Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other shopping news, we did score Cuban rum, coca cola (not the good Mexican kind, but oh well) and we have sugar and lemons. So Cuba libres if things get tough!

Almost makes up for no cake, not anything resembling it (not even a donut). Gonna make pineapple upside down cake with 5 year old granddaughter tomorrow.

BUT, I do have one bag of sourdough honey mustard pretzel bits. For that dark night, if it comes.
Husbands birthday is coming up in a few days. I still didn't get any flour, but finally found cake mix. I got a box of chocolate cake mix and have cream cheese and powdered sugar to make frosting.

It will only be us, but we are planning a Skype party with Kids and grandkids. And they can sing happy birthday as we light candles and cut the cake...

Last edited:
you can substitute eggs in a lot of recipes - they are merely a binding agent and applesauce or banana does the same trick
I got applesauce for that tip in mind. My grandma used tio use it as a substitute as well. She had 8 kids so she conserved food whenever possible. Making breakfast took a dozen eggs at a time. LOL

I live in small town AL. Not hoarding for myself and keeping product fom others. I shop for two weeks of groceries at a time. I find all we need, including TP. Not revealing my sources lest the AL hoarders swoop down. The only product I'd like to be able to find is hand sanitizer. I'd like one full bottle, but we have an almost full bottle and several purse size, so we are ok. We are hand washers and only use sanitizer when we are in the car, which isn't often.

I just received a call from my ShopRite shopper.

They have NO toilet paper of any kind and NO Parmalat milk. I was able to find dry milk at Dollar General last week, but was looking for boxed milk too.

Again it seems the shelves are bare. People must be stocking up more.

My next delivery is from Peapod on April 10th. By then I will be desperate for TP :(

I do have a couple boxes of Klennex. Is that better for the sewer than paper towels?

I just received a call from my ShopRite shopper.

They have NO toilet paper of any kind and NO Parmalat milk. I was able to find dry milk at Dollar General last week, but was looking for boxed milk too.

Again it seems the shelves are bare. People must be stocking up more.

My next delivery is from Peapod on April 10th. By then I will be desperate for TP :(

I do have a couple boxes of Klennex. Is that better for the sewer than paper towels?
Don’t flush any paper product of any form down a toilet other than toilet paper. Nothing biodegrades properly except toilet paper, not tampons, tissues, paper towels, ”flushable wipes”, baby wipes, etc. A covered, lined trash can in the bathroom is essential once the TP is gone. Look up composting toilets. See what you have on hand you can use in the bottom of the bag to reduce odor and make it more sanitary.

One of my best friends is married to a plumber. I’m certain he’s really busy right now!

Excellent source of info. Let me just add, if you have dried beans/peas, if there are weevils, throw them out. When I bring home bags of beans/peas, I don’t open them because I need the cooking instructions. I put them right inside a baggie/plastic container. That way if one bag goes bad, the others aren’t affected.

If you have a baking or pancake type mix that was opened but never finished, check the date first. These products can mold but you don't realize it. They can be scary for those with mold or milk allergies.

We’ve learned a lot after years of dealing with food allergies but I always appreciate others input on food safety!

Baking powder and yeast don’t perform well after expiration dates. But as for the rest of the food, thank you for supporting my frugal position against an ex who would toss ANYTHING out. “Even wine before it’s time!”

For those of you facing shortages, can you post your locations? Is it because you are located in less populated areas?
West Houston, Texas has sporadic empty shelf syndrome but for the most part, everything is available. I wonder how we can shift our stocks to those of you who need things. Anyone have any thoughts on moving extras around?

Cans can give you signals if the product is bad. Bulging denting bowing at the top or bottom. Yup we are living on the edge Now :) LOL..MOO Thanks to you all !
Diaper genie works well if you have paper products or wipes that can't flush. A couple of updated models and brands at Amazon and Walmart on line

Excellent source of info. Let me just add, if you have dried beans/peas, if there are weevils, throw them out. When I bring home bags of beans/peas, I don’t open them because I need the cooking instructions. I put them right inside a baggie/plastic container. That way if one bag goes bad, the others aren’t affected.

If you have a baking or pancake type mix that was opened but never finished, check the date first. These products can mold but you don't realize it. They can be scary for those with mold or milk allergies.

We’ve learned a lot after years of dealing with food allergies but I always appreciate others input on food safety!

When purchasing flour, cereal other things like that, I toss them in the freezer. Sugar, too. If I have the room, the items stay in the freezer to prevent weevils and ants. Bay leaves on the pantry shelves can only keep so many critters away. Other items, (or if freezer space is at a premium, like now), get put into plastic or glass container BOXES. Snap tight lids. Not bags bc the critters chew holes through them to get to the good stuff. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around as well. Natural product. It attaches to the critter legs, gets ugly for them from there but it gets rid of many problems. And you will have a bug free house.
If you need it, I have a DIY recipe that I haven’t tried but rids your house of other little creepy crawler pests, too. It’s a process. But now that you’re home with time to spare, maybe some deep cleaning would be a good thing. I’m finding myself cleaning, sanitizing way more than before.
We just don’t know how sanitary the store may be from where our purchases originate.

Cans can give you signals if the product is bad. Bulging denting bowing at the top or bottom. Yup we are living on the edge Now :) LOL..MOO Thanks to you all !
Diaper genie works well if you have paper products or wipes that can't flush. A couple of updated models and brands at Amazon and Walmart on line

Try recycling those plastic bags that you get your groceries packed in. Almost everyone I know has a drawer so full of them that it can’t be shut. Once a day put a fresh bag in each garbage container by each commode. Just make sure that the bag hasn’t ripped as they sometimes do. Toss the used ones into the big can outside. Sanitation is beyond critical right now. Disposable is a good thing. And toss your plastic gloves or scrub your hands really well after changing them out.

The supply chain all kinds of screwed up. We are trying to catch up. The warehouses are short staffed as the grocery stores try to get cleaned and stocked overnight. Most 24 hour stores are not open at night now . Hang in there !! Keep trying !! Be safe and well ! ! MOO
Paper products are not as big a priority as dairy, meat and produce . It's taking a while for bakery to catch up as well.

Good morning to all from the West Texas desert. We are all well here. Same paper goods, cleaning supplies, eggs, any forms of vegetables shortages, continue as before..... Home schooling and yard work await my wife and I here....But first a little more coffee..... Yall stay safe today.......:)..........yourdeplorabletexasrednecktrophyhusbandreportercody22..........moo

Good morning to all from the West Texas desert. We are all well here. Same paper goods, cleaning supplies, eggs, any forms of vegetables shortages, continue as before..... Home schooling and yard work await my wife and I here....But first a little more coffee..... Yall stay safe today.......:)..........yourdeplorabletexasrednecktrophyhusbandreportercody22..........moo

Well I just downed 3 cups of coffee and ate 2 pieces of Chocolate pie to sweeten myself up.
I am shivering with chills and I am super grouchy. Need to concentrate on work but my mind is all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77