Found Deceased AK - Jaxson Brown, 5, hiking w/mom, Ketchikan, 26 Mar 2020

Late to the party, but my two cents on this.

We went on a hike last summer in Humboldt, the hike was supposed to be a relatively easy five-mile. Long story short, we missed a trail turn (SIL insisted) and ended up on a much longer trail with major elevation changes. We all took turns carrying our five-year old granddaughter on our shoulders, as she pooped out pretty quick. Point is, we would have never chosen to take her on such a difficult hike. Her Mom or I would have stayed back and did something different to entertain her.

None of the details provided make sense in this case. Was it just poor judgement, or was there another motive? That's the real question. If I put myself in that position, I don't think I could leave my granddaughter. We either stay or leave together, that would be my instinct. Live or die ...

Late to the party, but my two cents on this.

We went on a hike last summer in Humboldt, the hike was supposed to be a relatively easy five-mile. Long story short, we missed a trail turn (SIL insisted) and ended up on a much longer trail with major elevation changes. We all took turns carrying our five-year old granddaughter on our shoulders, as she pooped out pretty quick. Point is, we would have never chosen to take her on such a difficult hike. Her Mom or I would have stayed back and did something different to entertain her.

None of the details provided make sense in this case. Was it just poor judgement, or was there another motive? That's the real question. If I put myself in that position, I don't think I could leave my granddaughter. We either stay or leave together, that would be my instinct. Live or die ...
Your golden question is BBM. While it’s sometimes tough to prove motive, I’m thinking at the bare minimum AK’s “criminally negligent homicide” charges apply here. Choices were not made with “reasonable care” & likely caused JB’s death. TOD & COD will point the way to the correct path for justice. Jmo
Alaska Manslaughter Laws - FindLaw.com

I agree! Broken ankle or not I’d drag myself to my child, assuming a mobile phone was unavailable which in itself is also strange to me. I haven’t seen any mention of a phone but if she was out there in the snow, with a child, in the dark, without a phone then that just throws up even more questions. I think I’d have to be completely physically incapacitated or passing out from blood loss or hypothermia before I’d leave my child alone in these conditions.
MOO

Yes it appears that she didn’t have any means of communication. Otherwise,she wouldn’t have had to leave her son behind and then lay there waiting to be discovered by the next random hiker after she broke her ankle.

The only reason I can think of to leave the phone behind would be if she didn’t want anyone to know where she went.

OK two reasons. If someone chased her out of the house or out of her vehicle and she ran off in a hurry I can say yes, she might not have a phone with her.

I have left the house without my phone on occasion. I always realized very quickly that it was gone and went right back for it.

Yes it appears that she didn’t have any means of communication. Otherwise,she wouldn’t have had to leave her son behind and then lay there waiting to be discovered by the next random hiker after she broke her ankle.

The only reason I can think of to leave the phone behind would be if she didn’t want anyone to know where she went.

OK two reasons. If someone chased her out of the house or out of her vehicle and she ran off in a hurry I can say yes, she might not have a phone with her.

I have left the house without my phone on occasion. I always realized very quickly that it was gone and went right back for it.
If she was familiar with the area she went hiking in, her phone would have been no help. I've seen posts by locals saying there is no cell service.

MOD NOTE:
UNTIL/UNLESS THERE IS A PERSON OF INTEREST NAMED IN THIS CASE, YOU MAY NOT SLEUTH ANYONE ON THIS THREAD.

As always, you may discuss such things in PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS/PRIVATE MESSAGES, but not here.

THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR BEST TO BE RESPECTFUL AND RESPONSIBLE MEMBERS OF WEBSLEUTHS.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Mos
If she was familiar with the area she went hiking in, her phone would have been no help. I've seen posts by locals saying there is no cell service.
most take a phone regardless for photos. 1,300 elevation gain is no joke! And hiking in snow you leave a trail of footprints to show how you got there....also I do not know of a five year old in the cold and dark that would sit and watch his parent walk away

Mos
most take a phone regardless for photos. 1,300 elevation gain is no joke! And hiking in snow you leave a trail of footprints to show how you got there....also I do not know of a five year old in the cold and dark that would sit and watch his parent walk away

This is what I keep thinking too. They’d follow behind slowly and whine or cry but no way would they just sit still up against a tree!!

I'll be watching this case. Certainly it could simply be a situation where poor decisions were made. Apparently the trail is classified as difficult so maybe the mom thought Jaxson could handle it but at age 36 it seems like she would have carefully thought it out before deciding to hike it.

I keep reading that his mom "significantly injured her leg." So it's unclear whether or not she actually broke an ankle. And as far as I know Jaxson's autopsy has not yet been reported.

Hopefully this was an accident due to not anticipating the dangers of hiking on this trail in poor conditions, in which case I am sorry for Jaxson and his mother.
Boy, 5, Found Dead 3 Days After Mom Tried to Find Help After They Got Lost on Hike
Boy, 5, found dead near an hiking trail in Alaska after mother said they got lost
Searchers find body of 5-year-old Ketchikan boy missing after hiking trip, troopers say

This is what I keep thinking too. They’d follow behind slowly and whine or cry but no way would they just sit still up against a tree!!
Agreed. ^^^

Sticking to the facts here... how was he dressed ?

Was it appropriate for a hike in freezing weather ?
And when found, was he sitting up against that tree ?
The mom could have covered him with her own jacket to help him stay warm ,maybe she did ?

Mos
During the hike, the pair became disoriented and lost the trail. They spent the night together. In the morning, Treat left Jaxson to seek help on her own, as he was reportedly tired and didn’t want to hike anymore. In her rush to find help, Treat reportedly tripped on a root and significantly injured her leg. Treat was found the following day and search and rescue efforts immediately began for Jaxson. Currently, approximately 20 ground searchers are out.
https://dailydispatch.dps.alaska.gov/Home/Display?dateReceived=3/28/2020 12:00:00 AM

Agreed. ^^^

Sticking to the facts here... how was he dressed ?

Was it appropriate for a hike in freezing weather ?
And when found, was he sitting up against that tree ?
The mom could have covered him with her own jacket to help him stay warm ,maybe she did ?

"The search is still on for Brown. He's described as white, 4-foot-2, weighing 70 pounds with blond hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a black jacket and camoflague pants, troopers say."

Searchers find remains of missing Ketchikan 5-year-old

I've been to Ketchikan many times, lived in the area for years. Ketchikan has nice city parks and nearby trails where kids can run and play safely. Just finding it unusual that they went for a hike miles from town in the late afternoon, especially now in the spring when bears are coming out of hibernation. It's just not done.

Concerning are the reports saying remains were found. Usually they say a body was found.

If he was mauled by a bear, it could make an autopsy difficult to determine COD. MOO

State: Prepare for bears waking from hibernation

Alaska official: Prepare for bears waking from hibernation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni