Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cough: dry cough - myDr.com.au
Comprehensive article on what it could be and how to deal with it.
Before we were talking about (I think Trudie's link) about humidity, I read another article that recommends 40-50% humidity. Amazon has low cost thermometers
Could be dry air, as others have said. Are you taking any decongestants? I have a dry cough too, but that's become normal for me (had it since December, worsened in January, is slightly worse now). It's worse at night.

I spent the night researching what's known about the time between exposure and first symptom. Data is sketchy. Most studies (where the transmission date is known because it came from a specific person) say 6-10 days, up to 14-18 days. It also looks like people who have been exposed do not shed significant amounts of virus until about 4-6 days in.

Then once symptoms start, it's 2-28 days of symptoms, during which the person is contagious. Most people are contagious for 10 days after symptoms start, and not a lot is known about what happens next (but a month out, most people no longer have active viral shedding - just RNA fragments). That one month data is extremely conservative, some studies seem to show that most people stop shedding a transmissible form of the disease about 48-72 hours after their fever ends.

20-50% of people never have symptoms but are still transmitting for some unknown period of time, thought to be around 2-3 weeks, but clearly much less for some people.

It's all this uncertainty that's so hard.

If you have cough suppressant (dextromethorphan), there are quite a few recommendations that you go ahead and take it, to avoid irritation to your respiratory tract. I donno, not a medical doctor, am sitting here looking at my bottle of it right now. Guess I'll try it. Apparently I cough in my sleep, so constantly irritating my windpipe and bronchial tubes.

Again I appreciate the resources you share. I did take some Benadryl last night and it took care of the cough. It did some back today.

Hard to say what it is. It is spring in MI and pollen is usually higher this time of year. So...For us:

allergies
Exposure to cleaning chemicals
Acid reflux
Dry air
most likely not Covid given my isolation. Only place it cooks come from was 14 days ago picking up groceries on the curb and signing or my groceries themselves. They were sanitized.
So I noticed that both this morning and yesterday morning, that right when I woke up and hadn’t even opened my eyes yet that I had this awful heavy feeling of what I only know how to describe as deep depression. I was barely even awake, yet I could feel this awful depressed heavy feeling. Of course I’ve experienced depression before this, but just noting that the “ick” is really peeking it’s head out again. I look forward so much to coming here and reading everyone’s posts because it really really makes me feel better.

Now I’m crying LOL.

I think no yoga, been cooped up in here, stress, dread, worry for my family who are elderly and health workers is starting to take a toll. I feel sick.

So, I really have to be aware that this “invisible depression monster” is trying to get under me. I’m going to have to consciously fight this monster it seems. This means, as I’ve talked about before, really doing positive things to bring joy and help resume some sense of normalcy. I’ve been in the house for a month so no wonder I’m starting to lose it.

Goals: Clean and get house back in order.

Some of you may recall from the early days when I said I had a home issue which was going to require workers in the house and everyone advised against it unless it was an emergency. Well here is the deal - I was in the middle of planning to move to a new house. :(. But no way I was going to risk movers and a moving truck.

Anyway that all went to crap and I’m stuck here now, which is okay, but I was half packed, living out of boxes so to speak.

So now I have to get settled back into my house. Which will make me feel better, because everything is in disarray.

Thanks is for letting me ramble and thanks everyone for being here.

It’s so important remember during these emotional episodes that there is so much to be grateful for. I have so much. Others had no warning to get themselves food and supplies...

I’m financially stressed too. We all are.

Boohoo.
Hang in there my friend. You are not alone. We are here and many of us feel the same.
I stay up way too late. I hate going to sleep because I know tomorrow will be the same same same. And it is wearing on me. But know that I am thinking about you and that I care.

Well the point of my post was addressing SS's example of her friend who thought she was crazy 2 months ago for stocking up on food but who has taken this crisis very seriously for the past month. I think there's a big difference between people who may have been optimistic at first but accepted the facts as they came out VERSUS people who are still calling it a hoax, refusing to distance, going out. I don't think it's fair to anyone to paint people who had a genuine change of heart 3 weeks ago as bad science deniers if they were just being optimistic before the full picture of what was happening became clear to everyone.

Yes, some people in the general population were quick to understand the implications of a pandemic, but I agree with you that we can't blame those people who, 3 weeks ago, did not believe the imminent danger. Some highly influential government leaders were publicly downplaying the seriousness of COVID-19. Citizens expect that their leaders provide accurate information.

People who still believe COVID-19 is a hoax, must be an under-educated, under-connected, under-engaged subculture of folks who are totally disconnected from the mainstream population. I'm not sure that there is anything that can be done to reach them.

IMO
Everyone is so meticulous about sanitizing grocery items, wiping down door knobs, refrigerators, personal items, washing hands, not touching face..

But I think those practices are not enough. Not nearly enough if your aim is to stay healthy.

This evil virus is airborne and can survive for who knows how long in the air we breathe. Just innocently breathing the contaminated air will get you if unlucky. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is the primary way people get infected with the virus. Look at all the cluster infections in Churches, choir practices, cruises, nursing homes.

Conclusion: I don't own N95 masks so I'll stay home until enough people recover from the disease, and until, sadly, enough people die so they are no longer spreading the virus.

(Coronavirus could be airborne, study suggests)

Margarita I had a moment like that tonight. Not sure if you guys do this, but on a Thurs at 8pm we go outside our houses (or open upstairs windows) and clap and shout for the NHS and key workers. Last week I wasnt well enough, so tonight I joined in for the first time. I got so upset, like a child, at how UNFAIR it all suddenly seemed. For all of us, finding ourselves in this awful situation. However much you try and be positive there is an underlying reality that bites you sometimes.
I think something happened last night to many of us, I had the most frightening nightmares I've ever had. Not in the chainsaw massacre category, more like lost pets, strange people, not being able to find home. Worst dreams I've had since I was given Darvon years ago after an operation, and I refused to take any more because of the bad dreams.

Hi all
I just tried to order my favorite beans, corn, cucumber & squash from different providers. Never in 45 years of seeding, sowing, propagating, transplanting have I ever seen page after page of the horrifying words ‘SOLD OUT’!! Any of y’all who can grow your own, if it isn’t in a catalogue, try your local feed and seed store. Not sure what they’re called anywhere else. Stay safe, stay strong— I am now officially scared. Bottle, please, make it swift! ;/
I started ordering mine 3 weeks ago. Within a week most were sold out. Walmart, Rural King, Tractor Supply still have them if you're brave enough to venture into their stores. I've had to settle for whatever brand is available.

BBM.

Not sure if your question is rhetorical.

Most WS'ers are interested in facts and science. We look to the experts. If I need a legal opinion, I call an attorney ;) If we want medical information, we look to the scientists. :)

Also, many of us here were sharing "inside" information, not really secret, just not widely publicized.

Just my two cents.

A little rhetorical. I just feel that these people should make it a priority to know more than us. To keep up on what’s happening. I mean this information like you said, wasn’t secret. I’m angry about it. Anyone who lost someone or who has had to deal with serious illness from this should be outraged.

Oh Mags, big ((hugs)) to you. You've been so helpful and it's always a pleasure to 'see' the giraffe online. :)

The hubs and me were starting to get a little grumbly having been quarantined together for a week now, plus it was my birthday yesterday. We got completely tipsy and made a Corona video just being silly.

This morning we looked at it and immediately deleted it. :eek:
Turn off the news/computer, turn on your favorite music and dance.

@girlhasnoname Happy belated Birthday! From one fool to another, lol. Yes, it was my cake day yesterday, too. I'm glad you and hubs made your own fun! It was a strange birthday, I usually get lots of April Fool/birthday crossover from friends and family, but literally no one I know dared try any tricks on me. Good thing, too, or I probably would have burst into tears. :(

There are two sides to the extra money in the unemployment payments. In VA, the unemployment payment is quite low and usually less that what people had made working. 600 a week seems like a lot, but there are people who were making much more than the unemployment check and extra money combined.
In Indiana, the maximum you can receive from unemployment is $390 per week. Adding the $600 still won’t bring the weekly unemployment check up to what some furloughed workers earned.

I’m sure it is and idk if there is an answer as to what a parent can do. I don’t find it appropriate to allow them to potentially expose everyone in a store, yet keep them from their own grandparents. Blood is thicker than water. But if kids spread it, someone else’s grands will get it. Moo
Oh, Yes !!
I am having withdraws from not seeing the grandkiddos.
I usually have them one weekend every month ( I get my playtime with them and it gives their mom a break) Plus I go to a lot of their school and sports activities so I see them all the time.
No more of that right now :(
In the summertime, I usually have daughters and grandkiddos and extended family here every weekend-
We are doing the best we can by video chatting but it is hard on them also being stuck inside 24/7 with each other.
I know they are taking walks and getting outside daily for fresh air and exercise so that is good.

@girlhasnoname Happy belated Birthday! From one fool to another, lol. Yes, it was my cake day yesterday, too. I'm glad you and hubs made your own fun! It was a strange birthday, I usually get lots of April Fool/birthday crossover from friends and family, but literally no one I know dared try any tricks on me. Good thing, too, or I probably would have burst into tears. :(
Happy BDay to you as well! Being a Fool baby has been rough over the years. :D

This evil virus is airborne and can survive for who knows how long in the air we breathe. Just innocently breathing the contaminated air will get you if unlucky. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is the primary way people get infected with the virus. Look at all the cluster infections in Churches, choir practices, cruises, nursing homes.
I think this too. Always have.
I’m also interested in the younger people contracting it. Are they perhaps more affectionate with SO, kissing, snuggling, etc.? I’m single so none of that going on here.
But maybe the 45ish group do have more physical contact.
Also, elderly often lean in closely during convo due to hearing impairments. I have no clue what is going on in some of the churches with high transmission rates.

Dolly Parton announces she is donating $1M toward researching COVID-19 and encourages others to give what they can

Dolly Parton is opening up her checkbook during the worst pandemic since the 1918 Spanish flu.

The 74-year-old country singer announced on Wednesday she is donating $1M toward researching COVID-19 at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee.

Dolly Parton announces she is donating $1M toward researching COVID-19 | Daily Mail Online

Thank you so much to Dolly.

Wow! See THIS kind of thing is why I feel positive for our planet.

I have never seen one like this. The material is kind of like a really thin memory foam. It has the valve on it that the N95 do, but it did not say N95. I tried it on (the bands which aren't show just slip around your ear) and it has a a strange chemical smell so I will wash them before I use them.
Nice !....... It looks like Gucci to me.

- Health care workers, store clerks, truck drivers, delivery service workers, grocery workers and all workers on the front lines may get the respect they deserve

Absolutely. I think the word Hero is grossly misused these days. To me, it means someone who puts their life on the line for others that they don't know. That is absolutely what the Healthcare Heroes are doing.

Out of respect to healthcare workers, I put the rest of your list as Heroes as well, just not on the same scale since the danger is less. Unexpected frontline Heroes nonetheless.

So I noticed that both this morning and yesterday morning, that right when I woke up and hadn’t even opened my eyes yet that I had this awful heavy feeling of what I only know how to describe as deep depression. I was barely even awake, yet I could feel this awful depressed heavy feeling. Of course I’ve experienced depression before this, but just noting that the “ick” is really peeking it’s head out again. I look forward so much to coming here and reading everyone’s posts because it really really makes me feel better.

Now I’m crying LOL.

I think no yoga, been cooped up in here, stress, dread, worry for my family who are elderly and health workers is starting to take a toll. I feel sick.

So, I really have to be aware that this “invisible depression monster” is trying to get under me. I’m going to have to consciously fight this monster it seems. This means, as I’ve talked about before, really doing positive things to bring joy and help resume some sense of normalcy. I’ve been in the house for a month so no wonder I’m starting to lose it.

Goals: Clean and get house back in order.

Some of you may recall from the early days when I said I had a home issue which was going to require workers in the house and everyone advised against it unless it was an emergency. Well here is the deal - I was in the middle of planning to move to a new house. :(. But no way I was going to risk movers and a moving truck.

Anyway that all went to crap and I’m stuck here now, which is okay, but I was half packed, living out of boxes so to speak.

So now I have to get settled back into my house. Which will make me feel better, because everything is in disarray.

Thanks is for letting me ramble and thanks everyone for being here.

It’s so important remember during these emotional episodes that there is so much to be grateful for. I have so much. Others had no warning to get themselves food and supplies...

I’m financially stressed too. We all are.

Boohoo.

I'm so sorry, your heart is heavy.

I had those overwhelming feeling Monday. After, Sundays WH presser and more days of not seeing my grandkids, I sobbed off and on all day.

Sometimes maybe what the body needs is a release, crying can help.

Have you checked local resources, message boards, FB, etc, some civic groups are shopping and delivering food or meals.

In Virginia even the militia groups are in on the action of helping others. They've partnered with the Salvation Army....who would have ever thought..

Alleghany County's M3 Militia deliver food to shut-ins

So with social distancing leaving some stuck at home without the chance to get food, they swung into action with a call to Sheriff Kevin Hall.

“When this came about, Corey Clark, he called me up and he said: Hey, I’ve got a business that wants to give 25 meals tonight, can you all give me a list of names of people that really need them,” Hall explained.

The program took off, starting with 25 meals last week, but ballooning to more than 200. They needed a little administrative help.

That’s where the Salvation Army comes in.

“We are in social services all year. We do this, people come to us for food, for clothing, for utility assistance," said Maj. Robin Hackbarth of the Salvation Army. "So we’re very, well, have the ability to take on this task.”

In Indiana, the maximum you can receive from unemployment is $390 per week. Adding the $600 still won’t bring the weekly unemployment check up to what some furloughed workers earned.
$990 is a heck of a lot better than $390! Then take off transportation costs, daycare, lunches, coffee breaks, etc, not bad for staying home, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam