Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have coronavirus without knowing? Scientists are developing tests to find out
[...]

As much as 25 percent of people infected with the coronavirus may never show any symptoms, CDC director Robert Redfield told NPR.

But symptomatic or not, viruses leave a mark. When they enter the body the immune system goes to war against it, developing antibodies specially designed to kill it. These antibodies hang around in the bloodstream even after the war is won, granting immunity to that illness if it’s encountered again.

[...]

Creating a widely available ‘serological’ test — a test determining if specific antibodies are present in the blood — is one way to find out if someone had previously contracted COVID-19.

The CDC is ramping up efforts to conduct this testing, according to Vox.

[...]

For the coronavirus to be spreading the way it is, Dr. Cameron R. Wolfe, an associate professor of medicine at Duke University, told McClatchy News there must be a larger group of people with little to no symptoms who are capable of transmitting it.

[...]

In a random sample of 1,000 people, Wolfe said blood tests will show how many have the “antibody memory of having seen the coronavirus before.” Then scientists can look at how many of those knew they had the coronavirus, a similar illness or showed no symptoms at all.

[...]

Scientists and public health experts need to know who was infected so they have a better understanding of what proportion of the population still needs to be vaccinated, Wolfe told McClatchy.

[...]
So if people are totally asymptomatic... how long do they actually "carry" the live disease cells? Will they ever be able to build a model that shows the cycle of live transmission during a asymptomatic case...
I love Oprah so much. I’ve been waiting to hear from her. I’ve been thinking about her. I’d love to see her commercial if it’s online. Of course “she did it voluntarily” and “did the right thing”?? Love ya Kenzie but not sure what the insinuation is here...nobody’s holding a gun to her head I’m sure. Thank God she’s getting involved to help spread the word jmo.

Though jmo.... I am 99.9% sure she is not getting paid. Oprah will be working on donating large amounts of money down this road as well, I am sure. My guess is that her focus will relate to education assistance ... but she will be there...

Guys, the mods have added links to the other coronavirus threads (groceries, masks, stats, etc.) on page 1, post 1 (quoting post below). People tend to skip over the first few posts on new threads, but you really should look for changes and additions in each new thread.
I agree. I didn’t even think to check for sub forums until one of my posts was moved over. It’s a goldmine aiding in the delineation and focus of all the information that’s coming out. It’s coming so fast and changing so quickly. I have to remind myself of these other threads. Thanks @JaneEyre It’s really just only beginning and there is plenty of opportunity to add other threads to the bases as we need them going forward. This crisis is overwhelming and our heads are spinning. At some point, I think a lot of us need to stop the world for a second and zero in on our main concerns regarding our states, communities, families, health, fears, hopes and available resources.
Coronavirus - Covid-19

Cathedral of St. John the Divine, Including Crypt, Will Become a Hospital

The vast interior of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in Manhattan stood empty on Monday, the thousands of chairs that normally sit beneath its soaring ceiling and stained-glass windows removed to make room for a more grim sight: a coronavirus field hospital.

The cathedral, which describes itself as the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, said on Monday that its 600-foot-long nave and equally large subterranean crypt would be turned into an emergency hospital as part of the fight against the pandemic.

Nine climate-controlled medical tents capable of holding a total of at least 200 patients will be erected inside the cathedral by the end of the week, said the Rt. Rev. Clifton Daniel III, the dean of the cathedral.

The crypt, which is primarily accessible via a series of winding staircases, will be used as “a staging area” for medical personnel, he said. It is the first time the cathedral, which is the seat of the Episcopal Diocese of New York, will have been used for such a task, he said.
This is such a stunning church. In happier times, my son and I went inside for services a few weeks before the holidays that year in order to enjoy the music and the visual. It was beautifully decorated, of course. Hard to imagine what it looks like now, but good that it's available in this helpful way.

Thanks for asking :) I sent him some a little money and he tried Instacart yesterday but I don't think it will actually be delivered for a few days or maybe the weekend, apparently I accidentally deleted his texts with the info. It's so tempting to fly down there to be with him, he's stuck all alone in an apartment (apparently his roommate left) with no car, very little food and money, scared to go outside but losing his mind sitting in the apartment all day etc. He's feeling totally overwhelmed.
Something else you might try: Call a restaurant/chain restaurant in his area that delivers and order a meal or two for delivery to him.

Couple dress in period costumes for lockdown walks

I love this idea.

_111699639_georgianconstitutional-3.jpg
Image copyrightLUCAS J PITCHER/PRIOR ATTIRE
Image captionIzabela and Lucas Pitcher have been wearing a different period costume each day for their walk
A couple have been "lifting the spirits" of fellow villagers by dressing up in historical costumes for their daily exercise.

Izabela Pitcher said the outfits, normally used by re-enactors and museums, needed "airing" as many events have been cancelled.

Together with her husband Lucas, she dons the costumes and walks around their Buckinghamshire village.

She also hosts a quiz on social media, asking villagers to name the era.

Mrs Pitcher, 45, who runs a costuming business, said people had "started waving and waiting for us".

"I really didn't expect that," she said.

"We've met more villagers - at a safe social distance obviously - in the last week than we have in the last year of living here."

Skip Instagram post by izabelapriorattire

End of Instagram post by izabelapriorattire

_109028083_1px_white_line-nc.png

Mrs Pitcher posts a photo of her and husband dressed in the costumes, walking around the village near Milton Keynes, giving people the chance to guess which period the outfit was worn, as first reported in the Milton Keynes Citizen.

People also call out their guesses during their walk, she said.

_111699645_1880sconstitutiona-7-7.jpg
Image copyrightLUCAS J PITCHER/PRIOR ATTIRE
Image captionMrs Pitcher said there has been an "educational value" by encouraging villagers to name the era
She then posts the answer the following day.

Mrs Pitcher said: "It definitely lifts your spirits and it's nice to see people are getting some pleasure out of it, and there's an educational value to it too."

The coronavirus death toll in New York City has skyrocketed by 806 to 3,544 in just 24 hours.

The coronavirus death toll in the US has hit 12,876 with more than 398,000 confirmed cases.

The figure is almost double the number of deaths recorded on Tuesday in the country's coronavirus epicentre.

It comes Central Park was transformed into a 68-bed makeshift field hospital in just 48 hours to take the pressure off overwhelmed hospitals in the city.

The hospital has 41 patients currently - three of which are in the ICU - mostly from the hardest-hit boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens.

Eight hundred and six people die in New York City in a day | Daily Mail Online

I’m so sorry. My heart goes out to everyone in New York and all over the United States for the tragic loss you are suffering.

This is way outside the upper level of uncertainty that was on the IHME site that the government is using. Also, as the mayor and governor have said, many people are now dying at home and not being counted in the statistics. First they couldn't keep up with testing to diagnose, now they can't even keep up with the death's correctly attributed.
MOO

This is the graph which was just updated yesterday, And it has the incorrect projection so soon afterwards.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

NewYork.JPG

Definitely will tune into Cuomo's presser today

Thanks for asking :) I sent him some a little money and he tried Instacart yesterday but I don't think it will actually be delivered for a few days or maybe the weekend, apparently I accidentally deleted his texts with the info. It's so tempting to fly down there to be with him, he's stuck all alone in an apartment (apparently his roommate left) with no car, very little food and money, scared to go outside but losing his mind sitting in the apartment all day etc. He's feeling totally overwhelmed.

Why not hop in your car loaded with supplies to join him? It might take a day or 2, but if it's doable, why not? You would both feel better.

Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, career-politician running 'China-centric' WHO | Daily Mail Online

"Dr Tedros - who has never practised as a medical doctor - is a career politician who was born in what is now Eritrea, studied in the UK, then rose to the top of Ethiopia's government first as Health Minister and then Foreign Minister before being elected to lead the WHO in 2017.

He is now facing heavy criticism over his handling of the pandemic, especially for praise he heaped on China's communist party for its response - hailing the regime's 'commitment to transparency' and saying the speed with which it detected the virus was 'beyond words'.

The way he has handled this has made me livid.

It was obvious from the beginning he was a political hack for China. Imo.

He stupidly even believed them that it wasnt a human to human contact virus.

Plus he poo pooed..it when countries closed their borders not letting anyone from China in. Gah! It's like he is a PR man for China.

No one gives more funds to WHO than the United States. Its replusive as to how ignorant, reckless, and dangerous this man has been, and hes not even a medical doctor.

Imo, he needs to be removed immediately. He has done far more harm for all countrie that are dealing with this pandemic. He's way too busy patting China on the back when China is the very reason countries worldwide are in the worst health pandemic in over a hundred years.

If he's not immediately removed the US should cutoff all funds they receive.

He is the very reason I no longer listen to WHO when he holds PCs.

He's been nothing more than the worst disastrous misinformation spokesperson since this began.

Jmho only

Last edited:
My point was I hope she was honestly trying to get the word out and not trying to make easy money. Oprah grates on my nerves but I know she has a HUGE fan base and people will listen to her. Oprah does not need me as a fan and I generally ignore her but there are millions that love her and will listen.

I guess I am saying, I hope she did the commercial as a freebie to get the word out to the public.

You are not alone, I wondered the same thing.

The widely quoted (MSM) modeling from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), independent global health research center at the University of Washington, was revised again last night.

Last week, with "full social distancing" though May, the model predicted 100,000 deaths from COVID-19.

The estimate was modified downward a few days ago to 80,000 deaths.

Last night, the model was again quietly revised downward to 60,000 deaths, with peak in 4 days.

Americans are doing are pretty crap job of social distancing, with individual states locking down (or not) at different dates. Many people are not following recommended protocol.

How can the model keep revising downward? Probably from the input data, which gets better every day. My guess is that the new data keeps showing an increase in the number of asymptomatic COVID cases, which pushes the death rate lower. Death rate = deaths/number of cases.

This is very good news.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.31.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.31.40 AM.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 8
Do all of you expect a huge ‘Round 2’, post lockdown? I do, at least in my area. Once lockdown is lifted, I really don’t anticipate my life changing much from how I currently live.

Last edited:
Last night, the model was again quietly revised downward to 60,000 deaths, with peak in 4 days.

Americans are doing are pretty crap job of social distancing, with individual states locking down (or not) at different dates. Many people are not following recommended protocol.

How can the model keep revising downward? Probably from the input data, which gets better every day. My guess is that the new data keeps showing an increase in the number of asymptomatic COVID cases, which pushes the death rate lower. Death rate = deaths/number of cases.

This is very good news.

I think it is now widely reported Americans are doing a good job (idk where).
With the model revising south, I’m afraid more people will disregard directives. Moo

Do all of you expect a huge ‘Round 2’, post lockdown? I do at least in my area. Once lockdown is lifted, I really don’t anticipate my life changing much from how I currently live.

I do, too. Friends and family agree with me, we’re not exiting the lockdown as soon as it’s over. I am convinced the second wave will kick in within days of the lockdown being lifted.

This is way outside the upper level of uncertainty that was on the IHME site that the government is using. Also, as the mayor and governor have said, many people are now dying at home and not being counted in the statistics. First they couldn't keep up with testing to diagnose, now they can't even keep up with the death's correctly attributed.
MOO

This is the graph which was just updated yesterday, And it has the incorrect projection so soon afterwards.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

View attachment 242289

Definitely will tune into Cuomo's presser today

From your graph, you can see the day before had a much lower count. Collecting this data is variable and depends on the timing that information is obtained. Generally, researchers will look at rolling averages, like 3 day averages.

If you do that with the last few days, you can see the death toll may be flattening.

Matthew McConaughey continues to encourage fans to "turn a red light into a green light." The "True Detective" star recently joined a Zoom call to play bingo with the residents of the Enclave at Round Rock Senior Living in his home state of Texas. Matthew was with his wife Camila, their two kids and his mom Kay as they called into the senior meet-up.

"Bingo is a game of flat circles."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members