Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero Waste Toilet Paper - Going Zero Waste

Not really considering this yet, but I did use cloth diapers with the Little Laughings.

I also have a fabric stash, so considering zig-zig stitching the edge of some of the scraps from cutting out cloth face masks. Just in case.

I'm an old woman, no need for monthly items. Aging is not for sissies, but that's sure a benefit!!!

Best, Laughing

Many people in the world use NO TP. They use a bowl of water and their left hand. Eat and shake with the right hand. Just scoop the water from the bowl to clean oneself. Then, they wash their hands with a separate bowl of water for hand washing. Google it.

They must have laughed their socks off at the North Americans hoarding TP.

I have read about the 'cloth' but I have read that even in hot water, you cannot keep it hygienic enough to prevent infections, long term. Perhaps babies have less dangerous bacterias in their faeces.

Many people in the world use NO TP. They use a bowl of water and their left hand. Eat and shake with the right hand. Just scoop the water from the bowl to clean oneself. Then, they wash their hands with a separate bowl of water for hand washing. Google it.

I have read about the 'cloth' but I have read that even in hot water, you cannot keep it hygienic enough to prevent infections, long term. Perhaps babies have less dangerous bacterias in their faeces.

I had my DD back in the late 70's, and used cloth diapers. Disposables simply were not in the budget.

Cloth is a lot of work. You need a diaper pail, filled with soap and light bleach mix. Wet diapers go straight in; soiled, remove the solids into the toilet, then into the diaper pail. Every 2-3 days, lug the pail into the laundry, dump it all into the washer. Spin out the water. Wash on hot, with soap and bleach, extra rinse. When possible, hang on the line in the sun.

This was back when diapers were made of cotton. I don't know how mums sanitize microfiber and other fabrics.

I went to the market again this morning when they opened at 6:00 am. Not a single person waiting in line to get in. There was plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. The only shelves that were empty were the disinfecting wipes and the hand sanitizer area. It felt good to be able to shop normally. This is our third weekend of staying home so it looks like people have finally stopped hoarding food and paper products. I better knock on wood after writing that. ;)

There is a middle ground for us now in this crisis. Use tp only for bowel movements. There are a variety of workable ways to clean yourself after urinating, that don't require tp.

I raised two kids on cloth diapers in the late 1990s. If we were traveling I’d use disposable ones. I’m fairly certain my fabric stash has enough to make disposable “toilet cloths” if need be too!

I would call the public health department with your situation. I think they can help you.

Are you on medicare? They might help you get transportation, like an uber ride, to get your meds and possibly your groceries too. They helped my neighbour when she broke her hip.

They will get a social worker involved if need be, to help you set this up.

My medicare just kicked in March 1 2020.
I read everything so I am fresh on what medicare can or supposed to do for you whether disabled or retired. Or at least I know where to find what I need to know.
There is a medicare nurse line. They can advise you on meds.
They can find you a social worker or fill some of social duties other ways.
I know it is overwelming with things being what they are and how they are, dig deep and know you CAN do this.
To find this info and more
log on to my.medicare.gov if you already an account setup.

If you dont have an online account yet it us easy to set one up.
Go to medicare.gov.

If you have an advantage plan rather than pure medicare, then create an online account, if you dont already have one for your advantage plan selected insurer. Your insurer card will have their web site on the card.

They have current virus info.
I get emails all the time regarding what to do if you are high risk with todays issues.

You can get even more info from the all the publications on the website.

You can get Uber or Lyft to drive you. Find them online. They have to be cautious they are taking same risk as you. If you are both careful this can work.

Sending prayers for you for guidance, flexibility and open mindedness so that you can help your self in times of crisis. I pray to lift your spirit like only He can. I pray this in Jesus' precious name.
Amen

Mine has two zones - red /54 and white/46 - red must be better? Wouldn’t want to freeze them

Yes - red wine setting! (Although, I know that Russians and Eastern Europeans store them at 45 degrees in the winter, sometimes a bit less - but never at freezing).

Onions just have to fend for themselves at our house. They are not essential vegetables.

Garlic, OTOH...

My medicare just kicked in March 1 2020.
I read everything so I am fresh on what medicare can or supposed to do for you whether disabled or retired. Or at least I know where to find what I need to know.
There is a medicare nurse line. They can advise you on meds.
They can find you a social worker or fill some of social duties other ways.
I know it is overwelming with things being what they are and how they are, dig deep and know you CAN do this.
To find this info and more
log on to my.medicare.gov if you already an account setup.

If you dont have an online account yet it us easy to set one up.
Go to medicare.gov.

If you have an advantage plan rather than pure medicare, then create an online account, if you dont already have one for your advantage plan selected insurer. Your insurer card will have their web site on the card.

They have current virus info.
I get emails all the time regarding what to do if you are high risk with todays issues.

You can get even more info from the all the publications on the website.

You can get Uber or Lyft to drive you. Find them online. They have to be cautious they are taking same risk as you. If you are both careful this can work.

Sending prayers for you for guidance, flexibility and open mindedness so that you can help your self in times of crisis. I pray to lift your spirit like only He can. I pray this in Jesus' precious name.
Amen

Thank you for this. Still working, but considering retirement. The college made an agreement with us 30 years ago - that we would keep the regular insurance lifelong. They are about to take that from us. We and our spouses will all go to Medicare (right now, they're going to give us 3 years past retirement, then the ax).

I think you can make hootch out of potatoes. So being in your wine fridge is a good place for them. Cold hootch when you want to switch to something a bit more explosive! It could make you blind, so one needs to be careful. But with everyone having to stay in, and retailers running short on many things, including onions, potatoes and real wine, it’s good to know some basic things. Making bread, for example. Potato bread, especially, bc you can be especially frugal and use the potato skins and yeast for other food groups. Namely, to flavor 6-8 glasses of water or water substitute a day. Just start out slow if you’re not used to drinking so much flavored water.

Hahah! Yes - you can make vodka from potatoes. But oh, the glorious potato! My husband makes the BEST home fries. Ever. But only likes to use Yukon Gold.

We scored 10 lbs of those potatoes today on Instacart.

Other shopping news:

I am in SoCal. I put my order in 10 days ago. Today was the first available instacart slot. We did NOT get:

ground beef or any beef at all

beef bouillon

cheddar cheese (still have some frozen, something I learned from my MiL - great for grilled cheese)

No eggs (a tragedy)

No good cheddar (sigh, but I have quite a bit of less good cheddar in freezer)

spinach

any kind of regular yogurt that I would normally buy (we'll see whether I like what I got)

paper towels, toilet paper (of course)

Lysol in any form
-----------
After 3 weeks without the following we were happen to score:

Frozen potatoes!
Sherbet!
Ketchup!
Swiffer wet mop refills (store brand)
SOYRIZO.
Bread for the grandbaby
------------------

We try not to eat mammals (we're flexitarians though). We do like hamburgers a lot. It looks like our supply will have to last 2 months, so now that's a coveted item. My DH can't eat regular wheat (inosotil sensitivity which is what a lot of kids have and lots of adults too - not gluten, a separate protein in wheat). I have yeast, legacy wheat from France, and buckwheat.
--------------

We are not going to starve. Don't know if they delivered poppy seeds but there are no locally baked goods, no scones, muffins, donuts, nothing comforting like that. I did get some Talenti southern pecan gelato. I feel like Lord of the Rings.

This is really not the best method, even looking cross-culturally. It's pretty horrifying to most of us.

Keep a squirt bottle or something similar, wash yourself, step into the shower (surely we all have showers?) and rinse off. Do NOT use your hand. The amount of CV19 in your feces that now is on your hand is tremendous plus you get good doses of all kinds of other things (particularly e. coli)

If you live someplace where there are water restrictions (like I do), it's still an adjustment. But unless you are willing to sterilize those bowls, Oy. Everyone I know who did this while in countries with this practice (I can only think of two off hand) regretted it.

SQUIRT water (don't use your hands). Put 1 drop of bleach per 1 quart of water used if you are going to use a bowl. Again, sterilize that bowl each and every time.

If you look at nations that use that method - well, they have all kinds of fecally transmitted diseases (because fecal bacterium, let's face it, can survive a lot - even your frickin digestive system).

Surely everyone has an empty spray bottle? Mix some water with iodine or bleach (1 drop per quart please) and do that. And then step into your shower for 1 minute. Shower caps exist for a reason but who cares about hair right now. We have a handheld shower (as does most of Europe) and we practice European methods of hygiene - not Indian/Pakistani ones.

Babies do have less dangerous bacterium in their feces - but just give them a year or so. And it's still not safe to have baby feces around.

Some cultures use specially designed pitchers (an invention of 10,000 years ago - so seriously, don't do the hand method!) Any spouted vessel will work (can use on the toilet or in the bathtub or shower - but you need to disinfect all of those places in any case).

Thank you for this. Still working, but considering retirement. The college made an agreement with us 30 years ago - that we would keep the regular insurance lifelong. They are about to take that from us. We and our spouses will all go to Medicare (right now, they're going to give us 3 years past retirement, then the ax).
Good luck and stay safe. Medicare benefits are not simple. If you read through focusing on what need to know right now, you will be able to find other things as you need them going forward. Its basic reading comprehention and rearch skills.
D.

Paper Towel Masks

Just poking my head in here, so forgive me if this tip has already been shared:

I would try this with a full sheet from a sturdy paper towel, like Bounty.

Thanks for all your amazing info! Websleuthers rock! I will continue to pounce around these threads and soak up all the facinating knowledge.

Stay safe, my friends.

I seemingly survived my outings with little to no issues and shouldn’t have to go back “out” for at least 2 more weeks if I want fresh food again.
Farrier was interesting but kept our spaces and there was no coughing or sneezing and I mainly talk to his *advertiser censored* as he’s bent over trimming hooves.

grocery store one had a line outside around the front of the building, limiting access and sanitizing carts before you went into store. Did a slow drive by. People were in line with carts prior to sanitization so I’m not quite sure how they thought that was working. Armed guard at entrance. This is the big store, swung by after picking up our amazing takeout from my favorite small restaurant. Opted to wait and go to small store with understanding they may not have much.

Small store was its usual Sat afternoon quiet. They even had individual wrapped toilet paper rolls for sale. You could only buy 2 but at least it’s something. I didn’t need any. Meat selection was fine, none of the kielbasa I buy for sauerkraut soup and the frozen veggies were pretty much gone but they seemed to have everything else. I bought enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next two weeks supplemented with the pantry. Brought some chlorox wipes with me in zip lock bag so I was able to wipe down cart and hold it when I opened doors and such. Wiped down cc machine before I used it and wiped down my card.
Only troubling thing was a small child with her finger so far up her nose I couldn’t see it, hanging out in the produce section. Her dad was oblivious and on the phone. I didn’t see her touch anything but gross. No coughing or sneezing that I noticed anywhere. Baggers wore gloves. DH waited in car.

have to get gas tomorrow and will follow my one glove protocol before heading into work quick. Swinging by a friend to drop off duck eggs, will leave them on his porch. My girls are laying like crazy and no one wants to buy them so I give them to a friend who gives them away to church members. I easily have 36 dozen eggs to give away. Even giving away some goose eggs. Going to keep a few but I cant eat all that we have.

So...why the shortages? At the beginning it was because of all the panic buying but well its been a couple of weeks and it seems like the shortages are sort of sticking around...so are we not producing enough food or is it a distribution problem, not enough distribution or what? I did not participate in the panic buying cuz this forum, bought my stuff slowly over the past couple months...with the idea if I had to hunker down because of a quarantine, we'd be ok, but now, well it seems like something scarier is going on. But then I am an easily spooked horse. I guess I can handle doing all I can about the disease but still ending up with it, but I really am not interested in a Mad Max world, I like civilization actually, oh not that it couldn't use some serious changes but it'd be nicer if we sort of rolled them in slowly? Anyways.

I received my Peapod order this morning and received everything on my list except toilet paper.
I was surprised to receive the family pack of chicken breasts and ground chicken.

Zero Waste Toilet Paper - Going Zero Waste

Not really considering this yet, but I did use cloth diapers with the Little Laughings.

I also have a fabric stash, so considering zig-zig stitching the edge of some of the scraps from cutting out cloth face masks. Just in case.

I'm an old woman, no need for monthly items. Aging is not for sissies, but that's sure a benefit!!!

Best, Laughing

This is really not the best method, even looking cross-culturally. It's pretty horrifying to most of us.

Keep a squirt bottle or something similar, wash yourself, step into the shower (surely we all have showers?) and rinse off. Do NOT use your hand. The amount of CV19 in your feces that now is on your hand is tremendous plus you get good doses of all kinds of other things (particularly e. coli)

If you live someplace where there are water restrictions (like I do), it's still an adjustment. But unless you are willing to sterilize those bowls, Oy. Everyone I know who did this while in countries with this practice (I can only think of two off hand) regretted it.

SQUIRT water (don't use your hands). Put 1 drop of bleach per 1 quart of water used if you are going to use a bowl. Again, sterilize that bowl each and every time.

If you look at nations that use that method - well, they have all kinds of fecally transmitted diseases (because fecal bacterium, let's face it, can survive a lot - even your frickin digestive system).

Surely everyone has an empty spray bottle? Mix some water with iodine or bleach (1 drop per quart please) and do that. And then step into your shower for 1 minute. Shower caps exist for a reason but who cares about hair right now. We have a handheld shower (as does most of Europe) and we practice European methods of hygiene - not Indian/Pakistani ones.

Babies do have less dangerous bacterium in their feces - but just give them a year or so. And it's still not safe to have baby feces around.

Some cultures use specially designed pitchers (an invention of 10,000 years ago - so seriously, don't do the hand method!) Any spouted vessel will work (can use on the toilet or in the bathtub or shower - but you need to disinfect all of those places in any case).

I think you misunderstood me. They do NOT touch the poop, they use their left hand to splash the water onto their bottoms until they are satisfied that its clean.

Because they use the left hand for their bottom cleansing, they eat with their right hand etc.

They ALWAYS wash their hands after cleaning their bottoms but with another water source, sometimes a bowl, sometimes a tap of running water.

No one was suggesting that one should get faecal bacterium all over their hands. No, never.

Many countries do not use toilet paper, they see it as dirty, simply rubbing the faeces around without bathing each time.

Different ways, that's all.

Hahah! Yes - you can make vodka from potatoes. But oh, the glorious potato! My husband makes the BEST home fries. Ever. But only likes to use Yukon Gold.

We scored 10 lbs of those potatoes today on Instacart.

Other shopping news:

I am in SoCal. I put my order in 10 days ago. Today was the first available instacart slot. We did NOT get:

ground beef or any beef at all

beef bouillon

cheddar cheese (still have some frozen, something I learned from my MiL - great for grilled cheese)

No eggs (a tragedy)

No good cheddar (sigh, but I have quite a bit of less good cheddar in freezer)

spinach

any kind of regular yogurt that I would normally buy (we'll see whether I like what I got)

paper towels, toilet paper (of course)

Lysol in any form
-----------
After 3 weeks without the following we were happen to score:

Frozen potatoes!
Sherbet!
Ketchup!
Swiffer wet mop refills (store brand)
SOYRIZO.
Bread for the grandbaby
------------------

We try not to eat mammals (we're flexitarians though). We do like hamburgers a lot. It looks like our supply will have to last 2 months, so now that's a coveted item. My DH can't eat regular wheat (inosotil sensitivity which is what a lot of kids have and lots of adults too - not gluten, a separate protein in wheat). I have yeast, legacy wheat from France, and buckwheat.
--------------

We are not going to starve. Don't know if they delivered poppy seeds but there are no locally baked goods, no scones, muffins, donuts, nothing comforting like that. I did get some Talenti southern pecan gelato. I feel like Lord of the Rings.

Goodness. Had no idea you all were missing all these things that I just take for granted. My grocery stores have all of that and more...
Thankyou, God for Your blessings. Wonder if I could ship some stuff to you from Texas?

I never bought any toilet paper, because we had bought some at Costco a few weeks before the CV19.

But I am more "thoughtful" now, about something I never considered a "luxury" item. How many squares am I using? Do I need that many?

Random thoughts that I never, ever even considered pre CV19!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa