Michigan - Coronavirus COVID-19

Thanks for setting up this thread! I’m in metro Detroit and people are taking it pretty seriously. I’m working from home, and kids are home from school. It’s definitely sad as the kids want to be kids- but we can’t get to play grounds and no play dates... lots of walks outdoors, but people keep a safe distance from each other.
stores are letting only a certain number inside at a time, so there’s lines outside. Many people are wearing masks and gloves. I’m seeing a lot of the gloves in parking lots since people don’t want to bring the virus into their cars, so it’s turning into litter. One smaller local fruit market had someone take people’s temperature with a scanner at the door before anyone was allowed in. That was oddly comforting and creepy at the same time.
I go visit my parents, but stay on the porch and they sit in the kitchen and we can chat that way. People for the most part are taking it pretty seriously.

And my two cents on why Michigan is hit hard:
Detroit’s industry with automotives and auto suppliers, we have high international travel. Some of the largest suppliers are in China. Wuhan is a big auto hub... the supply chain likely brought the virus as well as parts.
MOO
Thank you for the wonderful update my fellow Michigander!

Puff, Puff, Click: Hash Bash Goes Digital This Year

ANN ARBOR (WWJ) - Not even the coronavirus can stop Ann Arbor’s annual celebration of all things pot.

Since 1972, those pushing for marijuana legalization have met in Ann Arbor every April for the Hash Bash. This year’s event is still happening, but the high times are going high-tech as the festivities will now take place virtually...

‘Stay home and smoke your joint.’ Hash Bash goes digital amid coronavirus outbreak

COVID-19 Forces 49th Edition Of Hash Bash To Go Digital

Smoke if you got 'em :D

Projection: Michigan facing more than 3,000 COVID-19 deaths

(WXYZ) — New information released by the government indicates that Michigan may be 10 days away from the coronavirus peak, and may see more than 3,000 COVID-19 deaths.

The White House released the projections during a news conference on Tuesday. They cover the entire country, as well as the individual states.

They project Michigan will have 3,007 death, with the peak coming on April 11, with a projected peak of 164 deaths occurring that day...

Model projects Michigan hits coronavirus peak mid-April, 3,007 total deaths

:eek:

YAY !! I found the Michigan Thread.
I wondered where everything and everyone went LOL
I am working remotely (at home) and have been for 3 weeks now.
I have learned how to video chat with family and friends and I am now an expert with Web-EX conferencing calls/video/meetings. Hahaha
I am not complaining, at least I am still able to work and have income.
My oldest daughter is a teacher in the Ypsilanti/Saline area and is currently teaching remotely from home.
My youngest daughter is a social worker in Jackson and was still working until last week when she was laid off so she had to file for unemployment and she is the one with my 2 grandkiddos so we are trying to all help each other out as the kiddos are not in school, but doing school work remotely also.** (this daughter was just told today that she might be going back to work next week as they are considering opening up a few of the respite homes that are not occupied right now as health/testing centers YIKES. I worry about her being inside with sick people and then bringing it home to the kiddos, but I am trying not to stress until it actually happens. Then I will worry)

You all take care, Stay Home and Stay Safe and Well !!!!

Hotels go dark as Michigan's hospitality industry is 'decimated'

Detroit — The coronavirus crisis has sent the hotel industry in Detroit and the rest of Michigan into a downward spiral, and it's uncertain when it may rebound.

High-end hotels that are symbolic of the downtown's rebirth — the Westin Book Cadillac, the Foundation Hotel and the Shinola Hotel — have locked their doors temporarily to visitors. Meetings and conventions that would infused $151 million into the city were canceled for the five-week window through April 15, according to the Detroit Metro and Convention and Visitors Bureau. A quarter to a third of the hotels and restaurants in the state will never reopen, the Michigan Lodging and Restaurant Association estimates.

"The industry is in the process of being completely decimated," said Justin Winslow, president and CEO of that hospitality trade group. "I don’t think that’s a total surprise when you consider travel has grinded to a halt."...

Michigan Gov. Whitmer requests extension of emergency powers amid coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

DETROIT – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer alerted the Legislature that she wants to extend the Emergency Declaration and Disaster order for 70 more days -- bringing us to June 9.

By signing the Executive Order, she is also asking the Legislature to approve an extension of her emergency powers. The extension does not mean the stay-at-home order would last that long. It would extend Whitmer’s ability to make Emergency Orders if she deemed it necessary...

Michigan governor suspends in-person learning at K-12 schools for rest of school year

LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has officially suspended in-person learning for the rest of the school year at K-12 schools across the state.

Executive Order 2020-35 orders all K-12 school buildings to close for the remainder of the school year — unless restrictions are lifted — and ensures continuing of learning by setting guidelines for remote learning...

Michigan officials: Follow COVID-19 social distancing orders or face fines up to $1,000

Penalties/ fines for those not following social distancing....

And I heard rumors that they may start schools in early August. I know that’s a significant hurt to Michigan tourism, but I would so support this. Kids belong in school and need the socialization. If this pandemic hits the peak in 10 days like they expect, I’d hope we can get kids back to being kids soon...

Not to mention that there is also the reality that child and domestic crimes are increasing as people are socially isolated...

White House: Metro Detroit could hit virus peak in 6-7 days

DETROIT – President Donald Trump and the White House coronavirus (COVID-19) task force held its daily briefing Saturday afternoon.

The team’s response coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx, said Metro Detroit -- specifically Wayne and Oakland counties -- could hit its peak in the next six or seven days...

:eek:

I sure hope so, BDE. My sons are in Oakland County and I am worried sick. (I am in mid-MI) We believe my younger son has already had COVID-19, as he was sick the last two weeks. I looked up a clinic for him, he went, but they wouldn't test him because he is young and healthy.

He has to return to work tomorrow.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u