Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to praise one of our local churches here in SW FL. They did a drive thru food distribution today. I told the sign in lady that as a cancer patient, this was the safest way for me to get food. I explained that my daughter was unable to get much from the store, how grateful I was and how much I appreciated them doing this, for those of us who really needed it. She was so kind, walked over to the food area and got a box of dog treats for Athena (our foster dog). We had zero dog treats and the humane society didn’t have any either.

We received a 5lb frozen package of turkey lunch meat, 4 heads of cabbage, a dozen eggs, 2 loaves of French bread, a bag of dinner rolls, donuts, 2 bags of trail mix, 3 red potatoes, 4 bags of Brussels sprouts, 2 bunches of bananas, 1 salad mix, 1 kale mix, 4 little bags of fresh okra, 4 cans of soup, 4 cans of veggies, a box of raisins, 2 cans of peaches, 2 big cans of cooked ground pork and 2 bouquets of flowers!!

I’m the only one who can eat the bread items because both my kids are allergic to wheat. So I am sharing with my friend. It is such a relief to have enough food here.

Counting my blessing today for all the wonderful people who are helping me stay safe.

Some very promising things have happend, small but very quickly. I believe it's both Germany and S Korea that have managed to put into production rapid test kits (less than hour of waiting) and they are gearing up to ship 300,000 per month. I have no idea how trade agreements and all that will work.

Next, there will be the all-important antibody test. In order to go near a vulnerable person, a person should have to clear both of those tests. But when that happens - about 50% of everyone can go back to work without worry for themselves or for others (as a vector of transmission).

We have one of those so called wine refrigerators that we use for potatoes, it works like a charm. It's too warm in SoCal to just let them be in the dark - they like 55 degrees just fine.

I think you can make hootch out of potatoes. So being in your wine fridge is a good place for them. Cold hootch when you want to switch to something a bit more explosive! It could make you blind, so one needs to be careful. But with everyone having to stay in, and retailers running short on many things, including onions, potatoes and real wine, it’s good to know some basic things. Making bread, for example. Potato bread, especially, bc you can be especially frugal and use the potato skins and yeast for other food groups. Namely, to flavor 6-8 glasses of water or water substitute a day. Just start out slow if you’re not used to drinking so much flavored water.

A trip to the Post Office.

Everyone stands on their "tape" placed six feet away, from every one else. You walk up to the counter, the post official is 6 feet away, you want to mail a package and buy stamps. You have to move six feet back, the official gives you the sticker for the package, moves six feet back, you move forward to the counter, fill out address sticker, move six feet back...on and on. Okay.

Plan for 45 minutes to mail a package.

Mine has two zones - red /54 and white/46 - red must be better? Wouldn’t want to freeze them

Tough to freeze alcohol. Beer yes. Lower percent. But the higher the proof, the less likely to form ice. Best you’ll get are ICE COLD shooters. Aquavit comes to mind. Schnapps. Scandinavians are renown for their icy cold alcohol drinks. I think they keep them in the freezer in bottles so when the occasion arises, they are ready with a toast. Skol, I believe is the salute they use.

edited to add:
Hootch and methanol can make you blind. Aquavit just makes your eyes blur for several hours. Don’t drive while checking out these home made brews. Or try to swim by yourself, in icewater after a hot sauna, anything semi-dangerous.

Last edited:
I just did my first instacart order. I didn’t think our little town would have it but apparently we do and Monday morning is the first slot. I can’t get out of a scarcity mentality so we stuck to non-perishables except milk and eggs and one container of spinach! I just hope they can find our house!

This is going to sound silly, gross or just dumb but with the shortages of TP, I suggest you all keep those weekly flyers (newsprint). They tear up real good! :D

These are trying times and maybe another suggestion is to try to ration your foods and TP. Having a Mother who was in England during the war, I know they made do with very little. Small portions of food, no seconds and no snacking between meals. Keep yourself busy, even during lock down, so that you do not snack.

If you have a garden, try to grow some sort of veggies, it will all help. The 'eyes' on a potato can become a potato plant and will actually grow in a plant pot. Dont need a yard for that, can be done on a window sill.

Hope these ideas help, anything to stretch our resources. Peace.

Please remember, however devastating this WuFlu is, most people DO survive it. It has an 80%+ survival rate.

Yes, many will die and not all elderly. There was a 95 yr old Italian lady sent home from hospital last weekend, after 3 weeks in hospital. She said she had great care and they saved her life. What a trooper!

Well in lockdown, Mr. Laughing sorted out the big freezer in the garage.

Happy, happy, happy, trout on the menu at Chez Laughing this evening!!!

We're not sure when he caught them, but both are good sized & absolutely lovely!

Our local Ozarkistani Wal-Mart was fairly busy at 7:00 AM, vast majority of shoppers careful about distance.

Best, Laughing

Well in lockdown, Mr. Laughing sorted out the big freezer in the garage.

Happy, happy, happy, trout on the menu at Chez Laughing this evening!!!

We're not sure when he caught them, but both are good sized & absolutely lovely!

Our local Ozarkistani Wal-Mart was fairly busy at 7:00 AM, vast majority of shoppers careful about distance.

Best, Laughing
They’ve closed the beaches here in FL and I am actually wondering if they’ll stop people from fishing. The old sunshine skyway bridge was turned into a fishing pier with restrooms. People actually sleep in their cars then get up to fish in the middle of the night. I think those with fishing skills will be able to keep their families fed well. Many fish off the bridges over the rivers and deep creeks too. I hope they let them continue as long as people are distancing themselves appropriately.

We’ve not had any luck finding toilet paper I’m trying not to stress it. But ....

Zero Waste Toilet Paper - Going Zero Waste

Not really considering this yet, but I did use cloth diapers with the Little Laughings.

I also have a fabric stash, so considering zig-zig stitching the edge of some of the scraps from cutting out cloth face masks. Just in case.

I'm an old woman, no need for monthly items. Aging is not for sissies, but that's sure a benefit!!!

Best, Laughing

Does anyone else look at their empty toilet paper cardboard roll and sigh?

Yep. LOL

Seriously, we have enough for 2 weeks - but I just got back from Publix and out of morbid curiosity, walked down every single aisle to see what the latest out-of-stock trend is:

white vinegar
pasta
toilet paper
paper towels
bar soap
rubbing alcohol

Well by the time I peeked down the paper goods aisle and saw empty shelves where TP and paper towels were supposed to be, I broke out laughing. No one else was in that aisle to look at me and think, "She must be nuts."

I have to wonder why cookies have not been hoarded. The cookie aisle at Publix has been stocked since Day One of this COVID-19.

I know Walgreens still has TP and paper towels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member