Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping off this, Dr. Tedros was talking recently about the importance of making sure that these drugs are safe, and that what might look good in a test tube might not actually be good in a human, and in fact can be harmful. He used the example of this happening during Ebola as a reference.

The good news is The Solidarity Trial has started. I think Doc T says they’re still 12-18 months out on a vaccine. Iirc there are 4 specific trials right now iirc moo? And 46 countries? Iirc moo.

——

ETA:
Coronavirus anti-viral update: 4 treatments included in WHO’s global trial
Posted Mar 28, 2020

“The World Health Organization recently announced a global mega-trial of four coronavirus treatments, titled the “SOLIDARITY trial.”

The effort is designed to quickly gather enough data on the drugs to figure out any side effects and which treatments are most effective. More than 45 countries are involved; the U.S. has not been named as one of the participants.”

What is concerning is that the US, for FDA clearance, doesn't allow things to fast track unless a US company. So if the rest of the world has one, and gears up for mass production, I greatly fear the US may be left behind. (a la test kit fiasco). They need to be stockpiling the vials and reagents that are carriers for the eventual vaccine. The production won't be as easy and fast as flu vaccines, and heck, there seems to be a shortage of those every year anyway. MOO

Coyotes Are Wandering San Francisco's Vacant Streets While the City Shelters In Place

ETxuKe8WAAAgXuX

So, we’ve got rats coming out in New Orleans, coyotes in San Francisco...what’s next, bears in Colorado?

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI

ST. LOUIS — There is no sign of a dip in coronavirus cases in St. Louis or Missouri. The region’s caseload is rocketing upward, with the state seeing a more than 600% increase in total cases over the past week — the largest percentage increase in the country as of Thursday, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University.

And a lack of widespread testing largely means that experts aren’t sure when the region will reach the peak of its curve — clouding their ability to know when normal life might resume. They hope they will be able to better predict in coming days how much protective measures, like social distancing and widespread restrictions on public activities, are working.

This week, Missouri saw a 600% jump in coronavirus cases — the largest increase in the country | Local Business | stltoday.com

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

I’ll be releasing later today with expert thought leaders a detailed plan for how we transition between population based mitigation now being employed in many cities to case based interventions and other tactics as chains of epidemic spread are hopefully broken in mid/late April Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Staying at home is what we need to be doing now. But as we get through April, and chains of epidemic transmission are hopefully broken through our current mitigation steps, we can start to transition to different approaches that gradually rely more on case based interventions.

April will be hard month but we'll get through it. This will end. We need to stick with current strategies. We can look toward May as month when we carefully transition to new posture. For now focus must be on supporting healthcare systems, preserving life, ending epidemic spread.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Do you think "chains of epidemic transmission" are being broken?

It's absolutely true. If a state is showing low numbers, look further into how many tests are administered. You'll be shocked at the lack of testing in any state outside the NJ or NY area.

COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

They added an additional link to each state, Click on the blue icon next to each state listing. You'll see total population in that state, how many tests administered and how many were positive/negative/pending.

Research before pointing fingers.

A real eye opener for those that think the virus is just in the NJ/NY area.
And if you want to consider why NY is such a hotspot. How many visitors from everywhere on the planet and in our country especially come to mingle among the lights and sights of NYC? How many returned from spring break and Mardi Gras? How many come into the city just to see a show, have dinner, spend the weekend? Even from Rhode Island? How many people have two homes? NYC and the Hamptons on Long Island? Or even Newport, RI?

This virus is like the “gift” that keeps on giving, from anywhere to anywhere; anyone to anyone. Instead of blaming a single source, state or country (going all the way back to China on this one, and cruise ships) it surely would be more productive to accept every state has it, every state’s number will increase with testing, and the low numbers in some areas are not solely due to lack of infection.
MOO

Remember, we are ALL in this together.

Last edited:
Why does Cuomo want to spread this virus?

MOO

I suspect poor people can't move about, many middle class also don't have the ability to pack up and leave, however, you don't want to pizz off the wealthy, they want to be able to get the he ell outta that hot zone, for sure.

Indeed, the U.S. constitution guarantees free travel between the states, unless under Federal Martial Law.

So here in the U.S. the transmission of this virus is likely unstoppable, and emerging will be the private sector supporting the medical sector in terms of products and supplies to address the situation.

MOO

INDIA

MUMBAI (Reuters) - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked the nation's poor for forgiveness on Sunday, as the economic and human toll from his 21-day nationwide lockdown deepens and criticism mounts about a lack of adequate planning ahead of the decision.

Modi announced a three week-lockdown on Tuesday to curb the spread of coronavirus. But the decision has stung millions of India's poor, leaving many hungry and forcing jobless migrant laborers to flee cities and walk hundreds of kilometers to their native villages.

"I would firstly like to seek forgiveness from all my countrymen," Modi said in a nationwide radio address.

The poor "would definitely be thinking what kind of prime minister is this, who has put us into so much trouble," he said, urging people to understand there was no other option.

"Steps taken so far… will give India victory over corona," he added.

The government announced a $22.6 billion economic stimulus plan on Thursday to provide direct cash transfers and food handouts to India's poor.

In an opinion piece published on Sunday, Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo - two of the three winners of the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2019 - said even more aid for the poor is needed.

"Without that, the demand crisis will snowball into an economic avalanche, and people will have no choice but to defy orders," they wrote in the Indian Express.

Modi seeks 'forgiveness' from India's poor over coronavirus lockdown

I just want to say Thank You to all of you who educated us from the start. I know all the info provided when things were exploding in China gave me great insight on how to stay safe. It was never a matter of if it hit here it was when. I took precautions here way before most. I was masking and gloving with work. Phone on speaker. Typing with gloves on etc. etc. I truly believe all your info early in saved me from getting this virus. Day 10 since my exposure and I and DH are feeling just fine. So a huge thank you! I hesitated to even mention my exposure but I wanted folks to know if you keep yourself safe with all protocols you can stay ahead of this. You folks are just the best. Stay safe.

U.K Death toll now 1,228 people it was 1,019 yesterday - Sky News U.K

UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK: As of 9am 29 March, a total of 127,737 have been tested: 108,215 negative. 19,522 positive. As of 5pm on 28 March, of those hospitalised in the UK, 1,228 have sadly died.

#StayHomeSaveLives

GEORGIA

FANNIN COUNTY, Ga. — Fannin County is one of many that made an emergency declaration this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.

County sheriff’s officials are now clarifying that this means people from Atlanta with cabins in the area cannot go to their cabins at this time. The Fannin Sheriff’s Administration posted this on Facebook Thursday:

I have received multiple inquiries wanting to know if people from Atlanta can come to their cabins. The answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Atlanta is under a “Shelter in Place” order. Our ordinance specifically prohibits this.”

North Georgia Officials: Visitors are not welcome in the mountains this weekend

CHINA

(Reuters) - The rising number of imported coronavirus cases in China have raised the possibility that the country will undergo a second wave of infections, a spokesman of the country's health authority said on Sunday.

"China already has an accumulated total of 693 cases entering from overseas, which means the possibility of a new round of infections remains relatively big," said Mi Feng of the National Health Commission.

China reported 45 new cases of coronavirus on Saturday, all but one of which were patients diagnosed after entering the country from overseas.

China says imported virus cases raise risk of new infection wave

“Food insecurity has grown exponentially during the current health emergency in San Diego. On Saturday, 1,000 cars lined up at SDCCU Stadium for a drive-thru food distribution event, the San Diego Food Bank confirmed.”

[...]

““This is what living paycheck to paycheck looks like. People are hurting. They’re scared right now,” said Keith Maddox, Executive Secretary Treasurer of San Diego & Imperial Counties Labor Council.”

1,000 San Diego Families Line Up for Drive-Thru Food Distribution: SD Food Bank

Opera star Placido Domingo hospitalised with coronavirus 14 days after first symptoms

The opera singer Placido Domingo was rushed to hospital after his health deteriorated two weeks after first exhibiting signs of coronavirus

Placido Domingo hospitalised with coronavirus 14 days after first symptoms
Mr. Domingo is
in hospital at the moment.

I hope everyone is coping ok.

#StayHomeSaveLives

oh... thank you for sharing. i just love him so... hopefully this music is special to you too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong