Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is, it seems the part of the mask that "expires" is the elastic straps, because they become brittle over time, I imagine similar to how rubber bands become brittle and breakable.

The fabric part I think is fine as long as it was kept clean.

So why isn't there a major movement to have people sewing new straps or ties onto these older masks?!

good question

Well, kind of okay. I have quite a few objective tests and the students really do study for them. They're learning to read way better, because they have no choice. I have lots of videos, but no Zoom (many reasons).

Lots of problems with students having only their phones to access a data-rich online class - but I've put into place the recommended "flexible" policies - for this semester.

Thank you for asking. I really do learn so much from being here on WS - most people here are so well-informed, it is so helpful when a current event is the best/only topic.

Look at google classroom. My husband still has duct tape over the video camera on his laptop :)

My iPhone is still somewhat of a mystery to me, and even I can use google classroom from it. I was basically the guinea pig, to see how hard it would be for the parents and kids. Of course, they all do have chrome books supplied by our high school as well. I will tell you, Verizon is offering a free 15 Gb hotspot for their customers, and if you have many without resources, your college’s grant writer needs to get on Our Commitment | Google for Education. @10ofRods

Last edited:
We have already surpassed the death total of Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined yet people are still saying we are overreacting with all the quarantines and restrictions. :mad:

Yeah.

It's been a long time since people were forced to restrict themselves from anything within their grasp.

Maybe 70 years?

The sober perspective of parents in the 1950's would have dictated a much more sober response from government.

These masks are supposed to be disposable, not reusable. And if mask sat somewhere long enough for the straps to become brittle over time, how do you know if fabric part still blocks the same number of particles?

My BF is a respiratory therapist. They are reusing their masks and disinfecting them with UV lights several times a day. Another friend asked me if I needed some N95 masks and I said no, but I know someone who DOES need them and was able to get my other friend to deliver them to my other friend who is on the front line as a RT.

It’s pathetic there is this shortage.

Also, I don’t have food delivery for another week and ran out of food so my friend just delivered food and beer. I’m giving half of it to my elderly neighbor.

As for another front line healthworker I know, their dept was only able to get masks through a rich business man who pulled some strings somewhere.

Pathetic!

Jmo

Last edited:
I guess that I don't understand how a hospital can run out of oxygen. My husband has two oxygen concentrators, one in his office, and a portable machine.

Is that different from what is used at the hospital? He also has tanks for backup.

It's the volume and the portability. Hospitals may get maxxed out on what they can produce - just as your husband would if he got a severe case of CoVid.

Your husband's machines are concentrating but not pressurizing oxygen. It's a very different process. CV-19 patients often need pressurized oxygen as opposed to merely higher oxygen content.

The machinery/tanks for that are not something you have at home.

YES! We talk about this all the time. Aren’t there hobbies that people always wanted to try? All of those things we “never have the time for” when working? You can order art supplies online, musical instruments, yarn, coloring books, paint by numbers. Almost every book ever written is available through ebook now. Cooking lessons stream free. We can watch every movie ever filmed from the comfort of our homes. Everything you’ve ever wanted to learn you can find lessons for on YouTube.

I don’t understand it. I understand being sad and lonely about not seeing friends and family. I don’t understand the need to wander around big box stores.

A lot of this is moot unless you already had supplies on hand - or still have a well-paying job and no family to help. I don't know about you, but things don't look great for some of my family in the upcoming year. I'm worried.

I have tons of hobbies. I'm an introvert, so I don't handle stress by going outside and socializing.

But some people do. Let's try to understand. They aren't okay with digital contact, they want the physiological contact that primates often seek.

Yes, that might be easier to make than the hat. Sometimes, in my laziness, I picture myself waiting in the prescription line wearing a paper bag with glasses.

I want to invent the bleach mixture shoe cleaning tray someday.
I believe such a thing already exists in shelter medicine. Shelters have outbreaks of parvo from time to time and have to keep one at the door.

I like to cook, try new recipes and enjoy cookbooks - especially those with tasty looking pictures - but it’s hard to do that now when you have to ration out even the most basic foodstuffs.
Much less buy some obscure spice or use up all your eggs on one dessert.

I just want an additional ONE months worth. I've tried and tried. No dice.

We have tried to get more than 1 month at a time of my husband's medication as well, but no luck with our prescription drug provider. So what we have done the last few years is make sure that we pick up the prescription on the first possible day that prescription can be filled, and over time we end up with a stockpile of several months' supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd