Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to praise one of our local churches here in SW FL. They did a drive thru food distribution today. I told the sign in lady that as a cancer patient, this was the safest way for me to get food. I explained that my daughter was unable to get much from the store, how grateful I was and how much I appreciated them doing this, for those of us who really needed it. She was so kind, walked over to the food area and got a box of dog treats for Athena (our foster dog). We had zero dog treats and the humane society didn’t have any either.

We received a 5lb frozen package of turkey lunch meat, 4 heads of cabbage, a dozen eggs, 2 loaves of French bread, a bag of dinner rolls, donuts, 2 bags of trail mix, 3 red potatoes, 4 bags of Brussels sprouts, 2 bunches of bananas, 1 salad mix, 1 kale mix, 4 little bags of fresh okra, 4 cans of soup, 4 cans of veggies, a box of raisins, 2 cans of peaches, 2 big cans of cooked ground pork and 2 bouquets of flowers!!

I’m the only one who can eat the bread items because both my kids are allergic to wheat. So I am sharing with my friend. It is such a relief to have enough food here.

Counting my blessing today for all the wonderful people who are helping me stay safe.
That's fantastic. And I am so happy Athena got her doggie treats. How is she doing in her new home?
❤️.

That's fantastic. And I am so happy Athena got her doggie treats. How is she doing in her new home?
❤️.
Athena is doing great! Her skin is healing, her appetite is good, she sleeps all night and loves the backyard. She’s very quiet too and only makes noise if she’s hungry (whimper) or a cry if she can’t find me. I’ve heard her bark once! She rode like a trooper on her field trip test the other day. She is going to make a great pet for someone.

Attachments

• A8470438-C26F-42FE-BD24-E50FA95A81A3.jpeg
    A8470438-C26F-42FE-BD24-E50FA95A81A3.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 41
This seems like a good time to eat up some of the canned food in my kitchen cabinets. Let's see, there's a can of Boston Baked Beans way in the back. Sounds yummy.

But wait, the can has a BB date of November 2011. The outside of the can looks OK. Should I bin it, or not? I guess I should at least open the can and inspect the contents before I throw it away.

I found some realllly expired stuff-mostly marinades and sauces when I cleaned the cabinet out last week

our first ever peapod delivery is coming today. Update later.

This seems like a good time to eat up some of the canned food in my kitchen cabinets. Let's see, there's a can of Boston Baked Beans way in the back. Sounds yummy.

But wait, the can has a BB date of November 2011. The outside of the can looks OK. Should I bin it, or not? I guess I should at least open the can and inspect the contents before I throw it away.

Please don't throw away food. I'm not entirely convinced that the food supply chain will be able to keep up with the need. If you can't eat it now, at least it's an emergency back up.

I found some realllly expired stuff-mostly marinades and sauces when I cleaned the cabinet out last week

our first ever peapod delivery is coming today. Update later.

Please don't throw away food. I'm not entirely convinced that the food supply chain will be able to keep up with the need. If you can't eat it now, at least it's an emergency back up.

Please read here before opening or eating cans past the printed dates. Thanks!

Before You Toss Food, Wait. Check It Out!

Please read here before opening or eating cans past the printed dates. Thanks!

Before You Toss Food, Wait. Check It Out!
Excellent source of info. Let me just add, if you have dried beans/peas, if there are weevils, throw them out. When I bring home bags of beans/peas, I don’t open them because I need the cooking instructions. I put them right inside a baggie/plastic container. That way if one bag goes bad, the others aren’t affected.

If you have a baking or pancake type mix that was opened but never finished, check the date first. These products can mold but you don't realize it. They can be scary for those with mold or milk allergies.

We’ve learned a lot after years of dealing with food allergies but I always appreciate others input on food safety!

What are you doing about food cravings? Salty or sweet, we all get them occasionally. Last night, DH was longing for something sweet but was not going to run out to Kroger or Meijer for a day-old pie or a pint of ice cream. I don't usually crave sweets; crunchy, salty snacks are my vice. We always have peanut butter that is good with an apple and satisfies my urge for crunchy and salty. What to do about DH's sweet tooth?

We have only six eggs at the moment because, even at 7:00 on Thursday morning during senior shopping hours at Meijer, it was obvious that eggs were a hot commodity. We don't eat a lot of eggs and were not completely out, so DH did not get them. I have the ingredients to make a pound cake but didn't want to use up our eggs. I searched yesterday and found a pound cake that uses only three eggs and will bake it today. It's not pie but should satisfy DH's sweet tooth. We have fresh and frozen berries, and there's even a tub of Cool Whip in the freezer if he wants to get fancy :D

Excellent source of info. Let me just add, if you have dried beans/peas, if there are weevils, throw them out. When I bring home bags of beans/peas, I don’t open them because I need the cooking instructions. I put them right inside a baggie/plastic container. That way if one bag goes bad, the others aren’t affected.

If you have a baking or pancake type mix that was opened but never finished, check the date first. These products can mold but you don't realize it. They can be scary for those with mold or milk allergies.

We’ve learned a lot after years of dealing with food allergies but I always appreciate others input on food safety!

I keep my dried beans, rice and flours that I don't use often in the freezer so no bugs can get into them. Our household is gluten free and there are some GF flours I don't use very much but like to have on hand. Keeping them in the freezer means they won't turn rancid which can happen fast for me with flax or coconut flour kept in the pantry. You can also store sugar and dried cereals in the freezer (sealed in plastic) to keep them fresh long past the expiration date.

What are you doing about food cravings? Salty or sweet, we all get them occasionally. Last night, DH was longing for something sweet but was not going to run out to Kroger or Meijer for a day-old pie or a pint of ice cream. I don't usually crave sweets; crunchy, salty snacks are my vice. We always have peanut butter that is good with an apple and satisfies my urge for crunchy and salty. What to do about DH's sweet tooth?

We have only six eggs at the moment because, even at 7:00 on Thursday morning during senior shopping hours at Meijer, it was obvious that eggs were a hot commodity. We don't eat a lot of eggs and were not completely out, so DH did not get them. I have the ingredients to make a pound cake but didn't want to use up our eggs. I searched yesterday and found a pound cake that uses only three eggs and will bake it today. It's not pie but should satisfy DH's sweet tooth. We have fresh and frozen berries, and there's even a tub of Cool Whip in the freezer if he wants to get fancy :D
My youngest is allergic to eggs and I’m big on baking. Not only do I love to bake but we must due to multiple food allergies. Yesterday, I converted a recipe for Raisin Cookies that is gluten free, dairy free and egg free. I doubled it, baked them all off and froze a bunch of them.

I started with The Joy of Cooking recipe called Raisin Cookies. I used King Arthur all purpose gluten free flour, Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer, butter flavored Crisco and Flax Milk.

When you convert to GF, the flour makes the product a bit denser and more bland. Hence, I used the full 4 tablespoons of milk in the recipe to thin out the batter. The flour is from beans, rice and potatoes so the end product is less sweet and less flavorful. Next time, I will add 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Overall, they turned out well but just a bit bland.

ETA: recipe link: Raisin Cookies Recipe - Joyofbaking.com *Video Recipe*

Pantry moths, OMG. Much that comes into our house stops overnight -- or longer -- in the big freezer in the garage. Flour, mixes, bags of dried peas & beans, etc.

Bring to room temperature before you use it!

Opened mixes, flour, can be stored in the 'fridge. Holds longer & it is dry inside your fridge.

Best, Laughing

I rarely crave sweet things, but I woke up today craving Nutella crepes.
GF Recipe: Gluten Free Nutella Crepes
We don't have any Nutella in the house. I ate the eggs and ham my DH cooked for us this morning instead. Then I still wanted something sweet so I got a rice cake with peanut butter on it and drizzled it with raw honey. That satisfied the sweet craving.

I usually want salty. I keep unpopped popcorn on hand for the salty cravings. We make our popcorn on the stove top. Put a tablespoon of coconut oil (or any heat-stable oil) in the bottom of a pot with a lid and heat 1 or 2 test kernels on medium heat (about 5 or 6 on my electric stove). Stay near the stove and watch/listen. As soon as the test kernel pops add enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pot. Then stay by and shake it occasionally as it pops. Once the popping sound slows down pour the popcorn out into a bowl immediately to keep it from burning. Season popcorn and enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. My usual pound cake requires whipping cream that we don't have. We have sour cream, and I know there are dozens of pound cake recipes that call for sour cream instead of the whipping cream. My pound cake also yields a bundt pan or two loaf pans. The recipe I found is for a single loaf pan. I will bake this afternoon.

I always have nuts in the freezer and bought a 4# bag of walnuts at Costco for holiday baking. Ended up not doing as much baking as usual and have most of the large bag in the freezer. I like to snack on nuts and could also toss them in honey or maple syrup with sea salt for a sweet, salty, crunchy treat :)

I have a running grocery list and continue to add things that we could use, but most items are not urgent. One market trip per week is all we're doing. Salvaggio's was completely out of Bell & Evans chicken last week; butcher told DH that the truck comes early Tuesday. He will take advantage of the senior shopping hours Tuesday morning and stock up on chicken and fresh fish. If there are eggs, maybe just a carton of eight. Fresh fruit and some veggies is all we need.

Bingo! I will make walnut butter :) California Walnut Butter - California Walnuts

Last edited:
I have been known to eat a handful of Nestle Toll House Morsels when a craving hits.
Great scattered over freshly popped popcorn, too.

BDE- Google the 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe. It only requires one egg. Sometimes I add a dash of vanilla.

I was wanting to bake something sweet the other day, too, and was lamenting because I didn't want to use any precious eggs. An online friend sent me this cake recipe that uses no eggs. Of course, you can use or make any type of frosting you like :)

WW11 Wacky Cake

1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup brown sugar (3/4 c white)

1/3 cup cocoa

1 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 teaspoons cloves

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup salad oil

1 tablespoon vinegar (I use cider)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup cold water (hot)

Directions

Mix all ingredients together in 8 x 8 cake pan (you don't even need a bowl!).

Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes. (25-30 mins for 8" spring form pan)

Broiled Frosting

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

3 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled

3 T milk (I use whipping cream)

3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut

1/2 cup chopped pecans

okay- so now i am freaking out: i go to Walgreens to get a few things-- and this guy comes kind of close to me (in front of me) and tells me I am beautiful --- normally that would be a nice thing to hear ( though i am by no means beautiful)-- anyway, now i am freaking out because he got way too close -close enough to breathe on me---- Oy Vay!!! I don't think it is a huge risk but it is a risk to have someone too close to you with their breath-- I am a person at high risk- elderly with asthma----

okay- so now i am freaking out: i go to Walgreens to get a few things-- and this guy comes kind of close to me (in front of me) and tells me I am beautiful --- normally that would be a nice thing to hear ( though i am by no means beautiful)-- anyway, now i am freaking out because he got way too close -close enough to breathe on me---- Oy Vay!!! I don't think it is a huge risk but it is a risk to have someone too close to you with their breath-- I am a person at high risk- elderly with asthma----

i hear ya... i just hope you scrubbed ferociously when you got to your car or home. I felt it recently in a store too...no gooey comments...but the young kid disinfecting the floors in my Winn Dixie just felt soooooooo close. All I think anymore is "carrier carrier" I really do gargle with mouthwash and sanitize my hands before and after any entry into a store! Probably have to give up the visits all together with whats coming in this next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa