Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably true but take it from a former smoker ( I quit 15 years ago), I was diagnosed with COPD several years after quitting. My lungs were already damaged. Not all smokers get COPD but many do not know they have COPD until years after they quit. Of course it is a good time to quit since this virus is a respiratory illness, but I can't see how this will be effective in slowing the spread of the virus.
I think the idea behind it is that if a smoker is afflicted with the virus, the odds of them requiring a ventilator go down after quitting for a period of time.

I’m not saying I agree with it, just pointing out the apparent logic behind it.

She was definitely on WS yesterday - I think she was on the Gannon Stauch thread.

Poor @gitana1 , bless her heart...she’s probably taking a sanity break like we all should remember to do. Hopefully she is getting some R and R.

Sadly, LA County wasn’t doing so hot last time I looked...

Lemme check now:

Mapping Los Angeles County’s Coronavirus Cases
Updated on March 27, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Here's a look at where the most coronavirus cases are reported in LA County

LA COUNTY
Total cases: 1,465
Total deaths: 26

Updated Mar. 26, 2020 at 12 p.m.
Mapping Los Angeles County’s Coronavirus Cases

Last edited:
L.A. County releases 1,700 inmates from jail early to prevent coronavirus outbreak behind bars – Daily Breeze

Los Angeles County’s jails are emptying fast as sheriff’s department officials try to limit the possibility of a disastrous outbreak of coronavirus behind bars.

For almost two weeks, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said he was looking for as many inmates as possible to safely release. On Tuesday, he said the number so far was 1,700 inmates, or about 10% of the county’s entire jail population.
He said he was still concerned about potentially bringing in an inmate with the virus undetected — to limit that from happening, he’s asked his own deputies and officers from municipal police agencies to make fewer arrests. Villanueva said he said he’s working with L.A. County’s Superior Court and the district attorney’s office to delay certain criminal proceedings.
I cannot say enough...what a bad idea I think this is. I know no one is asking me, but .....yikes!

BALI....PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.......

Denpasar, Indonesia - Authorities in Bali will allow tens of thousands of people to attend Hindu ceremonies for the island’s new year,
or Nyepi, celebrations this week in contravention of Indonesian government calls for social distancing, in a move that experts fear will fuel a dangerous increase in cases of COVID-19.

Thousands of foreigners who cannot or do not want to fly home are also having to queue for hours in crowded buildings to renew their visas, creating another potential virus risk on an island that has no testing facilities.

Fears Bali will emerge as Indonesia's coronavirus hotspot

One of Canada's northern territories, Nunavut is so far Covid-19 free. The other 2 territories have small numbers Yukon has 1 and Northwest has 4.

Nunavut - Wikipedia

Found an article written yesterday about the current situation there:

The virus has surfaced in each of the 10 provinces and two of its three territories — except for Nunavut. The territory may be living proof that social distancing works.

Canada’s Nunavut: Socially distanced, it’s one of the last places on Earth without coronavirus

I heard a lot of the aides (forgive me for not knowing title) to the nurses have quit showing up at local nursing homes. Many are staffed by LPNs with a habit of sho I gotta their work load off to the aides, so they always had openings.
A friend’s daughter walked off her NA job last week, she was ordered to provide a service she was never trained nor legally certified to do. She’s in nursing school & would like to live long enough to finish.

I am not surprised at all. I have witnessed some things that I questioned. Your friend's daughter did the right thing. The turnover rate is unreal and I really don't blame the workers. I could not do their job and if I had one, I would be fired after 15 minutes.

Ha! I’m sure that’s the last thing some people need. Quitting is hard enough, and mentally, this might not be the most opportune time.
I quit drinking and chasing friendly ladies back in 1983......... I sure would hate to give up my only fun vice, smoking, that keeps me from "growing a halo around my head".......:(......moo

She was raised by a single father, four daughters, all RNs!
She’s the baby and does not need the paltry income she made. I can’t recall what it was a nurse tried to “make” her do but it is a procedure that NAs are not allowed to do.
I am not surprised at all. I have witnessed some things that I questioned. Your friend's daughter did the right thing. The turnover rate is unreal and I really don't blame the workers. I could not do their job and if I had one, I would be fired after 15 minutes.

Hmmm...

Nicotine is as/more addictive than heroin.

Marking to read this full article before commenting further.

I notice that the article specifically references combustible cigarettes, not vapes. I find that interesting as vaping has been shown time and time again to cause very rapid lung failure and people as young as teenagers needing lung transplants.

I have smoked cigarettes for almost 20 years and i will say that a ban on cigarette sales is a terrible idea. Very bad. I know if my state did this, the run to buy cigarettes would be insane and since i live close to the border, I'm sure a lot of people would cross the border to buy where they are not banned. I feel like this could incite violence if supplies are limited and the person in line in front of you buys 10 or 20 cartons leaving none for anyone else.

And I am pointing out that on Hannity, IIRC Thursday night, he said we didn't need as many ventilators as Cuomo et al are asking for.

And on Saturday morning he said "if we don't need" ventilators we can send them to UK and some EU countries.

I still don't understand your point. A reporter at the Saturday afternoon press briefing asked Trump about previous comments about numbers needed and Trump provided an explanation that made sense to me.

I also hope the high number will not be needed.

JMO

I thought so too, until I read this in the article:

Former smokers recover 30% of their lung function just two weeks after quitting.

“Any ex-smoker can tell you how, just days after quitting, they were noticeably less out of breath after walking up a flight of stairs. Personally, I have heard hundreds of these stories,” he writes in draft remarks.
That's only if the smokers actually quit smoking. Banning the sale of cigarettes in a single state is no guaranty that most smokers will quit.

Maybe if Cuomo gives nicotine patches or some other cessation aid to these smokers first it may get more to quit. Implementing that aid would surely slow the whole thing down though. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member