Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Century-Old Vaccine Investigated as a Weapon Against Coronavirus
A vaccine that’s been used to prevent tuberculosis is being given to health-care workers in Melbourne to see if it will protect them against the coronavirus.

The bacillus Calmette-Guerin, or BCG, shot has been used widely for about 100 years, with a growing appreciation for its off-target benefits. Not only is it a common immunotherapy for early-stage bladder cancer, it also seems to train the body’s first line of immune defense to better fight infections.

[...]

“It can boost the immune system so that it defends better against a whole range of different infections, a whole range of different viruses and bacteria in a lot more generalized way,” said Curtis, who’s also a professor of pediatric infectious diseases at the University of Melbourne and head of the infectious diseases unit at the city’s Royal Children’s Hospital.

[...]

WASHINGTON

Surge in coronavirus deaths, cases come as work to start to convert CenturyLink Field Event Center into field hospital
The coronavirus death total now sits at 189 among 4,310 confirmed cases, according to DOH numbers released at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

Here’s a breakdown of some of the largest counties: King County has 136 deaths among 2,077 cases; Snohomish County has 23 deaths among 912 cases; Pierce County has 5 deaths among 282 cases.

[...]

Click here to see where other counties in the state stand.

[...]

My husband uses a USB connected document camera to show what he is writing- his kids never see his face- only hear him and see what he is writing/ figuring out. His video is turned off. He uses a whiteboard in the classroom- but has mastered this camera thing. @10ofRods

Ah - I see. I know exactly why he does that. That is exactly the technique I need. My voice and some kind of paper - and a document camera (which I do not have and for which there's no longer any tax deduction as a teacher). I will petition the dean but probably end up buying it myself. I'm thinking for Fall, because it's clear we'll still be dealing with issues (where I work, those of us 65 and older can continue to self-quarantine).

I'll start with practicing with the right sized paper and my phone (just to get the hang of videoing my "whiteboard" things). I do a lot of timelines. And other charts. But by fall, I need to be able to get the material across without someone having to hold a camera.

I'm guessing that zoom preserves what you do, somehow. No face for me if possible.

Yes when you share your screen it doesn't show your face. You can also doodle on the screen for people to see. But just turning off video and muting yourself allows you to stealthily lurk on the call and only shows your username handle if you do speak up. My company has gone basically 120 days work from home (although I've been that status for almost 10 years now). The technology we have these days really allows weathering storms like covid-19 much easier, but there are so many smaller companies that don't know they can do it or how to do it (service oriented jobs excluded). In 30-40 more years this will all probably be second nature - the ability to flip a switch and keep employees safe at home doing their jobs.

Very helpful. So I could use screen instead of paper. I'm going to practice.

Celtics' Marcus Smart cleared following coronavirus diagnosis
[...]

"Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and prayers and I’m doing the same for everyone that’s been effected by this. Stay safe and stay together- apart! Much love!"

Smart announced his COVID-19 diagnosis 10 days ago. He wrote then that "I’ve had no symptoms and I feel great. But the younger generation in our country MUST self distance. This is not a joke. Not doing so is selfish. Together we can beat this, but we must beat it together by being apart for a short while. Much love!!"

[...]

Tokyo record biggest daily increase in cases

Tokyo recorded its biggest daily increase in Covid-19 cases on Sunday, as authorities identified large infection clusters in and around the capital.

The additional 68 cases brings Tokyo’s total to 430 - by far the highest among Japan’s 47 prefectures. The newly identified infections included 27 at a hospital where 96 people are now known to have been infected.

In addition, 88 cases have been found among staff and residents at a facility for people with intellectual disabilities in Chiba prefecture, east of the capital.

Coronavirus live news: US deaths could reach 200,000 as UK warned of six-month lockdown

#StayHomeSaveLives

MONTANA

Family-owned grocery store adjusts during coronavirus outbreak
Walter’s Family Foods is open and shelves are stocked, just like it has been for 132 years in downtown Sheridan, Mont., but behind the scenes, it’s not business-as-usual.

General manager Mike Walter said grocery store staff and management began planning for the impact of a coronavirus outbreak weeks ago, before a case of COVID-19 was confirmed in the state.

“We were just kind of watching it as it was moving inland,” Walter said. “We had time to make decisions and do things.”

[...]

Ah - I see. I know exactly why he does that. That is exactly the technique I need. My voice and some kind of paper - and a document camera (which I do not have and for which there's no longer any tax deduction as a teacher). I will petition the dean but probably end up buying it myself. I'm thinking for Fall, because it's clear we'll still be dealing with issues (where I work, those of us 65 and older can continue to self-quarantine).

I'll start with practicing with the right sized paper and my phone (just to get the hang of videoing my "whiteboard" things). I do a lot of timelines. And other charts. But by fall, I need to be able to get the material across without someone having to hold a camera.

I'm guessing that zoom preserves what you do, somehow. No face for me if possible.

Yeah, you can do this easily with Zoom or any other similar software. Start the class, share your screen, open the charts or other documents from your computer and run thru them - even better, get a $50 drawing drawing pad to connect to the computer and you'll feel like you're doing transparencies 30 years ago. Put the same avatar on your Zoom profile and anytime you're speaking without sharing the screen your students will just see your awesome dog.

NJ

At least 10 detainees with underlying medical conditions have been released from U.S. Immigrants and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody in New Jersey, under a court order amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Three of the individuals were at Hudson County Jail in Kearny, five were at Bergen County Jail in Hackensack and two were being held at Essex County Jail in Newark, Ball said,. All three facilities have reported either detainees, inmates or staff testing positive for COVID-19.

The individuals each have underlying conditions, including diabetes, severe heart disease, chronic asthma, pulmonary issues, history of hospitalization for severe pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), according to court documents.

“This is the first federal court in the nation to find that ICE is showing deliberate indifference to the safety of detained people who have medical conditions putting them at high risk if they contract COVID-19 – so much that their detention is likely unconstitutional and they must be immediately released," BDS New York Immigrant Family Unity Project attorney-in-charge, Andrea Saenz said in a written statement

As of Sunday, New Jersey reported 2,316 additional positive test results for COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in NJ to 13,386.

As of March 29, there were 61 deaths attributed to novel coronavirus in NJ.

ICE ordered to release NJ detainees at higher risk for COVID-19

Last edited:
WASHINGTON

Choir practice turns fatal. Airborne coronavirus strongly suspected
With the coronavirus quickly spreading in Washington state in early March, leaders of the Skagit Valley Chorale debated whether to go ahead with weekly rehearsal.

[...]

Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

[...]

After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead.

[...]

UTAH

Utah County Light Display Spreading Hope During Coronavirus Outbreak
[...]

David Hartle, who has set up various displays near the “G” above Pleasant Grove, invited children to design a light project for the mountain during some quarantine downtime.

The winning design, which can be seen from across Utah County, is an outline of the state of Utah with a heart inside of it.

91296852_486691518880066_5485966464529727488_n-300x225.jpg

[...]

Designs included a roll of toilet paper, an Easter egg and Pac-Man eating the virus.

[...]

Two large health insurers waive coronavirus treatment costs
Two large health insurers waive coronavirus treatment costs
Health insurers Cigna and Humana are now waiving patient cost-sharing on all treatment for coronavirus, including hospitalizations and ambulance transfers, for their insured members and employer plans.

“Our customers with COVID-19 should focus on fighting this virus and preventing its spread,” said David Cordani, Cigna president and CEO, in a statement, adding “while our customers focus on regaining their health, we have their backs.”

The insurers said the waiver applies to all medical costs related to the treatment of coronavirus, including FDA-approved medications and vaccines when they become available. They will apply to their privately insured individual and groups plans, Medicare Advantage and Medicaid members.

[...]

INDIANA

US surgeon general names Indianapolis as 'emerging hotspot' for coronavirus - WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana Weather | Indiana Traffic
National health leaders have named Indianapolis as a possible hot spot location for the coronavirus pandemic.

On March 6, the Indiana State Health Department confirmed the first case of coronavirus. Since then the number of confirmed cases is growing by the hundreds daily as more tests have become available.

[...]

Adams made the reference in a tweet on Sunday comparing Indianapolis to some cities with more than 1,000 cases each: New Orleans (1,350), Chicago (2,026), Detroit (1,542), Los Angeles (1,818), and Miami (1,192). All of those cities have seen a rapid jump in positive cases.

[...]

Very helpful. So I could use screen instead of paper. I'm going to practice.
You might just put all of your timelines and diagrams and such into a PowerPoint and then use the “Share my Screen” function of Zoom to let your students all watch the slideshow as you provide narration in real time...knock on wood, but that’s been working well for me in the three college seminars I currently teach via Zoom.

KENTUCKY

Norton Healthcare says 36 employees have tested positive for coronavirus
One of Louisville’s largest employers confirmed late Sunday night that 36 of its employees have tested positive for the coronavirus.

A spokesperson for Norton Healthcare said the tests took place over the last several weeks.

[...]

The exposures weren’t at one particular hospital in the Norton system, and they could have taken place outside of work.

[...]

Coronavirus vaccine: when will it be ready?
[...]

About 35 companies and academic institutions are racing to create such a vaccine, at least four of which already have candidates they have been testing in animals. The first of these – produced by Boston-based biotech firm Moderna – will enter human trials imminently.

This unprecedented speed is thanks in large part to early Chinese efforts to sequence the genetic material of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. China shared that sequence in early January, allowing research groups around the world to grow the live virus and study how it invades human cells and makes people sick.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member