Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this pandemic has caused a wild west attitude in the US, that's up to the US. That does not mean it's okay for the US to act like pirates in the international community and ignore international trade rules.

Isn't the phrase, 'All's fair in love and war'? This is a war against an unseen enemy, worldwide.

I agree that greed and hoarding is not the way to go but when its the whole planet, there is no rule book!

Reactions: byo
Many people in the US would argue that the US needs masks- just like the Germans need masks.

Ahh, so does Canada!!! We are very short of PPE!

Stupidly so as our PM gave most of it to China, who SOLD it to Spain at a huge profit.

So, we seriously need PPE AND a new PM, right away!

Qantas confirms 50 staff have tested positive for coronavirus - including six baggage handlers - but claim 'wiping down your suitcase won't prevent contagion'

Claudia Poposki For Daily Mail Australia
5 hrs ago

Qantas has confirmed 50 staff members have tested positive for coronavirus in the past week.
Since then, at least 19 flight attendants, 14 baggage handlers and eight pilots have test positive, as well as five staff members from Jetstar, according to The Australian.

Six baggage handlers from Adelaide airport tested positive for the virus on Tuesday before staff who had come into contact with them were tested.

The article complaining about the Comfort only having 20 patients. My comment was...its up to someone in NY city to access each hospital for number of patients that can be transferred and make arrangements to move them. The Comfort can't just go out and start visiting hospitals seeking patients

There are many that could be transferred cancer patients, gallbladder, heart, stroke and the list goes on.

In times of crisis, most look for solutions and are grateful for any and all help. Just not seeing that with these NY city folks.

The SP article is just another in a long line of complaints about those trying to help.

Moo...

For some reason, I'm hearing the Pace Picante commercial in my head....New York City???!!!!

From the article. No one is asking the Comfort's crew to wander the streets looking for patients. And I doubt they would object to caring for Covid "overflow" patients. But they have their orders, which the CIC can change if that person chooses.

"On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.

At the same time, there is not a high volume of noncoronavirus patients. Because most New Yorkers have isolated themselves in their homes, there are fewer injuries from car accidents, gun shots and construction accidents that would require an emergency room visit. Ultimately, Mr. Dowling and others said, if the Comfort refuses to take Covid patients, there are few patients to send. And given the pernicious spread of the disease in New York City, where nearly 50,000 were infected as of Thursday, dividing patients into those who have it and those who do not is pointless, he said.

This is interesting. I’ve read about Ivermectin for Lyme disease treatment too I think. We have been accidentally dosed a few times trying to treat the cows. We have had pour on stuff on our skin and can taste it. Use it on the horses all the time too. Will be curious to see how this one plays out. Obviously I’m not going to dump ivermectin on me as a cure, that would be stupid. Just interesting that a drug that has been around forever is finding uses all the time.
The article complaining about the Comfort only having 20 patients. My comment was...its up to someone in NY city to access each hospital for number of patients that can be transferred and make arrangements to move them. The Comfort can't just go out and start visiting hospitals seeking patients

There are many that could be transferred cancer patients, gallbladder, heart, stroke and the list goes on.

In times of crisis, most look for solutions and are grateful for any and all help. Just not seeing that with these NY city folks.

The SP article is just another in a long line of complaints about those trying to help.

Moo...

Many people in the US would argue that the US needs masks- just like the Germans need masks.

You're missing my point. No one is saying end users don't need masks. I am saying that people who purchase supplies from manufacturers solely to charge a markup and sell at a premium to end users (who could themselves purchase from manufacturers) are the bad guys. It is a phenomenon called rent seeking. When end-users have no purchasing power middle-men serve distribution functions. But when end-users are entities like countries or states or large corporations, they do not need middle-men distribution.

Rent seekers are bad guys. They legally have a right to operate and I defend them in trade cases all the time but that doesn't make what they're doing morally ambiguous during a mass crisis incident.

For some reason, I'm hearing the Pace Picante commercial in my head....New York City???!!!!

From the article. No one is asking the Comfort's crew to wander the streets looking for patients. And I doubt they would object to caring for Covid "overflow" patients. But they have their orders, which the CIC can change if that person chooses.

"On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.

At the same time, there is not a high volume of noncoronavirus patients. Because most New Yorkers have isolated themselves in their homes, there are fewer injuries from car accidents, gun shots and construction accidents that would require an emergency room visit. Ultimately, Mr. Dowling and others said, if the Comfort refuses to take Covid patients, there are few patients to send. And given the pernicious spread of the disease in New York City, where nearly 50,000 were infected as of Thursday, dividing patients into those who have it and those who do not is pointless, he said.

I mean this would be like an orthopedist from another state visiting NY and saying woah coronavirus patients, no way, but if you have any broken legs I'll be here in my office totally willing and able to set some casts.

NYC needs people treating COVID-19 patients, not overflow broken arms. JMO

I don't understand the criticisms. The fact they have capacity is good. As the regular wards have to convert to CV19 wards, the regular patients will move to the ships. I guess the person doing the criticism would rather look after regular patients than CV19 patients.

I doubt that. I'm sure they are a caring human being. Based on the article, there is a list of 49 conditions that will not be accepted on the Comfort at this point in time. And as people are self-isolating, hopefully this means fewer road accidents and barroom brawls. It would be great if the Comfort will accept CV19 patients. That's up to the president.

Ahh, so does Canada!!! We are very short of PPE!

Stupidly so as our PM gave most of it to China, who SOLD it to Spain at a huge profit.

So, we seriously need PPE
I think the shortage is world wide. For better or for worse, human nature is going to go full steam ahead:

- We need PPE urgently.
- We can afford to pay more than "A", "B", "C"
- So, we are going to ensure that we get PE before anybody else does.
- Anybody who outbids us in our global hunt for supplies is a "pirate".

It does not matter "we" is. "We" could be the USA, Canada, Germany or UAE. Likewise, "we" could be Bangladesh if they had the money.

I mean this would be like an orthopedist from another state visiting NY and saying woah coronavirus patients, no way, but if you have any broken legs I'll be here in my office totally willing and able to set some casts.

NYC needs people treating COVID-19 patients, not overflow broken arms. JMO
Right. It's a nice gesture, but not efficient.

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients. (NYT)
On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating executives at local hospitals. The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle.

Only 20 patients had been transferred to the ship, officials said, even as New York hospitals struggled to find space for the thousands infected with the coronavirus. Another Navy hospital ship, the U.S.N.S. Mercy, docked in Los Angeles, has had a total of 15 patients, officials said.

“If I’m blunt about it, it’s a joke,” said Michael Dowling, the head of Northwell Health, New York’s largest hospital system. “Everyone can say, ‘Thank you for putting up these wonderful places and opening up these cavernous halls.’ But we’re in a crisis here, we’re in a battlefield.”
...​
I don't understand the criticisms. The fact they have capacity is good. As the regular wards have to convert to CV19 wards, the regular patients will move to the ships. I guess the person doing the criticism would rather look after regular patients than CV19 patients.
Another Whiskey, Tango... moment... BEWARE PITTSBURGH

Pastor to hold BIG Easter event. Only two people died at Woodstock. Guess this guy wants a higher record.

"I’m gonna announce it. We’re gonna hold an outdoor Easter blowout service. Not online. A national gathering. You come from all over, like Woodstock. "

'Bunch Of Pansies': Pennsylvania Pastor Slams Coronavirus Precautions, Planning 'Woodstock'-Like Easter Gathering
Let's hope the Hell's Angels turn up too then, like at Woodstock.

If this pandemic has caused a wild west attitude in the US, that's up to the US. That does not mean it's okay for the US to act like pirates in the international community and ignore international trade rules.
My guess is that Bangladesh may think Germany went "wild west" when they (in all probability) gobbled up supplies from vendors at prices Bangladesh could never afford- then intended to ship them all to Germany.

My guess is that Bangladesh may think Germany went "wild west" when they (in all probability) gobbled up supplies from vendors at prices Bangladesh could never afford- then shipped them all to Germany.
Then I guess we all need to start acting as one world. If Covid19 didn't happen first, climate change would have eventually forced our hands. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire