Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree and applaud the Governor of Rhode Island..... Those Tri-Staters should be home in self-quarantine in their home states as their own Governors have ordered. They pose an "imminent danger" to Rhode Island and any other state they attempt to flee too during this time of crisis.........moo

Interestingly ...

Quote:
Even the American Civil Liberties Union conceded in a 2008 report that “interstate travel may be restricted when there is a direct threat of disease.” Specifically, “in a pandemic, governments may either impose broad bans on travel or seek to prohibit travel only by individuals who are thought to pose a high risk.”

Another quote:
For although the courts have long held that the Constitution protects the right to travel, including from one state to another, that freedom has been subject to a considerable caveat, articulated by Chief Justice Earl Warren in the Supreme Court’s 1965 decision in Zemel v. Rusk:

“But that freedom does not mean that areas ravaged by flood, fire or pestilence cannot be quarantined when it can be demonstrated that unlimited travel to the area would directly and materially interfere with the safety and welfare of the area or the Nation as a whole.”

Viewpoint: In Case You Were Wondering, It's Legal to Close State Borders (opinion piece)

Stats like these reenforces the naysayers belief Covid is not as serious as the media reports, I think.
I wonder how so many negatives are getting tested, when so many with the symptoms are not tested. Appx 85% of IN tested negative per stats. It’d be interesting to know why they were tested, was it due to presumed positive or vague symptoms, and might many of them now be positive? Moo

There is probably a mix of reasons why so many are tested. Some might be medical workers who need to be cleared lest they unknowingly pass Covid to their non-Covid patients. Some might have symptoms that mimic Covid. Some might have been in close contact with a person who tested positive. I doubt that tests are being wasted.

Yes, some of those who tested negative yesterday, may test positive tomorrow.

The man has been living there for 30 days after coming from out of state. Incubation period is up to 14 days, so if he presumably is as covid free as the rest of the population in Maine.
I think stuff like this will occur more & more, starting this week. Tempers are beginning to flare. The more restrictions imposed, the more defiant many become.
Evidently KY is having issues at campgrounds. Go figure, the one place some might go to to get away from Covid then a large group pulls in & begin partying like they’re at Woodstock, ruining it for everyone.

There is probably a mix of reasons why so many are tested. Some might be medical workers who need to be cleared lest they unknowingly pass Covid to their non-Covid patients. Some might have symptoms that mimic Covid. Some might have been in close contact with a person who tested positive. I doubt that tests are being wasted.

Exactly, how many had valid reason but perhaps tested too soon, and what the heck did they do during the wait for results time?

The blaming and finger pointing is getting out of hand. I can't call and order delivery of my favorite Chinese restaurant anymore because they (and many other mom-and-pop Chinese food delivery restaurants in my area) have gone out of business because of the "china virus".
LOL !...... If they shut down the burrito take-out places here, I am just gonna migrate to Mexico.....moo

Sen. Rand Paul in an op-ed on Tuesday urged folks to stop “finger-wagging” at him for not self-quarantining while awaiting his coronavirus test results.

“I did not quarantine while awaiting a coronavirus test because I did not meet the criteria for quarantine,” the Kentucky Republican wrote in USA Today. “In fact, I did not meet the current criteria for even being tested, much less quarantined.”
https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/rand-...f-quarantine-while-awaiting-coronavirus-test/

This makes zero sense to me......

Covid symptoms resemble those of flu, cold, allergies, and even food poisoning. So when people get something like a cough now, first thing they think of is covid.

CALIFORNIA

On Saturday, a dozen elderly residents at a nursing facility in Yucaipa tested positive for COVID-19.

The facility is working with San Bernardino Public Health officials to make sure every resident and staff member is tested immediately.

On Thursday, an 89-year-old female resident at the facility died after previously contracting coronavirus. The woman had underlying health issues.

In addition, a resident at a nearby nursing facility in Mentone is said to be experiencing symptoms of the virus.

“This is the first instance we have had in our county of a concentrated COVID-19 outbreak,” Acting County Health Officer Dr. Erin Gustafson said. “The county will do everything within its ability and authority to minimize the tragedy this pandemic has the potential to create in our communities.”

“This outbreak a signal to anyone in the county who is not taking this pandemic seriously and is resisting complying with public health orders and guidelines that the threat of COVID-19 is very real,” Dr. Gustafson added. “Staying at home, minimizing non-essential contact with others, maintaining social distancing from even people we know and with whom we have regular contact, and consistently practicing good hygiene is our best hope of making forward the other side of this pandemic.”

There have been 76 positive cases of coronavirus in San Bernardino County, with at least three deaths.

12 Residents of Yucaipa Nursing Facility Test Positive for Coronavirus

Stats like these reenforces the naysayers belief Covid is not as serious as the media reports, I think.
I wonder how so many negatives are getting tested, when so many with the symptoms are not tested. Appx 85% of IN tested negative per stats. It’d be interesting to know why they were tested, was it due to presumed positive or vague symptoms, and might many of them now be positive? Moo
I'm in Indiana, the county with approximately 70 cases. I've been exposed and have mild symptoms, no test just presumed so don't know if they're counting that. Eli Lilly is doing private testing with a doctor's order so that may be why so many high negatives. I'm in nursing and work in a residential facility with known positive and none of us with symptoms have been tested. Insane......moo

CHIEF HEALTH OFFICER, VICTORIA
AUSTRALIA

"Some of the behaviour today - when we’re asking people to stay home - has been really crap. It’s hard to change habits and it’s hard to see dangers that aren’t apparent yet. But with 3,000 cases of COVID in Australia this week, we’re headed to 100,000 in 2-3 weeks without change."

"That means thousands of deaths. Overwhelmed health services. Medical staff at unacceptable risk. Unstoppable spread. Do the right thing now and #StayAtHome. Today. Tomorrow. Until we’re through this, please."

Chief Health Officer, Victoria on Twitter

Holland America cruise ship with dead aboard gets OK to head toward Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Several Broward County commissioners were alarmed at the idea of the Zaandam docking at Port Everglades.

Commissioner Michael Udine said early Sunday that Port Everglades notified county commissioners late Saturday with its mandates for the passengers including: All illnesses and conditions must be accurately disclosed and documented; the cruise line, at its expense, will provide all protective equipment to all responders; temperature readings are required for all disembarking crew and passengers; and the cruise line, at its expense, will arrange for private ambulance transportation, among other issues.

To minimize exposure, passengers are only allowed off the ship with one piece of luggage with essential items. The cruise line would sanitize all other luggage, according to Port Everglades regulations.

And, “no less than 24 hours in advance of the start of debarkation, the cruise line will present a security plan for review and approval... how passengers will debark orderly, safely and in compliance with current health advisories (i.e. social distancing). Failure to maintain good order may result in an immediate suspension of the debarkation until the situation is under control,” according to the guidelines.

Udine said the ship’s pending arrival would be discussed at Tuesday’s scheduled county commission meeting; the ship needs 72 hours to get to Port Everglades once it passes the Panama Canal.

NJ

Governor Murphy on ABC This Week Transcript 3/29
This Week @ThisWeekABC

--"New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy suggests enforceable quarantine is not necessary for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut: "The fact of the matter is our three states... we're doing about as aggressive a set of steps as any states in America right now."

--"Pressed on why an enforceable quarantine wouldn't be effective, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy tells@MarthaRaddatz: "Folks, they're already getting the message to stay at home, we're enforcing that."

--"New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy tells @martharaddatz
"We're still way short" on medical supplies, even with shipment from national stockpile. "The big headline for us are ventilators... that's our number one ask. That's our number one need."

(Videos)

This Week on Twitter
This Week on Twitter
This Week on Twitter

Transcript

'This Week' Transcript 3-29-20: Gov. Phil Murphy, Gov. John Bel Edwards, White House National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow

Covid symptoms resemble those of flu, cold, allergies, and even food poisoning. So when people get something like a cough now, first thing they think of is covid.
It’d prob be better if Covid presented with a unique factor, like a bright red nose or something. Spring in KY means everyone sneezes, coughs, red eyes, etc. so the risk of an asymptomatic person spreading it via droplets is huge now, imo.

ICELAND

Icelandic authorities have been informed that a shipment of 5,000 testing swabs arriving to the country next week will be reduced to around 2,000. The Chief Epidemiologist Þórólfur Guðnason stated in a press conference last Friday that there were only around 2,000 of the swabs remaining in the country. Þórólfur says Icelandic authorities have all of their feelers out and are even researching whether the swabs can be manufactured in Iceland.

As the number of swabs available shrinks, the number of coronavirus tests being administered in Iceland has decreased daily between March 18 and March 22.

Iceland Slows COVID-19 Testing Due to Shortage of Swabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member