Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree and applaud the Governor of Rhode Island..... Those Tri-Staters should be home in self-quarantine in their home states as their own Governors have ordered. They pose an "imminent danger" to Rhode Island and any other state they attempt to flee too during this time of crisis.........moo
Best read the Constitution. Even Covid does not break our constitution. Given what we haven't done that we could have done over the past two months... we can not just pop up with Martial Law willy nilly. Chaos.

I think the constitution won....

Today. Waiting for next week. There are 10 million situations now, that are almost impossible to solve. The biggest elephant in the room, is going to be the jail and prison population.

And the ongoing issue of people who can travel to the United States, from foreign countries, or people in the United States, who travel to areas with fewer infections.

It is interesting, that people in the State of Montana are required to "Stay at Home", but a traveler from NYC could check into a local hotel.

The ship should go where it is registered. That would be the best plan. If the country refuses port, the next solution is to go to the country where the ship owners are based out of.

Or, just go to the United States, because no other country is humane enough to deal with the situation.
It was somewhere before that the majority of passengers is from US, this may be one of the reason why they are heading there?

I disagree and applaud the Governor of Rhode Island..... Those Tri-Staters should be home in self-quarantine in their home states as their own Governors have ordered. They pose an "imminent danger" to Rhode Island and any other state they attempt to flee too during this time of crisis.........moo
Best read the Constitution. Even Covid does not break our constitution. Given what we haven't done that we could have done over the past two months... we can not just pop up with Martial Law willy nilly. Chaos.
FRANCOIS BALLOUX

"There have been previous reports in the media of patients having been 'reinfected'. I'm not aware any of these have been confirmed. How long immunisation to #COVID19 lasts for remains unknown, but it is likely to protect against reinfection for ≥1 year. "(2/4)

Some asymptomatic patients might remain #COVID19 positive if they failed to clear the infection. If such healthy 'chronic' carriers remained infectious ('long-term shedders'), this would further add further epidemiological challenges. (3/4).
Mystery In Wuhan: Recovered Coronavirus Patients Test Negative ... Then Positive

It is premature to conclude whether transmission through 'long-term shedding' happens in #COVID19. Though, transmission by healthy 'chronically infected' carriers is known for other viruses (e.g. HSV, genital Herpes) and even bacteria ('Typhoid Mary'). (4/4) Francois Balloux on Twitter

Francois Balloux on Twitter
This is just such an important message to comprehend and remember. Testing, testing testing...everyone in the country is going to eventually be tested. Over and Over. The carrying with no symptoms, the relapse of those that have had it are all the uncharted territory that will have to be addressed by massive and continuous testing.

So earlier on I said that hubby and I would walk the trails in the woods if we were quarantined. I hadn't planned on being sick for 13 days. Yesterday we managed to walk some trails in between storms and I hope it's okay to share a pic from a trail cam when the deer spotted it.

Attachments

• 00000058.JPG
    00000058.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 56
What the heck??? I am glad I dont live anywhere near Fort Lauderdale--
If I did I would be beside myself with anger
I thought people were aware as to what they could possibly face climbing onto a ship full of people? I do feel bad for them, at the same time people have a right to be angry while things are already hard enough.

Remember when West Virginia did not have 1 case for days? They were the last State to report a positive virus.

Update:

West Virginia now has 113 positive coronavirus cases in the state

Unfortunately, WV is in for a world of hurt related to coronavirus. It has one of the highest rate of smokers in the country, along with Arkansas and Kentucky. Couple that with rising incidences in black lung disease in Kentucky, it's going to be grim for those in Appalachia.

States With the Most Smokers

Black Lung Disease Back and Worse Than Before, Inside Appalachia

Sweden remains open as other countries lock down over coronavirus

Sweden will be interesting to watch, and see what happens. They haven't shut down schools, and it is pretty much "life as normal", with events of more than 50 people, cancelled.

Sweden is edging into exponential growth in Corona deaths. 110 deaths total, which is just slightly more than California. California has about 40 million people, Sweden has 10 million. So, 110 deaths is quite a few.

Mortality rates in Sweden increased by about 5% in one day. California's increased by less than half of that. I'm just using California as a reference because I'm familiar with it. Anyway, Sweden may need to reevaluate if it wants to flatten its curve (maybe Sweden has plenty of beds and ventilators). Number of newly diagnosed cases in Sweden grew by over 7% in one day.

UK

Britons should not expect to get back to 'normal life' for six months or even longer, the government's deputy chief medical officer warned today.

Dr Jenny Harries told a Downing Street press conference that people should not be viewing the coronavirus crisis as something that will blow over soon.

She said it will not be clear whether the 'social distancing' lockdown is working for another two or three weeks - after Easter - with deaths set to rise further.

But even if the draconian restrictions do succeed in 'squashing' the peak of the outbreak, reverting to a 'normal way of life' immediately would probably lead to a disastrous new spike in infections.

impact jointly on the slope of that curve.

'But I think to make it clear to the public if we are successful we will have squashed the top of that curve, which is brilliant, but we must not then suddenly revert to our normal way of living that would be quite dangerous.

'If we stop then all of our efforts will be wasted and we could potentially see a second peak. So over time, probably over the next six months, we will have a three-week review.'

Dr Harries said it was 'plausible' that the restrictions could need to in force longer than that.
Coronavirus lockdown could last for SIX MONTHS, says Dr Jenny Harries

Kind of a vicious circle. Everyone wants to complain the federal government isn't doing enough. But if they do anything, it isn't enough or it's wrong. Jmo

Thank You for doing that and keeping your husband safe as well. Thank him for continuing to care for people at his risk. It's incredibly surreal to have insight to what is really happening. Yet I'm grateful as it keeps me/us safe.

I feel so helpless.. I can't sew anything, never have been able to, but wish I could now. Something that came up in backthreads was showing a Mattress Company redirecting its manufacturing to make medical uniforms. (and oh we all laugh at a mattress store on every corner) What a combined effort of these mattress stores with gobs of heavy duty materials to be connected with large volunteer sewing capability... Certainly not a GM or Boeing............but STILL quite a beneficial effort...

It was somewhere before that the majority of passengers is from US, this may be one of the reason why they are heading there?

I would actually want to see the verification of evidence before I took that information as concrete.

It seems like so many things are taken as "evidence", when it is actually "anecdotal", "Someone said that, therefore it is true".

Unless an absolutely credible source, impartial journalist, was given the ship's manifest, with the citizenship information of every passenger, and verified the source of information, I don't accept the "source".

Trauma physician at Florida's biggest hospital: "We are slowly descending into chaos"

A trauma physician at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital said that the hospital's ICU is beginning to fill up just as they are being told there's a supply shortage to treat coronavirus.

"We are slowly descending into chaos," the physician said. "We keep on drilling and preparing but it’s already taking a toll on our staff. Both emotionally and psychologically."

The trauma physician said the presence of coronavirus created a thick layer of fog they have to operate in as they try and treat patients.

"It’s not like in the ICU," the physician said. "Everybody knows the patient has COVID and has time to don the equipment before going into the room."

Normally they rely on literature, research and training in the trauma center, developed over years of study and practice. But the physician says they are "flying blind" in a storm without instruments right now.

"With COVID and trauma there is nothing," the physician said. "So, we had to build guidelines from the ground up in record time and start training our teams on those guidelines not really knowing if they are best practices or not."

Coronavirus live updates and news: Global pandemic kills more than 30,000 - CNN

Sweden is edging into exponential growth in Corona deaths. 110 deaths total, which is just slightly more than California. California has about 40 million people, Sweden has 10 million. So, 110 deaths is quite a few.

Mortality rates in Sweden increased by about 5% in one day. California's increased by less than half of that. I'm just using California as a reference because I'm familiar with it. Anyway, Sweden may need to reevaluate if it wants to flatten its curve (maybe Sweden has plenty of beds and ventilators). Number of newly diagnosed cases in Sweden grew by over 7% in one day.

You reminded me. Is there ANY country that has enough ventilators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member