Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm.
China holds three-minute silence for virus victims
''In Wuhan, the epicentre of China's outbreak, all traffic lights in urban areas were turned red at 10:00, ceasing traffic for three minutes.

China's government said the event was a chance to pay respects to "martyrs", a reference to the 14 medical workers who died battling the virus.

They include Li Wenliang, a doctor in Wuhan who died of Covid-19 after being reprimanded by the authorities for attempting to warn others about the disease.

Saturday's commemorations coincide with the annual Qingming festival, when millions of Chinese families pay respects to their ancestors.''

My county isn't requiring masks for grocery or pick up restaurants. garrrrr.

I'm sure no one will listen to me but there shouldn't be a restaurant alive who allows anyone in their business to allow a pick up and to pay for food plus use the restroom! Or a grocery who isn't taking orders unless their employees shop and a person in a hazmat suit with heavy duty insurance giving it to masked ^ gloved customers. It's that damn serious to me and that damn contagious. Bad words might be implied but not said.

Last edited:
Call me Optimistic. I believe that our USA President, has a humongous smack down in the works for China.
I don't know what it is, but, I am guessing huge.
When, he is ready to do so.
I, for one will back up whatever sledge hammer he lays on China. 100%.
No country should be allowed, like, China, to continuously produce viruses that kill people over and over again.
Without Severe penalties!
This has to end.
No terrorists have been able to cripple our nation like China has, and continues to do so.
For me. I hope that President Donald J. Trump has a way to completely isolate China.
problem is... They produce our needed medicines.
For me, as a teeny, tiny speck in this universe.
I will look for "made in China".
I will Never buy, made in China again. Period.

I think it will be obvious as to what has progressed or hindered this disease.

Out of context...

We have more virus cases because our population is far greater. If each state was it's own country and Western European was one country then Western Europe would be far and away the top country for the virus.
Yes. We may have double the cases of Spain but our population is 330 million and Spain’s population is 47 million. Not trying to downplay our number of cases by any means, but I don’t understand the country comparisons like these. It just seems to incite more panic, and many of us are anxious enough as it is.

Last edited:
Tiny update from my Denver METRO hospital:

I didn't have time to get any updated #'s from my manager today but I will try tomorrow.

PACU is now also a COVID unit.

We're still only using one surgical mask for our entire shift.

Our PPE gowns are now these blue plastic-bag type material jobbies instead of the yellow cloth-like ones you see on the news clips. If you can't find a facie shield - lab goggles will do but you feel like you're talking to your patient through a scuba mask. And ponder what they must be thinking.

My unit is STILL non-COVID - we're told.

Telling an elderly patient their family can't visit because the rest of the people in the hospital are too sick for us to allow ANY visitors is a strange thing to verbalize.

Stay safe, y'all and I'll try to get better info tomorrow.

The term "stay at home" order can be deceptive as there are many variations on it.

For example, my state issued a stay at home order with noted exceptions and a broad definition of "essential business". As a result, our stay at home order is very different than California's.
Oh, I know. Hopefully things will go well this weekend. Even with social distancing people can get out and do things. A walk in the woods, ride bike, fishing, maybe kayaking or canoeing, anyone on a lake can take their boat out, so there’s no shortage of cool things to do. A lot of golf courses remain open, they will be packed I think.

Call me Optimistic. I believe that our USA President, has a humongous smack down in the works for China.
When, he is ready to do so.
I, for one will back up whatever sledge hammer he lays on China. 100%.
No country should be allowed, like, China, to continuously produce viruses that kill people over and over again.
Without Severe penalties!
This has to end.
No terrorists have been able to cripple our nation like China has, and continues to do so.
For me. I hope that President Donald J. Trump has a way to completely isolate China.
problem is... They produce our needed medicines.
For me, as a teeny, tiny speck in this universe.
I will look for "made in China".
I will Never buy, made in China again. Period.
Do you have a link that states China produced the virus, thanks

I agree.i was giving him masks and he was giving me bandaids - but we should not have spoken 6 feet apart without masks. I’ve thought about if this goes on for awhile (like months), maybe we could sit 30 feet apart with our Belgian beer and chat over our phones so we don’t have to shout. But seeing each other, even that far away, would be comforting. Seeing my mom at the top of the stairs when I deliver things to her helps, too.

Your post didn’t seem like you were minimizing social distancing @JaneEyre. :) Your 6 feet is what is suggested, even without masks at this point. I love your idea of sitting 30 feet apart with your beers talking over your phones! At least you can see each other and your gestures. Let’s face it, this is hard, but we will figure out workarounds. Zoom (as long as you keep security high) is turning out to be a “godsend” for many congregations and individuals. I never heard of it two weeks ago. Keeping in mind why we’re keeping a social distance helps me. Two new phrases: Social Distancing and Flattening the curve. What next!

I have a strong suspicion that Germany and Canada attempted to purchase the supplies at prices that say, Nigeria and Bangladesh could never afford.

They had no problem out bidding Nigeria, Bangladesh and dozens of other countries. They only had problems with the concept of out bidding when somebody else out bid them.

I have no illusion that the US would have cried "foul" had the situation been reversed. At the same time, Germany and Canada apparently had no qualms about out bidding others.

So many references to Bangladesh!

Do you have a link connecting Bangladesh and the 'wild west piracy' of medical supplies enroute to Canada and Germany? I've posted the BBC link stating that the supplies were being transferred between planes in Thailand when the USA broke international trade rules and diverted the supplies.

As many countries have learned with the US, large powerful counties are very difficult to smack down and can smack back- hard.

For better or for worse, smacking down China hard could well mean getting smacked in return. For example, not only do they produce a lot of what we buy at very attractive prices, but they also own a lot of our national debt.

If we say, smack down China but not paying them their interest due, other countries are not going to trust us regarding our credit either- and will adjust their lending practices accordingly. This could smack us pretty hard.

I respectfully disagree.
These ships are not set up to host infectious patients.
At all.
And. Period. As a longtime boat owner, I guarantee to you. No way and no how.

I doubt that. I'm sure they are a caring human being. Based on the article, there is a list of 49 conditions that will not be accepted on the Comfort at this point in time. And as people are self-isolating, hopefully this means fewer road accidents and barroom brawls. It would be great if the Comfort will accept CV19 patients. That's up to the president.

So many references to Bangladesh!
They are just a generic example of a very poor country that even before the crisis, could not afford basic medical supplies for the majority of the population- doubly so after they absorbed a lot of Muslim refugees from Burma.

But, Ok, instead of Bangladesh as an example, we could use any of the others on this list: least developed countris UN

No, link. Just the concept of supply and demand.

The equipment in question is in very short supply globally and is in very high demand. This combination drives prices up in the absence of imposed price controls. The fact that the Germans and Canadians were later out bid themselves strongly suggests no price controls.

Heck, even before the crisis, the ability of some developing countries to afford even basic medical equipment was marginal (I have worked in refugee camps, trust me).

In the end, it is extremely likely that the Germans and Canadians purchased the equipment at prices that developing countries could never afford. In effect, they just out bid the developing nations.

What do you mean "no link." All day today, Bangladesh is mentioned in connection with medical supplies, ordered and paid for, in transit to Canada that were suddenly diverted to the USA.

Why would anyone think that Germany and Canada did not pay the normal price for medical supplies? The only country that has an internal and now external bidding war that drives up prices of medical supplies is the USA. What a strange thing the USA is doing during this pandemic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member