Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of the diary. On the other hand, the description of your daughter’s struggle makes me so sad for her and how long this virus will affect the psyche. I also love how you rethink your words for your adult children and their needs. Your daughter is one lucky girl !!
Thanks @Scoutce, yes... Chin up!
Now, I am also coping with my own 78yo mother who wants to deny this is serious. She just sold her house in Florida and moved into my spare bedroom. The virus was not part of her plan. One day she cries and the next day she wants to fly to Illinois to be with her sisters. I'm trying to keep her realistic but positive. That's tough too.
Take care of your own now and stay well~
jmo

Yes, I'd like to know too. I sanitize my keys, key FOB, everything I touched as soon as I get home.
You all are so wonderfully diligent. We don't sanitize/wipe anything we bring home from the store, and I feel we are idiots for not doing that. Husband is the shopper and I've been staying home. He IS careful and uses his hand sanitizer and cleans off the grocery cart handles and keeps his distance from others, but..... We shall try to change our ways and love everyone's tips and procedures :)

Thank you. You explained it so eloquently. The way you described your daughter is exactly how my son is and what I’m seeing in him. I’ve raised him alone since he was 2 and we’ve been through quite a bit. His Dad loves him but doesn’t accept who he is so therefore there is no relationship there. We have no family anywhere near us so I’m all he has. Anyway, thank you again for your post. I don’t post much because I’ve always been a math/numbers person and horrible at writing.
I connected with that mother love I heard in your post "voice" Backstroke10! You expressed your relationship with your son beautifully. Everyone I am close to is experiencing this differently. I heard it described somewhere that we all have different "fear levels" and so it is very individual in response. I'm finding it important to respect everyone's unique situation.

jmo

That's good. The virus survives on us. If we separate, then when the virus needs a new host it dies, the infected person recovers and there's no where to go.

If the first case in Detroit was March 10, fast forward 2 weeks to see what was going on 2 weeks ago. An explosion of cases today probably means that the virus was community transmission 2 weeks ago. If nothing has changed in the last 2 weeks, it's going to get worse fast.

International airports in Canadian cities have been considered as a reason for higher rates of infection in the those communities.

Has anything changed in Detroit in the last two weeks regarding closures, essential services and isolation?
BBM
Also, many infected persons eventually die. The virus also dies with them. So when enough people recover and enough people die, the infection curve starts to come down.
IMO

Last edited:
Anyone else not eating? I noticed it has been coming on the past week. Nothing sounds good. I would rather sleep through lunch than bother with it. I need to lose weight, so maybe this is a good thing.

I think it’s soooo important and helpful to sleep. The only thing is sometimes this is on my mind as I’m sleeping too, and I want to jump up and check the internet...I don’t always sleep well. But when I do get good rest it makes all the difference. I’ve been trying cut out my all-nighters here and SLEEP.

Remember Siesta is now officially legal too. I declared it earlier.

(Why we need to wear masks which most of us don't have)

Coronavirus could be airborne, study suggests
Researchers, looking to better understand viral shedding and how it related to the novel virus, took air and surface samples from 11 patients’ rooms during the initial isolation of 13 people who tested positive for COVID-19. The researchers found virus genetic material on commonly used items such as toilets, but also in air samples, thus indicating that “SARS-CoV-2 is widely disseminated in the environment.” SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus that causes COVID-19.

Not only was the virus detected within COVID-19 patients’ rooms, “air samplers from hallways outside of rooms where [the] staff was moving in and out of doors were also positive,” they wrote.

Thanks marking for after WHO conferences. I can’t get behind!!

Oh one thing, Doc T talked so much about the value of “investing in the epicenter” in Wuhan when this all first started. I’m taking that forward as we look at our epicenters and emerging epicenters in the US.

Also, Dr. Mike said, “...nobody is safe until everybody is safe...”

Even though I may be in an area that may not be as highly affected as NY at the moment knock on wood, I 100% believe NY needs to get all the help and access to all of resources that they can—there shouldn’t be these States competing—-

Situations will be different in different places at different times, and based on what I’ve learned, it’s very important for resources to go to these areas and “cut it from the bud” as Doc T says, go in on that target moo.

Cuomo also talked about this with asking for help from health workers in other States, if they’re not too busy themselves. That was a great conference today.

Last edited:
Weren't hospitals and clinics supposed to be keeping their own stockpiles on hand, in case of an emergency like this?
And weren't State Health Departments and Governors supposed to do the same, in order to help their hospitals in times like this?

I don't see why us local citizens should be prevented from protecting ourselves from harm, just because these hospital admins and County Health Departments FAILED to be responsible themselves.
BBM

In a perfect world everyone (including the CDC, Homeland Security, and any other federal agency with power, plus state and local governments) would have listened to Bill Gates and others who predicted this kind of pandemic and made sure federal, state and local governments and hospitals were building up supplies. I firmly believe this should have happened. They had ample warning if they had listened.

But “an emergency like this” and “times like this” are unprecedented and very few believed a pandemic like this would happen. Even when Wuhan was first on the radar in January, plenty in our government believed it wouldn’t happen here, as did some on these threads. So while I get your frustration, I’m more frustrated on behalf of those on the frontlines who don’t have masks or gloves because of poor planning by higher ups. Even some that were stockpiled have been held up because they are “outdated”! I would rather make do if necessary so that those on the front lines get what they need. And I hope all levels of government and healthcare administrators have learned their lesson! :mad:

You were smart to get a small supply March 1 when you visited your Mom. The government would have been very unlikely to confiscate any masks and gloves we had for personal use in order to supply hospitals if they had invoked War Powers. And quite frankly, IMO all of us who live in CA, OR, or WA where wildfires are common ought to have a small supply of N-95 masks and gloves in our go-bags, even in urban areas. Really, that should be true of every go-bag in this country. There will be times, like right now, when we can’t depend on our governments to take care of us. We may be on our own in any disaster and need to be prepared to take care of ourselves and our loved ones for more than a few days.
So I hope we have learned a lesson also.
JMO

Last edited:
New Jersey:

NJ Coronavirus: 3,347 New Cases, 37 Die In Highest 1-Day Toll

Updated Mar 30, 2020 4:30 pm ET

BBM:

“Murphy said New Jersey had 3,347 new cases on Monday, raising the state's case total to 16,636. Thirty-seven more people died, raising the state's total to 198.

"I shudder to think what these numbers would be if we hadn't taken the strong stance in terms of social distancing," he said.”

—-

N.J. car dealers, real estate agents, breweries get coronavirus clarification. But forget golfing, Murphy says.

—-

Murphy: New Jersey gun stores will be allowed to reopen

—-

New Jersey Charged People Under Coronavirus Laws For Throwing Weddings, Parties — And Molotov Cocktails

—-

New Jersey doctor gives update on use of hydroxychloroquine, remdesivir on coronavirus patients

—-

Coronavirus in NJ: Police pull over school bus suspected of carrying students from Lakewood

Last edited:
We are now up to 21 positives in Humboldt county, Ca. The latest is community spread. Now I'm kind of scared. We have enough food for awhile but sadly I'm a smoker. I'm running out and I'm afraid to go out to get more. Any tips for cold turkey quitting smoking overnight?? :)

Your county and mine are neck-and-neck @Squinchy. We hit 20 this morning. I imagine most of yours are community spread. Only our first two were travelers as was your first one.

Smoking! I quit many times back in the day. Finally it stuck in 1972 because I made a firm decision to do it (not because I was afraid to go out to get more :)). So it kind of depends on if y0u are quitting until you can get more or if you want to quit permanently. If it’s temporary, chewing and eating help. If you want to do it permanently, I think making a pro and con list for quitting is helpful. I’m sure you’ll come up with more pros than cons. Beyond that, perseverance and prayer help. Hang in there!

I'm going with CDC's 'future' recommendation since no one really knows who has been infected. WHO's recommendation (wear masks if you are sick or if you're caring for someone who is sick) scares me. I'd bet that a lot of sick people don't wear masks, either knowingly or unknowingly, or they just don't own masks to wear.

We are too...or I should say my dh is since he goes out. We stuck with the “no mask” recommendation, even though we have some N-95s for wildfire smoke...trying to do our part for our healthcare pros. I even offered ours to a nurse friend, but she declined. But as cases increase in my county, I think we have to view everyone as if they are contagious. So now it’s gloves and a mask every time my dh goes out. Fortunately, he sees the importance too.

ETA: A friend told me tonight that her Dad and brother who live in my town were both very sick with a cough in February. She wondered if they maybe had COVID-19. I’d have to go back and dig to find out when our county had its first to cases (travelers), but who knows? All the more reason to think it’s well established here.

Last edited:
We are too...or I should say my dh is since he goes out. We stuck with the “no mask” recommendation, even though we have some N-95s for wildfire smoke...trying to do our part for our healthcare pros. I even offered ours to a nurse friend, but she declined. But as cases increase in my county, I think we have to view everyone as if they are contagious. So now it’s gloves and a mask every time my dh goes out. Fortunately, he sees the importance too.

ETA: A friend told me tonight that her Dad and brother who live in my town were both very sick with a cough in February. She wondered if they maybe had COVID-19. I’d have to go back and dig to find out when our county had its first to cases (travelers), but who knows? All the more reason to think it’s well established here.
Yes, assume everyone is contagious. Assume everything is contaminated with virus. Not a good or fun way to live. It's torture. I can't wait for this whole nightmare to be over so I can get my life back.

Amazon fires warehouse worker who led Staten Island strike for more coronavirus protection
UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

• “Amazon confirmed to CNBC that it fired Chris Smalls, a warehouse worker who organized a strike at its Staten Island facility on Monday.
  • The company said it fired Smalls after he “received multiple warnings for violating social distancing guidelines.”
  • Smalls and other employees walked out to call attention to the lack of protective measures for workers. They’re also urging Amazon to close the facility after a worker tested positive for the coronavirus. Organizers put the number of strikers around 50, while Amazon said it was less than 15.”

—-

Amazon fires warehouse worker who led Staten Island warehouse walkout - CNN
Updated 2:13 AM ET, Tue March 31, 2020

Amazon has terminated an employee based in the company's Staten Island, New York, warehouse after heparticipated in a worker walkout protesting the company's response to the novel coronavirus.

Amazon (AMZN) confirmed the firing Monday night, telling CNN Business in a statement that the employee, Christian Smalls, was supposed to be under quarantine.
"Mr. Smalls was found to have had close contact with a diagnosed associate with a confirmed case of COVID-19 and was asked to remain home with pay for 14 days, which is a measure we're taking at sites around the world," said Amazon spokesperson Kristen Kish. "Despite that instruction to stay home with pay, he came onsite today, March 30, putting the teams at risk."

[...]

“Monday's protest saw more than a dozen people walk off the job at around lunchtime, according to Amazon and a livestream of the event viewed by CNN.”

——

NPR
Amazon, Instacart Grocery Delivery Workers Demand Coronavirus Protection And Pay

“Workers at Amazon's Staten Island facility have said that multiple people at the warehouse have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Some of them plan to walk off the job on Monday to pressure the company to close the warehouse for an extended deep cleaning.

At Amazon, which employs some 800,000 people, workers have diagnosed positively for COVID-19 in at least 11 warehouses, forcing a prolonged closure of at least one warehouse in Kentucky. The company says it has "taken extreme measures to keep people safe," including allowing unlimited unpaid leave time for employees who feel uncomfortable working.”

Last edited:
A lot of things are making me tear up lately. I probably need one massive cry. Instead, it’s trickling out here and there a bit at a time.

I completely identify with this. I tear up at nearly every news report. I tear up thinking of people who have to cope with their loved ones dying. I tear up at stupid things like securing a supermarket delivery slot for my Dad. What I haven’t done is get it all out in one cry-fest.

For me, it was:

Week 1: Eating huge amounts of ice cream and tator tots, drank a bunch of beer, gained weight

Week 2: Loss of appetite -lost weight

Week 3: Loss of appetite - lost weight

Week 4: Better appetite but still minimal - weight stabilized.

For me, Weeks 1 and 2 resulted in a 6lb weight loss and a constant feeling of nausea.
Week 3, I ate allllllll the quarantine snacks.
Week 4, minimal appetite but when I do eat, I’m craving sweet sugary comfort food.

Hi guys hope this is ok to ask here but I’m in the UK and my partner works for a small business, he started with a persistent cough and body aches last Tuesday and stayed off work last week. Every single day his boss rang to see if he was going in and yesterday he said ‘you’ll be fine once you’re here’ he’s told them he’s been advised to self isolate for 14 days but they don’t seem to be taking this very seriously. He’s just gone in still coughing, sneezing and headache, I told him to just stay at home but he’s worried his boss will end up replacing him. I have a weakened immune system and almost died from septic shock we also have 3 young children and I’m worried we are all going to be at risk now he’s going to and from work. Could they actually get rid of him if he’s self isolating I’m so worried! Thank you

Coronavirus safety drives strikes at Amazon, Instacart and Whole Foods
Updated 6 hours ago
•video at link

BBM:

“After a month of frenzied shopping, stay-at-home measures and the escalation of the coronavirus crisis, the pressure cooker of the workplace appears ready to boil over.”

“Fears of contamination and risk also led to as many as 150,000 workers for grocery delivery service Instacart to execute a nationwide strike on Monday. Their action got wide support on Twitter from notables such as Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., and concerned consumers such as Ifeanyi Ezeh, a computing engineer living near Columbia, Maryland.

"I support all workers who are risking their health to help save lives during this crisis," he tweeted with the hashtags #InstacartStrike and #AmazonStrike. "Thanks to these brave people, many families like mine are able to stay home safe with our families."”

—-

Amazon, Instacart Grocery Delivery Workers Demand Coronavirus Protection And Pay
March 30, 20208:47 AM

“Some Amazon warehouse workers in Staten Island, N.Y., and Instacart's grocery delivery workers nationwide walked off their jobs on Monday. They are demanding stepped-up protection and pay as they continue to work while much of the country is asked to isolate as a safeguard against the coronavirus.

The protests come as both Amazon and Instacart have said they plan to hire tens of thousands of new workers. Online shopping and grocery home delivery are skyrocketing as much of the nation hunkers down and people stay at home, following orders and recommendations from the federal and local governments.

This has put a spotlight on workers who shop, pack and deliver these high-demand supplies. Companies refer to the workers as "heroes," but workers say their employers aren't doing enough to keep them safe.”

—-

“"I touch over 2,000 different items every day I work there. I have to grab products out of the shelf and put them in the bins. ... And I'm not wearing any protection," said Terrell Worm, one of the thousands of workers at the Staten Island warehouse. "Amazon says we're all a family there. If they really saw us as family, they'd care about keeping us safe and keeping us home."

He says he left work last week an hour after learning of the first confirmed COVID-19 case in the facility, taking advantage of new unpaid leave. But he plans to return next week because he can't afford to remain unpaid.”

—-

Instacart wants to increase workers' tips ahead of workforce strike
Updated 10:17 a.m. MDT Mar. 30, 2020

“The grocery delivery company said Sunday it would distribute health and safety supplies to its full-service workers who gather food and other essentials at supermarkets, then drop them off at customers' homes. The company is also launching a new tip setting to help shoppers earn higher, more consistent tips.”

—-

Instacart workers strike, others demand more as coronavirus alters labor landscape

As large chunks of the American economy remain shut down and many businesses face an uncertain future, a new crop of winners and losers will emerge.

“The Silicon Valley upstart has more than 200,000 contracted workers making multiple trips to grocery stores and delivering items to people's homes.

The Instacart shoppers aren't alone in their efforts to win added benefits. Hundreds of Amazon warehouse workers in California's Inland Empire delivered a petition to their management team Sunday night demanding improved benefits, cleaner facilities and better notification as positive coronavirus cases continue to surface.

"The fact of the matter is we work with so many people every single day that we are in constant danger," according to the petition.”

—-

Previous reference:
Instacart workers to strike Monday over coronavirus health hazards
Updated 11:19 a.m. MDT Mar. 28, 2020

“More than 150,000 Instacart drivers and shoppers plan to walk off the job Monday until the company meets certain demands including an extra $5 per order in hazard pay, expanded pay for workers impacted by COVID-19, and the provision of safety supplies including disinfectant wipes.

"Instacart has refused to act proactively in the interests of its Shoppers, customers, and public health, so we are forced to take matters into our own hands," wrote Instacart Shoppers and Gig Workers Collective in a post on MediumFriday. "We will not continue to work under these conditions."”

Last edited:
We are now up to 21 positives in Humboldt county, Ca. The latest is community spread. Now I'm kind of scared. We have enough food for awhile but sadly I'm a smoker. I'm running out and I'm afraid to go out to get more. Any tips for cold turkey quitting smoking overnight?? :)
Yeah, don’t do it now.....lol.....I’m a chain smoker...sigh.....
Just glove up...bandana or mask your nose and mouth and go get enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74