Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve been freaking out about running out of coffee (that “Airplane” video I posted so many times about running out of coffee isn’t funny anymore LOL haha)...

Anyway I take mine with milk and honey. I am out of both for a week.

Just tried to drink it black and can barely get it down but guess what? That’ll help me ration it bc it tastes so terrible ahaha. Just like with that “survival slop” I made.

On a serious note, preparing food is like an episode of “Chopped” to me. You can use your creativity to make new survival dishes. Some will taste better than others.

ETA:

For old times sake / maybe we can still get a small giggle at least:

DON’T PANIC:
Thank you for the laugh. Had forgotten about that part.

After this, if I never hear the word "virus" or "covid 19" it will be too soon.

I think many small wineries have online ordering. Not sure if all states allow this, Virginia does. We have many wonderful wines in Virginia.
SIL has quarterly delivery of wine. He diverted to our house since they are now living here. 4 bottles showed up before the family even arrived. Another bonus. :)

Thanks for posting this article, it is very well written and does some good analysis of why Michigan's rate of infection is so high, including socio-economic issues factors in Michigan and Ohio cities like Detroit and Cleveland, and socio-economic determinants of health.
What about all the previous issues with the water in Flint (Michigan)? Has that even been resolved. Could that be playing a part?

I doubt that they'll stick in the flu shot. There will be people who can't handle flu shots but still need the CV vaccine (and hopefully, the CV vaccine will only be every 3-5 years).

Yes, small pox (along with some other viruses, some of them not well studied) can survive a long time. They reactivate when they get a little humidity sometimes. Small pox coming back due to climate change is a very real possibility. No one knows if those of us who got the shots as kids are still immune, but people 40 and under have never been vaccinated.

I bet there's not enough small pox vaccine in the US to even begin to address an outbreak. It's terrifying. I don't think you can get a vaccine at all, at this point.

Lots to think about. Would be great if our departments of health (especially federal level) would be run by scientists and doctors, with administrators off to the side managing budgets (instead of making decisions for which they are not qualified). Same is true for most of the world.

France strongly prefers experts as top decision makers in its various branches of government. Their system is rather expensive, though. Not to the general public at point of care, but through taxes.

FDA approves first live, non-replicating vaccine to prevent smallpox and monkeypox

This vaccine is also part of the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS), the nation’s largest supply of potentially life-saving pharmaceuticals and medical supplies for use in a public health emergency that is severe enough to cause local supplies to be depleted. The availability of this vaccine in the SNS will help ensure that the vaccine is accessible in the U.S. if needed.

FDA approves first live, non-replicating vaccine to prevent smallpox and monkeypox

Looks like the people wearing face masks where I live are few, and elderly.

Only had to go to Publix today - still out of TP and paper towels (who is hoarding the stuff?!) rather early (about 9:30 am) and there were not that many people shopping there.

Been taking advantage of the nice weather and washed some floors today. And watched a COVID-19 appropriate movie, "Carnival of Souls" (1962). Amazing how a low-budget, bloodless, highly atmospheric horror movie can still be so effective today. For those of you who like zombie movies, I highly recommend seeing this during the shut-in.

My little one is being a zombie at this very moment as I read your post lol! She’s been eating my brains for at least a half an hour lol!

I don't know when that was written, but it's definitive that CoVid-19's DNA structure is identical to a virus found in the bat population with a substitution (insertion) of a strip from pangolins (an animal that Chinese bats encounter frequently). Just like with humans, DNA is definitive for identifying the species and type.
That report was from 16th-24th Feb and virus had been identified as originating from bats but the animal that it had then transfered to had not been identified at that point as I posted in the prior post.

"Zoonotic origins COVID-19 is a zoonotic virus. From phylogenetics analyses undertaken with available full genome sequences, bats appear to be the reservoir of COVID-19 virus, but the intermediate host(s) has not yet been identified."

Have you the link stating WHO have since definitely identified it as the pangolin?

Last edited:
California just hours away from approving an antibody (immunity) test:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politic.../article241774351.html#storylink=bignews_main

This has been my biggest prayer.

Stanford University has developed an antibody test that will allow wider testing, so that people who have already had CoVid19 can go back to work and first responders/medical personnel can be deployed with much greater safety.

Go Cardinal! This is the best news in many days. I can't wait to see how it rolls out - we don't peak with this pandemic for another 3 or 4 weeks. This is a gamechanger.

Gov Newsom is awesomely knowledgeable about science (for a politician anyway) and can answer amazingly detailed questions about how this virus is affecting various regions of the most populated US state. Not much for liking politicians, but him - I like.

California just hours away from approving an antibody (immunity) test:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politic.../article241774351.html#storylink=bignews_main

This has been my biggest prayer.

Stanford University has developed an antibody test that will allow wider testing, so that people who have already had CoVid19 can go back to work and first responders/medical personnel can be deployed with much greater safety.

Go Cardinal! This is the best news in many days. I can't wait to see how it rolls out - we don't peak with this pandemic for another 3 or 4 weeks. This is a gamechanger.

Gov Newsom is awesomely knowledgeable about science (for a politician anyway) and can answer amazingly detailed questions about how this virus is affecting various regions of the most populated US state. Not much for liking politicians, but him - I like.

Yahoo!

That seems really unlikely to me. Just yesterday, a couple of promising publications about the actual mechanism of CV19 point in specific directions for both treatment and prevention. It's hard for me to visualize how that particular antiparisitic would work on this very specific and novel virus that has almost nothing in common with a parasite.

I am not going to post the most recent pre-prints from the last couple of days, because they are still being edited and more data gathered, but it appears that CoVid's actual mechanism of killing is not the kind of lung issue that most have been assuming. I don't know if any of you remember how, at first, they thought it attacked the kidneys or the liver, then they said it was an oxygen/lung thing.

The new research points to an action by CoVid19 that directly attacks red blood cells and some blood protein (perhaps more than one) that allows oxygen to adhere to red blood cells. They've noticed that both blood type and anemia are strongly associated with a bad outcome for this disease. There are now several blood type studies - no one thinks that the blood type itself is exactly the issue, but other genetic factors also vary along with blood type.

Blood type is a measure of something called "gene drift" and the drifts involve more than just the blood type - it involves every protein/active ingredient in our blood. So, there's some variation in the human ability to resist the action of CV19 on red blood cells (it's theorized) and most of us are lucky.

Since anemia is also more prevalent in the elderly, this seems like it might be a strong investigative gambit.

If you find more research about the action of COVID-19 on red blood cells, I'd really be interested in reading about it. It's hard for me to understand how an anti-parasitic could work on a virus, but I am really hoping that it will be found to be a treatment. If it's effective, it's as cheap as water and widely available. I think that a person can buy 5 litres for about $45.00, enough to probably treat a minor village. moo, jmo

But, I need to stop talking about it, lest someone foolishly try to dose themselves and end up going blind. An overdose destroys the retina, so please dear WSers, be prudent and watch for scientific updates. Don't take my word for it.

@musicaljoke here is an example. Now, since WMT is the major store in a rural, small town, I think he should have stated the patient worked at the deli bakery & anyone that shopped on blah blah dates might want to speak with their doctor or at least pay attention to symptoms. Moo. We did not need an epidemiologist to advise on her place of employment. Jmo.

Kentucky Has First Confirmed Case Of COVID-19 From Coronavirus

Beshear said the patient is in Lexington and is being treated in isolation at a hospital. He declined to provide other details, saying more information would be shared once epidemiologists learned more.

That's awful. How irresponsible. I agree with you completely that the details about potential for contact need to be posted.

And “You’ll never walk alone” by Gerry and the Pacemakers that I posted for @anneg (and us all) a few pages back tops the charts. Who knew I was a picker of hits! :D
Originally from the 1945 Rogers and Hammerstein musical 'Carousel.' It's also the theme song of the Reds, Liverpool F.C., made more poignant after the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 in which 96 fans lost their lives in a security disaster at a Liverpool-Nottingham match:

I think 5 months more of social isolation is just not possible economically.

People need jobs, and in this country their jobs are linked to their health insurance and their ability to fight this horrible illness and remain financially solvent.

How are hospitals going to be able to pay their staff, buy equipment and medications, and provide care if a huge amount of the population does not have insurance paying the hospitals? Same for doctors offices, surgery centers, nursing homes, group care facilities? How long can they go before there just isn't enough money to pay the salaries and buy the supplies?

My heart goes out to those who suffer anxieties about their health care costs and insurance eligibility. It's a deep concern that many of us simply cannot fathom. Do you think that moving forward there will be a desire for publicly funded health care?

“We have to open our country again...”
DT

He seems very anxious moo oh boy....watching

My opinion, we certainly have huge financial concerns but we have to be very very careful and very thoughtful...

I’m all ears.

Butt wipes if you’re out of TP, jk. I’m wanting to read back on that as well.

ETA: I can just see now, our moderators’ mods next future nightmare..whether or not to open the country again

Designers say layers blue shop towels inside cotton masks could help effectiveness of homemade PPEs | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado