Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN at the Solid Rock Church, still holding big gatherings, interviewing ppl saying that they are covered with the blood of the lord and that disease can't get through to them. Everyone hugging, bringing in kids and babies. Blasé and defiant.

That's so funny! That's like the religious people in Iran licking public things because they believed it would protect them.

I read some local SM. Two questions take priority.

1) can the public pools open sooner this year so kids have a place to go

2) will we still have our county fair in June?

so much for Covid concern, huh?

I think fear of the unknown prevent states from enforcing church closures. Our governor stresses to us the dangers attending brings, but he does not go any further. Idk if a state can legally close a church, I’ve heard yes, and no.
I think that if a Governor is ready to declare martial law then enforcing church closures may work. JMO.

CNN at the Solid Rock Church, still holding big gatherings, interviewing ppl saying that they are covered with the blood of the lord and that disease can't get through to them. Everyone hugging, bringing in kids and babies. Blasé and defiant.

Oh wow. I grew up on the edge of that culture (my aunt and uncle were faith healers). However, luckily for me both of my fathers (bio and adopted) took rather stern views of that kind of stuff.

One of my lineages was Mennonite. Preserving the community with common sense was important, but it's also clear that Mennonites (like Quakers) are not social-churches. They are service-churches, barn-raising churches.

These social-churches are weird. Because the pastors are going to go under eventually when some of their flock die (I've seen it so often, even in my own family). A good number of people will stop believing. But the leader knows this and is ready to flee.

That has happened so many times, in my own personal experience. This is just so much more...direct. BTW, the Bible says not to test God.

(Mennonites are big on that one - but so were the Southern Baptists who adopted me - our pastor was a former boxer; don't tempt the Lord).

That's so funny! That's like the religious people in Iran licking public things because they believed it would protect them.
I am not religious at all, but I have a lot of attitudes that others might justifiably make fun of. So I really do try not to mock religious beliefs unless/until they threaten my own life and that of people I know and love. No, I don't live anywhere near this particular sect, but I get others knocking on my door and peppering me with their prepared texts, until recently. I'm an American, they don't pay taxes, if they threaten our lives maybe they should lose tax exempt status.

IMO the outside walking, biking, etc. is not working. There are plenty of online workouts right now. And, sorry, no golf. Stay at home, and use them.
Might have to share our 18° weather and snow to keep them in. I would imagine they would gather at homes then. I have seen people walk down the side of the street, some sidewalks are not shoveled. Most seem to not be in crowds, quiet. If we can find things to do they certainly can. Months of winter we usually like to visit places indoors to get out of the house. Lots of us are avoiding doing that and are making it through without getting to even enjoy much outside! Some people need to suck it up more and think of others, do as they are told! My opinions

United States Tennis Association says people should not be playing tennis right now

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) said it believes that when it comes to playing tennis, "it is in the best interest of society to take a collective pause from playing the sport we love."

"Medical advisors believe there is the possibility that the virus responsible for COVID-19 could be transmitted through common sharing and handling of tennis balls, gate handles, benches, net posts and even court surfaces," the USTA statement said Friday.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

Maine governor issues order mandating that all travelers entering the state must quarantine

Maine Gov. Janet Mills issued an executive order today mandating that travelers coming into Maine, regardless of their state of residency, self-quarantine for 14 days to mitigate the spread of Covid-19, according to a release from the governor’s office.

“To slow the spread of this deadly virus and prevent our health care system from being overwhelmed, we must all do our part,” Mills said in the release. “I am mandating that anyone entering Maine self-quarantine for 14 days and abide by Maine’s Stay Healthy at Home Order. These actions will protect the health and safety of everyone.”

Might have to share our 18° weather and snow to keep them in. I would imagine they would gather at homes then. I have seen people walk down the side of the street, some sidewalks are not shoveled. Most seem to not be in crowds, quiet. If we can find things to do they certainly can. Months of winter we usually like to visit places indoors to get out of the house. Lots of us are avoiding doing that and are making it through without getting to even enjoy much outside! Some people need to suck it up more and think of others, do as they are told! My opinions

Snow on April 3rd, wow, beyond my comprehension.

I read a long time ago, lidless promoted people to flush. I did not realize so many would not flush. Also, easier to clean, imo? I guess we don’t have to worry about using a public restrooms in the near future. The last time I was in a gas station they had theirs closed. No employee wants tasked with cleaning a bathroom. Moo. Plus, we are not supposed to travel, so I guess go at home. Does anyone really want to use a public restroom right now? Not I.
Oh - absolutely not.

Trump won't assure that New York will have enough ventilators

[...]

Asked during a White House press briefing whether he could assure that the state would have enough ventilators, Trump said, “No, they should have had more ventilators at the time.”

“They should have had more ventilators. They were totally underserviced. We are trying to do — we are doing our best for New York,” Trump continued.
Trump added that the White House thinks Cuomo is “well served with ventilators. We’re going to find out, but we have other states to take care of.”

[...]

Some context: On Monday, Trump told reporters that he thinks every American who may need a ventilator in the next few weeks will have access to one.

“I do think so, yes,” Trump told a reporter in the White House Rose Garden. “I think we’re going to be in very good shape.”

Isn't the phrase, 'All's fair in love and war'? This is a war against an unseen enemy, worldwide.

I agree that greed and hoarding is not the way to go but when its the whole planet, there is no rule book!

Yes - that's the phrase and it's the credo of not-so-great people. It's totally the motto of some criminals.

But in the end, probably 20% of people adopt that motto (many people say it's higher when crises strike), so get ready.

South Dakota Lawmaker Accused Of Being Drunk During COVID-19 Meeting | (HuffPost/AP)

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota legislators decided Thursday to investigate allegations that Senate Majority Leader Kris Langer was drunk during a meeting earlier this week that involved legislation elated to the coronavirus outbreak.

Both Langer, a Dell Rapids Republican, and Senate Pro Tempore Brock Greenfield, a Clark Republican, will be under investigation for their conduct during a marathon session that stretched from Monday night into the early hours of Tuesday morning.

more at link​

Churches are exempted under Gov. Mike DeWine's stay at home order that bans mass gatherings.

Monroe mayor asks Solid Rock Church to stop holding in-person services

Every state that has not, needs to ban church gatherings.
DeWine teases new order as Butler Co. church continues to hold in-person services

The Ohio Revised Code indicates health officials have would have legal recourse against the church if the state’s Stay-at-Home applied to religious institutions, but it does not.

That is where DeWine could step in.

Wednesday, the governor was asked about churches that are still gathering for services. While answering that question, he remarked a new order would be signed to address the matter.

“It is not a Christian thing to do," DeWine said. "It is not in the Judeo-Christian tradition to hurt people. I’m sure no one intends to do that, but by bringing people together, you’re risking their health, you are risking your health, you are risking total strangers health.”

Fact check: Trump, Pence stumble over clinical details while touting coronavirus treatments

[...]

Trump mentioned anti-malaria drugs that are being tested as potential treatments, saying that the clinical trials are “having some good results,” even though public health officials say the results are months away.

Moments later, Vice President Mike Pence said the Food and Drug Administration had “approved” a new method to test the coronavirus, even though the FDA only granted emergency authorization for the test, which requires a much lower standard.

Facts First: Both comments overstate the medical realities a bit. For Trump, he has repeatedly touted and expressed unbridled optimism about the drugs, even without conclusive scientific data to back up his claims. For Pence, he oversold the FDA’s confidence in the new Covid-19 test.

[...]

... “And the big news, of course, over the last few days was that the FDA, once again, in near record time, has approved an antibody test developed by Cellex,” Pence said.

This isn’t quite accurate. The FDA uses very specific terminology about medical drugs, tests and equipment, and the FDA would likely disagree with the notion that it “approved” the test. These terms are important, as medical professionals need clarity to be sure their use of these items is safe for every patient.

[...]

My baby sister is a Respiratory Therapist at a hospital outside of Denver,Colo.
I talked with her yesterday. The hospital she works for is beginning to see patients with the virus.
She has had to set up and monitor the ventilators for patients with the virus.
I worry she might become infected with this virus.
But what she is doing is important for everyone.
She is my hero!

As are all the health care workers, firefighters and law enforcement,
fighting a enemy that we can't see but we know it's there.

Navy hospital ship will no longer require a negative Covid-19 test for patients who board

[...]

Previously, patients had to have a negative test from their discharging hospital before being admitted on to the ship.

The change in procedure was done in an effort to bring more patients aboard the USNS Comfort.

Patients who are brought aboard the ship without symptoms of Covid-19 will be isolated and tested upon arrival. Any patient that tests positive for coronavirus will be transferred to a hospital that is treating Covid-19 patients, according to the FEMA fact sheet.

[...]

If Canada decides that the nurses are needed in Canada, would they be "pirating" the nurses?

If Canada can see its way clear to give fast track immigration to nurses - if the nurses desire - I wouldn't call it pirating.

Tempting people into a short term, high risk situation is, IMO, unethical. If people know the risks and still volunteer, that's an intermediate category.

Canada better not promise safe conditions and better wages without a longterm guarantee of staying. Humans do not uproot well. Don't make US medical personnel into involuntary migrants over the longterm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member