Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
New York hospitals are being charged up to 15 TIMES normal prices by suppliers for medical equipment during the coronavirus pandemic

This is absolutely disgusting and disgraceful.
Sadly, there is no solution to this. Rather it is linked to supply and demand.

For example, today the governor of California related in an interview that his state was purchasing all the available PE that they could. He then boasted that the size of the California economy enabled them to out bid nearly everybody.

I wonder how many suppliers then filled California orders at the prices they were offering?

Last edited:
Exactly. It's just the US plants. They have plants outside the US.
Be careful what you wish for, though. Tit for tat politics are already in play. China's government has the right to halt exports to other countries and now they are exercising it. America's population 330 million, China's population 1.4 billion. China makes 50% of the world's PPE's. Faulty products notwithstanding, no country can afford to piss China off.

Here's an excerpt from a statement by China:
“Today, the global pandemic continues to show signs of accelerating in its spreading trend,” said the statement from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce.
“Based on the foundation of solidifying [China’s] own outbreak response, an orderly development of medical goods exports is an important part of deepening the global cooperative effort to deal with this public health crisis together.”
Link: China restricts PPE exports just as Canada's supplies reach critical stage in COVID-19 fight

I'm hyperaware that I am a target for this virus. I'm in NYC, 62, a heavy smoker with COPD. I live alone, with family in NY and Jersey and Florida, none of whom I can see.

Therefore, I've only left my apartment twice in the last month. One walk outside, one crucial grocery trip. Mask and gloves and hand sanitizer, then wiped down everything with disinfectant. I'm not sick now and am doing by best to stay that way. Take my temperature twice a day and remain shut in. Cancelled newspaper delivery. Only get the mail every four days.

Although it's excruciating to not see another person, it's the only way to stay safe. IMO my mayor took too long to close the schools and too long to recommend covering the mouth and nose outside. It's been obvious for quite some time that this virus was exploding exponentially, long after everyone knew to wash our hands for 20 seconds and avoid people who were sneezing and coughing.

My main point is for all my fellow Americans and Websleuthers who live where currently the virus is not rampant. You may feel, or your governor may feel, that since there's no or little virus near you, it's too encumbering to isolate. It certainly is destructive for people's jobs. But as a reminder, Wuhan is far from NYC, but the virus is here and destroying us.

Yes, it's to be expected in NYC that people from around the world will come here, and hence we are the epicenter for a virus from the other side of the world. But please, don't take chances where you live. You've had the common cold, you know that viruses travel in unknown ways.

My parents are elderly Floridians. We have been arguing with them constantly for going on numerous errands which are not life and death. It was hard to persuade them, when Florida was still bouncing around.
Thank God their state is finally sheltering in place.

Today I found out that a cousin-in-law's sister died on Long Island, from Covid. Her sister in Florida cannot come up for the 5 person graveside service that will be held. One of my best friends on the Island, whom I used to see weekly, was one of those who pooh-poohed this whole thing as overblown. Now he's forced to confront reality.

NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS! NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE! It goes without saying that it's more comfortable to be isolated at home than isolated in the ICU.

Again, remember all those colds you've had, that you have no idea from whom you caught it, or maybe even the flu. This pandemic is a virus that is airborne and dangerous because asymptomatic people are still shedding heavy viral loads. Stay home! Cover your face if you must go out! Don't wait for an elected official to mandate it, because by that time it's always too late.

Well said, and totally agree. I do a small grocery pick up each week but I'm thinking this is the last week I go out for supplies.

In my small community some still just don't get it.

My day was already stressful going to Walmart. After spending last weekend cleaning my house, doing laundry, pup walks and car rides, going to Publix and Walmart this week and working 45 hours, my spouse tells me that I am lazy and do not know how to clean. I am stressed and I want to cry a river but I hate crying.

Glad I bought some cheap wine at Walmart, Time to go drown my sorrows.
Shame on that spouse - IMO- I’m finding that working in the office (we are essential and I’m not allowed remote) grocery shopping - cleaning the groceries before putting them away - it’s all stressful for me without anyone making me feel bad - I hope you enjoy your wine

My day was already stressful going to Walmart. After spending last weekend cleaning my house, doing laundry, pup walks and car rides, going to Publix and Walmart this week and working 45 hours, my spouse tells me that I am lazy and do not know how to clean. I am stressed and I want to cry a river but I hate crying.

Glad I bought some cheap wine at Walmart, Time to go drown my sorrows.
Sometimes crying is good. It isn't good to keep things bottled up. Everyone is on edge and more likely to get upset at others that don't grasp the concept of 'we are in this together'. It happened to me the other day.

Sadly, there is no solution to this. Rather it is linked to supply and demand.

For example, today the governor of California related in an interview that his state was purchasing all the available PE that they could. He then boasted that the size of the California economy enabled them to out bid nearly everybody.

I wonder how many suppliers then sold to California?
Google

Canada is doing a really weird thing regarding medical supplies. The federal government obtains medical supplies for the country, federal health officials distribute the supplies across the country based on need. It must seem really odd to other countries that the federal government manages medical supplies during a pandemic.

Coronavirus breakthrough as scientists discover a drug used to treat HEAD LICE can kill COVID-19 cells

An anti-parasitic head lice drug available around the world has been found to kill COVID-19 in the lab within 48 hours.

A Monash University-led study has shown a single dose of the drug Ivermectin could stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture.

'We found that even a single dose could essentially remove all viral RNA (effectively removed all genetic material of the virus) by 48 hours and that even at 24 hours there was a really significant reduction in it,' Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute's Dr Kylie Wagstaff said on Friday.

Monash University scientists find anti-parasite Ivermectin could kill off COVID-19 cells in two days | Daily Mail Online

**I think it is important to point out that while articles like this give hope I don’t think we should get too excited about any particular drug being a cure at this point. Scientists all over the world are working on this so I’m hopeful a breakthrough will be made but unfortunately it’s not going to happen right away.**

NY needs a medical location that is NOT treating Covid19 to stop the spread. The patients in hospitals now, with other diseases or diagnoses are at 100% risk of being exposed. Any compromised patient deserves to have a Covid19 free environment to give them the best chance to recover from illness.

Every disaster plan provides for a "clean" environment. Its the only way to control/reduce the spread. All of the staff on Comfort and Mercy quarantine for 14 days before undertaking this task. This was to prevent infecting patients.

Its not about refusing to treat based on discrimination, its based on protecting your love one from exposure when in a medical compromised condition.

A good example .....most Pediatrician offices have a well entrance and a separate entrance for sick.

Moo...

Unfortunately in hospitals in NYC it’s past this point. Patients who come in with stab wounds are showing COVID in chest X-rays. A brief scroll through verified NYC ER doctors on Twitter show this is all they’re talking about.

NYC realizes this and they already received permission to use the Javits center as a COVID treatment facility. But if the Comfort won’t receive ambulances (due to logistics) and patients have to go to a regular hospital first, there’s limited use for it in non-COVID emergencies either. Maybe this wasn’t a workable idea and they should have focused on another Javits-like surge facility instead of the flashy boat.

Remember that all elective procedures were postponed. So you don’t have floors of hip and valve replacement patients taking up hospital beds. The surge IS COVID patients.

But a large majority will not follow directives.
I’ll say this: any of you with a doctor in your family, ask him/her how many are presumed positive from info submitted by phone. The numbers we hear are not accurate, imo. If a state gets 2-3k calls and 90% of them visited the same venue, the state knows they have a prob. But the caller is advised to stay home. Does he? Prob’ not,
and, he is not counted because he was not tested. Any state with few cases is a huge concern. Just how many were advised “stay home”? I’d rather walk the streets in NYC than my hometown. Moo
A stay-at-home order does not include going to a community pool. What are these people thinking??!? No pool, no playground, no friend's house, no walking trails. You stay at home and have 1 family member leave the house for food and then only leave the house if it is a medical emergency. That's it. It's not a vacation!

Canada is doing a really weird thing regarding medical supplies. The federal government obtains medical supplies for the country, federal health officials distribute the supplies across the country based on need. It must seem really odd to other countries that the federal government manages medical supplies during a pandemic.

It’s not odd. It’s centralized. Coordinated. And speaks with one voice to suppliers. A power to be reckoned with. Same as wartime. One voice. Listen to the one voice, or face the consequences. No misunderstandings. No mistakes in interpretation. One place for data to be posted.

Imo, something must be done about people that blatantly disregard directives. Otherwise, defiance will only worsen.
imo, it’s kinda like shoplifting, get away with it once,
try again tomorrow. I live on a main state road, it is as busy as any normal Friday evening. I have no idea where all the cars are headed, wmt, Lowe’s, mcD? It is literally bumper to bumper. Why?

It’s not odd. It’s centralized. Coordinated. And speaks with one voice to suppliers. A power to be reckoned with. Same as wartime. One voice. Listen to the one voice, or face the consequences. No misunderstandings. No mistakes in interpretation. One place for data to be posted.
Very well said and extremely accurate.

For better or worse, the US is functioning as 50 separate countries in responding to the crisis. The countries are beginning to compete against each other in the quest for supplies.

Even more confusing is that some "countries" (states) allow their counties to function as near autonomous provinces.

For example, my large urban county closed all non essential businesses weeks ago- granted, "essential" is broadly defined, but a containment effort was made.

Meanwhile, a neighboring urban county refused to close businesses for weeks citing that every business was essential and every job needed. Instead, they issued a series of "recommendations".

It certainly eliminates the problem of provinces competing with each other on the international market for medical supplies.

I just want to add-my last trip out to get food, also involved finding some herb plants. Theym, aloe and rosemary are excellent herbs to have on hand. As long as they are growing, they can supply additional benefits to the home medicine cabinet, as well as cooking.
MOO IMO IME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members