Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for me, the disease is scary, but the post-quarantine time as well, as I expect huge economy hit, everywhere. Remembering my dad’s words (and he survived a huge war, and hunger, and lots of other nasty things), he used to say, “OK, so we shall survive on potatoes”, i did the unthinkable - ordered pots and soil and seeds. I have zero interest in gardening and no green thumbs, but I shall plant this stuff, and post the results. )))
One thing, gardening is supposed to improve the mood, anyhow.

I want to be sure to keep the positive stories coming too.

Metro Detroit group helps local restaurants by buying food for hospital workers

“DETROIT – An estimated 400 meals were donated to heath care workers Saturday at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital.”
Even the children have big hearts during this stay-at-home.

MEDFORD LAKES, N.J. -- Nora H is a young girl of many talents. The 6-year-old is somewhat of an entrepreneur, making jewelry to sell to neighbors. That's how she funded her latest big idea in the face of COVID-19.

When she found out the annual community Easter Egg hunt may be canceled, she started to share her other talent with the community: painting rocks.

It's a hobby she has loved for "years and years and years," she said, which is roughly half of her life so far.

On her Facebook page, Nora's Rocks, she announced that she would organize a "rock hunt" around town and invited everyone to participate.

6-year-old creates social distance substitute for Easter egg hunt

I have a question for the group:

If your immediate family members, not in your home (adult children, parents) become sick with COVID19, are you going to go take care of them?

Or stay away, at your home, to protect yourself and spouse?

Or, are they going to be "okay", drinking juice, taking Tylenol, and just survive like any other flu, or go to hospital, alone.

I am seeking clarity from others on this possible reality.

I will definitely tune in to this special for some musical inspiration. I'm not a country music fan, but I love Trisha Yearwood :) Her Food Network cooking show is one of my favorites, and I bought one of her cookbooks last fall.

Brooks, Trisha Yearwood to perform requests on live special

LOS ANGELES – Garth Brooks and wife Trisha Yearwood will be taking viewer requests during a live prime-time show this week filmed at their home.

CBS will air the special, “Garth and Trisha: Live!” on Wednesday at 9 p.m. Eastern...

Opening the pool in about 10 minutes. It's mess- but it will be worth it- much needed stress relief via water therapy. It needs a capacitor- so we will start the pump with a drill until a new one arrives. Dug far too many huge dandelion plants out of the yard- will make some tea. We have wild blackberries- so the dogs and I ate the few that were ripe. Blew off the porches, and need to pressure wash the chairs that are on the 3 season porch. It's hot here- and it actually felt good to sweat like a pig . (the shower felt better!) Of course, I will need another shower after I help hubs with the pool ...

If your immediate family members, not in your home (adult children, parents) become sick with COVID19, are you going to go take care of them?

Or, are they going to be "okay", drinking juice, taking Tylenol, and just survive like any other flu, or go to hospital, alone.

My parents are 87. I just don’t think I could sit here and not go tend to their needs, with proper precautions. Such a tough situation to be put into.

I'm half way across the continent from my 85 year old dad, the aneurysm on his aorta, and his leaky heart valve. Lucky for me, my big sister is right there.

If he gets sick -- dilemma for sure, for sure.

I don't know & pray that I don't have to figure that out!

Best to all, Laughing

My mama is the only one in my family that lives alone. She’s 84 in good spirits and bad health. My sisters are helping to provide for her right now. If she contracted this virus, I wouldn’t think twice about staying with her as long as she needed care. Even if my sisters were still with her ~ I would go. If I were to die after she did, there is no one in my family that would be left alone. Mama would do the same for me.

As a response to the closure of various venues around the world, many museums, national parks, and even zoos are going virtual, giving those at home a chance to enjoy their services from the comfort of their pajamas.

The Berlin Philharmonic (closed until April 19), for example, has opened its digital archive, offering access to hundreds of previous concerts as well as upcoming shows (register before March 31 to take advantage).

More music to our ears: The Seattle Symphony, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and London’s Wigmore Hall.

Elton John will host an all-star benefit concert airing Sunday night titled Fox Presents the iHeart Living Room Concert for America

The special will encourage its viewers to support the charitable organizations Feeding America and First Responders Children's Foundation.

Elton John to Host Coronavirus Benefit Concert With Mariah Carey, Billie Eilish, Tim McGraw, and More

Go down memory lane. Get out those old photo albums. Write a little note on the back of them or attach a notecard identifying the person (remember -someday, someone might be looking through them and say I wonder who that is.) Remember these names, relations and dates. Write our history to go forward someday. Search for our treasure boxes, sentimental mementos, what-knots and play-pretties from our parents or grandparents, letters, greeting cards, cherished memories from our children or ourselves as children. Pull them out from underneath our beds, in the back of our closets, attics, etc. Why are we keeping this stuff anyway? It was important enough to save. Wasn’t it? Why? As a memory to relive. Just as we save our keepsakes to pass along some day. Pass along these memories also. Write our memories on some pretty paper. Make new memories. Keep a journal. Enjoy these treasured moments now. What are we waiting on? Pull out that old vintage china, glassware and jewelry cases out of our hidey-holes, storage chests or boxes. Wash them up. Cook a special meal to celebrate these old dishes. Shine and polish up our picture frames. Replace the newer photos with older ones. Make a family wall collage. Start a scrapbook. Make a treasured memory box for someone you care about who’s been involved in your life.

I pulled out one of my own grandma’s treasure boxes. I found an old crossword puzzle book she gave me when I used to spend the weekends with her when I was around ten. She used to walk me down to the store and buy me Royal Crown sour cherries, lemon balls, teaberry and clove chewing gum. I can see her purple morning glories wrapped around her back door stair banister. She was a magical wizard at cryptograms. I could never figure out how she worked them. The letters didn’t make sense. She’d sit in that old rocking chair for hours watching “Peyton Place” and “Perry Mason”. Inside the crossword book were the written words: “Idle hands are the devil’s workshop.” There was an old antique mirrored vanity tray in this box. I started shining on that old thing with some vinegar and water. I kept seeing something that wouldn’t go away but the more I shined the golder it became. I started looking at it from different angles to figure out what the heck?” There were gold flecks inside the mirror made into the entire glass. I have a whole collection of vintage vanity trays. I got some more out and got busy shining. They are spit polished now but no more golden mirrors showed up. I just kept staring at the golden mirror trying to figure out if I was hallucinating. My husband and son walked by and asked me what I was doing. I asked them to look at all the trays and see if they noticed anything different. They both said hmmm. Wow, that is unique. My husband and I are true treasured junk collectors. Neither of us have seen anything like it. It does appear to be the oldest one I have. Most of them have a visible maker’s mark but I can’t make this one out. My daughter walked by later and has now officially claimed this particular collection as hers someday.

Last edited:
mickey2942, what would you do? asking you the big question.

I would go to my daughter in a heartbeat, she is close by. My Mother, yes, but if she was seriously ill, it would probably be too late. She is quite elderly. More to deal with her numerous pets.

My sons are all over, probably not feasible, unless it was serious. They all have awesome girlfriends, one is engaged.

I am hoping that everyone will be okay. Stressed lately about reading that young, seemingly healthy young people are actually dying.

This is just a thought, not sure what applies to every area.

I suspect by the time many are affected by COVID, the highways and byways will be shut to regular traffic, no planes, no buses. So travelling to see a loved one may be right out of the question.

Add to that the idea of Martial Law/lock downs and we'll all be at home whilst it happens.

What we MUST keep foremost in our minds, is that the VAST majority of people who are stricken with Covid DO RECOVER!!

They will be better in time, recovery takes time.

Keep that on the front burner folks, the majority will be okay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53