Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Association for Respiratory Care, The Society of Critical Care Medicine, American Society for Respiratory Care, American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses and many other groups have come out against use of the valve which allows multiple people to use one ventilator. I did a screen shot of some of the reasons they listed.

View attachment 240652
View attachment 240654
View attachment 240653

Source:

I agree - this thought of multiple patients on same ventilator has troubled me from the first suggestion. In my opinion it compromises all the patients using the same ventilator. MOO
I do understand this is unprecedented times and we have to be innovative, but I'm not certain this is the way to go

These Italian care workers decided to self quarantine with their elderly patients

Thirteen workers in an Italian retirement home have taken an unusual decision and decided to self-quarantine with the 60 elderly people they assist.

“We decided to self isolate ourselves because the Covid-19 situation here in Italy was getting worse."

"None of our guests are positive, thankfully.”

Coronavirus live updates: Pandemic upends daily life worldwide - CNN

Good morning to all. Do I stay in the house and be a lazy bum today or do I start mowing the back yard Wilderness Area ?....... I need some more coffee to study on this important decision............Yall all have a happy safe day......:)..........I sure wish the Breakfast Burrito Fairy would show up this morning....moo

'Stranded at sea': cruise ships around the world are adrift as ports turn them away

The Holland America Zaandam is one of at least 10 ships around the world – carrying nearly 10,000 passengers – still stuck at sea after having been turned away from their destination ports. The Zaandam is carrying hundreds of American, Canadian, Australian and British passengers, and is currently off the coast of Ecuador and seeking permission to dock in Florida.

There are five ships in the Americas that were unable to unload nearly 6,000 passengers. At least three other ships were having trouble off the coast of Australia, including one which sought urgent medical attention for an outbreak of respiratory illness. Two more ships were trying to get passengers to ports in Italy.

The Coral Princess was due to dock in Buenos Aires on 18 March but is now headed for Florida. So far the cruise ship has only been allowed to disembark passengers from South America; more than a thousand US, Canadian and British citizens remain on the ship.

In Florida, the attorney general’s office is investigating potentially misleading sales practices, after the Miami New Times obtained leaked emails showing representatives for Norwegian Cruise Lines may have downplayed the coronavirus in sales pitches to passengers, even as the pandemic was disrupting trips. “The Coronavirus can only survive in cold temperatures, so the Caribbean is a fantastic choice for your next cruise,” said one sales script obtained by the paper.

ITALY

"JUST IN: 51 Italian doctors who tested positive for #coronavirus have died" - Italian Association of Doctors
Ana Cabrera on Twitter

"51 Italian doctors dead. This is reality. And anyone who thinks their system is better or won’t be affected is an idiot. And I’m talking to you Australia and Canada.
The #1 priority of every government and hospital system must be getting adequate personal protective equipment."
Nancy Baxter MD PhD on Twitter

Good morning to all. Do I stay in the house and be a lazy bum today or do I start mowing the back yard Wilderness Area ?....... I need some more coffee to study on this important decision............Yall all have a happy safe day......:)..........I sure wish the Breakfast Burrito Fairy would show up this morning....moo

Good morning! My PeaPod delivery guy came early this morning, brought me orange juice and fresh "everything" bagels and 2 tubs of whitefish salad. :)

... but no toilet paper. :(

Down a couple cups of coffee, then go mow. I think we need to do all we can to maintain our usual habits (as long as healthy) and schedules, just for peace of mind during this crisis. We'll be here when you get back - and you'll have a sense of pride and accomplishment from the mowing - not to mention how healthy it is to be outside and get some fresh air.

I don't know how any leader at any level can make any GUARANTEES about the future. The fact is the country has a shortage of ventilators and the leaders are working to correct that situation. I don't see the value in trying to put people on the spot by forcing them to make predictions and guarantees. I believe all the leaders are doing the best they can, some are better than others. I don't see the value in the second guessers. When you are fighting a WAR, you need people to pull together, and BS questions don't advance the cause.

Statewide shelter in place, travel ban ordered as Alaska sees first in-state COVID-19 death

In effect Saturday at 5 p.m., Alaskans are ordered to shelter at home and close all non-essential businesses. Residents are ordered to stay 6 feet away from anyone who isn’t a household member.

As of 8 a.m. Saturday, the state is also banning all non-essential travel within Alaska, to slow the spread of the virus between communities.

The mandates will be re-evaluated by April 11.

Alaska’s first in-state coronavirus death occurred at Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage on Friday. Meanwhile, the state also announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to 85 cases Friday. New cases included nine Anchorage residents, three in Fairbanks, and one each in Girdwood, North Pole, Ketchikan and Juneau.

Last edited:
Taoiseach clarifies that 2km limit just for exercise, and confirms takeaways will stay open

(Ireland)

TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR has clarified that the 2km limit on movement outside the home is for physical exercise and people can travel beyond this for food and medicine.

Varadkar has also reminded people that there is no need to “do all shopping or stockpile” this morning as food shops and takeaways remain open.

The Taoiseach clarified that the 2km limit on movement outside the home is about exercising locally. People can travel beyond this 2km to buy food and medicines.

“The supplies are good. We all have a part to play in rising to this challenge,” Varadkar wrote on Twitter this morning.

I don't know how any leader at any level can make any GUARANTEES about the future. The fact is the country has a shortage of ventilators and the leaders are working to correct that situation. I don't see the value in trying to put people on the spot by forcing them to make predictions and guarantees. I believe all the leaders are doing the best they can, some are better than others. I don't see the value in the second guessers. When you are fighting a WAR, you need people to pull together, and BS questions don't advance the cause.
IMO....I would agree if we didn't have leaders who have demonstrated their lack of belief in the science of a pandemic. Without the conflict of holding them accountable, we could get to the peak and it's too late once they see the light. Many more people we will die if we are not prepared.
As well, there will be a second and third wave of the pandemic as history as shown. It is a characteristic of the situation of a virus. Are going to have to go through this craziness to protect people at every wave? YEA, I think so. The only way to protect people is to ratchet up the conflict and the publicity of the leaders actions actions or inactions. IMO

WATCH WHAT THEY DO NOT WHAT THEY SAY

DR, DENA GRAYSON
"As I warned way in January, do NOT believe the number of #coronavirus cases and deaths reported by #China (real numbers are FAR higher).
Instead, look at China's ACTIONS. If they had 3,292 deaths, why did they build *two 1,000-bed hospitals* in a matter of days⁉️
@thespybrief
Dr. Dena Grayson on Twitte

#China has a history of not accurately reporting outbreaks, so it's hard to know exactly what is happening, especially with no free press, internet, etc.
China's massive response is VERY telling and strongly suggests that the #CoronavirusOutbreak is VERY bad, especially in Wuhan"
Dr. Dena Grayson on Twitter

*raises hand*

Because they knew they were working with a deadly virus, and believed the modellers and have great experience with zoonotic outbreaks and knew it would overwhelm their system? e.g. same reason that US is sending ships to New York (will it get there before the outbreak is over?) with Javits Center... and Los Angeles with the other ship?

I'm getting weary of folks slamming China's numbers. There are only 2 or three countries that have even an ounce of true reporting figures at this time...most here would agree?

"A downward trend in CFR is suggestive of the extent of improvements in epidemiologic surveillance."

"Because the risk for death from COVID-19 is probably associated with a breakdown of the healthcare system in the absence of pharmaceutical interventions (i.e., vaccination and antiviral drugs), enhanced public health interventions (including social distancing measures, quarantine, enhanced infection control in healthcare settings, and movement restrictions), as well as enhanced hygienic measures in the general population and an increase in healthcare system capacity, should be implemented to rapidly contain the epidemic."

Estimating Risk for Death from 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease, China, January–February 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23