Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of masks. I have a question: I have two surgical masks. I wore one to Walmart a few days ago and left it on my car seat when I returned. (few people in store, social distancing, etc.) Would that mask be safe to use again in about 7 days?

Earlier I wondered if it this would end up higher than flu season 2017-2018 of of 61K deaths.

Today the estimate dropped below the flu (slightly) but the trend is estimates keep dropping so it could end up even lower. That would be great.

Key coronavirus model revised downward, predicts 60K deaths in US by August (The Hill).
We are already at almost 15,000. And we haven't peaked yet. And Southern States are going to peak later-a lot of them have been lax on social distancing. I don't believe this model.

So, I usually take the “removable padding” out of swimsuit tops and bras.

My dog got a hold of a bra pad somewhere and was running around with it a hundred miles an hour like it’s the best thing in the world. Well it is sitting on the ground now where he left it and when I glanced at it I thought it looks just like a mask.

There was one early photo of a man wearing a bra on his face in China at the airport that was circulating on SM.

Anyway, I wonder how effective these removable bra pads are. Anyone?

ETA: What a weird post to type. Whoda thunk I’d be posting about wearing bras on your face...

Makes me think of “Weird Science”:

Don't know about pads, but it is quite easy to make a mask out of bra cups, using one cup and the elastic straps. Check YouTube.

By the end of the day we may pass Spain in total deaths. France and the U.K. are also starting to see a lot of deaths.

The U.S. will certainly pass these countries in total deaths, but we are a country of 330 million people. Our death rate is much lower per capita, and is expected to stay much lower. Third column from the right shows deaths per 1 million people.

The European countries have a denser population and were hit earlier, when less was known about the virus; which probably led to the higher death rate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.14.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.14.31 PM.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 16
Do all of you expect a huge ‘Round 2’, post lockdown? I do, at least in my area. Once lockdown is lifted, I really don’t anticipate my life changing much from how I currently live.

Yes.

I’m personally going to be very worried to “venture back out there”. I might stay home longer than others so I can “assess the situation”, jmo.

This discussion really IS interesting.

Is there a chart where we can compare pneumonia and influenza for DecJan from this year vs last year and other years? Not that that’s definitive evidence or anything, just curious. I wonder if there was a spike in influenza and pneumonia in comparison to other years. Even if so, that’s not proof by any means but I sure do wonder.
This might do the trick. Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)
Eta: I need a little help defining the variables in the interactive charting and mapping graphic. There’s a drop down link. Look for this:
upload_2020-4-8_18-33-17.png

Last edited:
This discussion really IS interesting.

Is there a chart where we can compare pneumonia and influenza for DecJan from this year vs last year and other years? Not that that’s definitive evidence or anything, just curious. I wonder if there was a spike in influenza and pneumonia in comparison to other years. Even if so, that’s not proof by any means but I sure do wonder.
eventually...i am sure we will see...but even researchers are too busy right now with the present...

Something to do with winter? Jmo

ETA that makes zero sense but I'll throw it against the wall.

No - it makes really good sense. Since we're just theorizing.

California is really warm and hot from September through November. That's our real summer. But by Dec-Jan, it's damper and colder (two conditions this virus likes). I've also thought about how most bacteria dislike the cold and therefore many medical facilities, including nursing homes, are kept at lower temps than maybe some people would like (this is cultural). Dry, we know, discourages CoVid19.

So it's not at all zero sense, CSIDreamer.

I just spoke to one daughter (who was in close proximity from the Chinese-returned people). It was 4 weeks, however, before she got sick, thinking it was bronchitis. I wish we knew for sure.

Thanks... it certainly states how serious this issue is and as stated, Countries that have successfully avoided being overwhelmed by COVID-19 have used extensive testing and contact tracing.
Certainly South Korea's lead of this will hopefully teach others. It's almost as if we can get temporary employees (just like US 2020 census takers/workers) to be trained in contact tracing. Our WS group here would be a great pilot batch, don't you think?

I am just hoping that eventually we will actually get statistics of how long an asymptomatic person carries. And how soon we will be able to test EVERYBODY.

I’m in Australia and contact tracing is a major part of our response. Anyone designated a “close contact” is required to isolate for 14 days.

From the NSW Department of Health:

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) close contact - what you need to know - Fact sheets

Close contact

A close contact is someone who has been face to face for at least 15 minutes, or been in the same closed space for at least 2 hours, as someone who has tested positive for the COVID-19 when that person was infectious.

Isolate yourself at home and monitor your health closely
If you have been identified to have had close contact with someone who is confirmed to have infection with COVID-19 while they were infectious, you must:

• Isolate yourself at home until 14 days after you were last exposed to the infectious person. You should not leave the house, except for seeking medical care. You should stay in a different room to other people as much as possible, and wear a surgical mask when you are in the same room as another person and when seeking medical care. Use a separate bathroom if available. Do not go to work, school, or public areas, and do not use public transportation, taxi services or rideshares.
  • watch for signs and symptoms:
    • fever
    • cough
    • shortness of breath
    • other early symptoms to watch for are chills, body aches, sore throat, headache and runny nose, muscle pain or diarrhoea
If you develop symptoms
  • If you are seriously unwell and it is an emergency, call 000 immediately.
  • Continue to keep yourself apart from other people as much as possible (eg in a different room).
  • Wear a surgical mask if you have one.
  • Call your local public health unit on 1300 066 055, they will assess you and advise on what to do next.
  • If you can’t contact the public health unit, see a doctor, preferably at a hospital emergency department, as soon as possible.
  • Phone the emergency department before attending so they can make arrangements for when you arrive to prevent spread of infection to others.
  • Do not travel on public transport, use taxis or ride-shares and do not attend any public places.

this constant measurement against the flu needs much more clarification. The ages, and comorbidities are also a great part of the flu deaths. Flu is usually just that final step.... This is not the same.

meant to add this..... The comparisons (of the two viruses), I'm not sure how helpful they are. It's clear the virus that causes COVID-19 is more deadly than the flu, just based on the percentage of the people who get the infection die from the infection," Tumlinson said. "The estimates (of COVID-19's death-rate) range, but they're generally around the 2% mark at this time; we'll see where they're at, at the end of the pandemic, but flu is generally around 0.1% or less, so that would make this quite a bit more deadly than the flu."

So, I usually take the “removable padding” out of swimsuit tops and bras.

My dog got a hold of a bra pad somewhere and was running around with it a hundred miles an hour like it’s the best thing in the world. Well it is sitting on the ground now where he left it and when I glanced at it I thought it looks just like a mask.

There was one early photo of a man wearing a bra on his face in China at the airport that was circulating on SM.

Anyway, I wonder how effective these removable bra pads are. Anyone?

ETA: What a weird post to type. Whoda thunk I’d be posting about wearing bras on your face...

Makes me think of “Weird Science”:

my feeling from like day one... just the padding alone is such extra barrier to entering droplets.... I just feel that this is a very overlooked potential mask--that is probably more effective than all the cotten masks that are being made... I actually "tried it out"... I could absolutely still breathe through my bra cups.

I’m in Australia and contact tracing is a major part of our response. Anyone designated a “close contact” is required to isolate for 14 days.

From the NSW Department of Health:

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) close contact - what you need to know - Fact sheets

Close contact

A close contact is someone who has been face to face for at least 15 minutes, or been in the same closed space for at least 2 hours, as someone who has tested positive for the COVID-19 when that person was infectious.

Isolate yourself at home and monitor your health closely
If you have been identified to have had close contact with someone who is confirmed to have infection with COVID-19 while they were infectious, you must:

• Isolate yourself at home until 14 days after you were last exposed to the infectious person. You should not leave the house, except for seeking medical care. You should stay in a different room to other people as much as possible, and wear a surgical mask when you are in the same room as another person and when seeking medical care. Use a separate bathroom if available. Do not go to work, school, or public areas, and do not use public transportation, taxi services or rideshares.
  • watch for signs and symptoms:
    • fever
    • cough
    • shortness of breath
    • other early symptoms to watch for are chills, body aches, sore throat, headache and runny nose, muscle pain or diarrhoea
If you develop symptoms
  • If you are seriously unwell and it is an emergency, call 000 immediately.
  • Continue to keep yourself apart from other people as much as possible (eg in a different room).
  • Wear a surgical mask if you have one.
  • Call your local public health unit on 1300 066 055, they will assess you and advise on what to do next.
  • If you can’t contact the public health unit, see a doctor, preferably at a hospital emergency department, as soon as possible.
  • Phone the emergency department before attending so they can make arrangements for when you arrive to prevent spread of infection to others.
  • Do not travel on public transport, use taxis or ride-shares and do not attend any public places.
Australia, like South Korea take this contact tracing so seriously.... This is so critical IF you have tests available.

I'm really surprised that the death rate hasnt been skyhigh in all healthcare or nursing homes across all countries worldwide.

Here in the US some nursing homes across the states are known to not take care of their elderly patients well even in normal times. In several stories I've read over the years nursing homes have been found to be filthy, and many of the elderly were found to be mistreated, and abused.

I know in many countries the elderly are highly regarded, and taken care of very well.... whether its inside the homes with their family members or in a place who takes excellent care of them in their older age.

However it seems so many of our elderly in our country who are in nursing homes are forgotten souls who's own families doesnt even come to see them. Maybe that is one of the reasons why there are horror stories of gross neglect, and abuse happening in nursing homes. The staff knows no one ever comes to see them from their own family to make sure they are getting excellent care they all so richly deserve, even more so now if possible.

As an aside:
One of our daughters from Atlanta called, and was telling me this past Monday she saw a news story out of CA where a nanny smothered a young child, yet they listed the child's death as being from the virus. She didnt tell me if the child was autopsied to make sure they actually had the virus, but she did say the media did ask why it was listed that way instead of murder. The spokesperson said if anyone has the virus the federal government allocates more money depending on the amount of virus cases they have.

She calls me just about every day so when she calls I will ask her which news site she saw it or read it on.
Jmho tho
My first job in healthcare (back in the 1970's) was in a nursing home and it's the worst job I ever held. I won't go into details but what I always remembered was the owner having conniptions if the sheets weren't cornered properly while ignoring some horrors that went on. I quit as soon as I could and went to work at a hospital.

I promised myself I'd never put my parents in such a place. My mom lived with us for the last years of her life and sometimes caring for her was difficult but I don't regret my decision.

Hopefully care has gotten at least a little better since then. My heart breaks for the elderly in nursing homes who cannot have the comfort of their families right now. Some don't understand the circumstances and must feel so lonely and abandoned.

Maybe the coronavirus will bring about some positive changes with nursing homes being more closely scrutinized during the pandemic . I hope so!

The U.S. will certainly pass these countries in total deaths, but we are a country of 330 million people. Our death rate is much lower per capita, and is expected to stay much lower. Third column from the right shows deaths per 1 million people.

The European countries have a denser population and were hit earlier, when less was known about the virus; which probably led to the higher death rate.

Upon an initial glance, those US testing are more than other countries comparatively? Over 2 million tested?

China is blank in these fields.

—-

This might do the trick. Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)
Eta: I need a little help defining the variables in the interactive charting and mapping graphic. There’s a drop down link. Look for this:
View attachment 242342
Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members