Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good example of a non essential journey.

Driver stopped on lockdown trip with wife in boot

A driver flouted the coronavirus lockdown to pick up £15 windows with his wife in the boot of his car.

The man, who had bought the windows on eBay, was stopped by police on the M6 in Cheshire on Sunday after collecting his purchase in Salford.

Police said his wife had to sit in the boot as she "could not fit in the vehicle" for the return journey to Coventry.

North West Motorway Police issued the man with a traffic offence report.

More at link.

Me getting up at 8:59am for the big commute to work to the spare room and the 9am start

If this pandemic makes us see how many people can effectively work from home, then we can make a huge step in cleaning up the planet. People might be happier, healthier and safer if they don't have to make ridiculous commutes each day to do work that they can do equally well from home.

nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/03/579454/sos-bolivia

Asked what options they had to leave Bolivia, be it by land or air, Tee Wan said Covid-19 cases had been reported in South America and many countries, including Bolivia, had closed their borders and imposed restrictions similar to the MCO, or stricter, to combat the outbreak.

“Yes, unfortunately for everyone, Covid-19 is already here. Travel via land is no longer possible as Bolivia and neighbouring Peru, Chile and Brazil have closed their borders.

“A chartered flight will cost us approximately US$260,000, and this is only to get us from here to Sao Paolo in Brazil. The El Alto airport here in La Paz is still operating, but there are no international flights in or out.”

Do you recall the how the "Ruby Princess" managed to disembark 2,700 passengers in Sydney Australia, some showing symptoms of Covid, with absolutely no screening or even mention of quarantine. About 900 were international travellers. It was the biggest, single source of infection in Australia.

I live on a remote island in northern Ontario. Our first two positives cases were announced last night - two passengers who had been onboard the Ruby Princess. Who would have thought that our first cases would come from the other side of the planet.

I was just reading about these 2 new cases. I wonder how many other Canadians were on that ship and hope they are all following the 14 day isolation - but they still would have crossed a lot of paths en route home, scary.

An Australian astrophysicist has been admitted to hospital after getting four magnets stuck up his nose in an attempt to invent a device that stops people touching their faces during the coronavirus outbreak.

Dr Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at Melbourne’s Swinburne University, was building a necklace that sounds an alarm on facial contact, when the mishap occurred on Thursday night.

The 27 year-old astrophysicist, who studies pulsars and gravitational waves, said he was trying to liven up the boredom of self-isolation with the four powerful neodymium magnets.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

I haven't seen this posted yet but another cruise ship potential disaster. A ship unloaded it's passengers earlier in March in Miami, leaving just the crew on board. Since then, apparently a number of crew have gotten sick and tested positive for covid-19. But even worse, they released a lot of the crew and they were sent back to a variety of their home countries. I follow a youtuber who is a crew member and he left the ship in Miami and traveled to his home in the UK in the past few days.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241598366.html
Oasis of the Seas 14 Crew Members test positive for Covid-19 | Crew Center

Do you recall the how the "Ruby Princess" managed to disembark 2,700 passengers in Sydney Australia, some showing symptoms of Covid, with absolutely no screening or even mention of quarantine. About 900 were international travellers. It was the biggest, single source of infection in Australia.

I live on a remote island in northern Ontario. Our first two positives cases were announced last night - two passengers who had been onboard the Ruby Princess. Who would have thought that our first cases would come from the other side of the planet.
diabolical musical joke.
at that very moment in nsw (Sydney) the hospitality industry where shutting up axing staff like no tomorrow all the while the levels of government where shifting accountability for that ship disembarkment.
why??
because look whats happening now. better late than never all international disembarkments are being quarantined in 5 star hotels at the cost of the fed government and what are we seeing....
whinging whinging and more whinging.
these people have to suck it up and be grateful if they walk out of these quarantines having not contracted the virus.
Its their part. it isn't forever.

but thats why imo the authorities were so slow to make compulsory isolation.
frightened of people whinging,

people will whinge. no matter whats going on. the greater good of everyone is far more relevant.

moo

I completely understand this new USA directive.
But, awake at 2:20 am, it still feels like being hit by a sledgehammer.
Not just for us, but for our employees.
America is going to need more then one $1,200.00 per person lifeline check.
Here is California, where we have millions of illegal aliens living here who will not be receiving a lifeline check I have no idea what they are going to do.
Desperation is a terrible thing.
I worry about this too.
I hate this scourge that has been unleashed upon our world and the suffering it is about to unleash upon us all.
I just feel so helpless right now.
I'm glad you are all here.

I like the benefit of knowing who has it and where to stay away from.

My husband was wondering if any of the 19 cases in our county are in our town and where they work, etc...which we’ll probably never know. I told him “Let’s just assume everyone has it.” He’s the one who goes to the store or gets takeout from local restaurants while I stay home. I think from now on he just needs to wear the gloves I bought and an N-95 mask leftover from wildfire smoke previous summers. Maybe I’ll write on it “We bought this in 2018 for smoke” so no one will give him the side eye. :D

These prisoners being released make me physically ill and scared.

Also: (@10ofRods asked me about these cases.)

The Indianapolis man was released on his own recognizance March 6, he has diabetes. No bail! He is charged with breaking into a home and shooting a woman and her 13 year old son multiple times in the head and limbs.

He can be seen on the victim’s doorbell surveillance camera laughing.

His trial has been postponed indefinitely because of Coronavirus.

There are countless other murderers and rapists seeking early release because of coronavirus fears, too many to list. We shall see how many get released.

Prosecutors ask judge to reconsider release of double murder defendant

diabolical musical joke.
at that very moment in nsw (Sydney) the hospitality industry where shutting up axing staff like no tomorrow all the while the levels of government where shifting accountability for that ship disembarkment.
why??
because look whats happening now. better late than never all international disembarkments are being quarantined in 5 star hotels at the cost of the fed government and what are we seeing....
whinging whinging and more whinging.
these people have to suck it up and be grateful if they walk out of these quarantines having not contracted the virus.
Its their part. it isn't forever.

but thats why imo the authorities were so slow to make compulsory isolation.
frightened of people whinging,

people will whinge. no matter whats going on. the greater good of everyone is far more relevant.

moo

Oh the whingeing happening down here (in Australia) from these people! And there's even a celebrity that has come out complaining about her mother in quarantine. And have you noticed many of them will complain....then follow with a quick 'but we understand why'. Well, if you understand why, you would think of all those children who don't want to lose their grandparents, all those immuno-compromised individuals who want to live another year, all those young healthy kids and adults who have their lives ahead of them, and all those adults in their 30's, 40's, 50's and so on who are doing the right thing and just want to go to get their essential shopping or medications without fear of running into someone who decided their need for 'sunshine' and 'gourmet food' was more important than protecting the community. There have already been deaths in all of these groups of people BECAUSE people who were on similar ships did the wrong thing. As one reporter said today, it's because you can't be trusted to do the right thing.

An Australian astrophysicist has been admitted to hospital after getting four magnets stuck up his nose in an attempt to invent a device that stops people touching their faces during the coronavirus outbreak.

Dr Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at Melbourne’s Swinburne University, was building a necklace that sounds an alarm on facial contact, when the mishap occurred on Thursday night.

The 27 year-old astrophysicist, who studies pulsars and gravitational waves, said he was trying to liven up the boredom of self-isolation with the four powerful neodymium magnets.

That's one of the best news articles I have ever read!

Coronavirus: Stars of Contagion movie dish out COVID-19 advice

Stars of the movie Contagion have issued a series of public service announcements urging people to wash their hands and practice social distancing.

Kate Winslet, Matt Damon and Laurence Fishburne are among the actors taking part in the virtual reunion, filming themselves sharing evidence-based information about COVID-19.

Working with scientists from the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, they hope to dispel misinformation and fake news around the pandemic.

The actors spent time with some of the most important public health officials in the world while preparing for their roles in the 2011 thriller.

Good morning everyone. We made it through another week! I am getting used to the emotional rollercoaster that is our new normal - the little victories (I secured another supermarket delivery slot for my Dad!) seem so much bigger than they ever did before the world tilted...
On my gratitude list today - opened the shed door this morning and found a box. Hot cross buns! Coconut milk! Passata! An order I’d placed back in February and promptly forgotten about, it was delivered well before 6am this morning.
Stay safe today ❤️

Thank you LB! This was needed! A few moments of LOL this Monday morning while I enjoy my morning cup of coffee before starting the day. Was an eye opener this morning as I just started catching up on this page and will go back a little to see which posts I missed from yesterday evening.

A reminder to us all, be careful while socially disengaging, we don't want to end up at the hospital for an accident we've created ourselves out of boredom.

Unbelievable what people will do for the sake of science and humanity. Bless him.

First post on this thread.

F1 team helps to create coronavirus breathing aid

_111467245_1.jpg
Image copyrightJAMES TYE/UCL
Image captionCPAP devices are less invasive than a ventilator
A breathing aid that can help keep coronavirus patients out of intensive care has been created in under a week.

University College London engineers worked with clinicians at UCLH and Mercedes Formula One to build the device, which delivers oxygen to the lungs without needing a ventilator.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices are already used in hospitals but are in short supply.

China and Italy used them to help Covid-19 patients.

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has already given its approval for their use.

More at link

US hospital have used BIPAP (more sophisticated CPAP) since early 2000 as an alternate form of ventilation.

BIPAP ventilation must be used in the early stages of care. A mask is used and a tracheostomy is not needed. The machines have greatly improved every year, with more features to assist with breathing. Once patient hits critical stage BIPAPs will not effectively ventilate patients. I had the opportunity to work with one of the best pulmonologist in the first stages of these experiments.

I put a call into my EMDirector last week to start rounding up the 100s if not thousands in my community, not in use. CPAP and BIPAP therapy have a medium to high level of non compliance. Insurance companies purchases for patients due to low cost and hundreds are sitting in closets and basements.

The good news ...we have thousands in the US. Sleep labs, out patient surgery, hospitals, home medical equipment companies and most all manufactures of home medical equipment now have a "house" brand.

Glad to see even more advancement in the use of non invasive ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305