Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
N.Y.C.’s 911 System Is Overwhelmed. ‘I’m Terrified,’ a Paramedic Says.

“With coronavirus cases mounting, emergency workers are making life-or-death decisions about who goes to a hospital, and who is left behind.”

merlin_171030174_09e5dfe2-ae05-4143-80d2-2cb18541904c-articleLarge.jpg

In a matter of days, New York City’s 911 system was overwhelmed by calls for medical distress seemingly related to the coronavirus.Credit...Mark Abramson for The New York Times

[...]

““It’s all a war zone,” one of the paramedics said.

Days later, another paramedic, Phil Suarez, was dispatched to two homes in Manhattan’s Washington Heights neighborhood, where entire families, living in cramped apartments, appeared to be stricken with the virus.

“I’m terrified,” said Mr. Suarez, who has been a paramedic in New York City for 26 years and had assisted in rescue efforts during the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks and later served in the Iraq war. “I honestly don’t know if I’m going to survive. I’m terrified of what I’ve already possibly brought home.””

[...]

“On Thursday, dispatchers took more than 7,000 calls — a volume not seen since the Sept. 11 attacks. The record for amount of calls in a day was broken three times in the last week.

Because of the volume, emergency medical workers are making life-or-death decisions about who is sick enough to take to crowded emergency rooms and who appears well enough to leave behind. They are assessing on scene which patients should receive time-consuming measures like CPR and intubation, and which patients are too far gone to save.

And, they are doing it, in most cases they say, without appropriate equipment to protect themselves from infection.

The paramedics described grim scenes as New York City has become the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States, with more than 30,000 cases as of Saturday, and 672 deaths.”

- much more at link

Last edited:
London, good morning!

We have today a light snow, but nothing really staying on ground. Somehow i like it as less people will go for a walk or think about sitting down in the sun.

Can i order some chipotle chilli for lunch?

Opera star Placido Domingo hospitalised with coronavirus 14 days after first symptoms

The opera singer Placido Domingo was rushed to hospital after his health deteriorated two weeks after first exhibiting signs of coronavirus

Placido Domingo hospitalised with coronavirus 14 days after first symptoms
Mr. Domingo is stable in hospital at the moment.

I hope everyone is coping ok.

#StayHomeSaveLives

Good morning from West Texas, I hope you UK folks and nightowls are all safe and happy. Did yall leave me some nice hot coffee ?..........Thank you and please turn on the TV...........We are still out of do-nuts, I see. Oh well......:)........moo

Good morning from West Texas, I hope you UK folks and nightowls are all safe and happy. Did yall leave me some nice hot coffee ?..........Thank you and please turn on the TV...........We are still out of do-nuts, I see. Oh well......:)........moo
Just done the 2nd cup of coffee here, the cat cuddled on my lap, so me trying to keep still

London, good morning!

We have today a light snow, but nothing really staying on ground. Somehow i like it as less people will go for a walk or think about sitting down in the sun.

Can i order some chipotle chilli for lunch?

Of course you can - coming right up!

The lack of doughnuts may have something to do with me (mmmm doughnuts). Plenty of coffee on offer! I’ll fill a mug for you...

Child Abuse Reports Drop 70% In 1 Month, Leaving Oregon Officials Concerned
March 28, 2020

“Most abuse and neglect reports come from people who are designated as “mandatory reporters,” such as teachers and other staff that are frequently around children in schools, he said. Other mandatory reporters include doctors, dentists and licensed therapists.

“When a child is at school, they’re spending a significant portion of the day with mandatory reporters that are trained and expected to be hyper-aware of the signs of abuse and neglect,” he said. “Kids across Oregon are not in school right now, so they’re missing that time around mandatory reporters.””

- more at link
(Very important article for us WSers)

Rsbm
I personally think this crisis is going to go on until there is a mass produced vaccine.

#StayHomeSaveLives

Jumping off this, Dr. Tedros was talking recently about the importance of making sure that these drugs are safe, and that what might look good in a test tube might not actually be good in a human, and in fact can be harmful. He used the example of this happening during Ebola as a reference.

The good news is The Solidarity Trial has started. I think Doc T says they’re still 12-18 months out on a vaccine. Iirc there are 4 specific trials right now iirc moo? And 46 countries? Iirc moo.

——

ETA:
Coronavirus anti-viral update: 4 treatments included in WHO’s global trial
Posted Mar 28, 2020

“The World Health Organization recently announced a global mega-trial of four coronavirus treatments, titled the “SOLIDARITY trial.”

The effort is designed to quickly gather enough data on the drugs to figure out any side effects and which treatments are most effective. More than 45 countries are involved; the U.S. has not been named as one of the participants.”

Last edited:
Florida coronavirus cases are growing fast. Here’s what that means.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Florida is doubling every three days, putting the state on a trajectory to see tens of thousands of infections in the coming weeks.

The number of cases is already past the point of easy containment and infections are growing faster and faster, at what statisticians call an exponential rate.

By 11 a.m. Saturday, Florida had reported more than 3,700 cases — an increase of nearly 1,000 in 24 hours.

Florida remains one of the few states with a large outbreak not to issue a statewide order to keep residents at home.

Last edited:
Florida coronavirus cases are growing fast. Here’s what that means.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Florida is doubling every three days, putting the state on a trajectory to see tens of thousands of infections in the coming weeks.

The number of cases is already past the point of easy containment and infections are growing faster and faster, at what statisticians call an exponential rate.

By 11 a.m. Saturday, Florida had reported more than 3,700 cases — an increase of nearly 1,000 in 24 hours.

Florida remains one of the few states with a large outbreak not to issue a statewide order to keep residents at home.

JG, omg look at this, from the last thread, sorry can’t remember who posted it atm:

700 N.J. police officers have tested positive for coronavirus, State Police leader says

Health chief says we must stay locked down until JUNE: UK could be made to remain at home for nearly three months to avoid worst effects of coronavirus and practice social distancing until October

Britain must stay locked down until JUNE says leading adviser | Daily Mail Online

I personally think this crisis is going to go on until there is a mass produced vaccine.

#StayHomeSaveLives

"The illness has two phases - the majority only suffer phase one,
which last seven days. One in seven suffer phase 2,
which begins on day six, and lasts up to three weeks.

... Day 6 You may develop Breathing problems"

I’m not feeling great tonight (mentally). Our prime minister has said that you should only leave your home for essentials. Then he said his wife left their home to buy jigsaw puzzles for their kids because they’re essential.
I don’t live with my partner and I miss him dearly.
I don’t know what’s going to happen when it’s my turn to have my kids in the holidays (shared care).
In other news my uncle with covid is feeling okay one week after diagnosis. My Aunty who lives with him tested negative twice. Still really worried about them.

JG, omg look at this, from the last thread, sorry can’t remember who posted it atm:

700 N.J. police officers have tested positive for coronavirus, State Police leader says

Yes, we had testing of only medical personnel and first responders that wanted a test yesterday at our large testing spot in Holmdel.

So glad they are finding those carrying the virus here so it can be contained.

I believe the Holmdel site is open again today for testing to anyone with symptoms (no doctor note needed). Bring ID, NJ residents only.

Additional smaller county sites, in addition to sites already open, will start on Monday with a doctor's note and symptoms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member