Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS payments have not been interrupted.

There is still serious financial impact to seniors. SS is subsistence living. You will not lead a happy life with only SS payments. Seniors who have saved their money, invested in 401k or 403b savings are seeing massive losses.

It actually is the same with the old age pension in Canada. You can't live on that. I was shocked at what my mother in Canada was trying to live on when she started receiving it, and the high cost of food and other essential items in Canada compared to the U.S.

It actually is the same with the old age pension in Canada. You can't live on that. I was shocked at what my mother in Canada was trying to live on when she started receiving it, and the high cost of food and other essential items in Canada compared to the U.S.
This is a good time for parents to teach economics to their children!

SS payments have not been interrupted.

There is still serious financial impact to seniors. SS is subsistence living. You will not lead a happy life with only SS payments. Seniors who have saved their money, invested in 401k or 403b savings are seeing massive losses.

How deadly is the coronavirus?

This is a useful article explaining that the deaths reported are when COVID19 is in the body but the person may have died from an underlying condition. It is a notifiable disease. Many of these deaths could still have happened.

From the link:-

"Every year, about 600,000 people in the UK die. And the frail and elderly are most at risk, just as they are if they have coronavirus.

Nearly 10% of people aged over 80 will die in the next year, Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter, at the University of Cambridge, points out, and the risk of them dying if infected with coronavirus is almost exactly the same.

_111497077_optimised-mortality_rates-nc.png

That does not mean there will be no extra deaths - but, Sir David says, there will be "a substantial overlap".

"Many people who die of Covid [the disease caused by coronavirus] would have died anyway within a short period," he says.

Knowing exactly how many is impossible to tell at this stage.

Prof Neil Ferguson, the lead modeller at Imperial College London, has suggested it could be up to two-thirds.

But while deaths without the virus would be spread over the course of a year, those with the virus could come quickly and overwhelm the health service."

More at link.

I think a lot of people adjust the facts to suit their needs. Some refuse to believe they will get it & their children could be transmitting it. I think the longer the lockdown continues, the more defiance we will see. As we discussed last evening, many people are bringing home more money now than they did by working. A large group will want this crisis to last forever, imo.

Well the point of my post was addressing SS's example of her friend who thought she was crazy 2 months ago for stocking up on food but who has taken this crisis very seriously for the past month. I think there's a big difference between people who may have been optimistic at first but accepted the facts as they came out VERSUS people who are still calling it a hoax, refusing to distance, going out. I don't think it's fair to anyone to paint people who had a genuine change of heart 3 weeks ago as bad science deniers if they were just being optimistic before the full picture of what was happening became clear to everyone.

My business is off a cliff so I hope we have mass testing and vaccines soon. They say lawyers are always fine because you can always count on death and taxes but wills are not able to be notarized now and the IRS pushed out deadlines so all bets are off! JMO

I had an ultrasound appointment this morning. I considered cancelling, but decided to get it over with.

The building's door was propped open ~ no need to touch the handle. I was met by a masked and gloved employee, who questioned me about travel, illness, and family illness. She checked me in, and invited me to sit in the waiting room or outdoors on a bench. I chose the waiting room, which was not crowded. I had to give my insurance card and ID to the desk attendant. Wiped 'em off with a Clorox wipe. No magazines. Was quickly called for my scan. The tech was gloved, gowned and masked. He did the scan, gave me the A-ok, and I left without further contact.

While I was waiting, employees were wiping horizontal surfaces with sanitizing wipes. All in all, I think they did an excellent job of preventing contact.

Well the point of my post was addressing SS's example of her friend who thought she was crazy 2 months ago for stocking up on food but who has taken this crisis very seriously for the past month. I think there's a big difference between people who may have been optimistic at first but accepted the facts as they came out VERSUS people who are still calling it a hoax, refusing to distance, going out. I don't think it's fair to anyone to paint people who had a genuine change of heart 3 weeks ago as bad science deniers if they were just being optimistic before the full picture of what was happening became clear to everyone.

My business is off a cliff so I hope we have mass testing and vaccines soon. They say lawyers are always fine because you can always count on death and taxes but wills are not able to be notarized now and the IRS pushed out deadlines so all bets are off! JMO
I agree. My intent wasn’t to paint an optimist as a science denier. Prob many a scientist denied aspects of this at first. I’m sure many had varying opinions.
I do see a lot of people “ justifying” their defiance & that really pisses me off. But, they will continue to do as they wish, so the rest of us must do what we must.
Later Detroit might publish some news on the 5 minute test, the mayor is very excited.

Good read!

Is the coronavirus airborne? Experts can’t agree

Another crucial unknown is the infectious dose: the number of SARS-CoV-2 particles necessary to cause an infection, says Lloyd-Smith. “If you’re breathing aerosolized virus, we don’t know what the infectious dose is that gives a significant chance of being infected,” he says. An experiment to get at that number — deliberately exposing people and measuring the infection rate at different doses — would be unethical given the disease’s severity.

How the coronavirus pandemic is affecting the world's biggest physics experiments

Whatever the infectious dose, length of exposure is probably an important factor too, says Tang. Each breath might not produce much virus, he says, but “if you’re standing beside [someone who’s infected], sharing the same airspace with them for 45 minutes, you’re going to inhale enough virus to cause infection”.

But capturing those small concentrations of aerosols that, given the right combination of airflow, humidity and temperature, might build to an infectious dose over time, is “extremely difficult”, says Morawska. “We could say that we need more data, but then we should acknowledge the difficulty of collecting the data,” she says.

Small Business Oowners assistance:

Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)

"The Paycheck Protection Program is a loan designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll.

SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for eight weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities.

The Paycheck Protection Program will be available through June 30, 2020."

IRS reversal: Social Security recipients can automatically get stimulus checks without filing returns
"Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return ... will receive their payment directly to their bank account,” Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin announced Wednesday evening, noting that they will not have to take any action.

The change follows pressure from lawmakers who urged the IRS to drop the condition."

Economic impact payments: What you need to know | Internal Revenue Service

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/new-y...hospital-beds-complicating-coronavirus-fight/

New York Has Thrown Away 20,000 Hospital Beds, Complicating Coronavirus Fight

"The Empire State had 73,931 licensed hospital beds in 2000 before years of cuts and closures shrank the number to just 53,000 in 2020, according to records obtained by the New York State Nurses Association from the state Health Department and stats provided by officials.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday the health officials believe they will need anywhere from 55,000 to 110,000 hospital beds to treat the expected wave of coronavirus victims."

As with every other epicentre, outbreak, cluster and spread, the virus will spread because people in the centre of the outbreak do not want to get sick, not realizing that they are already sick. Just like in Italy, they flee the outbreak. They are asymptomic for a couple of days, they travel to a place they think is safe and inadvertently spread the virus. It looks like the virus will overtake every state and hospital in the country.

I have a dystopian view, but there is no way to stop the mortality rate except through isolation, and the US has been almost belligerent when it comes to doing the only thing that is known to reduce the mortality rate - stop traveling, stop barhopping, go home and stay home. As Prime Minister Trudeau said "enough is enough!"
Yes, I agree. We have many "snow birds" in our complex from Canada, NY and New England. They were gathering at our community pool in large groups, however now the pool and clubhouse has been closed down. Now they are setting up chairs between the units, and using kiddie pools. Maybe they decided to hunker down here in their winter homes until this is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave