GA GA - John Dax Dunn, 40, Coweta Co, 13 Feb 2020

I also wonder if he ever contacted his family at any time during the trip (text, phone call)?

I think one of the articles said they’d not had contact with him since Feb. 13, which was the day he left.

ETA:

March 6, 2020

“John Dunn disappeared from his home in Coweta County, Georgia on February 13, 2020. Since his disappearance he has not contacted family or friends.”

I was really hopeful/excited John had been found because I just tried to click on the “Find John Jax Dunn” Facebook page and it said the link was broken, but I guess John’s still missing?

I was really hopeful/excited John had been found because I just tried to click on the “Find John Jax Dunn” Facebook page and it said the link was broken, but I guess John’s still missing?

I keep checking but the last article about Dunn is the one dated 3/9/20. He is still listed as missing with Missing Persons Cases Network on Facebook but I get the same broken link you do for “Find John Dax Dunn.”

This sure is an odd disappearance with minimal- and sometimes conflicting- information. There are literally hundreds of islands off Crystal River area. Idk how FWC could have searched all of them. Some are dense mangrove thickets. Tough to get in. Did he have a heart attack or medical issue?

There seems to be two scenarios here:

1. He intended to rough it for an extended period and hid the truck so it wouldn't be broken into or towed OR
2. He intended self harm. Most people do not take a pistol kayaking.

In either scenario they should probably be searching the Crystal River and riverbanks.

Does this river have crocs or other large wildlife?
Is John retired or considered AWOL?
I wonder if he has struggled with PTSD?
Does he possibly know anyone in this area?
The Crystal River is famous/ popular/ known for its COLD clear water & white sandy bottom & manatee viewing. We took our son there for his 21st birthday to get scuba certified. It is too far north and water too cold for crocs. There are gators. And lots of fish.

I do think many scenarios possible. Medical issue caused drowning. Medical issue & still out on a little island deceased. Shark attack. Hit head/amnesia. Foul play. Etc.

I doubt PTSD. Yes he’s a vet. But he’s held a stable job & fam life for 17 yrs & many friends & fam adamant this is uncharacteristic- to the degree they took time off to find him in FL. Clearly they think something is very wrong. I tend to believe them. Jmo

As for the pistol, most ppl wouldn’t kayak w one. But if he planned to camp on one of those little islands- you bet! Who knows who could be out there. He could have walked in on a drug deposit/transaction. You never know.

DAX! John Dax Dunn. Sorry for the autocorrect and that I didn’t reread my post before I posted it. I did just look up and see the fundraiser-thank y’all so much for that!

View Ramp

There is a map included on the link. It shows the public boat ramp at the end of County Rd 40 where LE stated his truck was found.
If you look just north of that, you will see access to a canoe/kayak launch. I assume it’s a possibility he utilized this if he put the rented kayak into the water close to where his truck was found.
I haven’t came across mention of the kayak being returned or found yet. I did notice the kayak was described as 10.5ft and lime green.
Thank you for that excellent link. I did have to enter "Inglis, Fl" on the search so I could find the ramps at the end of County Road(or perhaps State Highway) 40. That canoe/kayak ramp is actually on the Withlacoochee Bay in the Gulf of Mexico.

Larger view of the area:
upload_2020-3-30_8-56-13.png
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

upload_2020-3-30_9-0-3.png
ArcGIS Web Application (Search "Inglis, FL" and follow Highway 40 west to the end, shows 2 boat ramps, with the northernmost ramp for hand launch)

I don't think I fully realized how difficult the search for John and his kayak would be, until I saw the map. There are so many islands and waterways in this area.

A quick google search on crime in that area (I don’t mean that in a condescending way!) will tell you that it’s not completely safe. I will say after living very close to Inglis for the last almost 3 years, Florida is by far the most unsafe and drug riddled state I have ever lived in. I’m not saying that to be rude or offensive, and I know there are good parts.. but even living in a great exclusive neighborhood (whatever that means), I’ve never been around more drugs and crime. I’ve lived in so many places be it small towns or larger cities in Texas, Kansas, Illinois, Georgia, Minnesota, Alabama, Indiana, New Hampshire, etc- and I will say I’ve never seen a place like this. I’m praying John just needed a break and will return home to his children and be found safe, very soon!

A quick google search on crime in that area (I don’t mean that in a condescending way!) will tell you that it’s not completely safe. I will say after living very close to Inglis for the last almost 3 years, Florida is by far the most unsafe and drug riddled state I have ever lived in. I’m not saying that to be rude or offensive, and I know there are good parts.. but even living in a great exclusive neighborhood (whatever that means), I’ve never been around more drugs and crime. I’ve lived in so many places be it small towns or larger cities in Texas, Kansas, Illinois, Georgia, Minnesota, Alabama, Indiana, New Hampshire, etc- and I will say I’ve never seen a place like this. I’m praying John just needed a break and will return home to his children and be found safe, very soon!
Tried to find a link to see what drugs, drug crimes, stats, etc., pertain to Ingles, FL, but couldn’t find anything that says it’s above national average. We never experienced drug/ crime issues living in FL for 10 years, so not sure if this is a factor in this case. I’d be cautious kayaking to those little islands for sure though. Jmo

Do we actually know that John got onto the rented kayak on Crystal River, though? Or used it on any water for that matter? I may have missed that information!
Also, is February 14th accounted for? I know he went missing on the 13th, and stopped at the gas station and rented a motel room in Inglis on the 15th, correct?

Do we actually know that John got onto the rented kayak on Crystal River, though? Or used it on any water for that matter? I may have missed that information!
Also, is February 14th accounted for? I know he went missing on the 13th, and stopped at the gas station and rented a motel room in Inglis on the 15th, correct?
I thought I knew the details of the case, then when @Barlow asked those questions, I realized I only knew the order of the known events. I did not look at the significance of the dates, or what the spacing of events might signify. I thought I would do a timeline. Please correct, or add if got anything wrong. This is my first timeline, so hopefully I got most of it correct.

* The convenience store in Inglis, FL has been called Marathon gas station, and Circle K gas station. Upon checking google maps (called Kangaroo Express on 2015 Google Street View), and google, the store is now called Circle K, and uses Marathon gas. In addition, US-19 is also called US-95. County Road 40 is also called Highway 40, and Follow That Dream Pkwy.

upload_2020-4-3_0-3-35.png
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Map Legend
  • Coweta County, Georgia--John's residence
  • Midway, Florida--Bank card use
  • Inglis, Florida--Bank card use, motel room
  • Crystal River, Florida--Kayak & life vest rental
  • End of Highway 40--Where John's truck was found.

While I was doing the timeline, I got additional questions:
  • Where did John spend the night on Feb 14th?
  • Did he bring a lot of cash? There are only 2 bank transactions--one in Midway, one in Inglis. What did he do for meals on Feb 14, 15, 16, and 17th? Did John use cash at the kayak rental place, and at the motel? Did he buy or bring bait?
  • What river did John use the kayak in? I would guess that he used the kayak in Crystal River since John drove down the approximately 10 miles to Crystal River to rent the kayak. There was a kayak rental store between Inglis and the location his truck was found (in Yankeetown).
  • Was John ever at the location where his truck was found? Maybe something happened in Crystal River, and where the truck was found was just the dump location? Crystal River is in Citrus County. Highway 40 is just north of the Citrus County boundry, in Levy County.
  • Was the motel room empty? Did John actually check out? If John did check out, what day was that?

While I was doing the timeline, I got additional questions:
  • Where did John spend the night on Feb 14th?
  • Did he bring a lot of cash? There are only 2 bank transactions--one in Midway, one in Inglis. What did he do for meals on Feb 14, 15, 16, and 17th? Did John use cash at the kayak rental place, and at the motel? Did he buy or bring bait?
  • What river did John use the kayak in? I would guess that he used the kayak in Crystal River since John drove down the approximately 10 miles to Crystal River to rent the kayak. There was a kayak rental store between Inglis and the location his truck was found (in Yankeetown).
  • Was John ever at the location where his truck was found? Maybe something happened in Crystal River, and where the truck was found was just the dump location? Crystal River is in Citrus County. Highway 40 is just north of the Citrus County boundry, in Levy County.
  • Was the motel room empty? Did John actually check out? If John did check out, what day was that?
First, great job on the timeline! I found myself trying to make sense of this case by jotting a timeline down on paper one evening. But I think the more I tried to make sense of it, the more questions I had!
I too have wondered about the hotel. What date did he check out (if he ever officially did so)? And if so, did he actually stay each night he had booked there?
Were all his belongings accounted for? Or are there items missing? Or not found in his truck but possibly left in the hotel room?

Local search for missing fisherman continues; family asks for help

It says his fishing poles were left in the truck, but his spear gun was missing along with his pistol...causing even more questions.
•Is this of the norm (go fishing without your fishing poles, but just your spear gun)?
•Is his pistol something he carried with him normally (whether fishing or any other activity)?

It also states his cooler was left in the truck. So I question:
•Did he not intend on being out in the kayak too long, thinking there was no need to carry his cooler with him?

He rented the hotel room on Feb 15 but didn’t rent the kayak until Feb 17.
•What did he do Feb 16? Did he fish elsewhere that didn’t require him to have a boat or kayak? I’d think he’d use every day he had to fish since it’s stated that was his reason for the short 4 day trip. (Moo)

Local search for missing fisherman continues; family asks for help

It says his fishing poles were left in the truck, but his spear gun was missing along with his pistol...causing even more questions.
•Is this of the norm (go fishing without your fishing poles, but just your spear gun)?
•Is his pistol something he carried with him normally (whether fishing or any other activity)?

It also states his cooler was left in the truck. So I question:
•Did he not intend on being out in the kayak too long, thinking there was no need to carry his cooler with him?

He rented the hotel room on Feb 15 but didn’t rent the kayak until Feb 17.
•What did he do Feb 16? Did he fish elsewhere that didn’t require him to have a boat or kayak? I’d think he’d use every day he had to fish since it’s stated that was his reason for the short 4 day trip. (Moo)

All of these questions are important to figuring out what happened to John. What suprised me the most was that the missing person report was filed on Feb 15th! Why was it filed so quickly? Had John not called home? John rented a motel room for the night on that same day! I know that the family found the receipt for the (unnamed) motel, but was it really John that rented the motel room? Did John have a cell phone? Did he have a suitcase? Why did John use his bank card for some purchases, but not for others? Who moved John's truck to the location where it was found?

I have no answers for the fishing questions--I don't know what kind of fishing could be done with the equipment that he took. I do know that kayaks don't have room for large coolers--that's why I usually rent a canoe rather than a kayak I don't fish, but I love being on the water!

We have three options:
  1. John is hiding somewhere. It would make sense that John was around long enough to move his truck to where it was found, but that is the only reason this would make sense, IMO.
  2. John had an accident. This choice seems the most logical, but it is strange that he and the lime green kayak haven't been found yet, IMO In addition, who moved John's truck to where it was found?
  3. John committed suicide. This choice is possible, but then who moved the truck?
  4. John has been murdered. This choice is possible, but why was he murdered?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back