Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese markets are still selling bats | Daily Mail Online

The Chinese are back at it: wet markets which caused the pandemic in the first place. grrrrrrr
Oh my god. I shouldn’t have looked at the pictures, but ignoring the suffering of terrified rabbits, dogs, cats crammed on top of each other in filthy cages waiting to be tortured to death doesn’t make it not happen. The more pain the animal is in when it dies, the better. How is this still continuing? And eating bats is all good again? Livid.

"The argument that harsh restrictions on business and social interaction during the Covid-19 pandemic will do more harm than good has real power. Unemployment is projected to rise to 30 percent in a few months, and an economic contraction in the second quarter of 15 percent or more has been forecast."

Yet it is likely that one million Americans currently are infected with coronavirus, and if that number doubles every six days, 100 million Americans will have Covid-19 by the early May. If 1 percent of those infected die, there would still be a million deaths. That’s the equivalent of what 10 Hiroshima bombs would do, or nearly double the number of annual cancer deaths.

Many of the people infected are 70 and older, and it might be possible to make extra efforts to shelter and protect them. But without shelter-in-place rules, we could expect almost 400,000 people under 70 to die, with about 135,000 between the ages of 30 and 59.

Stop the virus. A nationwide shelter-in-place or quarantine should take place for the next eight to 10 weeks.

More at link....

Opinion | We Can Safely Restart the Economy in June. Here’s How.

Governor Cuomo would like to control the nation’s entire stockpile of 20,000 ventilators. He wants to have them sitting in his warehouse, to dole out only when NY no longer has a need for them. :rolleyes: I’m glad that seems to have been nipped in the bud. MOO
Looks like he wants 30,000 ventilators pretty soon. I'm not sure if that's possible.
Patients in intensive care require expensive ventilators – and Cuomo said he is seeking to procure 30,000 ventilators for when the disease hits its apex between two and three weeks from now. He said the state would also need 140,000 hospital beds.

Cuomo Opposes Trump’s Proposal for Quarantine of NYC Area

He didn't say anything remotely like that on the presser yesterday. He said that the ventilators are still in Fed inventory and as they need them, they will draw them out. Clearly NY is going to go through the peak first. The country needs to work together to manage the resources across the country.
He said it a few days ago. His tune has changed. Like I said, it was nipped in the bud in my opinion.

No, that is too broad to say.
But, New York has big problems, much like Wuhan in my opinion.
Sad to say, but it's the truth.
They need to completely lock down in order to eradicate this virus.
The USA is here for them, however, they cannot be running around the USA.
This is absolutely my opinion.

Do you really believe that the infection rate in other states is directly related to NYC?

That's wonderful. We have a websleuther on this thread that is fostering a dog from an area shelter. That's a wonderful thing. We have 2 dogs (large) and we're taking care of a feral colony of cats. We're watching and learning their personalities, most of the time with a game cam. We've TNR'd 4 of the 8. Operation Catnip is shut down right now to keep everyone safe. So it'll be a while before we can do the others.
I’m fostering two! I also care for several cat colonies, high five up high and down low to you for doing the same!
For anyone interested, fostering a shelter pet costs you nothing. Food and vet bills are paid by the shelter or a volunteer group. All animals are healthy, spayed or neutered and vaccinated.

New York City has such a high infection rate because the average New Yorker comes in contact with exponentially greater numbers of people everyday than in more spread out areas. Living in apartments, crowded streets, public transportation, office buildings - many more touch points than me driving in my car alone from my private house to my private office.

The problem is New York City itself, not the people who live there.

Well now you are familiar with someone who quit cold turkey - me. And yes it was hard.

Same here. It took me several tries, and I wasn't even a heavy smoker. But eventually I stuck with it long enough for the "you've made it this far, you're on a roll, don't break the chain now or you'll have to start counting all over again" psychology to kick in and that mindset worked for me. In July it will be 29 years since I quit.

It would be helpful, if we said where we are reporting from.
Tia
I agree.

I gave an account of my experience grocery shopping in Sacramento California this morning because I've read on this thread about long lines to get in the store,shelves stripped bare and other horror stories.

Those things are not happening in my city so it would be nice for people to not just say "here" when describing what they are experiencing.

JMO

You can’t lock down New York. It will never happen.

I think states should look at themselves and say how can we stop the spread here. The virus is in all 50 states. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Look at the figures and ask yourself, is your state doing rapid testing like NJ or NY? Nope, they are not. I doubt any state in the US is doing even a fraction of the testing we are doing here.

NYC

A senior NYPD official told CNN that 512 NYPD employees had tested positive for coronavirus as of Friday morning, up 161 since Thursday evening. Of them, 442 are uniformed members and 70 are civilian members.

The department says they have been distributing gloves, masks, alcohol wipes and sanitizer to officers to make sure they can safely perform their duties.
Shea has been encouraging officers to stay home if they are sick and to protect themselves from the "silent enemy," according to a letter CNN obtained from a senior NYPD official earlier this week.
"Your health is paramount. If you're sick, stay home and call the Medical Division for guidance," Shea said.

The department says they have been distributing gloves, masks, alcohol wipes and sanitizer to officers to make sure they can safely perform their duties.
Shea has been encouraging officers to stay home if they are sick and to protect themselves from the "silent enemy," according to a letter CNN obtained from a senior NYPD official earlier this week.
"Your health is paramount. If you're sick, stay home and call the Medical Division for guidance," Shea said.

NYPD: At least 11% of workforce called out sick on Friday during the coronavirus outbreak - CNN

Same here. It took me several tries, and I wasn't even a heavy smoker. But eventually I stuck with it long enough for the "you've made it this far, you're on a roll, don't break the chain now or you'll have to start counting all over" psychology to kick in and that mindset worked for me. In July it will be 29 years since I quit.
10 years for me.

It took watching my father slowly suffocate and die from COPD.

New York City has such a high infection rate because the average New Yorker comes in contact with exponentially greater numbers of people everyday than in more spread out areas. Living in apartments, crowded streets, public transportation, office buildings - many more touch points than me driving in my car alone from my private house to my private office.

The problem is New York City itself, not the people who live there.

It’s the same in any big city. Is New York the only city in the US “living in apartments, crowded streets, public transportation, office buildings”?!

We all sat here in January watching the spread from China, to Japan, to South Korea to Italy etc., never thinking it would affect us on home soil. People need to wake up and take this seriously and believe me it will infect every state and every city and spread like wildfire in big cities.

Seriously! Why give ventilators to the state with thousands of people in ICU units when they could be sitting in states with three people positive resting at home?? Where’s the fairness in that. Each state gets an equal number of ventilators like Senators. What we need to care about in a deadly pandemic is equality and feelings not being hurt, not actually saving people’s lives where they’re in the greatest danger of imminent death.
It’s not about equality or hurt feelings IMO.

What we need to care about is that people who need them get them. Governor Cuomo said that they haven’t even touched the state’s stockpile yet. As the states need them, send them out. NY is not the only ill-prepared state in the nation...looking at Louisiana and I’m sure others. IMO

Last edited:
Hopefully the young lady doesn't represent the attitude of all the young people in the country. My granddaughter attends Tulane and went home when the school closed. No Spring Break. She had caught a cold and for a few days her mom was in contact with the doctor to monitor her.

The girl in the video should be ashamed of herself, whether she's looking for attention or is truly a nincompoop. But IMO she and others like her don't truly represent the majority of young people who "get it. At least I hope so.

Do these college kids not know that businesses and employers check SM and other forms of online docs for possible employments? I mean, what are these kids going to do when these videos of them being reckless, careless and disobeying rules causes them not to obtain the position they apply for? I don't know if they posted on their SM of their "fun-filled" Vaca, but going on video trying to explain their "WHYS" of doing it, will ALWAYS be accessible!

Last I heard is that Florida and Rhode Island want people from NY and NJ to self quarantine 14 days before going out and about in their State. Unsure how they are following up and ensuring every one is quarantining. Obviously those states have some free time on their hands.
My guess is that they will access cell phone data and also make visits.

JMO

Who the heck is Andy Slavitt and why is his opinion important ? Is he a member of WS ? Does he "moo" after giving his opinion ? May I post Virus opinions from anyone with a Twitter account ?.............moo
I thought that links to tweets were limited to members of MSM.

I don't think that Andy meets that criteria. I will alert this post to get an answer from admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong