Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesco tells people to visit stores to get food

It said in the first weeks of the virus, there was "significant panic buying", with sales up almost a third.

Tesco said that had now subsided with food stocks "returning to normal".

"Between 85% and 90% of all food bought will require a visit to a store and here significant changes to the store environment have been implemented to maximise safety for colleagues and customers," chief executive Dave Lewis said.

Mr Lewis said that during its peak week of stockpiling, Tesco sold:

• 3.1 million containers of liquid soap, an increase of 363%
  • 6 million tins of beans, more than double the usual amount
  • 3.3 million tins of tomatoes, up 115% compared to a typical week
  • 3.6 million packets of toilet roll, an increase of 76%
In contrast, he said sales of clothing and fuel both fell by 70%.

The chain said it would continue trying to "prioritise home delivery for the most vulnerable in society".

More at link.

(Including how they are having difficulty meeting on line orders)

Adding to your post, businesses that deliver

I saw that Sam's Club membership is offered on GMA deals half price if anyone is interested, they deliver
GMA Deals
Sam's Club

Also online store BOXED
Bulk Shopping | No Membership | Save Money, Time, & Gas | Boxed

Costco delivers too
https://www.costco.com/all-costco-grocery.html

True Christians don't mind dying of COVID-19 if they're infected at church': Louisiana pastor insists on still holding services as he faces charges for already having defied state's ban on public gatherings

Louisiana pastor says congregants will die for faith, holds services despite COVID-19 restrictions | Daily Mail Online

Really? They don't mind dying alone at home, or dropping dead on the street, perhaps lucky enough to make it to hospital where medical supplies are sparse? People really need to think about what's best for themselves at this time and ignore everyone else.

Kansas lawmakers OVERTURN limit on social gatherings so people can head to church on Easter Sunday as state's death toll jumps 40 percent in a day

Kansas lawmakers OVERTURN limit on social gatherings so people can head to church on Easter Sunday | Daily Mail Online

I can’t believe lives will be put at risk for an Easter Sunday service. You do not need to be in a place of worship to pray. I was raised catholic so I understand how important Easter Mass is but this is a life or death risk people are taking.

There's no "oops, I need a re-take" with the virus. One mistake can cost someone's life.

I had a grocery delivery 2 weeks ago, including milk. I put almost everything in the garage for 3 days. The milk froze. It was awful in coffee.

Back in the day, when a milkman came to your house delivering butter and milk, our milk almost always froze. You'd go out to bring in the milk and there was a column of cream sticking out of the bottle neck where it had pushed the cap off. That won't happen these days, not enough cream.

You do have to shake the milk before using and it is better to defrost it in the frig. Sometimes it may take a day or two. I do it all the time, much less waste and I never run out.

Colorado:

“In a statewide address Monday, Polis extended Colorado’s stay-at-home order to April 26. Polis said Wednesday that he has confidence in Colorado’s ability to achieve that date if people stay at home.”

[...]

“The more people stay at home, we can hit that date or sooner,” Polis said. “If people are failing to stay at home and mixing unnecessarily and spreading the virus, that date could have to go longer if the deaths continue to pile up.”

[...]

“Any moves to return to normalcy will be incremental. The Governor says his plan is still being finalized but has floated ideas like restaurants slowly opening with a percentage of capacity, then slowly increasing guest limits as public health and hospital leaders are confident patients will not overload the health care system.”

[...]

“The effective reopening of society will take massive amounts of testing for COVID-19. Polis said, the state is able to test at ten times the rate as they were previously, but also recognized the need for more tests should businesses begin to reopen.

The tests don’t necessarily be for COVID-19 in every corner of the state.
“Testing will be at a much greater scale,” he said, “Those details will be forthcoming and don’t think just testing, think things that are instantaneous and quick like temperature checks.””

Gov. Polis provides Wednesday, April 8 update on Colorado coronavirus response

—-

Colorado plans new hospital sites as state prepares for coronavirus surge

Colorado orders refrigerator trucks, plans new hospital sites as state prepares for coronavirus toll to increase

TDP-L-DENVER-COVID-19-RJS-34198.jpg

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers staff and others meet outside the Colorado Convention Center before heading inside the center for a walk-through on April 6, 2020, in Denver. The center will be converted into a hospital to care for recovering COVID-19 patients.

[...]

“The Jefferson County Coroner’s Office requested a refrigerated semi-trailer from state officials in March to use as a temporary morgue. It has not yet received the trailer from the state, however the county has procured two refrigerated containers that are expected to arrive in a couple of weeks.

The coroner’s office has the ability to hold 40 bodies, but the capacity is often a third or half full, said Chief Deputy Coroner Dan Pruett.

“This is pre-planning for what we don’t really know what to expect,” he said. “There’s talk of a surge and a spike in death cases.””

Last edited:
I saw video of the new nightingale hospital in London and the new Louisa Jordan Hospital in Glasgow (Scotland) for coronavirus patients and have the same concerns there. I’m absolutely shocked they don’t have individual cubicles or even curtains separating the beds just a 1/2 height partition wall. Thousands of patients and staff are all breathing the same air in an enclosed space and it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Nightmare.

In my country patients with severe symptoms are admitted to the hospitals, and for the less severe ones the army had set huge tents in front of the hospital (not bad at all, but still...) and had "refurnished" a shopping center.
I´ll try to find some pictures.

Here are some:

Pogledajte kako izgledaju šatori kod KB Dubrava, Plenković zahvalio vojnicima na dobro obavljenom poslu – ZG express

arena bolnica - بحث Google

I hope it is not against the rules.

I thought only teenagers shook the milk. Is there a reason that we don't normally shake the milk?

Yes, there is - because what you buy in the market isn't frozen. You shake the milk to recombine what little cream there is with the milk. Also, when you see lumps, that usually means there are bits of milk still frozen - shake it up.

Sailor on Mercy hospital ship tests positive for coronavirus – Daily Breeze

OCR-L-VIRUS-SECURITY-0401-1.jpg

A hospital crew member aboard the USNS Mercy has tested positive for COVID-19. The 1,000-bed Navy ship is at the Port of Los Angeles helping treat non-COVID patients from Los Angeles-area hospitals.

Information about the positive test was made public late Wednesday. It is not presently known where the sailor contracted the coronavirus and if any other medical personnel on the ship has been infected, said Lt. Joe Pfaff, a spokesman for the Mercy.

Oh noooo: :(

Coronavirus: Charlotte Figi, Colorado girl who inspired medical marijuana reform, dies at 13

S7OLISX4HBC43ACDDU7NLMWLTY.jpg

In a 2014 photo, Charlotte Figi, walks around inside a greenhouse for a special strain of medical marijuana known as Charlotte's Web, which helped stop her seizures. Figi died Tuesday. She was 13. (Brennan Linsley/Associated Press)

—-

“The CBD strain of cannabis that helped Charlotte Figi was named Charlotte’s Web in her honor, according to the Sun.

Paige Figi and the founders of the Charlotte’s Web product became advocates for legalizing CBD, the newspaper reported. The Charlotte’s Web Medical Hemp Act was passed by Congress in 2014.

“Your work is done Charlotte, the world is changed, and you can now rest knowing that you leave the world a better place,” the Realm of Caring Foundation wrote on Instagram.

In a Facebook post, the Charlotte’s Web team eulogized Charlotte.

“What began as her story, became the shared story of hundreds of thousands, and the inspiration of many millions more in the journey of their betterment,” the team wrote. “Charlotte was and will be, the heartbeat of our passion, and the conviction that the dignity and health of a human being is their right.””

A hospital crew member aboard the USNS Mercy has tested positive for COVID-19. The 1,000-bed Navy ship is at the Port of Los Angeles helping treat non-COVID patients from Los Angeles-area hospitals.

Information about the positive test was made public late Wednesday. It is not presently known where the sailor contracted the coronavirus and if any other medical personnel on the ship has been infected, said Lt. Joe Pfaff, a spokesman for the Mercy.

Oh no. Terrible news.

Oh boy...

U.K Government Coronavirus Safety Advert

428FD354-102F-46F3-B92E-7959DBE63447.jpeg

I know it is going to be extremely hard not to go out this Easter weekend, I can’t see my Mum or family either and it is incredibly difficult. But please follow the NHS advice above - STAY HOME = PROTECT THE NHS = SAVE LIVES / Don’t risk putting your loved ones or friends in life threatening danger.

Nightmare.

In my country patients with severe symptoms are admitted to the hospitals, and for the less severe ones the army had set huge tents in front of the hospital (not bad at all, but still...) and had "refurnished" a shopping center.
I´ll try to find some pictures.

Here are some:

Pogledajte kako izgledaju šatori kod KB Dubrava, Plenković zahvalio vojnicima na dobro obavljenom poslu – ZG express

arena bolnica - بحث Google

I hope it is not against the rules.

Wouldn't that be the place to die from the virus! That is what is being set up around the world to handle the overflow of the infected population - we are finally learning from China.

That's what I thought - no confirmed test yet. A reliable test is needed so people who are on the other side of the virus can safely kick-start economies. More countries than those mentioned in the link (thank you for that) are developing antibody tests.

You are welcome, otto!

Last edited by a moderator:
BREAKING: CDC issues new guidance saying essential workers who have been exposed to COVID-19 can RETURN to work if showing no symptoms in first step towards reopening the U.S.
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines Wednesday night for essential workers who are exposed to COVID-19
  • Exposed critical workers can go back to work if they're asymptomatic
  • Previously all exposed workers were told to isolate for 14 days
  • They have to follow new guidelines including taking their temperature before work, wearing a face mask at all times, and practicing social distancing
  • Employers in essential industries are also being told to send sick workers home, take temperatures of employees and increase air exchange in buildings
  • Senate Democrats are now rallying behind these critical employees by calling for a 'Heroes Fund' to increase their pay by up to $25,000
CDC issues new guidance rules for essential workers exposed to coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Won't this spread the virus faster among the essential workers? If people are contagious before symptoms show then sending employees home only after they get a temperature is too late. So much for flattening the curve... :eek:o_O:confused:

MOO.

I suppose two tests are needed before self-isolation rules can be relaxed : test for the virus, test for the antibodies. Contact tracing has to be increased too, so that if people are working again and one becomes sick, identifying the source becomes critical in maintaining little to no transmission.

Yes, both tests are needed if we want to plan anything ahead and relax the measures, that is how I understood the epidemiologists.

And contact tracing is the most important thing.

In my country, excellent results has been accomplished only by the means of contact tracing, without excessive testing.

We have only 19 deaths so far, in a country of 4 000 000 people.

I was always critical of our government, I can not believe I am actually proud of them now.
:)

U.K Government Coronavirus Safety Advert

I know it is going to be extremely hard not to go out this Easter weekend, I can’t see my Mum or family either and it is incredibly difficult. But please follow the NHS advice above - STAY HOME = PROTECT THE NHS = SAVE LIVES / Don’t risk putting your loved ones or friends in life threatening danger.

How long until there are 2 million in the USA - one week? 10 days? won't happen?

upload_2020-4-8_22-56-40.png

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,518,773 Cases and 88,505 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

There was a report I posted yesterday or day before -"how we have been fooled by the corona virus and now we have found it's secret". This is the original research from which that laymans report is based on. The virus is very different. It is attacking the hemoglobin, binding to the porphyrin, breaking the iron ion out, so oxygen can not be carried. It explains why men, older people have more of abnormal hemoglobin, and why Chloroquine interferes with the virus. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s...

I read that preprint/non-peer reviewed article, that is now in version 5 and not accepted in a journal. I found that Dr. Seheult disagrees with this article as his COVID19 patients (and what has been in literature to date) present as ARDS patients, and he has this covered and explains why he disagrees in his most recent YouTube video below. (He does say, it could happen, but he's not seen/read of before)

Like Dr. Campbell, he covers what is in the news daily, but Dr. Seheult is much more technical than Dr. Campbell - Roger Seheult, MD is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care. In earlier threads he was posted daily along with Dr. Campbell.

( The article you refer to is at COVID-19: Attacks the 1-Beta Chain of Hemoglobin and Captures the Porphyrin to Inhibit Human Heme Metabolism )

In the next few days, he's going to address the strategy of ventilation.

Last edited:
BREAKING: CDC issues new guidance saying essential workers who have been exposed to COVID-19 can RETURN to work if showing no symptoms in first step towards reopening the U.S.
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines Wednesday night for essential workers who are exposed to COVID-19
  • Exposed critical workers can go back to work if they're asymptomatic
  • Previously all exposed workers were told to isolate for 14 days
  • They have to follow new guidelines including taking their temperature before work, wearing a face mask at all times, and practicing social distancing
  • Employers in essential industries are also being told to send sick workers home, take temperatures of employees and increase air exchange in buildings
  • Senate Democrats are now rallying behind these critical employees by calling for a 'Heroes Fund' to increase their pay by up to $25,000
CDC issues new guidance rules for essential workers exposed to coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Won't this spread the virus faster among the essential workers? If people are contagious before symptoms show then sending employees home only after they get a temperature is too late. So much for flattening the curve... :eek:o_O:confused:

MOO.
Why not test the exposed workers first? Anyone testing positive should not go to work.o_Oo_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd