your Governor is taking care of you!!

ETA: She then texted me a picture of homemade baked ziti and wrote "learned from you!"

It is a sensible statement but it doesn't take into consideration that people arriving by car can be many, many miles from home and will stop for gas and pick up snacks, etc. Not really well thought out, IMO.
It depends how you live this: for sure you can stop for gas and snacks, but do only what you reslly need to, dont start looking and thinking, go alone inside, dont take the whole family, dont wait, just go, tell what you want, buy and leave

The mayor of our town got tired of our lovely citizens thinking "the parks being closed don't apply to special me". The playgrounds have been dismantled, the hoops inoperable, shelter houses roped off or something.

Our police department has been told to start issuing citations to those too special to abide by the rules.

We have several city workers on quarantine and our staff is stretched a little thin.

:)

WASHINGTON

"Half of patients with #COVID19 #Coronavirus a Seattle-area nursing home had no symptoms when tested, official @CDCgov and King County report finds."

"And it spread quickly. '16 days after introduction of SARS-CoV-2 ... facility-wide testing identified a 30.3% prevalence of infection among residents, indicating very rapid spread, despite early adoption of infection prevention and control measures."

"Relying on symptoms to isolate patients doesn't work, the team concludes. Better to presume that once anyone has #COVID19 in a facility such as a nursing home, that everyone has it and act accordingly."

"A week after testing, 10 of the 13 who tested positive without symptoms developed fever (8 of them), malaise (6), and cough (5). On average it took 3 days to develop symptoms."

Maggie Fox on Twitter
"Relying on symptoms to isolate patients doesn't work, the team concludes"

Finally finally finally we don't have to play ostrich while insisting that tests should be saved for symptomatic people instead of declaring an emergency for making more tests. IMO this baloney about the states having to dig up their own tests and it's not the feds' job will be written in all history books as the FATAL FOLLY of 2020, and the names of the people who made those decisions will be etched in headlines by historians.

Last edited:
Yes! My youngest lives in Brooklyn and works in NYC. I told her to stay put, your Governor is taking care of you!!
I know. You and I are in the same boat and have similar thought waves, believe me. My son lives out on Long Island with DIL and 2 grands. Daughter and SIL and grandson in Hoboken. But I have faith in NJ governor and the actions of our state too.

They all work in Manhattan.

Lol, nurses don't "quit"!
If they were quitters, they'd have never made it through nursing school.
My class started out with 70.
1st night we got 7 HOURS of homework, only 40 showed up the next day. As time went on, bedpans, watching a 6 hour bowel surgery on a elderly woman who had an epidural and ativan, but was awake. She would wake up every now and then and ask if she was still alive.
Witnessing patients die and going to watch autopsies.
Being forced to take the stairs and never use an elevator unless with a patient and having to stand up whenever a doctor entered the nurses station, regardless of the number of chairs...
We graduated 18!
Moo
I'm retired now, but nurses rock!
Without my merciful nurses’ care in several dire health circumstances throughout my life ~ I absolutely would not be alive on this earth today. I think it’s possible I may have given up at one point if not for my nurses’ genuine authenticity and compassion. Most doctors are spectacular. Keeping it real, nurses are our true angels on earth. Their hands-on patient care is overwhelming to both our bodies and our spirits as they lift us up.
“It is not how much we do – it is how much love we put into the doing.” – Mother Teresa

Wigan, England
Lucy, a mental health nurse at the North West Boroughs NHS Trust, was heading home from Wigan Infirmary after a 12-hour shift when the crash happened.

After the crash in Wigan, the 73-year-old told Lucy he had no family he was still in contact with and had not eaten for up to ten days because he was self-isolating during the coronavirus crisis.

Lucy said: "I could see he was veering onto the wrong side of the road and then, as we passed, the front end of his car hit the side of mine.

"I wasn't hurt, only shocked. I turned the car round and thought that he had pulled over too, but actually he was driving very slowly. "I followed and he came to a stop. As I approached the car I could see that he was an elderly man."

"He was in poor shape. He was also struggling to speak and breathe. He grabbed my arms and I leaned in to him and he said 'I'm sorry but I think I have coronavirus'.

"He had gone out in his car to get some food and essentials, as he knew he would die without them."

Paramedics arrived and took the man to hospital with Lucy following in her car.
She stayed there for several hours while he underwent various tests including one which showed that his lungs were only working at 50 per cent capacity.

Lucy, from Atherton in Lancashire, is now self-isolating for the next fortnight which has meant her mum, brother and his girlfriend have had to move out of the family home.

Simon Barber, Chief Executive at North West Boroughs Healthcare, said: "Lucy's story is absolutely fantastic. It brought a tear to my eye.

"I and the rest of North West Boroughs Healthcare are so very proud of Lucy's quick-thinking and selfless actions to help someone in need. "She is everything we could possibly want our staff to be and is a shining example of true NHS compassion in these difficult times. What a superstar."
Nurse finds elderly man who hadn't eaten for 10 days in coronavirus self-isolation as he had no friends or family

Thanks for this, lilibet. I hadn't checked our local numbers yet this morning and hate to see the community spread. :( I'm so thankful my son is no longer working.

I’m glad you saw it @kodi. I know there are at least the two of us here on WS. :) I’m glad y0ur son is able to stay home.

I hate to see the community spread too, even though the numbers so far are small...emphasis on “so far”! Jackson County had tested over 600 the last time I looked. This is among the highest numbers of tests in the state. So our percentage of confirmed cases is relatively small compared to Josephine County with fewer tested. But I’m not going to relax!

I know. You and I are in the same boat and have similar thought waves, believe me. My son lives out on Long Island with DIL and 2 grands. Daughter and SIL and grandson in Hoboken. But I have faith in NJ governor and the actions of our state too.

They all work in Manhattan.

NJ's Governor Murphy is doing an excellent job! He posts all the time on FB with updates!

Without my merciful nurses’ care in several dire health circumstances throughout my life ~ I absolutely would not be alive on this earth today. I think it’s possible I may have given up at one point if not for my nurses’ genuine authenticity and compassion. Most doctors are spectacular. Keeping it real, nurses are our true angels on earth. Their hands-on patient care is overwhelming to both our bodies and our spirits as they lift us up.
“It is not how much we do – it is how much love we put into the doing.” – Mother Teresa

Wigan, England
Lucy, a mental health nurse at the North West Boroughs NHS Trust, was heading home from Wigan Infirmary after a 12-hour shift when the crash happened.

After the crash in Wigan, the 73-year-old told Lucy he had no family he was still in contact with and had not eaten for up to ten days because he was self-isolating during the coronavirus crisis.

Lucy said: "I could see he was veering onto the wrong side of the road and then, as we passed, the front end of his car hit the side of mine.

"I wasn't hurt, only shocked. I turned the car round and thought that he had pulled over too, but actually he was driving very slowly. "I followed and he came to a stop. As I approached the car I could see that he was an elderly man."

"He was in poor shape. He was also struggling to speak and breathe. He grabbed my arms and I leaned in to him and he said 'I'm sorry but I think I have coronavirus'.

"He had gone out in his car to get some food and essentials, as he knew he would die without them."

Paramedics arrived and took the man to hospital with Lucy following in her car.
She stayed there for several hours while he underwent various tests including one which showed that his lungs were only working at 50 per cent capacity.

Lucy, from Atherton in Lancashire, is now self-isolating for the next fortnight which has meant her mum, brother and his girlfriend have had to move out of the family home.

Simon Barber, Chief Executive at North West Boroughs Healthcare, said: "Lucy's story is absolutely fantastic. It brought a tear to my eye.

"I and the rest of North West Boroughs Healthcare are so very proud of Lucy's quick-thinking and selfless actions to help someone in need. "She is everything we could possibly want our staff to be and is a shining example of true NHS compassion in these difficult times. What a superstar."
Nurse finds elderly man who hadn't eaten for 10 days in coronavirus self-isolation as he had no friends or family

It breaks my heart that anyone is going through this utterly alone. Thank God for that Nurse.

By Friday, the novel coronavirus outbreak in the United States had grown to at least 94,238 cases in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. There are outbreak clusters in New York, Washington State and California, according to Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking reports and confirming them with local health departments.

The number of cases in the U.S. and worldwide is the subject of some debate, as testing has been rolled out unevenly and the criteria for diagnosis (through clinical means or a lab test) has varied from country-to-country.

Coronavirus map: Tracking the spread in the US and around the world

OT—Earthquake in area of west TX where @cody22 lives. Hope all is well!

5.0-magnitude earthquake shakes West Texas and El Paso area
That was yesterday and quite a few miles West away from where we are here. We are all fine.........I just woke up from a nap and I am now 10 pages behind on this thread.........I am just gonna pretend that yall didn't write anything........ Did I miss margarita25 and Pommymommy doing the " Baby Shark Washy Hands " singing and dancing video challenge ?..........moo

Last edited:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article241554451.html

Puerto Rico reported its third death due to COVID-19 on Friday, saying a 48-year-old woman on the island’s western coast had succumbed to the novel coronavirus. It’s the first time an island resident had died due to the growing pandemic.

The latest victim, also the island’s youngest, died before her test results came back confirming that she had COVID-19.

The first fatality took place on March 21 and involved a 71-year-old Italian woman who had been evacuated from the Costa Luminosa cruise ship with breathing problems. Two days later, a 73-year-old-tourist from New York died, also in San Juan.

Non political post:

I would like to please take this opportunity to state that I am very, very disappointed and angry that the US has now reached this mile marker of leading the world in the highest number of Covid-19 cases.

While there are a lot of things that are/were out of our control, there were a lot of things that were in our control. We had a lot of time to help push this virus back and minimize its spread, but judging from these latest numbers, it is very clear to me that there was severe failure on many levels and I can say this since I have monitored everything that has gone down since the beginning, even noting them as they were happening...Mardi Gras, Cruise Ships, just to name a minute fraction of missteps.

Unfortunately due to a variety of factors which are clearly documented in the earlier threads, we are here today. It is disgraceful and shameful we have now jumped to these case numbers because of things that we DID have the power to control.

Again, it is because of everything I have learned from Dr. Mike that I will focus my efforts going forward and not direct blame or cry over spilled milk, but I think I have the right to respectfully express my dissatisfaction and academic interpretation of what has happened to date.

And as I sadly predicted, some people dropped the ball for others, and many others will now pay for this with their lives and severe illness.

We did NOT need to be at this point. Look at all the other nations who did such a good job of containment and mitigation, comprehensive governmental approaches, everything that WHO has talked about since day 1. Dr. Tedros gave us a gift, telling us that we had a “Window of Opportunity”, and unfortunately imo many people in the United States squandered that opportunity. We had so much reference from which to learn and take note. People closed their eyes. We had the gift of time. It too was squandered IMO.

Moving forward, many people did and are taking this seriously now. People on the front lines and in so many capacities are working so hard, and we salute you and thank you.

God Bless our front lines, our medical workers, and everyone who is doing their part.

Last edited:
NBA stars Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell cleared of coronavirus

Utah Jazz stars Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell have officially recovered from coronavirus, the team announced Friday. Gobert was the first NBA player to test positive for the virus on March 11, which prompted the NBA to cancel games indefinitely.

Coronavirus updates: New York seeks more hospitals as COVID-19 death toll mounts

Rudy was the idiot who touched all the microphones and caused a spread of the virus during a press conference for March Madness.

That was yesterday and quite a few miles West away from where we are here. We are all fine.........I just woke up from a nap and I am now 10 pages behind on this thread.........I am just gonna pretend that yall didn't write anything........moo

Glad to hear y’all are OK @cody22. I guess the news took a day to make it to Oregon (I didn’t check the date). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member