Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very, very important IMO, which is why I brought it forward.

It really is. I wouldn’t dare enter a supermarket right now. Fortunately I don’t have to thanks to you and many others on the first thread, who gave advice on items to stock up on.
I was just talking to a friend who is very concerned for her son working in a supermarket right now.

Volunteers across the US have formed sewing groups to make as many masks as they can for hospitals in need of more supplies. Peopleare sewing coronavirus masks for hospitals facing dire shortage - CNN
CNN on Twitter

Our community has a small specialty sewing business. They are now making mask to be used over N95 and at our nursing homes. Our NH have been put of mask for weeks.

A small T-shirt company closed and laid off last week. This week reopening to make disposable hospital gowns. They drove out of state to purchase and pick up the material.

Our community college has 2 3D printers. They are able to make the top piece of the face shields. They then attached the clear face shield. These were tested last week and passed QA controls. It takes 4 hours per headpiece. They will go to our local hospital.

The local Lowes home improvement made plastic shield for all the check outs, on their own time in home workshops.

Meals deliveries daily on bus routes to children.

Local dentists have donated mask, gloves and gowns.

Groups springing up to provide hand lotions, snacks for hospital, EMTs and LE, who are working relentlessly.

A local charity is paying 100% of day care cost for all LE, medical and EMS personnel.

Everyday public safety is posting. Our Board of Supervisors are trying to secure drive by testing and paying for out of county funds.

We seem to be organizing as a community. We have a fabulous director of Emergency Management. I am shocked at the out pouring from my little bitty town, who was hit by major factories closing under NAFTA.

I think many communities in SW Virginia realize, we are on our own. We've received 6 masks total from 2 large shipment to VA from the federal stockpile. We have almost no test kits and the private labs are taking 7 to 10 days for outpatient. The Governor refuses to tell where the supplies went.

Yesterday's presser we did find out Virginia has less than 2000 ventilators total!!! You should have seen the look on the Governors face when the Director of Health finally gave out the number after repeated request from the press. He immediately closed the presser.

I did leave a message for my PSDirector to put out a call for any unused home ventilators and bipap machines. We got hundreds of bipaps I know from working in health care, with medical companies and sleep labs. I know of some unused home vents as well.

We will have to prepare as communities, as state and federal resources are depleted faster than manufacturing can produce. By the time small communities are in crisis, nothing will be left.

Look to your community resources. What is your local city or county doing? Look for local groups that we may can help. Many groups are taking donations for snacks, drinks, hand lotion for police and EMTs. Please, give if you can.

Its our friends, neighbors, local hospitals, local EMS that's going to get us through this.

I'm feeling more hopeful today, than I've felt in weeks.

Moo....

I wonder where the safest place on the planet is right now. I would have guessed a place like Iceland or Alaska, where it is cold and remote.
Surprising perhaps, but some believe the safest place right now is the UAE..

UAE safest place on planet during Covid-19 pandemic, says Hollywood star Steve Harvey
March 20, 2020
''A Hollywood star is making headlines in the UAE for praising the country for its preparedness to deal with the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak in the region.

Talking on his Morning Show, comedian and host Steve Harvey said that he believed that the safest country in the world during the coronavirus pandemic is the UAE.''

''The radio host commended the country's testing and proactive response to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the country.

"They conducted more coronavirus testing, they have the lowest death rate and lowest infection. They jumped on this thing right away. It has a lot of to do with leadership over there because they love they are serious; they love their people and they do everything to protect and keep their people safe," he added.''

"NEW: CDC guidance on masks expected to change in next 10 days. Americans will be advised to wear masks in everyday life. Current recommendation is for high-risk groups only."
Matt McCarthy on Twitter

"This "you don't need masks" was problematic messaging from CDC in January, February and March when we saw citizens from nearly every Asian country completely masked up, in public places and in sometimes fined for not wearing."
COVID19 on Twitter

Well, I am good then when summer hits. My place has been very humid without any humidifiers.

I have one left to clean & store til next winter. It is already humid enough in KY to stop using them.
Next winter, they will once again become my friends, lol.
Cleaning them puts me in a bad mood, but I do them daily, too risky to not.

That's some good news if it's every 4 days now, right? Yesterday it was doubling every 3 days, IIRC. And not long ago US was on track to double every 2 days. I hope it means we are slowing down and flattening the curve, but I still worry the US took action way too late. Can we still stop the tsunami?

MOO.

Oh Gardener, IMO the numbers are not good news at all and we are not even CLOSE to flattening the curve. I expect these numbers to rise, rise, for a long time, weeks, if not months JMO. As you said, we very late to take action.

See imo, the higher the cases, the more the multiplication, whatever that daily rate may be. Some initial projections put the doubling rate at 6 days. Again these are just models. I take every prediction chart with a grain of salt because there are so many factors as to what affects numbers. My point is the models have actually gotten worse. Imo.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that whatever the doubling rates show, we are no where near flattening the curve. We are just getting started. IMO. There is no good news here.

IANADoctor. This is just my personal opinion.

The fact that we have gotten to these numbers in the first place says a lot. We passed Asian countries and African nations and third world countries. Add the R0 factors, and other things and...

I went off on a long rant about this yesterday so trying to keep it short.

Yeah don’t start celebrating the flattening of the curve yet, moo. This is just the tip of the iceberg, imo.

Not only this, it appears we may have several epicenters growing, unlike China which was mostly Hubei, some in Guangdong, etc. (I love typing that by the way, “Guangdong”).

Last edited:
Our community has a small specialty sewing business. They are now making mask to be used over N95 and at our nursing homes. Our NH have been put of mask for weeks.

A small T-shirt company closed and laid off last week. This week reopening to make disposable hospital gowns. They drove out of state to purchase and pick up the material.

Our community college has 2 3D printers. They are able to make the top piece of the face shields. They then attached the clear face shield. These were tested last week and passed QA controls. It takes 4 hours per headpiece. They will go to our local hospital.

The local Lowes home improvement made plastic shield for all the check outs, on their own time in home workshops.

Meals deliveries daily on bus routes to children.

Local dentists have donated mask, gloves and gowns.

Groups springing up to provide hand lotions, snacks for hospital, EMTs and LE, who are working relentlessly.

A local charity is paying 100% of day care cost for all LE, medical and EMS personnel.

Everyday public safety is posting. Our Board of Supervisors are trying to secure drive by testing and paying for out of county funds.

We seem to be organizing as a community. We have a fabulous director of Emergency Management. I am shocked at the out pouring from my little bitty town, who was hit by major factories closing under NAFTA.

I think many communities in SW Virginia realize, we are on our own. We've received 6 masks total from 2 large shipment to VA from the federal stockpile. We have almost no test kits and the private labs are taking 7 to 10 days for outpatient. The Governor refuses to tell where the supplies went.

Yesterday's presser we did find out Virginia has less than 2000 ventilators total!!! You should have seen the look on the Governors face when the Director of Health finally gave out the number after repeated request from the press. He immediately closed the presser.

I did leave a message for my PSDirector to put out a call for any unused home ventilators and bipap machines. We got hundreds of bipaps I know from working in health care, with medical companies and sleep labs. I know of some unused home vents as well.

We will have to prepare as communities, as state and federal resources are depleted faster than manufacturing can produce. By the time small communities are in crisis, nothing will be left.

Look to your community resources. What is your local city or county doing? Look for local groups that we may can help. Many groups are taking donations for snacks, drinks, hand lotion for police and EMTs. Please, give if you can.

Its our friends, neighbors, local hospitals, local EMS that's going to get us through this.

I'm feeling more hopeful today, than I've felt in weeks.

Moo....

Exactly what I've been saying! Start your efforts local and branch out! We can find so much locally if we really hunt for it. Jmo

Imo when we see the positive/negative results for each state or, even county, many people are led to believe Covid is not as serious as reported. When I compare the two, I find myself wondering how so many negative are able to get tested, considering the lack of tests & the criteria needed for testing. Anyone else?

Hi everyone.

Another thanks from me for this thread and all the information.

I got out of the shower this morning to find two people in my driveway speaking to my high-risk husband. Without getting into it too much--one of the people should have known better (my husbands adult daughter) The other was a complete stranger to us (friend of the daughter). I told myself to take a deep breath. I finished getting ready for the day. They were still here. So, I went outside--at a very long distance, said hello, and asked them what they weren't understanding about staying home and social distancing. They said they were talking far apart (they were not far enough apart). I gave them my stern look and reminded daughter that her dad is high risk and daughter threw her hands in the air and said "I know! we're leaving we're leaving". I'm sure I'm even more of the wicked step mother than ever.

ARRRRGH. I felt like I was living on another planet. Why why why come here??? So selfish and thoughtless :(

Thanks for letting me vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member