Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Athena is doing great! She’s such a quiet dog and is going to make a fabulous pet for someone. Her skin is healing well, she’s happy to zoom around the backyard, loves lying in a sunbeam, and now that she’s spayed, she gets to live a life of retirement.

We took a drive to see how she’d do traveling. Of course she did perfect, let me know when she needed to potty.

The shelter is still closed but I see them updating their FB page. They were able to get every animal in a home prior to being shut down.

Awww... I got teary eyed. I know she is so grateful to you.

Blessings ..

MAINE

March 30 morning update: The latest on the coronavirus and Maine
As of Sunday, there are now 253 confirmed cases of the coronavirus spread across 12 Maine counties, according to the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

[...]

— The Maine CDC will provide an update on the coronavirus at 11:30 a.m. The BDN will livestream the briefing.

— The Maine CDC is investigating the possibility of “community transmission” of the coronavirus in Penobscot County after cases there doubled to more than 10 over the weekend. ...

— A spokesman for Hannaford said Sunday that two workers at Scarborough and Oxford supermarkets have tested positive for the coronavirus. The spokesman, Eric Blom, said neither worker had been to work in several days.

[...]

— Terry Dinkins, the founder of the Mansion Church on Center Street, which is dedicated to helping the city’s most needy residents, is calling on other houses of worship to open their doors overnight to 10 homeless people each since area shelters have limited the number of people they can take in due to the coronavirus pandemic.

[...]

Also: (@10ofRods asked me about these cases.)

The Indianapolis man was released on his own recognizance March 6, he has diabetes. No bail! He is charged with breaking into a home and shooting a woman and her 13 year old son multiple times in the head and limbs.

He can be seen on the victim’s doorbell surveillance camera laughing.

His trial has been postponed indefinitely because of Coronavirus.

There are countless other murderers and rapists seeking early release because of coronavirus fears, too many to list. We shall see how many get released.

Prosecutors ask judge to reconsider release of double murder defendant

I can't understand so many being released. Adding to the problem IMO

MAINE

March 30 morning update: The latest on the coronavirus and Maine
As of Sunday, there are now 253 confirmed cases of the coronavirus spread across 12 Maine counties, according to the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

[...]

— The Maine CDC will provide an update on the coronavirus at 11:30 a.m. The BDN will livestream the briefing.

— The Maine CDC is investigating the possibility of “community transmission” of the coronavirus in Penobscot County after cases there doubled to more than 10 over the weekend. ...

— A spokesman for Hannaford said Sunday that two workers at Scarborough and Oxford supermarkets have tested positive for the coronavirus. The spokesman, Eric Blom, said neither worker had been to work in several days.

[...]

— Terry Dinkins, the founder of the Mansion Church on Center Street, which is dedicated to helping the city’s most needy residents, is calling on other houses of worship to open their doors overnight to 10 homeless people each since area shelters have limited the number of people they can take in due to the coronavirus pandemic.

[...]
Oh nooo....I am so worried about Maine. My niece is an RN in a Maine hospital and she is pregnant with her 1st child.

She is very torn right now---trying to decide if she should self quarantine in her last trimester, for fear of catching the virus, as little is known about what happens to babies in utero who are infected.

She said she feels guilty about leaving her job when she is so needed---but I tried to be supportive, it's her decision if she decides to quarantine....and it is totally understandable because she is responsible for her baby too....It's such a hard time for so many people right now...:(...

NYT National News
@NYTNational

U.S. health insurance premiums could increase as much as 40% next year if the coronavirus pandemic results in millions of Americans needing hospital stays, a new analysis warns

I will not be surprised. I pay a huge amount each month and maybe go to the doctor once a year.

The FDA has approved an Ohio company, Batelle, to use its technology to sterilize 80,000 surgical masks a day, and Batelle will send machines with this technology to New York state and other hot spots, as well as sterilize surgical masks in Ohio.

Governor DeWine, Lt. Governor Husted Thank FDA for Approal of Use of Battelle Technology
(COLUMBUS, Ohio)— Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and Lt. Governor Jon Husted today thanked President Trump and Commissioner Stephen Hahn, M.D. of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the full approval of the use of new technology to sterilize desperately-needed surgical masks in Ohio and other parts of the United States.

The FDA has authorized Columbus-based Battelle to deploy its groundbreaking technology to sterilize surgical masks without a daily limit, which will allow Battelle to operate at its desired capacity. The Battelle Critical Care Decontamination System is capable of decontaminating up to 80,000 respirator masks per system each day.

"I want to thank President Trump for his leadership and Dr. Hahn of the FDA for approving the use of this life-saving technology that Battelle has developed," said Ohio Governor Mike DeWine. "This will not only help Ohio's healthcare workers on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis, but Battelle will also be helping health care workers in hot spots throughout the country including New York and Washington state."

“We‘re grateful that the President and the FDA moved quickly to help us get this solution back up and running,” said Lt. Governor Jon Husted. “This Ohio-driven solution has the potential to save lives now and in the future across the United States.”

In addition to offering this technology in Ohio, Battelle intends to send one machine to New York City and one to Stony Brook, New York, which will provide for the sterilization of up to 160,000 surgical masks for New York's healthcare workers each day. Machines will also be dispatched to the state of Washington.

Battelle plans to ship four more units elsewhere in the United States next week and 15 additional machines in the coming weeks.

Coronavirus: How lockdowns have caused drop in air pollution across the world

Air pollution appears to have decreased in urban areas across the world as cities continue to be locked down to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

In Europe, cities including Brussels, Paris, Madrid, Milan and Frankfurt showed a reduction in average levels of noxious nitrogen dioxide from 5 to 25 March, compared with the same period last year, according to new satellite images.

The images, released by the European Space Agency, show the changing density of nitrogen dioxide, a harmful gas emitted when fossil fuels are burnt at high temperatures, most commonly at power plants and in motor vehicles.

Formula 1 engine manufacturer Mercedes has teamed up with clinicians and university engineers in London to design a breathing aid for coronavirus patients that can be quickly mass produced, a development that could help reduce the need for ventilators.

The Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device, which was re-engineered from an existing device in fewer than 100 hours, has been recommended for use by the UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, according to a statement from University College London (UCL), which worked on the project.

F1 Mercedes team made a breathing aid for coronavirus with UCL in less than 100 hours - CNN

Last edited:
Oh nooo....I am so worried about Maine. My niece is an RN in a Maine hospital and she is pregnant with her 1st child.

She is very torn right now---trying to decide if she should self quarantine in her last trimester, for fear of catching the virus, as little is known about what happens to babies in utero who are infected.

She said she feels guilty about leaving her job when she is so needed---but I tried to be supportive, it's her decision if she decides to quarantine....and it is totally understandable because she is responsible for her baby too....It's such a hard time for so many people right now...:(...
Has she been working up until now? I don't believe anyone would fault her for leaving the job at this time. She's not just looking out for herself. Nothing she's not aware of, I'm sure.

So stressful for everyone, especially hard to be an aunt and hold back the advice you want to give her, and to be far away.

My daughter had her first (and only) child 3 years ago, and he was born in Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. We rushed up from SouthJersey on the train and then a taxi to wait for him to be born. When I see the photos of beds in the lobby there and hear of the staff who are infected and have passed away, it takes me back there, and I'm just grateful that she is not about to give birth now.

Just being pregnant enough to worry about. But pregnant and working the "front lines?" I can't even imagine. My heart goes out to you.

Behrooz Hassani-M
@behrooz_hm

#COVID19 trends for US counties with > 1000 reported cases. X-axis since the 100th cases was reported. Y-axis is logged. The trends are impacted by testing practices and policies. We are reporting on all US states and their per capita performance here: https://behroozh.shinyapps.io/COVID19/

EUWXMWRUMAAjmA0

Up to 10 percent of recovered coronavirus patients test positive again, report says

Doctors on the front lines of the outbreak in Wuhan, China — where the virus emerged — reported that between 3 and 10% of cured patients became reinfected with the illness, though it’s unclear whether they were contagious the second time, the South China Morning Post reported.

Tongji Hospital, which identified the first COVID-19 case, confirmed that five of 145 patients — a little over 3% — tested positive again in nucleic acid tests, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

“So far there is no evidence to suggest that they are infectious,” said Wang Wei, the hospital’s president.

He said the five patients who tested positive again did not have any symptoms and none of their close contacts had been infected.

Families First Conavirus Response Act:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/article241611201.html

"On March 18, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the “Act”) was passed and signed into law. The Act, which applies to employers with fewer than 500 employees, provides for employer-paid for leave for workers who need to take time off of work due to events caused by the outbreak of COVID-19 in the United States. There are two paid leave provisions of the Act: the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act and the Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act. The law goes into effect on April 1 and will completely expire on Dec. 31."

More at link above

and here too:
https://appropriations.house.gov/sites/democrats.appropriations.house.gov/files/Families First summary.pdf

here is the legislative document in full:
Text - H.R.6201 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Families First Coronavirus Response Act

Last edited:
Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
Useful primer on the benefits of masks. A recommendation from CDC for consumers to wear cotton masks (with guidelines on how to fashion these products from household items) can improve safety and reduce spread and not strain the hospital supply chain.
11:06 PM - 29 Mar 2020

COVID-19: WHY WE SHOULD ALL WEAR MASKS  — THERE IS NEW SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE
The official recommendation in the United States (and other Western countries) that the public should not wear face masks was motivated by the need to save respirator masks for health care workers. There is no scientific support for the statement that masks worn by non-professionals are “not effective”. In contrary, in view of the stated goal to “flatten the curve”, any additional, however partial reduction of transmission would be welcome — even by surgical masks or home-made (DIY) masks, which would not exacerbate the supply problem. The latest biological findings on SARS-Cov-2 viral entry into human tissue and cough-droplet ballistics suggest that the major transmission mechanism are not fine aerosols but large droplets, and thus, warrant the wearing of surgical masks by everyone.

1*m_a-cX7BpzAOg5YpyDa_ZA.png

[...]

This is a great article on describing how the coronavirus bonds with ACE2 proteins and that ACE2 is expresssed at higher levels in the elderly. Also that ventilation can increase the expression of ACE2.

Also the importance of wearing masks - surgical or home made - to help flatten the curve.

Thanks for posting this, Pommy Mommy.

The FDA has approved an Ohio company, Batelle, to use its technology to sterilize 80,000 surgical masks a day, and Batelle will send machines with this technology to New York state and other hot spots, as well as sterilize surgical masks in Ohio.

Governor DeWine, Lt. Governor Husted Thank FDA for Approal of Use of Battelle Technology
(COLUMBUS, Ohio)— Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and Lt. Governor Jon Husted today thanked President Trump and Commissioner Stephen Hahn, M.D. of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the full approval of the use of new technology to sterilize desperately-needed surgical masks in Ohio and other parts of the United States.

The FDA has authorized Columbus-based Battelle to deploy its groundbreaking technology to sterilize surgical masks without a daily limit, which will allow Battelle to operate at its desired capacity. The Battelle Critical Care Decontamination System is capable of decontaminating up to 80,000 respirator masks per system each day.

"I want to thank President Trump for his leadership and Dr. Hahn of the FDA for approving the use of this life-saving technology that Battelle has developed," said Ohio Governor Mike DeWine. "This will not only help Ohio's healthcare workers on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis, but Battelle will also be helping health care workers in hot spots throughout the country including New York and Washington state."

“We‘re grateful that the President and the FDA moved quickly to help us get this solution back up and running,” said Lt. Governor Jon Husted. “This Ohio-driven solution has the potential to save lives now and in the future across the United States.”

In addition to offering this technology in Ohio, Battelle intends to send one machine to New York City and one to Stony Brook, New York, which will provide for the sterilization of up to 160,000 surgical masks for New York's healthcare workers each day. Machines will also be dispatched to the state of Washington.

Battelle plans to ship four more units elsewhere in the United States next week and 15 additional machines in the coming weeks.
The other day Dr Acton said Ohio hospitals had been saving and storing their used masks waiting for the FDA approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie