Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pentecostal preacher Tony Spell didn’t just stand before his congregation on Sunday in defiance of the governor’s order to stay home: He leaped into the pews, paraded, hugged and laid hands on worshipers’ foreheads in prayer.

“We’re free people. We’re not going to be intimidated. We’re not going to cower,” the Rev. Spell said from the pulpit of Life Tabernacle Church in a suburb of Baton Rouge. “We’re not breaking any laws.”

Louisiana church defies COVID-19 order, holds Sunday services
Well, the virus doesn't care if they are free people.

A Republican state representative has filed a measure that would allow people and businesses to sue the governor if they feel emergency restrictions are unnecessary, too broad or last too long.

The legislation comes after Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, has ordered many businesses across the state to be shut down or closed to in-person traffic during the coronavirus pandemic.

Rep. Savannah Maddox, a Republican from Dry Ridge and the measure’s sponsor, said in an email that it would protect Kentucky workers and business owners from government overreach.
Lawmaker Wants To Allow People To Sue Over Beshear's Coronavirus Orders

Interesting reading, United States Government Response to Pandemics, written in 2006.

It is a PDF file, and quite comprehensive, except that we went from Phase One, Identify a Potential Pandemic, to Phase Five, Community Spread in the United States, much faster than anticipated. And there is no vaccine available.

Columbia Sportswear CEO takes pay cut to help support employees during coronavirus crisis - CNN
[...]

Boyle reduced his salary to $10,000, Mary Ellen Glynn, Columbia's director of corporate communications, said in a statement. Boyle made $3.3 million in 2018, according to The Oregonian.

[...]

The company's roughly 3,500 retail employees were at risk of losing their jobs or not getting paid. Now, employees will continue receiving their regular paychecks, Glynn said.

[...]

At least 10 of the company's top executives voluntarily took a 15% pay reduction to help, Glynn said.

Boyle joins a growing list of company executives that have taken pay cuts to keep their employees afloat as they try to handle the economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

[...]

Other companies, including Marriott, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ford, GE and Lyft have also taken similar measures.

Yeah, you can do this easily with Zoom or any other similar software. Start the class, share your screen, open the charts or other documents from your computer and run thru them - even better, get a $50 drawing drawing pad to connect to the computer and you'll feel like you're doing transparencies 30 years ago. Put the same avatar on your Zoom profile and anytime you're speaking without sharing the screen your students will just see your awesome dog.

Thank you so much. Need to get to work on those charts - that's actually really fun. I have a few already, but am so used to drawing them with colored dry erase markers as a kind of kinetic thing to keep their eyes moving in class.

People who are congregating in large numbers-I think it's pretty much a guarantee we are going to hear very soon that many of them has gotten sick. Just like that choir practice.

The lines in stores create clusters, just like the lines we see for free lunches. I think it’s a given most everyone will get Covid, based on what we’re seeing. Moo

The lines in stores create clusters, just like the lines we see for free lunches. I think it’s a given most everyone will get Covid, based on what we’re seeing. Moo
As far as I am concerned, we basically need hospital grade PPE if we go out (gloves, N95 masks, disposable gowns, shoe covers) which we can't purchase.

rbbm.
The 'hidden' coronavirus symptom young people should look out for
''Losing your sense of smell will be familiar to anyone who has ever had a cold - but have you ever lost your sense of taste completely?

Health officials are now telling people to look out for a loss of smell and taste, as it it believed to be a symptom of coronavirus.

And it appears this unusual symptom may affect young people who may not show other signs of the virus, including a cough and high temperature.''

The symptom has been so severe for some, they've been able to eat a spoonful of curry powder and whole garlic cloves without tasting it.

Chronicle Live reports the loss of taste and smell - known as anosmia - is believed to be a symptom of "hidden carriers" so it's extremely important to follow guidance and stay inside to isolate if you experience it, to protect others.''

As far as I am concerned, we basically need hospital grade PPE if we go out (gloves, N95 masks, disposable gowns, shoe covers) which we can't purchase.
Yes, I agree. Hopefully everyone is stocked up by this time & fewer will be out. That’d be great for the workers at stores. I don’t see how any of them can not be presumed positive by this time.

Yes, I agree. Hopefully everyone is stocked up by this time & fewer will be out. That’d be great for the workers at stores. I don’t see how any of them can not be presumed positive by this time.
Right now I am having my food delivered, but I will have to venture out soon enough to get my prescriptions refilled. Yikes.

MINNESOTA

Coronavirus In Minnesota: Schools, Parents, Students Set For Distance Learning
[...]

On Monday, March 30, Minnesota students and their teachers will begin distance learning. Earlier in the month, Gov. Tim Walz gave the order to temporarily close schools to slow the spread of COVID-19.

[...]

His district and many others will rely on Schoology as their digital classroom, an online program where students will find and complete assignments. It also allows them to directly interact with their teachers by video and text.

“We’re making sure that as many students as possible have access to technology [like Google Chromebooks], but for those who don’t we provided [lessons] in print form. So we’re delivering hard-copy materials for those who need it and their families,” McIntyre said.

[...]

IDAHO

Boise Target employee tests positive for the coronavirus
An employee at the Target on Milwaukee Street in Boise tested positive for COVID-19, according to the company.

Officials at Target did not state when the employee last worked at the store or what department they were in.

[...]

Target added that the employee is currently quarantined and is on paid sick leave.

[...]

Hanson added that employees were told that the employee last worked at the store on the weekend of March 21-22 and March 23. The positive test result came in on Thursday, he said.

He also tweeted about the situation on Sunday, where he said, "If one coworker has it, I’m sure a portion of the staff has it right now and just haven’t started showing symptoms. They are unknowingly spreading the virus because the staff has been kept in the dark as to who tested positive and how closely they worked with everyone."

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member