Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five infants in Maryland test positive for Covid-19, including a one-month-old

Five infants have tested positive for coronavirus in Maryland, Gov. Larry Hogan said at a press conference Friday afternoon.

The youngest of the infants is just one-month-old, Hogan said.

“The reality is that this disease does not discriminate, and no one is immune," he said.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

Poor little babies. This is so sad. This makes me want to cry.

I'm hyperaware that I am a target for this virus. I'm in NYC, 62, a heavy smoker with COPD. I live alone, with family in NY and Jersey and Florida, none of whom I can see.

Therefore, I've only left my apartment twice in the last month. One walk outside, one crucial grocery trip. Mask and gloves and hand sanitizer, then wiped down everything with disinfectant. I'm not sick now and am doing by best to stay that way. Take my temperature twice a day and remain shut in. Cancelled newspaper delivery. Only get the mail every four days.

Although it's excruciating to not see another person, it's the only way to stay safe. IMO my mayor took too long to close the schools and too long to recommend covering the mouth and nose outside. It's been obvious for quite some time that this virus was exploding exponentially, long after everyone knew to wash our hands for 20 seconds and avoid people who were sneezing and coughing.

My main point is for all my fellow Americans and Websleuthers who live where currently the virus is not rampant. You may feel, or your governor may feel, that since there's no or little virus near you, it's too encumbering to isolate. It certainly is destructive for people's jobs. But as a reminder, Wuhan is far from NYC, but the virus is here and destroying us.

Yes, it's to be expected in NYC that people from around the world will come here, and hence we are the epicenter for a virus from the other side of the world. But please, don't take chances where you live. You've had the common cold, you know that viruses travel in unknown ways.

My parents are elderly Floridians. We have been arguing with them constantly for going on numerous errands which are not life and death. It was hard to persuade them, when Florida was still bouncing around.
Thank God their state is finally sheltering in place.

Today I found out that a cousin-in-law's sister died on Long Island, from Covid. Her sister in Florida cannot come up for the 5 person graveside service that will be held. One of my best friends on the Island, whom I used to see weekly, was one of those who pooh-poohed this whole thing as overblown. Now he's forced to confront reality.

NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS! NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE! It goes without saying that it's more comfortable to be isolated at home than isolated in the ICU.

Again, remember all those colds you've had, that you have no idea from whom you caught it, or maybe even the flu. This pandemic is a virus that is airborne and dangerous because asymptomatic people are still shedding heavy viral loads. Stay home! Cover your face if you must go out! Don't wait for an elected official to mandate it, because by that time it's always too late.
We have family in Bethpage, NY and hope you and everyone are able to stay safe and healthy. Our family in ND have been using our own precautions for staying well. Seems there are others who still like to travel, visit and so forth. By those who chose to only follow certain guidelines, the Covid19 count is rising. I am not sure what is ahead for us but my family will do our part in trying to stay healthy. Thank you for your thoughtful post!
I did this one.
I am SO claustrophobic!!!
Moo
Well my otherwise good day just got not so good: my husband and I are eating dinner, almost done with dinner, when he sneezes right in my face and over the food ( sorry i know it is gross): fortunately i was done with dinner. When he sneezes he just kinda loses it- no warning-- i am pissed even though i don't think he could have done anything about it. when i sneeze i get warning and i try hard not to sneeze in anybody's face or on things. if i sneeze in my hands i wash them immediately. So now i am freaking out. If he is an asymptomatic carrier, i am in trouble. I don't think he has the virus cause if he did we would most likely both be sick long ago. I am scared though. I remember being in a doctor's office a few years ago: I walked by a patient in the waiting room who sneezed right on me as i walked by: i got sick the very next night (a bad cold)- grrrrr
Yikes! He has to learn to cover it more. My husband is a mega sneezer with a series of 3 sneezes. He grabs his t shirt and covers his face, lol! Yuck in a sense too. We were in public before Covid19 and he was told "bless you" from someone, not sure that would happen now!

Trump on national stay-home order: "I leave it up the governors"

President Trump again signaled his resistance to issuing a national stay-at-home order to slow the spread of coronavirus, despite comments from Dr. Anthony Fauci this week questioning why such an order has not been issued for all states.

[...]

“I leave it up to the governors,” Trump said at the coronavirus task force briefing.

“I guess we’re close to 90 percent anyway,” Trump said of the number of people mandated to stay home. At least 41 states and the District of Columbia have issued stay-at-home orders.

“States that we’re talking about are not in jeopardy,” Trump said, referring to the handful of states that have not yet issued these orders.

[...]

I don't understand the criticisms. The fact they have capacity is good. As the regular wards have to convert to CV19 wards, the regular patients will move to the ships. I guess the person doing the criticism would rather look after regular patients than CV19 patients.

The thing is, there are very few “regular patients” to move to the ships. Elective surgery has been canceled, people are staying home so there are fewer vehicle accidents, etc. This is according to Gov. Cuomo last night on Rachel Maddow. No one predicted this, but now it’s reality and Covid patients have nowhere to go. Trump did give permission to put Covid patients at the Javitts Center yesterday. Cuomo said the ships don’t want Covid patients because it’s too hard to sanitize.

ETA: I see this same info has been given in several posts already.

I'm in central Florida, and yes, at long last, we are shut down. Many residents here have been self-quarantining for weeks, but there are always those whining the community pools are closed.

A stay-at-home order does not include going to a community pool. What are these people thinking??!? No pool, no playground, no friend's house, no walking trails. You stay at home and have 1 family member leave the house for food and then only leave the house if it is a medical emergency. That's it. It's not a vacation!

Trump announces new face mask recommendations

President Trump announced new guidance from the White House on Friday afternoon, saying the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were advising the use of "non-medical cloth based" face coverings.

Trump emphasized the recommendations were voluntary and that he, for one, would not partake.

"I don't think I'm going to be doing it," Trump said.

[...]

Oh, I'm sorry you have to worry now, and I'm sure hubby feels awful :( Long, hot shower with shampoo and extra sleep?

yes he does feel bad--' i will try not to stay angry
a long hot shower sounds good and i will raid my candy hoard--
that should help me feel better
thanks for your idea!!!

CDC officials felt "pressured" to draft mask recommendations

Some public health experts at the US Centers for Disease Control felt "pressured" by the White House to draft recommendations that all Americans wear masks or facial coverings while in public, according to a senior federal health official involved in discussions.

A source told CNN the "CDC was under intense pressure to do this quickly."

"The CDC would not have gone this direction if not for the White House," the senior official told CNN. "We would have tried more to understand about asymptomatic transmission. We would have done more studies if we had more time."

[...]

NYC Mayor says more than 100 federal personnel have been sent to city to help with rising deaths

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday that he has had extensive conversations with Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Defense on how to respond to the growing number of deaths in NYC.

De Blasio said more than 100 federal personnel, including members of the military, have been sent to NYC with necessary equipment to “help deal with this crisis on the mortuary side.”

De Blasio also said they will hire more personnel as needed to “address this very painful reality.”

What's going on? Is the US trying to hoard all face masks during a pandemic? It might be time for some tough action from Canada - I favour shutting down access to water.

Not really, but people should think long and hard before they decide that essential services should be withheld from others.

ANY country should put their citizens first. Whether it’s face masks, gowns or flying our citizens home from foreign locations. We can pick up Canucks if you’re stranded in some foreign country halfway around the world and bring you home bc you’re on our way to our home, as a courtesy or for money or any reason the plane can think of. After our citizens, (USA) or Canada’s citizens or any other place in the world’s citizens are cared for, we or YOU or any other more fortunate country can consider others to help in other ways. But for now, you and me and everyone needs to protect our own. First and foremost. What good are USA citizens to our best friends in the world if the USA is sick? Zip. Worse, we will escalate the pandemic by spreading this virus or any other health and welfare issue across our borders. Do you REALLY think it’s bc we are allegedly hoarding and want to keep desperately needed help from you? Come on. As a matter of fact, the border issue shut down the other way first, I think. But it does not matter. We have to protect our national interests first. Canada first. USA first. Germany first. Your home country first. The nation that your allegiance is tied to by birth or government grant.
Like on a plane, oxygen masks drop down for parents first, then place them over your child’s face. What good is a parent who passes out from lack of oxygen and the child breaths? (Closest analogy I could think of).
When your First Lady tested positive, where was Prime Minister Trudeau? Home. Working from home as Prime Minister, but being a husband, and father as well. Taking care of his first.

Kentucky governor says buying PPE supplies for the state is "really hard"

48349e42-7f57-456b-8668-f1f6d91c33b4.jpg

Gov. Andy Beshear speaks during a media conference at the state Capitol in Frankfort, Kentucky on March 29.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said his state has limited personal protective equipment.

"We try to buy. It’s really hard," he said. "The federal government buys most all of it.”

He said that while the state is trying to manufacture PPE, he also asked residents of his state to donate any available PPE supplies.

Missouri governor issues statewide stay-at-home-order

e1e751fe-1856-4a15-ad52-c7bd8bcf5ed4.jpg

Gov. Mike Parson delivers the State of the State address on January 15 in Jefferson City, Missouri.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson on Friday issued a statewide stay-at-home order effective Monday, April 6 until Friday, April 24, 2020.

The order stated individuals living in Missouri must avoid leaving their homes or places of residence unless necessary.

Like many state’s stay-at-home orders, it does not prohibit people from going out for “essential services,” such as grocery stores, gas stations, banks or outdoor recreation, as long as precautions are taken and social distancing requirements are met.

[...]

Why do you think it's crap? Isn't he just trying to ensure the US don't export unless they have all they need?

The problem with that reasoning is that during disasters like the wildfires in Australia and fallout from volcanic eruptions like what happened in Hawaii a couple of years ago, is that no-one would step up to the plate. China provided millions and millions of face masks to Australia during the wildfires and the volcanic eruptions in the Philippines. Me-first attitudes is the same as a 250 pound man not waiting his turn to get off a burning plane, using the backs of the smallest and weakest to step on. Tit for tat politics hurt everyone.

ANY country should put their citizens first. Whether it’s face masks, gowns or flying our citizens home from foreign locations. We can pick up Canucks if you’re stranded in some foreign country halfway around the world and bring you home bc you’re on our way to our home, as a courtesy or for money or any reason the plane can think of. After our citizens, (USA) or Canada’s citizens or any other place in the world’s citizens are cared for, we or YOU or any other more fortunate country can consider others to help in other ways. But for now, you and me and everyone needs to protect our own. First and foremost. What good are USA citizens to our best friends in the world if the USA is sick? Zip. Worse, we will escalate the pandemic by spreading this virus or any other health and welfare issue across our borders. Do you REALLY think it’s bc we are allegedly hoarding and want to keep desperately needed help from you? Come on. As a matter of fact, the border issue shut down the other way first, I think. But it does not matter. We have to protect our national interests first. Canada first. USA first. Germany first. Your home country first. The nation that your allegiance is tied to by birth or government grant.
Like on a plane, oxygen masks drop down for parents first, then place them over your child’s face. What good is a parent who passes out from lack of oxygen and the child breaths? (Closest analogy I could think of).
When your First Lady tested positive, where was Prime Minister Trudeau? Home. Working from home as Prime Minister, but being a husband, and father as well. Taking care of his first.

Trump is using a war time measure to order 3M around. There's no war right now.
NAFTA matters to the US.

A stay-at-home order does not include going to a community pool. What are these people thinking??!? No pool, no playground, no friend's house, no walking trails.

There are evidently many variations in "stay at home" orders issued by various governors. Some are very strict (near total lock down).

Other orders explicitly state that walking trails is encouraged and give broad definition of what is, or is not an essential activity. Likewise, some orders only forbid gatherings of less than ten- not near total bans on activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288