Australia & New Zealand - COVID-19 Coronavirus

New tests that give results in less than an hour approved for use in Australia

Two rapid-diagnostic tests for COVID-19 have been cleared for use in Australia, promising results in less than an hour, as authorities fast-track the approval process.
Faster testing could allow many more patients to get confirmed diagnoses of COVID-19, potentially helping to slow the spread of the virus causing the disease.

Coronavirus update: New tests that give results in less than an hour approved for use in Australia

Good news.

Toilet paper brand Quilton have announced they will donate one million rolls to Australia's elderly and most vulnerable.

"We are working with a number of registered charities to achieve this," Quilton said in a statement.

"They will be the ones making sure the donated rolls end up where they are supposed to."

Quilton said the "roll-out" will happen over the next two weeks starting from today and if anyone would like to nominate a registered charity to email:

1millionrolls@quilton.com.au

Live updates: Woolworths stands down 8,000 workers

:)

The Northern Territory has confirmed its sixth case of coronavirus.

NT Health Minister Natasha Fyles said a 75-year-old man from Darwin tested positive for COVID-19 overnight and is in isolation.

He flew into Darwin from the United States and Sydney on Friday 20 March.

The man travelled on flight QF840, which touched down at 1pm.

NT Health authorities will contact passengers on the plane who were sitting within a two-seat radius of the man over the next 24 hours.

Live updates: Woolworths stands down 8,000 workers

Supermarkets, pharmacies in NSW get green light for 24-hour trading

Supermarkets and pharmacies around New South Wales have been given the green light to trade 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the near future, Planning and Public Spaces Minister Rob Stokes announced.

Changes to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act of 1979 will come into effect immediately.

“These orders cut red tape so we can move quickly and decisively to ensure the health, wellbeing and safety of our community during this time,” Mr Stokes said.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/con...iWEue4tkFOWaSLzeIZYm44DLUA#Echobox=1585126482

Is it ok to post New Zealand stuff here? According to the pinned post they don't want to anymore new threads besides the general discussion one, so is it ok to update with news for kiwis here? Since we're practically cuzzies, after all. ;)

Sure Zoriah, we're most definitely cuzzies! :) :) NZ is leading the charge in any case, well done, Jacinda Ardern!

First deaths recorded in Victoria, 190 new coronavirus cases in NSW

Victoria's Chief Medical Officer Brett Sutton says two men in their 70s have died in the state overnight.
Victoria now has 520 cases of COVID. The deaths bring the national total to 11.

In New South Wales, health authorities have confirmed 190 new coronavirus infections, bringing the state's total to 1,219.

The new cases were recorded in a 24-hour period to 8:00pm AEDT yesterday.

The number of new infections is less than in the previous 24 hours (to 8:00pm Tuesday), when 212 new cases were recorded.

Coronavirus update: Australians still stuck in overseas 'hotspots' including thousands on cruises

Sure Zoriah, we're most definitely cuzzies! :) :) NZ is leading the charge in any case, well done, Jacinda Ardern!

Thanks!

We went to level 4 lockdown at midnight last night. But we were given 48 hours notice to prepare. Also the stimulus package seems pretty reasonable. My hubby and I have applied for a mortgage holiday and also for an income subsidy for the work that he has lost (due to being a private tutor). My son is currently viewing the lockdown as an early gaming holiday.

The adults, of course, are a bit more stressed about the whole thing. Luckily my elderly parents are only 10 minutes away if there are any problems.

Some official links to New Zealand's safety measures and latest updates:

Covid-19 coronavirus: What will alert level 4 mean for New Zealand?

$12.1 billion support for New Zealanders and business

I'm actually pretty happy with the government's bipartisan response to this crisis so far. I don't think they overreacted, and they seem to be keeping up the lines of communication with the public.

It's got to be a tough gig to be a world leader right now. Jacinda seems to be handling it pretty well imo, taking advice from the experts and acting decisively when needed. :)

Is it ok to post New Zealand stuff here? According to the pinned post they don't want to anymore new threads besides the general discussion one, so is it ok to update with news for kiwis here? Since we're practically cuzzies, after all. ;)

I can extend the title into Australia & New Zealand!

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe64bb632-8427-4502-bf49-ea4ef3766b07

Coronavirus live updates: PM orders hotel quarantine

All overseas arrivals to be quarantined in hotels for 14 days

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced stronger enforcement measures for Australians returning to the country who do not observe self-isolation laws.

By midnight tomorrow, all states and territories will be quarantining all arrivals through hotels in hotels for two weeks.
After 14 days, the quarantined people can return to their homes.

Members of the Defence Force will also be brought in to assist with compliance of the new self-isolation requirements.

Why coronavirus kills more men than women

Smoking, drinking, general poor health: Researchers say these are some of the factors that could explain why more men seem to be dying from coronavirus than women.

In countries such as Italy, men represent nearly 60 percent of people who tested positive for the virus and more than 70 percent of those who have died, according to the country's National Health Institute (ISS).
Even in countries like South Korea, where the proportion of women who have tested positive for the virus is higher than that of men, about 54 percent of the reported deaths are among men.

So far, in Australia, we're in the 'flatten the curve' mode. I read up on an abc article about it and what it means. We're attempting to slow the spread by social distancing and self-isolation, eventually 60% of population will have contracted the virus and develop herd immunity. We've closed non-essential services and PM has asked everyone to limit travel, only to and from work or to do weekly shop, otherwise stay home. Those who can work from home are doing just that.
Near 1 million people have lost their jobs as all clubs, pubs, restaurants, gyms etc. are closed. :(

Once we have our supermarkets stocked up again, it will ease some of the stress as the most vulnerable were doing without essential items like toilet paper and rice/pasta, mince meat (these food items go a long way) it's a shame a small percentage of the public decided to stock pile a years worth in their homes and brought the nation to their knees. :rolleyes: o_O
Toilet paper is manufactured in Australia, there was never a need to hoard. :rolleyes:
We grow 95% of our fruit and veg, and we have a thriving meat industry.

NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, has lifted the curfew to allow trucks to access warehouses stocking the supermarket goods 24 hours of the day. We should notice a difference in the next week or so. :)

Queensland will close its borders as the state government moves to stop the spread of coronavirus.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said her cabinet made the decision on Monday after the state confirmed 60 more cases of the disease, taking its tally to 319.
At a press conference earlier on Monday, the premier said people should “stay in their suburb” during holidays.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...coronavirus-spread-premier-announces-c-758261

My son and his gf live in Brisbane, the local elections as of today are still going ahead this Saturday!
Closing borders but having masses of people file into polling booths, voting with cardboard dividers between people which can't be cleaned, given 'how to vote' cards and slips of paper to vote, it should be postponed! Too late for postal voting, phone line for voting is constantly engaged!

Elderly people will turn up and risk contracting the virus! ECQ advice, bring your own pencil! :mad: o_O
My son voted this morning, he said only 3 people inside so was pretty good but I wonder if many didn't turn up, that's a very unusual amount of people for a Saturday.

Basically only only returning NZ citizens and residents are allowed into the country now. And they go straight into self-isolation/quarantine.

All schools and non-essential businesses are closed. Only businesses that have govt approval are allowed to keep open, such as: supermarkets, gas stations, police, hospitals, pharmacies etc.

We are all expected to shelter in place; if we can work from home, great. We are not allowed to go out and about unless it's for specific reasons such as groceries. No gatherings larger than 10. People out driving been pulled over and questioned as to their reasons. There are going to be penalties enforced.

Basically NZ is trying to aggressively break the chain of transmission of the the virus. We only had a few possible community spread cases (the majority were from overseas travel) but that was enough to put us into full lockdown.

We are basically operating under the assumption that we're all in this together, and our job now is to stay at home and prevent covid-19 from spreading into the more vulnerable population.

The government is offering work subsidies, business loans and mortgage holidays for those impacted by the situation.

My husband just got his work subsidy approved. And we were given a 3 month mortgage holiday on the house. normally that would mean not having to pay the principal but but only interest. But now the interest is also deferred for 3 months. If that make sense.

I think the government and the general population has taken the virus seriously from the start. I think we learnt a lot from how other countries handled it such as South Korea.

But bear in mind that we have a very small population of just under 5 million people. We are also bordered on all sides by the ocean. It's a lot easier for us logistically to mobilise a shutdown of the country on short notice.

'We are stronger together' is our current motto. Kia kaha to all (and especially to our Australian cousins), in this time of crisis.

Queenslanders must 'stay at home this Easter' as convention centre action plan unveiled, 100 years after Spanish flu

Queenslanders who had still been planning a get away for the Easter holidays have been told to "forget it".
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has told locals not to head to the beach over the holiday period, and instead to stay in their own suburbs to reduce potential COVID-19 infection.
"Stay in your state and stay in your suburbs. I have heard reports that people up north are thinking about coming down to our beaches on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. Can I tell everyone forget it," Ms Palaszczuk said.

She confirmed locations such as Brisbane's Ekka could be made into makeshift hospitals which would house potentially thousands of patients.
Queenslanders must 'stay at home this Easter' as convention centre action plan unveiled, 100 years after Spanish flu

Victorian coronavirus cases spike by 111

Returned travellers and businesses face steep fines in Victoria for breaching quarantine and mass gathering rules as the states coronavirus cases jumped by a record number to almost 700.
The total confirmed virus cases in Victoria spiked by 111 to 685 on Saturday, the state's biggest single day jump of the COVID-19 outbreak.
It comes as the government announced tough new on-the-spot fines of $1652 for travellers found to be out-and-about within 14 days of returning from overseas.
Businesses breaching restrictions about mass gatherings - including weddings, funerals and auctions - face penalties of up to $9913.
Premier Daniel Andrews told people to stay home to stop the spread of coronavirus, despite clear skies and warm weather over the weekend.

"(It's a) beautiful day today. Sadly, you need to stay home," Mr Andrews told reporters on Saturday.

Victorian coronavirus cases spike by 111 - 9News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back