Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 hr 44 min ago
Boris Johnson is "responding to treatment," says spokesman

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is responding to treatment for the coronavirus and remains in a stable condition in hospital, according to his official spokesman.

“The Prime Minister is receiving oxygen treatment and is breathing without support,” he said.

Johnson has spent three nights in St. Thomas’s Hospital in central London – two of which have been in intensive care.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1.4 million globally - CNN

i hope your death rate goes down. I have been shocked that ours is so low in Florida, given our population....

Here are our death metrics. I'm *hoping* we are trending downward.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200408-112127_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200408-112127_Samsung Internet.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20200408-112153_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200408-112153_Samsung Internet.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 21
New York City mayor: "We’re not out of the woods"

[...]

“As much as we all want to get back to normal, as much as we’re all feeling like we just want to get outside and socialize again, it's not that time yet,” he tells CNN’s John Berman. “In fact, what this says…is that social distancing, the shelter in place is working. We got to stick to it to make sure we really defeat the coronavirus and to absolutely be careful it doesn't rebound back on us.”
“We surpassed the number of people who died in the World Trade Center in the last couple of days. … We've got to realize just how destructive this is,” he added.

The mayor said the city has enough ventilators to last for the week, but he’s not sure about next week due to the “unpredictable” nature of the virus. “For the first time, we got a bit of breathing room. I can tell you we can get through this week, we got great help from the federal government and the state government.

But also the number of people who need them finally is leveling off a little,” he said, but advises “we’re not out of the woods.”

[...]

It's too early to say when UK coronavirus cases will peak, government official says

e6de0960-3f4d-47d6-9594-bf67a3f231dd.jpg

Doctors unload a patient outside St. Thomas' Hospital in London, on April 7.
It’s still too early to say when the number of coronavirus cases in the UK will peak, the Prime Minister’s official spokesperson says.

[...]

“(It’s) too early to say when the peak is going to be,” the spokesman said. “Our focus now needs to be on stopping the transmission of this disease while building capacity in the NHS. While this is difficult, the public needs to stick with it.”

I've been googling about this, then realized I should just ask the question here, LOL.
Is it possible for individuals to be "resistant" to a novel coronavirus? I don't mean immunity, which may or may not be the result of having the virus and developing antibodies to it.
Maybe I'm remembering something from fiction, but doesn't "nature" have some way of preventing a species die-off? Aren't there always a number of individuals who have been exposed to a novel virus, but do not test positive?
I guess the term would be individual "resistance?"
IMO

Some uplifting news:

TJ Kim can’t play lacrosse — COVID-19 took the sport away. And at age 16, he can’t drive alone.

But Kim can fly. And he's turned his flying lessons into missions of mercy, bringing desperately needed supplies to rural hospitals in need.

wonderful story. These uplifting stories that WSers are finding are just so important and valuable. Humanity wins. Love wins.

White House coronavirus official says they're investigating when social distancing can be relaxed

[...]

"We're doing a series of clear investigations of what happened in Washington and L.A. and what does that mean and how you keep the number of cases down," Birx said today during an appearance on ABC's "Good Morning America.”

Birx also said officials expect to roll out an antibody test in the next 10 to 14 days "so we can really tell how many Americans were asymptomatic and infected."

"This makes a big difference in really understanding who can go back to work and how they can go back to work, so all of those pieces need to come together over the next couple of weeks," Birx told ABC's George Stephanopoulos.

Nearly 300 crew members of USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested for Covid-19

30f49957-a140-428b-b520-3325b872c1b0.jpg

The aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt in the Philippine Sea February 29.

There are 286 sailors aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt who have tested positive for Covid-19, a US defense official tells CNN.

More than 90% of the crew have now been tested.

There are 2,329 sailors who have been moved ashore. However, that is still behind the April 3 target of 2,700.

New Jersey governor urges residents to stay home during Passover and Easter holidays

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy again stressed the importance of staying at home during the coronavirus pandemic, after he slammed “jackasses” this week who aren’t practicing proper social distancing.

Murphy told residents to avoid holding family gatherings during Passover and Easter.

[...]

“God knows, we need the Feds to come in in a big way,” he said. “We’re going to need another big slug of money to make sure we can stay above water and continue to serve the folks who need us most.”

Murphy said the state doesn’t have enough beds and equipment right now, but is sourcing supplies from around the world and has opened a 500-bed field hospital.

Link please to a paper? I've followed this from the beginning on google scholar and have never heard such a thing as this. All the papers point to ACE-2 -
Still catching up on the posts; this has probably been posted:
COVID-19: Attacks the 1-Beta Chain of Hemoglobin and Captures the Porphyrin to Inhibit Human Heme Metabolism

"The attack will cause less and less hemoglobin that can carry oxygen and carbon dioxide. The lung cells have extremely intense poisoning and inflammatory [response] due to the inability to exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen frequently, which eventually results in ground-glass-like lung images."

"According to the validation analysis of these finds, chloroquine ...effectively relieve the symptoms of respiratory distress."

Indicates that early treatment before the virus binds to too much heme would be more successful. MOO
Interesting that they are beginning to understand how the virus works.

Last edited:
I've been googling about this, then realized I should just ask the question here, LOL.
Is it possible for individuals to be "resistant" to a novel coronavirus? I don't mean immunity, which may or may not be the result of having the virus and developing antibodies to it.
Maybe I'm remembering something from fiction, but doesn't "nature" have some way of preventing a species die-off? Aren't there always a number of individuals who have been exposed to a novel virus, but do not test positive?
I guess the term would be individual "resistance?"
IMO

I don't know. But it is interesting. My daughter has been working full time at a store, she has been exposed constantly. She has not ever been sick. Maybe she has had COVID19, and has been asymptomatic.

The next 2 to 3 weeks are crucial, Putin says

71c82413-5d33-46b8-8243-1a5db5a388f7.jpg

Russian President Vladimir Putin attend a meeting via video conference with heads of local governments at the Novo-Ogaryovo residence outside Moscow, Wednesday, April 8.

[...]

"We carefully study the experience of all countries that also faced the coronavirus threat, and that experience says the first four to five weeks into the epidemic are the most difficult,” Putin said in a televised government meeting today.

He added:

"This means that the next two to three weeks will be defining ... This is the period when maximum concentration of all resources is required of us as well as strict compliance with medical recommendations and the preventive measures that are being introduced in every region today.

Russia has officially reported more than 8,600 cases and more than 60 deaths so far, according to country’s health authorities.

Fauci: "It’s going to be a bad week for deaths"

d98de902-f0f7-4ded-bb9e-7b0ee379f38b.jpg

Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Anthony Fauci looks on during the daily briefing on the novel coronavirus at the White House on Tuesday, April 7.

[...]

Speaking on Fox News, Fauci said in New York there is a decrease in hospitalizations, admissions to intensive care and intubations, but warned the increase of deaths is “sobering.”

“The number of deaths on a given day continues to increase, at the same time — seemingly paradoxically, but not — we’re saying that we are starting to see some glimmers of hope because the deaths generally lag by a couple of weeks behind what’s fueling the outbreak,” Fauci said.

Fauci added, “Driving that and ahead of that is that fact that we are going to start to see the beginning of a turnaround, so we need to keep pushing on the mitigation strategies, because there is no doubt that’s having a positive impact on the dynamics of the outbreak.”

“As we get further on, beyond this week, we should start to see a turnaround which is a good sign,” he added.

I think what my main concern is how long does it remain with asymptomatic carriers.
Right now, “we really don’t know if people who are truly asymptomatic can transmit or not,” said Smith of Kent State University.
https://www-buzzfeednews-com.cdn.am...3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Everything I have read is back and forth. Some say yes, asymptomatic are adding to positive cases. Others are not sure. IMO, we just need to act like we all have it and stay away from others at this time.

JetBlue will stop operating at multiple airports in the same city

3b016a5b-88ff-4823-9670-9adf2b45d1bc.jpg

JetBlue appears to be the first US airline to use new rules finalized yesterday that allow airlines operating at multiple airports in the same city to cut back on flights.

The rules: The Department of Transportation rules allow airlines serving multiple airports in the same geographical area to consolidate service at a single airport. That allows airlines to cut back on duplicative ground operations — such as customer service agents and restocking planes — while remaining eligible for federal stimulus funds. To receive the funds, an airline must continue to provide at least one flight each week to the areas they currently serve.

JetBlue will use that approach in five of its markets:
  • In Washington, DC, JetBlue will suspend operations at the Baltimore-Washington, and operate flights only from Reagan National.
  • In the New York City, JetBlue will use two New York-area airports – Newark and JFK – and suspend operations at LaGuardia, Westchester County and Stewart.
  • In the Boston area, the airline will continue operations at Logan International and suspend operations at Providence's T. F. Green International Airport (PVD)
  • Around Los Angeles, flights will still take off from LAX and Long Beach, but service will stop at Hollywood Burbank and Ontario International.
  • And around San Francisco, JetBlue will operate at San Francisco International, but not San Jose.
[...]

Other airlines are expected to make similar announcements.

JetBlue has cut its schedule by about 80%.

New York City mayor says the city needs fewer ventilators than initially projected

[...]

There has been a reduction in the number of new ventilators needed each day in New York City, he said, saying 100 or less new ventilators are needed each day this week, compared to 200-300 new ventilators that were needed each day last week.

There are 5,500 ventilators, including 500 from New York State delivered from New York state Tuesday, available throughout the city’s hospitals.

There is a small emergency reserve of 135 ventilators “in case something has to be quickly moved to a place where the need is greatest,” according to de Blasio.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads