Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just watching it. It's a terrible pragmatic choice to make, a modern take on Sophie's Choice. I think the husband is hanging on by a thread psychologically.

what are you referring to? it's easier to follow the conversation if you quote what you are replying to

Right. In a city of nearly 12 million.
Testing positive is not a death sentence. Statistics are 98% or more will be fine.
Being prudent is great. Panicking is not.
My opinion.

I think the homeless population will be hit hard, I think the intra venious drug users will be hit hard. I think the Kobe Bryant memorial attendees might get hit hard. There is a reason for the big hospital ship. I know you know that. My grandson started getting sick when school got out, and I tried my hardest not to get sick, but it got us both and we are very slowly getting better, but its been many days. Neither of us have ever had flue shots, and I haven't been this sick for 30 years. I don't know if we have it or not because I was told to only go to the hospital if having trouble breathing. I almost feel relieved to get it over with because we are both still here. Could be we just have regular long lasting flue. I doubt we will ever know. I read a while back that 56 percent of human people are gonna get it. Survival rate will be high. I will say that for one night or two, I thought ut oh, this is it. A couple of very dark days. But here I am.

I was taught that God has a plan for each of us, and I just kinda go with that.

Anyway, this is my long winded way of saying I agree with you. haha

I appreciate the dystopian viewpoint - I think false hope of everyone back to work and sitting in church on Easter Sunday is unhelpful. Leadership is about guiding the country through the abyss, not propping emotions with fantasy.

The next epicentre country is going to blow everyone's minds because the numbers could be so overwhelming - it will be a country that has done little to prepare for the epidemic and little to control the highly contagious fatal virus.

So... I got bad news and good news today...

A friend in our gaming group is a recovering addict who just reached his first year being clean. This morning his beloved dog, a little three-legged Chihuahua, was attacked by another dog and had to go in for surgery. The dog is a sweetheart and my friend's companion. We're still waiting to hear news but I'm worried for both of them. If the dog doesn't make it I'm afraid my friend will relapse.

On a brighter note, another friend in Tacoma who runs a tooling company designed and engineered face shields and delivered close to 100 today to two local hospitals. He said the nurses were in tears when he gave the shields to them.

He believes he can produce about 400 a day. Production supplies are running low but another company is building a website to ask for donations for more supplies and to list companies like my friend's who have chosen to divert production to creating shields and other equipment for the medical community.

No, it isn't millions or even hundreds of thousands but enough small companies willing to donate time and supplies to produce these items can make a difference. Just ask the nurses.

I appreciate the dystopian viewpoint - I think false hope of everyone back to work and sitting in church on Easter Sunday is unhelpful. Leadership is about guiding the country through the abyss, not propping emotions with fantasy.

The next epicentre country is going to blow everyone's minds because the numbers could be so overwhelming - it will be a country that has done little to prepare for the epidemic and little to control the highly contagious fatal virus.

[bbm]

what's your guess?

I believe it was @Snoods that mentioned hearing this interview earlier. I found the video interview, and it is as Snoods posted, the NY physician states clearly they have enough ventilators.

I don’t get it, what’s going on?

Doctors on frontlines of coronavirus battle

Yes, pulmonologist Dr Ahme, thank you for posting! She’s awesome and so calming. She says they have 100’s of ventilators. She has full confidence in the governor and the president, it’s time to be calm.

Something important I forgot from her interview, I was posting from memory and paint fumes:
“The governor has lifted certain restrictions on malpractice lawsuits, which makes doctors feel safer when working incredibly hard under huge pressure.”

A friend in our gaming group is a recovering addict who just reached his first year being clean. This morning his beloved dog, a little three-legged Chihuahua, was attacked by another dog and had to go in for surgery. The dog is a sweetheart and my friend's companion. We're still waiting to hear news but I'm worried for both of them. If the dog doesn't make it I'm afraid my friend will relapse.

On a brighter note, another friend in Tacoma who runs a tooling company designed and engineered face shields and delivered close to 100 today to two local hospitals. He said the nurses were in tears when he gave the shields to them.

He believes he can produce about 400 a day. Production supplies are running low but another company is building a website to ask for donations for more supplies and to list companies like my friend's who have chosen to divert production to creating shields and other equipment for the medical community.

No, it isn't millions or even hundreds of thousands but enough small companies willing to donate time and supplies to produce these items can make a difference. Just ask the nurses.

yes even one makes a difference to that person

I heard about a Canadian company in London Ontario that is using 3D printers and mylar to build face shields. I don't have the link, but production levels were good.

I know. Do you have Schwan’s delivery in your area, the big yellow frozen food truck? They are a tad higher than a box grocer, but have a fairly good selection, again frozen only. You might google & if they do service your area, place an online order.

Interesting that you mention Schwan's delivery because we received an email this afternoon that the lady who delivers our route presented with Coronavirus symptoms suddenly, and died. Sweet, sweet lady. We are so sad for her family and friends. Selfishly, we are all on edge in the neighborhood now, as we interact with her weekly. She even passed out ice cream to all the kids.

What? At least one of our members had trouble getting her latest refill. Nothing political about that.

It's a generic drug meaning there are multiple manufacturers. I don't believe there is a shortage. If an insurance company has denied a prescription, that is up to the insurance company. They have doctors on staff making decisions.

This news article doesn't indicate there is a shortage.

JMO
Novartis and Bayer latest to donate chloroquine for COVID-19

My husband gets our replacement perishables at Safeway (owned by Albertsons). Today when he arrived in the parking lot and was about to grab a cart, an employee with a spray bottle said “May I disinfect that for you sir?” It’s kind of like the old days at gas stations “Can I clean your windows?” :D But so necessary. There was lots of cleaning with spray disinfectants going on throughout the store. Plexiglass shields have been installed at each check stand. My husband wipes everything down when he gets home.

Never heard of this news media, propublical.
That is worrisome to me. There's enough fake news flying around.
Please everyone, let's check our sources.
Before posting what could be a rumor. Tia
ProPublica is a very credible source of news. They've won numerous Pulitzer prizes for their investigative journalism.

Last edited:
SOUTHERN OREGON (@kodi and others who live here)

I posted earlier today local news that the Oregon Shakespeare Festival has laid off 80% of its 500 employees, about 400. We have made the New York Times now...a dubious distinction but worth noting what a big deal this is (link sent to me by my friend halfway around the world in Timor Leste who grew up here.). Some may wonder why the closing of a theatre is a big deal. I used to work there and know many employees who are affected, so it’s a big deal personally. :( But also, this is a town of about 22,000 and OSF is one of its largest employers and brings about 400,000 visitors to town. So the trickle down impact on small businesses and the atmosphere of the town is huge. This is being repeated in other theatre towns around the country, not just in Ashland. And we’re not even talking about people dying....

From the link:

“We’re trying to make sure we have enough cash to regroup and come back,” said Nataki Garrett, the artistic director of the festival, which in ordinary seasons has about 800 performances attended by about 400,000 people. “Without money coming in from ticket sales for current shows or future shows, we have to say we have this much cash, and it will last us this long.”
<snip>

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival, founded in 1935, won the regional theater Tony Award in 1983 and presents contemporary work as well as classics; the festival has helped develop several shows that ultimately landed on Broadway, including the Pulitzer-winning “Sweat” and the Tony-winning “All the Way.”

The festival, which has three theaters, has a particularly long season, running eight months of the year in Ashland, a Rogue Valley city just north of the California border. The city is heavily dependent on tourism — visitors to the festival sustain a number of hotels, restaurants and shops — and has had a rough few years because smoke from wildfires in the Northwest has forced the cancellation of some outdoor performances and deterred some travelers.

Spring Culture Fell to Virus. In Oregon, Summer Theater Now Succumbs.

I know, friend, this is devastating to our small town. It’s devastating for everywhere.

My DH is doing the shopping since I have underlying health issues but we’re trying to keep them down as much as possible. Do you need anything @Lilibet? He’s going out tomorrow. I’m still working and can drop off supplies or food if you need it and would be happy to.

Never heard of this news media, propublical.
That is worrisome to me. There's enough fake news flying around.
Please everyone, let's check our sources.
Before posting what could be a rumor. Tia

ProPublica is a highly regarded nonprofit source of investigative journalism; to suggest that it is “fake news” is woefully misinformed.
Oh, and it took me a whole 30 seconds to Google them and look at the “About” information on their website:

ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force. We dig deep into important issues, shining a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust — and we stick with those issues as long as it takes to hold power to account.

With a team of more than 100 dedicated journalists, ProPublica covers a range of topics including government and politics, business, criminal justice, the environment, education, health care, immigration, and technology. We focus on stories with the potential to spur real-world impact. Among other positive changes, our reporting has contributed to the passage of new laws; reversals of harmful policies and practices; and accountability for leaders at local, state and national levels.
Investigative journalism requires a great deal of time and resources, and many newsrooms can no longer afford to take on this kind of deep-dive reporting. As a nonprofit, ProPublica’s work is powered primarily through donations. The vast bulk of the money we spend goes directly into world-class, award-winning journalism. We are committed to uncovering the truth, no matter how long it takes or how much it costs, and we practice transparent financial reporting so donors know how their dollars are spent.

ProPublica was founded in 2007-2008 with the belief that investigative journalism is critical to our democracy. Our staff remains dedicated to carrying forward the important work of exposing corruption, informing the public about complex issues, and using the power of investigative journalism to spur reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
translator