Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
but we can't see his buddy! I agree, MH might have know how to do such a thing & used someone else's cash in his escape?

That fella's hat, glasses, and facial hair do seem like a disguise. He may have started that trip with full, untrimmed beard, and adjusted it in the car between each ATM.

Switched hat & glasses, too.

Maybe I watch too much crime TV & read too much here....

JMHO YMMV

His partner in crime is this guy. You can see part of his sleeve in the pic of my first upload.

Attachments

• glen falls pd suspect #2.jpg
    glen falls pd suspect #2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 118
I was trying to understand where Glen Falls fell within any interest in MH. If someone wasn't reported missing I was trying to see what other circumstances could trigger their interest.
What does Glen Falls have to do in relation to MH? Is it close to the trail?

What does Glen Falls have to do in relation to MH? Is it close to the trail?
If you go back and read MadMcGoo's post #147 you'll see that the Collier County Sheriff office had contact with LE in NY and that town was mentioned. So if Glens Falls didn't have a missing person, or at least someone who hadn't been reported missing, I was trying to see what had happened back in 2017 that might garner attention.

If you go back and read MadMcGoo's post #147 you'll see that the Collier County Sheriff office had contact with LE in NY and that town was mentioned. So if Glens Falls didn't have a missing person, or at least someone who hadn't been reported missing, I was trying to see what had happened back in 2017 that might garner attention.
I do wish we knew why they mention this particular area of New York! Maybe I did miss it, but I can't remember ever seeing it mentioned by another hiker, like the majority of the information CCSO has put out.

I do wish we knew why they mention this particular area of New York! Maybe I did miss it, but I can't remember ever seeing it mentioned by another hiker, like the majority of the information CCSO has put out.

Yup, me too! I had never seen any previously entered info regarding that specific town which is why I went on the LE website to see what had been going on there before MH was found.

Yup, me too! I had never seen any previously entered info regarding that specific town which is why I went on the LE website to see what had been going on there before MH was found.
I did quite a bit of research on Lake George back when I first saw this. It's a very small area. And not all that close (3 to 4 hours drive time) to Brooklyn, which has been mentioned by other hikers. So I can't figure out where this info came from.

p.s. Don't be discouraged in your search efforts! Trust me when I say, we never know what might lead to a break in this case! It's good to know that people care so much about Denim...I have a feeling that'd put a smile on his face! :)

According to one article:

Feb 22, 2019
“[SBM]

In recent weeks police in Florida have developed information that the man may be from New York and possibly the Lake George area, which led them to contact police in Glens Falls and ask for the public's assistance.

Glens Falls Police Detective Lt. Peter Casertino said local police learned from investigators in Florida that a person who hiked with the [unidentified hiker who was found dead in Florida] recalled that he said he had worked in the computer information technology industry in the Lake George area at one point.

[SBM]“ (BBM)
Local police look to identify hiker who died | Local | poststar.com

I did quite a bit of research on Lake George back when I first saw this. It's a very small area. And not all that close (3 to 4 hours drive time) to Brooklyn, which has been mentioned by other hikers. So I can't figure out where this info came from.

p.s. Don't be discouraged in your search efforts! Trust me when I say, we never know what might lead to a break in this case! It's good to know that people care so much about Denim...I have a feeling that'd put a smile on his face! :)

I believe that Denim will be identified but I also think he'll fall within the category where his family will choose to maintain his anonymity. I know technically we have no right to know his identity but as much as the police assign an officer to his case, it can't be ignored that what they are working with now is due to many other civilians who provided them with a treasure trove of detail.

I don't like to think Denim could be involved in criminal activity and until someone proves me wrong I will continue to think that way. I was on a thread a few days ago where the question was which case stays with you. I still consider the Sumter Does my first and foremost but I don't feel the connection to them like I do Denim. They are more like a puzzle, albeit a mystifying one. (Scrolling through the hundreds and hundreds of missing and disappeared in Argentina has a more visceral effect on me; seeing 14 year old children who were assassinated or umpteen pregnant women). Seeing all the images of Denim smiling or his demeanor when someone takes a pic without him looking at the camera, he radiates a calmness. He may have been on a journey that had nothing to do with hiking.

The "BR" lettering embroidered on the jacket - is that a brand logo (like Banana Republic or something)? This has probably been discussed many threads ago but I can't remember.

24173546_1730042300363680_8201712071293397776_o.jpg

The "BR" lettering embroidered on the jacket - is that a brand logo (like Banana Republic or something)? This has probably been discussed many threads ago but I can't remember.

24173546_1730042300363680_8201712071293397776_o.jpg
It appears to be Brooks Range Mountaineering, the same brand as his tent:
A60534AC-8531-488D-9284-2FE8F2ED4C03.jpeg
Brooks Range Mountaineering - Brooks Range Mojave Down Jacket ::Brooks Range Mountaineering :: Mojave :: S :: ID: 531238
41181CBC-354F-48F4-B954-59C552DC85A8.jpeg
https://www.campsaver.com/brooks-range-mojave-down-jacket-mens.html

From his NamUs profile:
“Items found:
Beige Shirt/neon green (w/gray accents), Shorts/Gray Russell, ‘Performance’ Underwear size M
Columbia baseball hat, very dirty possibly gray and white
Yellow two man tent – Manufacturer: Brooks-Range Mountaineering, Model: Foray
Yellow sleeping bag
Two hiking poles, black and copper color. Brand "Outdoor Products”
One yellow and gray Isobutane 110 G fuel cartridge
Bluegreen Nalgene water bottle” (BBM)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
(The NamUs entry does not mention the jacket)

I don't think he was involved in criminal activity in the sense of robbing a gas station or being part of a drug ring or anything like that. But I think something like a drunk driving accident where he felt too embarrassed and ashamed to go home might be a possibility.

Also, a video of MH that is helpful to see his body frame & mannerisms. Again, for those of you who are just joining in or maybe haven't seen this in awhile.

Has Bruce Max Willow been suggested? Height is off by 4". The resemblance to Denim's composite is especially striking, imo.
Missing: Willow, Bruce Max
Bruce Max Willow – The Charley Project

GetPhoto.aspx
GetPhoto.aspx
GetPhoto.aspx

Apologies for quoting my own previous post from a few pages back. Here it is again for convenience.

IIRC i couldn't compare Denim's ears to Bruce's in the photos because of angle differences. As I watched the video above I noticed Denim's ears appear to be very similar if not identical to Bruce's ears. The size and long, narrow overall shape of the right ear, especially right at the point where the earlobe meets the face. Does anyone else see the likeness?

Also, Bruce is missing from Elmira Heights, NY which is 4 hours away from Glen Falls. Could that be the NY connection?

Apologies for quoting my own previous post from a few pages back. Here it is again for convenience.

IIRC i couldn't compare Denim's ears to Bruce's in the photos because of angle differences. As I watched the video above I noticed Denim's ears appear to be very similar if not identical to Bruce's ears. The size and long, narrow overall shape of the right ear, especially right at the point where the earlobe meets the face. Does anyone else see the likeness?

Also, Bruce is missing from Elmira Heights, NY which is 4 hours away from Glen Falls. Could that be the NY connection?
I don't see any resemblance at all. Bruce would have been nearly 60 years old around the discovery of Denim plus his height is listed at 6 feet 1 inch. It's obvious from pictures and especially that brief video that Denim is no where near that height, more like 5 feet 8 inches, if that. And even though we dont have any real clear pics of Denim clean shaven, I think the shape of his face is quite different especially the jaw.

I do agree, and I find it rather interesting they don't mention the jacket. Where do you think it went? Or why wasn't it logged in with the other belongings?
Yes, it is interesting. I don't know whether it's just an oversight or it really wasn't with his belongings.

If we go with the premise that Denim was ill and running a temperature it's possible he took it off somewhere other than the campsite. I can shoot holes through my own theory though, because it looks like Denim was quite organized when he entered his tent and not suffering from delirium from a high temperature since his hiking poles were placed side by side, not haphazardly as were his boots. My opinion is based on the premise that the images of his possessions were taken by LE as they were found and not placed there.

I'm also concerned about his watch, it shows in many pics but is not inventoried. I would think that's a fairly important part of his belongings. I've blown up a picture to try and show the detail of the watch. It's still pretty blurry but it looks like it has enough buttons on it that it could be more than a watch; maybe take heart rate, distance traveled, etc.

Here's some images of a couple more things he had on him when he was hiking. One is a fanny pack worn left front on his belt and the other is on his left front but appears to be attached to the strap for his backpack. I have no idea what it is, maybe a holder for a water bottle or something?

One more thing, in my quest to identify the watch using these parameters: black watch with blue accent casing and silicone band I got some images of GPS watches as well which are pretty expensive.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 156
  • mostly harmless fanny pack cloesup (4).jpg
    mostly harmless fanny pack cloesup (4).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 191
  • mostly harmless fanny pack cloesup (3).jpg
    mostly harmless fanny pack cloesup (3).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
There is so much time right now to knock some silly theories around in my head. It doesn't make sense to me but the journal page could be some sort of map. Hidden belongings? No idea. I know it sounds a little far fetched but I figure we eliminate people why not eliminate theories on the journal page.

Here's some images of a couple more things he had on him when he was hiking. One is a fanny pack worn left front on his belt and the other is on his left front but appears to be attached to the strap for his backpack. I have no idea what it is, maybe a holder for a water bottle or something?

SBM for focus

My backpack has a built-in zippered pouch/pocket on the hipbelt where I can stash snacks, a bandana, money/ID, lip balm, etc. That's what I think you are seeing in the "fanny pack closeup 3" image.

It also has a built-in side pouch for a water bottle. That's what I think you are seeing in the "fanny pack closeup 4" image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson