Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I prefer to be informed also. If this is the reality, then people should be aware of it. When I saw it on CNN this afternoon my ears perked up because I have COPD. That was one of the conditions mentioned as a preexisting condition (as well as cancer) that could be used as a determining factor.

I see where you were coming from. I’m in a risk category too, and it’s scary. I liked the doctor in the story who uses a method in which everyone is included and no one is excluded automatically (because of COPD or diabetes or...) from getting a respirator. Only then do they do triage to determine who gets one and who doesn’t. That seems more humane to me.

But in reading the FB page of the TX nurse working in Queens at Elmhurst Hospital, she said that many who have a DNR sign above their beds did not give permission. I imagine they couldn’t. Resuscitating is very risky for those doing it. Imagine being a nurse in that situation!

TX RN Takes On NYC

I am NOT anti CNN and did not say I was. I asked a question. I haven't seen other news sources saying this. If they have, I will look for them.
100% FACT
Mechanical Ventilation in Disaster Situations: A New Paradigm Using the AGILITIES Score System - PubMed

And sadly, heart attacks, strokes, car accidents etc... When the ER is overflowing and there are no ICU beds or ventilators... due to
COVID-19.
Some patients in cardiac arrest may not be brought to hospitals for medical help, memo says

Last edited:
Georgia's governor just re-opened the beaches (over a mayor's order). Trump is talking opening pro sports in September, despite Dr. Fauci's recommendations. FL governor is allow mega church services. I don't want to hear the news any longer.

Another claim the Covid-19 was made in a Chinese lab. I thought that theory had been debunked.

Did coronavirus leak from a research lab in Wuhan?Startling new theory is 'no longer discounted' | Daily Mail Online

"Ministers fear that the coronavirus pandemic might have been caused by a leak from a Chinese laboratory, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Senior Government sources say that while 'the balance of scientific advice' is still that the deadly virus was first transmitted to humans from a live animal market in Wuhan, a leak from a laboratory in the Chinese city is 'no longer being discounted'.

One member of Cobra, the emergency committee led by Boris Johnson, said last night that while the latest intelligence did not dispute the virus was 'zoonotic' – originating in animals – it did not rule out that the virus first spread to humans after leaking from a Wuhan laboratory."

Georgia's governor just re-opened the beaches (over a mayor's order). Trump is talking opening pro sports in September, despite Dr. Fauci's recommendations. FL governor is allow mega church services. I don't want to hear the news any longer.

I despair. And I am very grateful to Oregon’s very sensible Governor Kate Brown whose actions have no doubt contributed to flattening our curve enough to delay our peak until May 3 (according to estimates). She’s also the one who sent 140 respirators to NY without being asked to (Cuomo, Trump and Pence thanked her today).

Last edited:
Is this fear mongering? Just wondering what others think. Is it BS because it was reported by CNN? As coronavirus cases grow, hospitals adopt a system to rank patients for treatment - CNN
In re-reading this article, it appears that these could be's or may be's were discussed and written about back in 2009, again being brought forth in 2014 & 2016. This is nothing new that hasn't already been discussed and then brought forward to fit today's situation. It is not based on fact because what Italy's health system is, is not the same as ours. And of course the last paragraph says it all, "it could very well be the case", with the words could, instead of will. So yes, I think this is fear mongering.

MOO

That has nothing to do with whether drugs sold to kill parisites on hair and eyelashes and my dog's butt are going to work on CV.

That's using the word "parasite" in its broadest possible context. ALL viruses are parasites. With this thinking, we would never have had to develop a small pox vaccine - could all just use anti-parasite drugs.

"Parasite" as used in medical literature typical refers to a lifeform (viruses are not generally regarded as lifeforms) that depends on its existence on another organism.

So the popular use of the word parasite fits - but that's not how science uses it. PLEASE do not confuse common usage of words with medical usage and please do not try an anti-parasite drug for CV unless you are in hospital. With your doctor's permission.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear not to put any stock in the "parasite medicine" rumors. I see that my comment could have been misleading.

I totally agree with your line of thought. Thank you for your much more informative response to the original poster's question.

Another claim the Covid-19 was made in a Chinese lab. I thought that theory had been debunked.

Did coronavirus leak from a research lab in Wuhan?Startling new theory is 'no longer discounted' | Daily Mail Online

"Ministers fear that the coronavirus pandemic might have been caused by a leak from a Chinese laboratory, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Senior Government sources say that while 'the balance of scientific advice' is still that the deadly virus was first transmitted to humans from a live animal market in Wuhan, a leak from a laboratory in the Chinese city is 'no longer being discounted'.

One member of Cobra, the emergency committee led by Boris Johnson, said last night that while the latest intelligence did not dispute the virus was 'zoonotic' – originating in animals – it did not rule out that the virus first spread to humans after leaking from a Wuhan laboratory."

Cha Ching. Daily Mail counting their profits.

They are a necessary part of communication though - the equivalent of asking a neighbor who has traveled to share pictures and stories over the back fence. Really broad (non-journalistic imo) standards for what to publish.

I strongly urge people to turn toward scientific research and websites, athough I know it's not easy and requires way more time investment.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear not to put any stock in the "parasite medicine" rumors. I see that my comment could have been misleading.

I totally agree with your line of thought. Thank you for your much more informative response to the original poster's question.

No worries. This is one huge tangled ball of twine to disentangle, with every single person holding a different end of the twine.

If the anti-parasite med turns out to be effective, I'll be very surprised. However, the new research about red blood cells and CV19 is super promising. Ventilators may be something of a mistake. They are terribly over-rated as a source of optimism in this pandemic, IMO. Plain old oxygen may be as good or better.

That's good news, btw. For the very weak (who have other conditions) it's different. As a relatively healthy 65 year old, I am horrified at the thought of being on a ventilator (I got to have that experience in January, while under sedation - it was not an expected outcome of the procedure I was having, it was not pleasant afterward and to think that it might actually be done to me again...not at all happy about that). My turn on the ventilator was for only 45 minutes.

Looks like the people wearing face masks where I live are few, and elderly.

Only had to go to Publix today - still out of TP and paper towels (who is hoarding the stuff?!) rather early (about 9:30 am) and there were not that many people shopping there.

Been taking advantage of the nice weather and washed some floors today. And watched a COVID-19 appropriate movie, "Carnival of Souls" (1962). Amazing how a low-budget, bloodless, highly atmospheric horror movie can still be so effective today. For those of you who like zombie movies, I highly recommend seeing this during the shut-in.
what is with Publix and paper products- i know
people hoard but i dont understand stand why they dont re-stock-- if you want TP go
to Walmart as early as possible--the have a limit
of one package per person-tbey also have
towel paper but no disinfectant wipes

I despair. And I am very grateful to Oregon’s very sensible Governor Kate Brown whose actions have no doubt contributed to flattening our curve enough to delay our peak until May 3 (according to estimates). She’s also the one who sent 140 respirators to NY without being asked to (Cuomo, Trump and Pence thanked her today).
I suggested that states who have ventilators that are not presently being used send them to NYC over a week ago and was lambasted by several members here.

I'm glad to see it happening.

Oregon sending ventilators to New York to help prevent coronavirus' spread across US, Cuomo says

Oregon sending ventilators to New York to help prevent coronavirus' spread across US, Cuomo says

what is with Publix and paper products- i know
people hoard but i dont understand stand why they dont re-stock-- if you want TP go
to Walmart as early as possible--the have a limit
of one package per person-tbey also have
towel paper but no disinfectant wipes
I think the hoarders must go to stores every single morning after the shelves are restocked and buy more TP. Even the ones with a limit run out. JMO

Keeping him and all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am very sorry to read this. I really hope your BIL will be ok @Windsorite

Thank you, we spoke to him this evening and found out he contracted it March 15th, so he has passed his two weeks self isolation and is now feeling much better. We’re relieved he is okay but wish he had told the family sooner.

A small trial finds that hydroxychloroquine is not effective for treating coronavirus
Katherine Seley-Radtke, Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry and President-Elect of the International Society for Antiviral Research, University of Maryland, Baltimore County for yahoo.news

Yahoo news. Usually a day late and a dollar short.
Maybe she should try a big trial. But then again, there’s no time to research. Run trials. Gather data. Get peer reviews. Publish. Re-trial. More peer reviews.
If I had corona virus and you want to give me new UNTRIED or not really meant for coronavirus BUT MIGHT WORK meds, go AHEAD! Don’t wait for approval by peer reviews. I’ll be dead by the time the peers say ok. Try it on this old lady right now! BEFORE she croaks. I give you permission. Just DO IT!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam