NC NC - Phyllis Powell, 5, Woodland, 11 Jan 1963

http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/01/15/powell-case-remains-etched-deep-in-mystery/

Parker, who now resides in Ahoskie, was living with her family in Woodland at that time. Joined by her five-year-old sister, Phyllis Lorrain Powell, the girls were washing clothes at the home of a neighbor, Molly Lassiter, when little Phyllis asked her older sibling for permission to go outside and play.

“I never thought that would be the last time I would see my little sister,” said Parker of that fateful day 52 years ago... “This was a street where she knew everyone by their name. As a matter of fact, everyone living on that street back then was either members of our family or were close friends with our family... the street at that time only had eight houses on it and you could see from one end of the street to the other. A man could throw a baseball from one end to the other.”

PLPowell.jpg

Phyllis Lorain Powell
  • Case Classification: Missing
  • Missing Since: January 11, 1963
  • Location Last Seen: Woodland, Northampton Co, North Carolina
Physical Description
** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

• Date of Birth: Unknown
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 5 years old
  • Race: Black
  • Height at Time of Disappearance: 3'8
  • Weight at Time of Disappearance: Unknown
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Dentals: Available
  • Fingerprints: Not available
  • DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: Brown coat, pants, and a white diaper wrapped around her head like a scarf.
  • Jewelry: Unknown
  • Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance
Phyllis Lorain Powell was last seen on January 11, 1963. At 11AM, she was watching television at a neighbor's house on the 300 block of Ashe Street. At noon, she was missing. The last sighting was of her skipping down Ashe Street towards State Route 35, intending to go to a friend's house. Foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)
If you have any information about this case please contact;

• Agency Name: Northampton County Sheriff's Office
  • Agency Contact Person: Sheriff Wardie Vincent
  • Agency Phone Number: 252-534-7101
  • NCMEC Case Number: NCM1137005
  • NamUs Case Number: MP #1781

Information Source(s)
The Doe Network: Phyllis Lorain Powell - 3150DFNC

https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/MissingPersons/Cases/1781/Images/57120/Original
https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/MissingPersons/Cases/1781/Images/57121/Original

I wonder why there is no photo of the girl. It would appear that she was loved and wanted. My best guess is that they were too poor to have one or they were afraid to lose the one or few they had to a police force i doubt they trusted. But thats just a guess based on my own experiences and understanding of those circumstances. Looking at google street view, I'm certain that in 1963 it was an even more rural, poorer and mostly black community in NC.

Bumping for Phyllis

Circumstances of Disappearance

January 11,1963 started out as a beautiful day in Woodland, North Carolina. Phyllis Lorain Powell age five left out her home on Ashe Street to play. At 11:00am Phyllis was watching I Love Lucy at a Lewis and Bernice Vinson house at 310 Ashe Street, by 12:00 Phyllis was gone. The last sighting was Phyllis skipping down Ashe Street headed towards NC35 to Molly Lassiter’s home. That was the last time she was ever seen.

Phyllis has been ruled out as 12/26/1983 Christmas Jane Doe found in Northampton County NC by DNA.

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP1781Phyllis Lorain Powell, Female, Black / African American
Date of Last ContactJanuary 11, 1963
Missing FromWoodland, North Carolina

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back